The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: RW Fever check it and see....gotta fever of 103...And other Random musings  (Read 52095 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
I posted some of this in another thread but wanted to post it where Newbies might see it.
Granted I am not married yet, and of course I encourage others to post the things that
I have missed or you think I got wrong.

Ted Nugent Cat Scratch Fever [edit changed link]

The Ten Step Program for FSUW fever. The only cure to FSUW fever is to find a great one and marry her.

1. Buy Manny's book

2. Join Lucky Lovers (LL)  . http://www.luckylovers.net/
      It's something like $20 per month.

3. Get some nice photos of yourself done.

4. Put together a profile. Have Anastasia Ash (she is a member here) or one of the others (Ladagirl, Stirlitz, or Edward) to look at
it advise you about it and translate it to Russian for you. They will charge you to do this but they are reasonable and knowledgeable.

5. Buy Rossetta stone for your PC and Pimsleur language for your CD player (look on ebay for a deal) Do Pimsleur in your car AND while at the gym on the stair master*

6. Get a nice web cam and a blue tooth head set for skype, yahoo, etc.

7. Get up early in the morning (or in the evening) and go to LL and chat with some nice ladies there.

8. Do this for two months every day, then plan a trip to see the woman who makes you
think about her when you should be working.

9. Get on a plane and write up a trip report.

10. Come back here and tell Newbies how to do this

*Notice that point 5 includes getting on the step master daily. Work out and practice your
Russian at the same time and do it every day. 

I have couple of theories about learning Russian with a joke or two mixed in.

1. Learning Russian is totally impossible!!!! Completely impossible!!! not even remotely
feasible!!! and can NOT be done!!!  but do it anyway.

2. English words are formed primarily with the tongue and Russian words are formed
primarily with the mouth. This is why bi-fluent Russian girls can kiss so well.

3. Kissing a native Russian girl will improve your Russian!! you will learn to move your
lips like her  ;D This is not a joke. You will learn more Russian meeting an RW then you
will on your stepmaster. You will be somewhat immersed in a Russian language environment
and you will pick it up faster. Passion inspires!

4. Learning Russian is a little like eating an elephant. If you try to eat an elephant in a
day or a week you will die. But if you eat an elephant sandwich every single day then
eventually you will eat the entire thing.

Learning Russian is the same study it for an hour a day every day, day after day and
it will s-l-o-w-l-y sink in.

The only problem with this comparison is that if you don't eat an elephant sandwich
every day and skip a few days you don't have to re-eat that elephant sandwich.
You will have to relearn the Russian you lost if you skip a day. I am living proof of
someone who has learned the same damn lesson again and again only to miss a few
days and have to do it again.

More Random thoughts (do I have any other?).

1. learn some Russian. It's harder than it looks and it looks hard.

2. learn from your mistakes, you will make them.

3. learn from the mistakes of others you do not  have to do them yourself to
learn from them. I think that there were a few lessons that I decided to try
because I am too  hard headed to think that all rules and guidelines could
possibly apply to me.

4. Use the head above your shoulder to think with.

5. Decide what you want. I am serious about this, make a list I did. No you
can't have my list make your own.

Udachi !!! Good luck!!!

PS ok, I lied here is part of my list.

I am not looking for a woman that I can live with, I am looking for a woman that I can't live without. What am I looking for? I want it all. I want love, passion, honesty, a real companion, a lover, a wife. I want a woman who wants to be a woman and who wants her man to be a man. (I told you I want it all :-) I am a Catholic and I am looking for a Christian woman, I don't fall on my knees and pray every five minutes but I am a believer and NOT looking for an atheist or a muslim to raise our future children.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

Wow I can't believe how popular this thread has been. 
What is the record for the most posts on a given thread?
:happy0023: :happy0023: :happy0023: :prophead: :BEER: :chuckle: :chuckle:

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline kleeb

Okay, I'll add something to this thread. My wife didn't teach me how to use my mouth while kissing. On the contrary, I taught her how to use her tongue. Lee

Online 2tallbill

Okay, I'll add something to this thread. My wife didn't teach me how to use my mouth while kissing. On the contrary, I taught her how to use her tongue. Lee

Very admirable that you took an interest in her education about such things  ;D :laugh:

Offline kleeb

Very admirable that you took an interest in her education about such things  ;D :laugh:
     It just came naturally. Lee

Offline sydneyvontrapp

sounds like " Hot Blooded " to me. ( subject line )

Offline kleeb

sounds like " Hot Blooded " to me. ( subject line )
     Hot indeed. He he he ....

Online 2tallbill

Re: RW Fever check it and see....gotta fever of 103...And other Random musings
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:01:43 PM »
Other random thoughts

1. Get an apartment and not a hotel:
An apartment is bigger, often less expensive, has a kitchen / refrigerator
Many hotels will treat any female guest as if she were a prostitute.
Many ladies will not even go into a hotel.
Your lady might wish to cook for you or "play house"
You can get up at three in the morning (because of your jet lag) in your boxers
go to the refrigerator and have a cold drink or make yourself a sandwich. Try doing
this in a hotel.

2. Bring a big fluffy towel !
Every towel in every apartment I stayed in the FSU had thread bare towels.

3. Bring a positive attitude and a sense of humor.
Sh!t will happen !!! don't have a brain aneurysm ! laugh, imagine the story
you can tell your friends or us at RUA

Note: emoticon was blatantly stolen from Olga

Offline Boris

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:09:51 AM »
Get an apartment with a washing machine if you are staying any length of time.

I had no trouble using my ATM card (Visa) in Kherson. I told my bank ahead of time that I'd be using it in Ukraine.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:28:18 AM »

I had no trouble using my ATM card (Visa) in Kherson. I told my bank ahead of time that I'd be using it in Ukraine.

Do the apartments come with a dryer too?  I saw a real estate show about buying an apartment in Paris and discovered that while washers are common features in apartments, dryers, for some European reason are not.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Boris

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 03:33:29 AM »

Do the apartments come with a dryer too?  I saw a real estate show about buying an apartment in Paris and discovered that while washers are common features in apartments, dryers, for some European reason are not.

Some of the machines are combos. A washer and dryer in one machine. Just a washer is most common. I didn't see anything that resembled a Laundromat there. I am sure that there are private laundries or people that do laundry from there homes but good luck finding them.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »
Tip of the Day  ***Water safety***

If anyone has ever had Montezuma's revenge then they can explain
what will happen if you drink FSU tap water.

Some people will argue with me, ignore my advice at your peril . If you spend
thousands of dollars to travel half way around the world to find someone to
spend the rest of your life with do you really want to risk even a small chance
of spending several days on a toilet with severe stomach cramping and pain?

How much money will you save going Native? Certainly not enough. By the way the
Natives don't drink unboiled or unbottled water either

1. Drink only bottled water
2. Brush your teeth with bottled water
3. I even rinse my dishes with bottled water
4. I wash all vegetables and fruits with bottled water.
5. I make ice with bottled water
6. I use bottled water even to boil for tea or coffee (it tastes better)

Items 3,4,5 and 6 may seem too much and they might be. But if I spend an
extra $10 dollars on water but never get sick on a trip then in my mind it's worth
it.

Udachi !! Bill

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:08:33 PM »
Tip of the Day  ***Water safety***

If anyone has ever had Montezuma's revenge then they can explain
what will happen if you drink FSU tap water.

Some people will argue with me, ignore my advice at your peril . If you spend
thousands of dollars to travel half way around the world to find someone to
spend the rest of your life with do you really want to risk even a small chance
of spending several days on a toilet with severe stomach cramping and pain?

How much money will you save going Native? Certainly not enough. By the way the
Natives don't drink unboiled or unbottled water either

1. Drink only bottled water
2. Brush your teeth with bottled water
3. I even rinse my dishes with bottled water
4. I wash all vegetables and fruits with bottled water.
5. I make ice with bottled water
6. I use bottled water even to boil for tea or coffee (it tastes better)

Items 3,4,5 and 6 may seem too much and they might be. But if I spend an
extra $10 dollars on water but never get sick on a trip then in my mind it's worth
it.

Udachi !! Bill

2tallbill, I'm from Canada and go to Los Angeles and Las Vegas several times a year and I always brush my teeth using bottled water.  I always drink bottled water, never tap water, although I drink tap water at home.  I don't bring my own toilet paper when I go to the US though.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »
Rus toilet paper has gotten better over the recent years.  The days of soft sandpaper doubling as toilet tissue are over.   :party0011:

Nice thread Bill!

The small bathtowels are a result of both economic issues, but just as importantly, the room available for hanging/storage.  Just two large fluffy towels can take up most of the space of a tiny Euro washer and isn't practical for most living situations.

WC, here is a photo of 15 or more Russian clothes dryers in just one building!

We have a 'contraption' in our home which resembles the old fashioned 'ringer' found in 1950s washing machines.  It's unattached by design, electric, and it resides out on our enclosed balcony where my wife and MIL use it to ring clothes dry before hanging them on the balcony, over the bathtub, in our hallway, etc.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »
Here's one thing missing from the thread.. RW approved, slippers and 'flat wear'...Thats right, I've been reliably informed that a 'collective committee' has been formed by my lady, her sister and mom'. They went through and did some shopping for this falls 'show off your russified AM at home' fall fashion line.

GQ ain't got nuthin on me!

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
Rus toilet paper has gotten better over the recent years.  The days of soft sandpaper doubling as toilet tissue are over.   :party0011:

Nice thread Bill!

The small bathtowels are a result of both economic issues, but just as importantly, the room available for hanging/storage.  Just two large fluffy towels can take up most of the space of a tiny Euro washer and isn't practical for most living situations.

(Attachment Link)  

We have a 'contraption' in our home which resembles the old fashioned 'ringer' found in 1950s washing machines.  It's unattached by design, electric, and it resides out on our enclosed balcony where my wife and MIL use it to ring clothes dry before hanging them on the balcony, over the bathtub, in our hallway, etc.

I remember the "ringers" from when my mother and I lived with her parents while my father was away working.  I also remember her stating that when she had her own home she would NEVER have one in the house and she never did. 

I'm told by some of the European people that I know that one of the reasons that dryers are not popular in European apartments is because the dryers require more electricity than washers and since most Europeans live in old or very, very old apartment buildings the buildings would have to be completely rewired to accommodate the electrical demands of dryers. 

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 05:38:18 PM »
Here's one thing missing from the thread.. RW approved, slippers and 'flat wear'...Thats right, I've been reliably informed that a 'collective committee' has been formed by my lady, her sister and mom'. They went through and did some shopping for this falls 'show off your russified AM at home' fall fashion line.

ECR844 does this mean that when you are in Russia that you will be able to pass for a Russian man, pointed shoes and dark clothes.  Has the 'collective committee' started with language lessons yet?

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »

ECR844 does this mean that when you are in Russia that you will be able to pass for a Russian man, pointed shoes and dark clothes.  Has the 'collective committee' started with language lessons yet?

So far I'm holding strong. My 'outside' fashion faux pas will remain my own for now with limited supervision. But if I am to remain an 'approved' man I need to allow the neck to guide me on my 'inside' fashion choices. So after a fair bit of 'convincing' I am acquiescing and going to trust them I'm told I have the whole works, flat shoes, and all ready to go. As for the language lessons. They've been helping me. Mostly I've been doing it on my own, although I've been told to expect more intensive tutoring when I'm back again.. :king: Really I'm clay in their creative hands.. ;) :) 8) Plus "mendeleyevs" language thread helped alot..

Offline blucatz

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 06:03:52 PM »
Rus toilet paper has gotten better over the recent years.  The days of soft sandpaper doubling as toilet tissue are over.   :party0011:

Nice thread Bill!

(Attachment Link)  

I remember the "ringers" from when my mother and I lived with her parents while my father was away working.  I also remember her stating that when she had her own home she would NEVER have one in the house and she never did. 

I'm told by some of the European people that I know that one of the reasons that dryers are not popular in European apartments is because the dryers require more electricity than washers and since most Europeans live in old or very, very old apartment buildings the buildings would have to be completely rewired to accommodate the electrical demands of dryers. 
What about all the new apt. buildings being built now?  Are they being wired to accept a clothes dryer?  What about being wired for cable?
Life may knock you down, but it takes a real man to get up, shove it out of the way and move on!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 02:02:34 AM »
Quote from: Blu
What about all the new apt. buildings being built now?  Are they being wired to accept a clothes dryer?  What about being wired for cable?

Yes this is it Blu

Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 03:15:35 AM »

I am guessing you mean FSU Europeans here?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 05:00:21 AM »

Manny:  I know a number of people from France, Germany and Italy and they have said that the older buildings, meaning buildings built before electricity and even the   buildings built in the first half of the 20th century simply do not have the proper electrical wiring to handle dryers which of course in Europe are 220/240 volts.  My assumption is that this is also a problem in Russia, because of the older buildings and the probable lower building standards (from the Soviet era).

I'm sure the new buildings being put up Moscow/St. Pete are capable of handling insuite dryers and are probably even wired for cable.

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »
My wifes parents have a combined washer/dryer and AC, they live in a Soviet apartment building. I cannot comment on other parts of Europe, but in the UK all wiring is up to the modern job as any older buildings will have been rewired at some stage.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »

Manny:  I know a number of people from France, Germany and Italy and they have said that the older buildings, meaning buildings built before electricity and even the   buildings built in the first half of the 20th century simply do not have the proper electrical wiring to handle dryers which of course in Europe are 220/240 volts.  My assumption is that this is also a problem in Russia, because of the older buildings and the probable lower building standards (from the Soviet era).

I'm sure the new buildings being put up Moscow/St. Pete are capable of handling insuite dryers and are probably even wired for cable.

I have rented apartments in both Russia and Ukraine, some of which you dare not plug anything in that resembles an electrical appliance for fear of being burnt to a cinder and yet others are as good as here, except they have power cuts on a regular basis  :laugh:

Слава Україні

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »
Was talking to a friend who got back from visiting relatives in Russia.  Went shopping with the family (his family and Russian relatives) in St. Pete and his youngest niece talked her parents into letting her buy a pair of designer jeans in one of the new designer brand stores.  Price tag for the designer jeans for his 16 year old niece, almost $600 Canadian. He told his brother that he has never had a $600 suit and there is no chance ever that his daughters will wear $600 jeans.  His brother doesn't earn anymore the average Canadian worker and his sister-in-law works, fashion sense must be pretty important to people in St. Pete.