The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: RW Fever check it and see....gotta fever of 103...And other Random musings  (Read 52102 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: RW Fever check it and see....gotta fever of 103...And other Random musings
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »
Was talking to a friend who got back from visiting relatives in Russia.  Went shopping with the family (his family and Russian relatives) in St. Pete and his youngest niece talked her parents into letting her buy a pair of designer jeans in one of the new designer brand stores.  Price tag for the designer jeans for his 16 year old niece, almost $600 Canadian. He told his brother that he has never had a $600 suit and there is no chance ever that his daughters will wear $600 jeans.  His brother doesn't earn anymore the average Canadian worker and his sister-in-law works, fashion sense must be pretty important to people in St. Pete. 

Some people think that a $600.00 par of jeans are better or more prestigious than a $400.00 pair or a $50.00 pair.
Because of this people will offer a pair for $600.00. I think that people who want a $600.00 pair are less secure
people and try to make up for this with such purchases.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 08:29:07 AM »
$600 ??  :ROFL:

I think I would tell that young lady that I usually only pay X for jeans and that she would have to make up the difference or do without.

It's funny how kids need certain items until they have to start footing the bill.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 12:09:34 PM »

I think I would tell that young lady that I usually only pay X for jeans and that she would have to make up the difference or do without.

It's funny how kids need certain items until they have to start footing the bill.

Yeah my son is the same. He makes $10 mowing the yard and $10 washing
the car inside and out. If he wanted something for $600 then he knows how
much labor is required to accumulate that much dough. Understanding the
value of money is one of the life lessons that  parents need to teach their children.

There wouldn't be any $600 jeans if every parent did this.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »

Yeah my son is the same. He makes $10 mowing the yard and $10 washing the car inside and
out. If he wanted something for $600 then he knows how much labor is required to accumulate
that much dough. Understanding the value of money is one of the life lessons that  parents need
to teach their children.

There wouldn't be any $600 jeans if every parent did this.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill

Another good reason for making the child pay for expensive items, is for them to earn the money to show they really do want this. That it is a need
not just a passing fancy. If they really have to have it, they will earn the money themselves.   ;D

I made my son do this, when he decided Mountain biking was his thing.
Once he got the bike, Then I paid for all the protective gear he needed.
But he did earn the money first for the bike Cost $5,000.00, In his third year for this now, so it was a real desire.   :)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
I love jeans :)
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »

Was talking to a friend who got back from visiting relatives in Russia. 

Went shopping with the family (his family and Russian relatives) in St. Pete and his youngest niece talked her parents into letting her buy a pair of designer jeans in one of the new designer brand stores. 

Price tag for the designer jeans for his 16 year old niece, almost $600 Canadian.

Erm... what was the brand, I wonder? Escada? Prada or Gucci? But aren't these brands too "old" for a 16 y.o. girl?

Here in Moscow Dsquared2 http://www.dsquared.com/ is considered now as a must-have - but I bought mine in Paris for just 149 EUR?

(Might be because it was Italian 38 \ European 32 size that nobody else needed though...)
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline WestCoast

Re: I love jeans :)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »

Was talking to a friend who got back from visiting relatives in Russia.

Went shopping with the family (his family and Russian relatives) in St. Pete and his youngest niece talked her parents into letting her buy a pair of designer jeans in one of the new designer brand stores.

Price tag for the designer jeans for his 16 year old niece, almost $600 Canadian.

Erm... what was the brand, I wonder? Escada? Prada or Gucci? But aren't these brands too "old" for a 16 y.o. girl?

Here in Moscow Dsquared2 http://www.dsquared.com/ is considered now as a must-have - but I bought mine in Paris for just 149 EUR?

(Might be because it was Italian 38 \ European 32 size that nobody else needed though...)

Unfortunately my friend didn't specify the brand just said that it was a name brand that was available here in Vancouver.  In St. Pete apparently they had their own store in some fashionable area of town and for some reason they were really expensive.  He did mention that in the same general area he bought a couple of shirts and pair of pants for himself and paid less than $100. 

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Perhaps OlgaM can help me here....there is a store not far from Red Square and in an alley just off GUM that sells nice clothing items at discounts.  The clothing there is mainly for teens and young women and with a college student in our family that is a godsend.

In general, without any scientific data as proof, I'm going to say that based on general observations, RW generally do a less than stellar job of preparing children for financial realities.  Russians tend to dote on children more than Westerners.  That same general principle is also true to instilling Russian kids with the work ethic needed to contribute at home too. 

I've written before that my MIL and my wife praised me to high heavens for what they saw in my 2 daughters as far as contributing to the household workload.  But when it came time to train daughter number 3 (my stepdaughter) it was at first a total war....especially with my MIL.  The idea seems to be that they'll grow up soon enough so it's okay to shelter them for now.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »

Perhaps OlgaM can help me here.... there is a store not far from Red Square and in an alley just off GUM that sells nice clothing items at discounts. 

The clothing there is mainly for teens and young women and with a college student in our family that is a godsend.

Can't recall anything around GUM for teens but (supposedly?) Italian Terranova...

If you focus on "young women \ discounts", there used to be Sasch \ Glenfield discount on the same street, but I'm not sure whether it's still there...
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 07:39:58 PM »
Tip of the Day

Things to bring on your trip.

I walk on average 5-10 miles per day in the FSU so I bring a couple pairs of very good walking
shoes and a pair of hiking boots. It takes up a ton of room in my suitcases but its worth it

Foot powder or baby powder makes those ten miles more comfortable.

Small Flashlight, I have never been to the FSU without the power going off at least once.

Chap Stick to keep your lips from getting dry and works for hang nails too

I-pod / CD player

Gum, for when you eat out and can't brush

Digital camera

Electric converters and adapters

Some coffee table picture books of your area

Baby wipes

I bring a Swiss army knife in my packed luggage. I have used the little scissors and the screwdriver feature on every single trip at least once.

I have an estaco electronic translator it is incredibly useful. You must be able to spell to use it however so a handheld dictionary is a good back up.

A full size American fluffy bath towel, the ones in the apartments are always small and thread bare.

Many men recommend some melatonin (how do you spell this?) to help regulate sleep patterns. Nothing works for me but it works for others.

If you are a coffee guy you might bring some. I drink tea so it's not a big deal for me.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 07:59:17 PM »
Tip of the day

While in the FSU Look out for..........

1. Watch out for cars, even on the side walk.
2. Don't step on man hole covers sometimes they will drop
3. Look where you are walking there are often sudden pot holes etc
4. Carry a flashlight because hazards might be invisible if you don't
5. In the winter don't go outside without Hat, gloves and scarf.
6. When in Rome..........When in the FSU (same rule applies)..........
7. When arriving as a guest bring don't come empty handed bring
something with you  (a cake is a good general purpose thing to bring)
8. Keep your wallet in your front pocket.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
Tip of the day

Bring brand new money (dollars or Euros)with you.
I am not sure what the guys from Oz or Countries with other currencies
do. I know that dollars and Euros are most common. Maybe someone
who knows will tell us how easy it is to exchange other currencies
in a post.

The airport usually has the worst exchange rate in the country. You might
use your ATM card and take out some cash at the airport. Then exchange it
in the city you travel to in order to get a better rate.

Regardless of Currency make sure it's brand new with no folds or writing
on it. Make sure they are as perfect as possible or they will not
take them.

Advise your bank ahead of time when and where you will be traveling
around the FSU. Otherwise your ATM / Credit Card might not work.

Many places still don't take credit cards, places that allow an American
Express card are as rare as recent French Military victories. Forget Diners
Card. It is only useful for scraping frost off a car windshield while in the FSU.

Udachi!

Bill

Offline froid

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »
Skip the dollars.  They really are starting to like euro's a lot more it seems.  More secure.

As a Canadian I can go to a bank machine and take out American dollars at some few machines here, but I am now actually going into banks to bring euro's with me to Russia from now on.  I would recommend it if you are going outside the major cities for sure.
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »
Tip of the Day

Take care of your Feet !!!

I usually walk 5 + miles per day while in the FSU. If you are good
to your feet then they will be good to you. Basketball shoes are excellent
for playing basketball in. The are made to make quick starts, stops and changes in
direction.

They are horrible for walking long distances  over pot hole filled concrete
and asphalt. They do not let your feet breath properly and they make a negative
fashion statement in the FSU. Don't bring your church shoes that give you a blister
if you attend a long service. Fashion is nice but quality and comfort are more important.

Blisters, foot rot, bloody socks, stinky feet rarely attract the cutest RW. Walk 7 miles a day
for a week in a pair of Nike Airs and you will have many if not all of the above RW repellent 
qualities.

Here is what I suggest.

1. Buy a couple of pairs of high quality fashionable dress shoes and or boots that are comfortable and durable.

2. Break your shoes in before bringing them to the FSU or the shoes will break in your feet
it's your choice. Wear them for three days not in a row to your office. Then Polish them
up nicely or have a pro do it.

3. A little bit of baby powder will keep your feet cool and dry in the summer and warm and
dry in the winter. A dry foot is a happy foot!

4. Cut your toe nails. It will cause the shoe to fit properly on your foot and cause less stress
on your toes and feet, it will keep your socks from looking like Oliver Twist's socks and besides mens feet look bad enough, properly cut toe nails is proper hygiene especially in the FSU. For best results go to a nail place and get a proper manicure and pedicure.

5. In the winter a good pair of boots will keep you warm comfortable and not feeling like you
are wearing roller skates on an escalator during snowy days. If you prevent just one slip and
fall on an icy sidewalk you will be infinitely happier.

6. Alternate your shoes. Don't wear the same pair each day. It will give your feet and your shoes
a break. Change your socks frequently, and don't buy the thinest socks. A slightly thicker sock gives your feet some additional cushion and is more absorbent.

7. I bring a small polish kit and touch up my shoes especially on rainy / snowy days. Your shoes
will last longer, repel water better, be more comfortable and look sharper.

8. Tip for shining shoes, take a little extra time, bring a little plastic bag to keep polish off
of your fingers. You don't want to look like you just overhauled your Harley.

Udachi ! (good luck!)

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 07:45:53 PM »
Tip of the day

Here are just some random FSU customs / superstitions

If you give your sweet heart flowers give them in Odd numbers. Even numbers are for funerals.

Don't give your sweet heart yellow flowers they are NOT for lovers (don't ask me why)

Birthday parties should be celebrated on or after one's birthday, not before. (don't ask me why)

Do not to shake hands or give something across a threshold. Come inside first.

Using ice in something to drink is very risky similar to floating down Niagara Falls in a barrel.
Putting ice on a sore back is will be looked at the same way as if you wanted to use leeches.   

A draft (even on a hot day) is more likely to cause back / muscle / joint pain than a lumpy bed or sofa.

Most colds, sore throats etc can be directly tied back to ingesting something cold or being near a draft. An open
window on a train on the hottest day of the year is only slightly less dangerous than French kissing Ebola
victims. 

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
Tip of the Day ! ! !

If your RW wants to send a sms / text message to your phone for free she can do this from her computer

The major US cellular carriers use the 10_digit_number@cell.carrier_domain.com format for SMS to text capable cell phones,
with a limit of 160 characters in the subject and message body (total).

use your 10 digit phone number : 555 555 5555

Carrier    Send Email to phonenumber@....
Alltel    @message.alltel.com
AT&T    @mms.att.net
Nextel    @messaging.nextel.com
Sprint    @messaging.sprintpcs.com
SunCom    @tms.suncom.com
T-mobile    @tmomail.net
VoiceStream    @voicestream.net
Verizon    @vtext.com (text only)
@vzwpix.com (pictures and videos)

Offline Boris

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
Great tip, Bill. Thanks.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
Great tip, Bill. Thanks.

You are very welcome of course,

I was kinda hoping that others would contribute a tip or two here.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 11:59:53 PM »
Tip of the day ! ! ! ! !

Your RW wants to meet you in skype and you are away from the
computer. So she calls your phone and lets it ring only one time
and hangs up. This way she doesn't have to make an expensive
international call. You already know that this means she is looking
for you.

Are there any OMB's with tip or two? Surely there are a few Wiley
veterans out there who can add a pearl of wisdom or three?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 01:46:18 PM »
Tip of the Day !! !!

RW like to be sent text messages letting them know you
are thinking of them. Here is a site that has tender Russian
phrases that you can send them. I realize that it's been pointed
out in other threads but here it is.

http://www.meighan.net/alexander/

Offline midnightlegend

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »
6. Get a nice web cam and a blue tooth head set for skype, yahoo, etc.
I went to the electronics store to take a look at the webcams they have. I've never owned one before. Then I walked to a different aisle and took a look at digital camcorders. I've never owned one of those either. Can a camcorder also be used as a webcam?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »
6. Get a nice web cam and a blue tooth head set for skype, yahoo, etc.
I went to the electronics store to take a look at the webcams they have. I've never owned one before. Then I walked to a different aisle and took a look at digital camcorders. I've never owned one of those either. Can a camcorder also be used as a webcam?

I think so, but you should verify that from someone who knows for sure and they are eight to
ten times more expensive. I think the best logitech webcam out there costs about $140. A digital
camcorder is $500 to the sky is the limit.

Offline midnightlegend

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
i saw a camcorder that was as small as a cell phone for $80, and plenty more under $150.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »
i saw a camcorder that was as small as a cell phone for $80, and plenty more under $150.

How much memory does it have?

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »
Bill, great tips! 

There is an existing "Travel Tips" and a "Checklist" in the Travel section and many are already there, however for ones not already listed I hope you don't mind us adding them.  http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.15

The Checklist has everything from travel numbers, travel tips, maps, banking info, train info, and medical clinic addresses/numbers for many cities.  http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4901.0

Edit:  okay, done.  Thanks Bill!   :)

Registration