The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Alexei Navalny has died in prison  (Read 3061 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Alexei Navalny has died in prison
« on: February 16, 2024, 10:15:36 AM »
I searched TASS, Pravda and RIA Novosti. There is no news as of today.
The latest news I can find on Russian sources is from 2021. I guess the
News hasn't been decided yet.

Alexei Navalny has died in prison, according to Russian authorities
https://apnews.com/live/alexei-navalny-death-russia-updates

Alexey Navalny dies, prison service says
https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/16/europe/alexey-navalny-dead-russia-prison-intl/index.html
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

Re: Alexei Navalny has died in prison
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 10:19:13 AM »
Bird Brain Kamel Toe Harris has commented on the death and guess what?
She is blaming someone. So far as I have seen she hasn't blamed
Trump.............yet.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline Bodine

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 01:10:34 PM »
I searched TASS, Pravda and RIA Novosti. There is no news as of today.
The latest news I can find on Russian sources is from 2021. I guess the
News hasn't been decided yet.

Alexei Navalny has died in prison, according to Russian authorities
https://apnews.com/live/alexei-navalny-death-russia-updates

Alexey Navalny dies, prison service says
https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/16/europe/alexey-navalny-dead-russia-prison-intl/index.html

I'm certain details and circumstances of his death will be unlike Jerry Epstein's fate. We are transparent here in the good ol' US off A.  :snivel:

Not only that, opposition political candidates extend utmost respects to each other. John and Robert K. may have something to say about that, and if they did, only Biden will have the means to hear it as he apparently can now talk to dead people.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 04:50:46 PM »
I'm certain details and circumstances of his death will be unlike Jerry Epstein's fate. We are transparent here in the good ol' US off A.  :snivel:

And Assange should face the death penalty.  :-X

I hate sounding like an anti western shill but our propaganda prevents the dumb asses from realising the hypocrisy. I blame the thicko's for enabling this mess we find ourselves in.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 05:33:19 PM »
And we need to ask the big questions.....Navalny gets murdered by Putin, before an election, the big vote on Ukrainian weapons funding and after the Tucker interview.

Putin is many things but he's not stupid.....who benefits from this kind of news?  :whistle:

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 10:38:56 PM »
And we need to ask the big questions.....Navalny gets murdered by Putin, before an election, the big vote on Ukrainian weapons funding and after the Tucker interview.

Putin is many things but he's not stupid.....who benefits from this kind of news?  :whistle:

A more salient question would be, "Why to Putin's political enemies keep dying under suspicious circumstances, sometimes while in the custody of the Russian state?"

Sergei Yushenkov, Anna Politkovskaya, Serge Magnitzky,  Boris Berezovsky, Boris Nemtsov, Alexander Litvinenko...being one of Putin's critics seems to come with a much reduced life expectancy....

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 05:19:43 AM »
A more salient question would be, "Why to Putin's political enemies keep dying under suspicious circumstances, sometimes while in the custody of the Russian state?"

That's true but there is no evidence linking Putin himself to those murders and the timing of yesterdays events simply don't make sense.

The media are in over drive calling Putin a murderer yet it was only last month, Gonzalo Lira a US citizen nonetheless, who was outspoken about the Ukrainian regime and US policy, was murdered whilst in Ukrainian custody.

Barely a peep.......

I'm not here defending Russia but as usual, I like to point out the hypocrisy of the whole thing. Navalny may have died from the harsh conditions in a Russian jail but the legacy media are running with it big time, using it a fuel for Ukrainian war aid and more anti Putin media abuse.

It's all too obvious and they show a few dozen people crying over the whole of Russia and claim the nation is mourning a national hero etc.  :chuckle:

Meanwhile Assange wouldn't last a fortnight if we handed him over to you lot and he only spoke the truth.

Offline Bodine

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 07:09:17 AM »
101 ways to die, or in this case, to kill. Not too many folks remember nor care the anthrax-ladened letters sent to 2 Senate leaderships ( Daschle & Leahy) leading opposing Senators against “big brother” initiative on the heels of 911. Investigation followed and found it actually came and was sent from the US government biolab.

A certain Bruce Ivens, a US scientist employee, took the rap. Eventually committed suicide ala Epsteineque via aspirin overdose.  :chuckle:

One of the theory was he sent the letters to serve notice that biological research needs to continue and funding should ensue.

What not many folks do not know, maybe not care and they should, Congress closed during that period - and so neatly the Patriot Act passed.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 03:39:03 PM »
That's true but there is no evidence linking Putin himself to those murders and the timing of yesterdays events simply don't make sense.

Nobody thinks that Putin personally choked him out. Nobody thinks there is evidence anymore than there is evidence of Putin is firing tank shells at Ukrainian troops. Does
anyone think that Putin's incarcerated enemies can die without his permission?

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 04:22:16 PM »

Nobody thinks that Putin personally choked him out. Nobody thinks there is evidence anymore than there is evidence of Putin is firing tank shells at Ukrainian troops. Does
anyone think that Putin's incarcerated enemies can die without his permission?

I guess my comment was based on all the media headlines and journalists claiming quite blatantly, that Putin killed Navalny, not Russian and not the Kremlin. This happens a lot and it's not unintentional.

And yes, I do believe that some bad stuff happens in or associated with Russia, where Putin didn't personally orchestrate it. Layers and tiers of bureaucracy and lots of nasty individuals who would sign off on bad stuff.

Does anyone really think that Putin micromanages every single thing that happens in Russia?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 02:31:50 AM »
Does anyone think that Putin's incarcerated enemies can die without his permission?
yes I do. I think Putin didn't care for Navalny and didn't constantly sit in the Kremlin fretting over what/how/why Navalny is doing now.

Within Russia Navalny is a non-issue. He broke the law and went to jail, that was the end of it for Putin. that jails in Russia are bad is no shocker. Its the west that keeps bringing him to attention where he deserved none.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 04:10:47 AM »
It is worth remembering that Navalny was not charged or imprisoned for anything related to his political activities. It was a case related to a beauty company that he defrauded. There was little reason to suspect the case was invalid or that the verdict was unfair. His activities since the Yves Rocher case support the idea that the guy was one who used fraud as a part of his regular toolbox.

Navalny was not a political prisoner. In the Russian context, the guy was barely relevant as a politician, unable to garner adequate support to gain any power or elected position.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 08:45:54 AM »
What actual percent of the vote, was Navalny expected to garner, if he had run in an election? Or did he run in an election?

TBH I don't really care. I think of him like I think of a candidate in the Libertarian party in the USA. It's interesting to read their opinions sometimes, but do they ever have a real chance of winning?

The USA should reform the dysfunctional two party system which does not represent the American people nor a true democracy, before they usual whining.  :coffeeread:

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 09:23:44 AM »
The guy was barely relevant as a politician, unable to garner adequate support to gain any power or elected position.

We agree about that

It is worth remembering that Navalny was not charged or imprisoned for anything related to his political activities.

Neither was any of Xi Jinping's rivals or rivals of Stalin or Mao. That is not how dictators  work. They only charge people with honest, legitimate crimes, nothing is done to solidify their hold on power, especially if it's not necessary.

Stalin did not have a purge just prior to operation Barbarosa, as he had no real rivals.
That's why it never happened. Dictators are reasonable and sweet that way and allow
their citizens to critisize them.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 01:23:19 PM »
Could Putin, Russian officials, the Kremlin or the prison staff, have arranged the murder of Navalny? Yes absolutely. Do we have proof? No none. Is there motive? Yes. Is it likely given the timing of the elections and the vote on further Ukrainian aid to the tune of tens of billions? No, that would be crazy.

I just hate the hypocrisy and the predictable guilty without trial mentality of the Western media and our politicians, who are gunning for Putin and need stuff like this to stoke the fires. It's all fairly convenient and the timing of it couldn't be better for the pro war folks.

I have heard that Navalny may have caught pneumonia and the prison service neglected him? It's possible. Even if that was the case, the west don't care, they won't believe anything contradicting the narrative and Putins an evil murderer....end of.

Like I said, Navalny could have been killed at any time, he was never in a position to offer credible opposition to Putin and this made up situation of him being a shining light for democracy in Russia and a hero in mourning is BS.

Navalnys team were caught talking to MI6 asking for 20-30 million annually to kick start a grass roots, organic orange revolution. I bet the CIA weren't too far away either. Can you imagine the KGB offering that cash to Trump and the reaction that would follow?

Why kill him now......and don't just say but but but other people have died in Russia?

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 11:07:17 PM »

Sergei Yushenkov, Anna Politkovskaya, Serge Magnitzky,  Boris Berezovsky, Boris Nemtsov, Alexander Litvinenko...being one of Putin's critics seems to come with a much reduced life expectancy....

B/B

Sounds to me like Putin has a ways to go, compared to the Clintons. From Vince Foster to Seth Rich, the list is extensive. :laugh:

https://humansbefree.com/2019/08/list-of-71-clinton-associates-who-died-mysteriously-or-committed-suicide-before-testimony.html

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2024, 11:58:03 PM »
Please note: I do not condone the killing of political opponents, nor for that matter do I believe it is appropriate to have politically motivated trials against a former President of the USA.

"In response to reports that Putin critic Alexei Navalny has died in a Russian prison, your rulers in Washington want you to be angry. Your corrupt government, which is at this very moment working to put your Christian neighbors in prison for protesting abortion, wants you to be very angry at a foreign leader nearly 6,000 miles away so you won’t pay attention to what your leaders are doing to you in your own backyard.

Your government, which wants to disarm you and prevent you from defending yourself, wants you angry at a leader who has no power over you whatsoever. The government that censors you and lies to you about viruses it helped create wants your focus elsewhere. The government that sold your economy off to China and then destroyed the value of your currency wants you mad at someone else.

The government that banned you from going to church and then tried to fire you for not taking its worthless “vaccine” wants to whip you into a frenzy over literally anything else other than what it’s doing to you right now."

https://thefederalist.com/2024/02/16/your-government-needs-you-angry-at-foreign-tyrants-so-you-wont-notice-the-ones-ruling-you/

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2024, 03:15:44 AM »
It is worth remembering that Navalny was not charged or imprisoned for anything related to his political activities. It was a case related to a beauty company that he defrauded. There was little reason to suspect the case was invalid or that the verdict was unfair. His activities since the Yves Rocher case support the idea that the guy was one who used fraud as a part of his regular toolbox.

Navalny was not a political prisoner. In the Russian context, the guy was barely relevant as a politician, unable to garner adequate support to gain any power or elected position.

I would disagree with the bolded portion at a minimum.  Putin's enemies are often harassed by frivolous lawsuits, and in this case Navalny was accused of defrauding the Russian subsidiary of Yves Rocher; the Western parent would (correctly) say that it never took legal action against Navalny nor lodged any complaints against him.

Before you say, "Oh, but the Russian subsidiary..." it should be remembered that a lot of non-standard things go on in Russia.  Ex. Bill Browder, founder of Hermitage Capital Management and the Hermitage Fund, was run out of Russia because he became a shareholder activist once his fund was targeted by the Russian companies he had shares in what was plainly a screwjob - HF was to be diluted, but not the Russian owners, etc. 

Hermitage's lawyer, Serge Magnitsky, uncovered a MASSIVE fraud in which Hermitage's holding companies were fraudulently and falsely re-registered to Russian nationals and tax funds in excess of $230M were applied for and approved by Russian tax authorities who were on the take all the way to the top. 

Browder was tried in absentia for a crime he had no part in - he only became aware of the case against Hermitage after the fact and did not know, and had not hired, the lawyers who represented Hermitage in court.

Magnitsky was tried as well but by 2013, when the prosecution was brought, Magnitsky had been dead for four years.  He had been tortured and beaten and denied medical care in an effort to coerce him into giving evidence against Hermitage and Browder, which he stalwartly refused to do, as the cost of his life.

So any conclusion that Navalny, as a political opponent of Putin, is magically "guilty" of fraud, etc., because a Russian court says so is meaningless.

Indeed, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Navalny's conviction was "unreasonable and arbitrary" - translation "Totally Bullshit".

B/B
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 03:16:53 AM »

B/B

Sounds to me like Putin has a ways to go, compared to the Clintons. From Vince Foster to Seth Rich, the list is extensive. :laugh:

https://humansbefree.com/2019/08/list-of-71-clinton-associates-who-died-mysteriously-or-committed-suicide-before-testimony.html

As you are no doubt aware, I am no fan of the Clintons, but this is simply not relevant to Putin's behavior for good for for ill.

B/B

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 05:42:34 AM »
For someone less popular than a Liberal Democrat, he was yesterday's man. At 2-6% support once upon a time against circa 80% for Putin, he was never this huge opposition figure the Western media liked to pretend.

A CIA asset let's not forget. Likely bumped off from afar by his employer, Uncle Sam, his demise was timely in that it moves the inconvenient Tucker Carlson interview further down the page. There was no motive for Russia to bump him off, he was already a forgotten figure rotting in jail.

Every single Western politician and talking head immediately blamed Russia and decided he was murdered. All in unison. Even using the same language. Cause of death or circumstances not necessary. How convenient.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Bodine

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 02:30:19 PM »
OY Boje moi! Russia, Russia, Russia!!! Putin bad!!!

Ironically and not too long ago, Hillary and Nuland's boss mocked someone during a presidential debate, two years prior to the US-supported regime change in Ukraine, in declaring Russia as our #1 (geopolitical foe) threat to being obtuse. That was "oh-so 80s" he said.

By 2016, Russia, Russia, Russia is stealing our democracy from under us. There was this 'liberal' declaration Russian succeeded in undermining our election making 'it' (Russia/Putin) enemy numero uno!!!  :laugh:

Heck, Romney was even asked where he would get the money to increase his plan for military spending. Today we have as much munition stocks than *horses and bayonets*. Remember that silly phrase? How many horses and bayonets should we send Ukraine?

Today, it's Navalny's *untimely* death! *Who the phuck cares who and how Putin kills anyone in Russia?* Damn we have hundreds of thousands of people dying of opiod/fentanyl in our country today and what exactly is our government doing about that? Shouldn't this be a much bigger topic of conversation in our legacy media?

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 03:44:32 PM »
A CIA asset let's not forget. Likely bumped off from afar by his employer, Uncle Sam...

Yeah, I'm going to need to see some proof of both of those.  The first one is a "maybe" and the second one?  If CIA could pull off assassinations at will inside of Russia without the Russians knowing...then why not Putin?  How is he still alive?

Every single Western politician and talking head immediately blamed Russia and decided he was murdered. All in unison. Even using the same language. Cause of death or circumstances not necessary. How convenient.

LOL.  Putin's enemies have a bad habit of dying in prison under suspicious circumstances.  It happens with such regularity that it's not only possible it's probable.

B/B

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2024, 04:51:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to need to see some proof of both of those.

Let me dig it out. There's a recording doing the rounds where MI6 are discussing payments to Navalny's associates, to the tun of 20-30 million a year, for the creation of grass roots orange revolutions in Russia.

Poster boy was a nobody, anti Russia, western puppet. He'd last as long as Lira in a Ukrainian prison cell and the West were delighted to see him die.

If CIA could pull off assassinations at will inside of Russia without the Russians knowing...then why not Putin?

Eh because Putin couldn't care less about an insignificant criminal who had little support or threat to his re-election. If Putin wanted Navalny dead, he would have been pushing up daisies at a much more convenient time. long ago.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2024, 05:42:43 PM »
For someone less popular than a Liberal Democrat, he was yesterday's man. At 2-6% support once upon a time against circa 80% for Putin, he was never this huge opposition figure the Western media liked to pretend.

I totally agree

I agree, the leftist media/politicians are always in lockstep.

A CIA asset let's not forget. Likely bumped off from afar by his employer, Uncle Sam, his demise was timely in that it moves the inconvenient Tucker Carlson interview further down the page.

This theory is difficult to wrap my head around. Why would the CIA knock
him off? A Russian citizen, rotting in prison? There is nothing he could know
that the Russian FSB doesn't know inside out and backwards.
The CIA could bribe a Russian guard, but why? The CIA would
never try to insert a SEAL team into a Russian prison near the
Arctic Circle, They (CIA) aren't omnipotent, they are more likely
to f#k it up. A SEAL team wouldn't even do it without an
order signed by the President, even so, it would be an act of war.
It would have to be signed off by a small group in Congress,
it would leak.

The FSB wouldn't be fooled and the Russians ALWAYS, ALWAYS,ALWAYS
tit for tat.

The downside far exceeds any upside. The upside is what? One news cycle?
In two weeks the whole thing will be forgotten. This has far too many moving
parts. The CIA is not that good.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2024, 11:52:02 PM »
Let me dig it out.

Please do.

If CIA could pull off assassinations at will inside of Russia without the Russians knowing...then why not Putin?

Eh because Putin couldn't care less about an insignificant criminal who had little support or threat to his re-election. If Putin wanted Navalny dead, he would have been pushing up daisies at a much more convenient time. long ago.

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this.  This is some sort of spooky "Well it can't be my boyfriend Vladimir, because he would never do that, so it MUST be America."  Sorry but that's too convenient and complicated.  Rube Goldberg would be proud.

Srsly.  This makes is sound like you're in a cult.

B/B