The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: De-Dollarisation.  (Read 108219 times)

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Re: De-Dollarisation.
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2015, 06:57:13 AM »
bb, usually readers try to give credence to the words people use. Do you wish that we who read your words should NOT give them credence? If not, why write stuff that you know to be incorrect?

Of all the folks reading the thread, fifi, I thought I could have expected you to be more clever.

Do try and keep up.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
In regards to your silly comment that the US dollar has nothing backing it I suggest you go back to College and learn what it means to have the largest economy in the World

Yes, lets ask China.  :chuckle:

as well as the most powerful military in the World.

Is that why Putin has to go in and sort out the camel jockeys for you?

China makes and sells plastic crap -- they need Europe and the USA far more than we need them.  If you think they have the World's largest economy, is that why they make Apple products for us here in the USA?  Is that why they are making US aircraft engines and not their own?  Is that why they wish to build Boeings in China?  I wonder why they are not capable of inventing and making world class products on their own?

As for the ME you better hope and pray that Putin has a quick exit strategy, as when the next US President will be a Republican with some balls Putin is going to find out the hard way that he not only overextended himself but that his military is no match for ours -- provided we have a CIC who will let our men finish the job; and we will.  Keep dreaming your delusions though.  Why not?  An incompetent traitor CIC like Obama only happens every 200 years.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Ant, the US dollar is not backed by gold. Do you honestly not know this stuff?

Is the fact that the US repudiated it's role in respect of Gold back in the Nixon administration news to you?
Does it really take over 40 years for  ease of 'current' affairs to reach you?

Here's some more stuff that you may have missed:
The US lost the Vietnam war.  The Soviet Union is no more. We have not been back to the moon for decades and,  while you were asleep, China has become the world's manufactury and the world's largest economy.

Much has changed while you were sleeping!

Fractional reserve system.  Try to keep up old boy! 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »
China makes and sells plastic crap

I know. I buy tons of it. I am back there in a week or so - great country, great people!  :thumbsup:

If you think they have the World's largest economy, is that why............... :GRRRR:

Stick a fork in you lot - you are done.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-official-america-is-now-no-2-2014-12-04

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »
The USA only accounts for about 10% of world trade in gold.  India is the largest gold market with about 22% of world trade. The middle east accounts for approx 15% + in total and China rivaling both.  (Source is UN world trade statistics)

Gold has not been "priced" in USD since the 1970s and the demise of Bretton Woods Agreement. The Indian, Chinese and middle eastern markets are priced in local currency and this sometimes results in a disparity of +/- 8%++ in USD terms.  It should be noted that this situation is for physical gold not Fiat (paper) gold like the Exchange traded Fund - GLD which regularly trades at a 5%+ discount to the price of physical gold.

The reason for this is simple.  Many countries impose volume restrictions / tariffs on the import and export of gold.  So the New York or London price fix is not directly relevant to those markets because it relates to the price of gold in those domestic markets.  This is especially true in China where an import tariff of 10% and a volume restriction have inflated domestic gold prices.

Gold is something one holds in reserve for emergencies, it is not a sole investment.  Those who think it is should read what Buffet says about it.   :coffeeread:

Offline Anteros

« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
China makes and sells plastic crap

I know. I buy tons of it. I am back there in a week - great country!  :thumbsup:

If you think they have the World's largest economy, is that why............... :GRRRR:

Keep dreaming pal.  The US Dollar will remain the reserve currency of the World for the next 40 years minimum.  Take off your tin foil hat and stop reading conspiracy theory web sites. 

The USA makes stuff that the rest of the World covets.  Why do you think China has to steal all of our technology to even have something?

Can you please tell me which Russian cars are sold overseas?  Which Russian computers are sold overseas?

It's Putin and Russia which you can stick a fork in.  5 years or less. 

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »

Not so fast: China: We're #2!

At any rate, China will, eventually pass the US as the worlds largest economy as it has been for 18 of the past 21 Centuries, plus or minus, although that's ultimately meaningless in a "My dad can beat up your dad!" kind of way....and for as long as it lasts (China is going to have some Rough Sledding coming up w/r/t its real estate markets, healthcare and overall aging population).  Of course, it gives Western liberals the opportunity to hemorrhage American prestige, which they are so desperate to do. *shrugs*

B/B
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »

Mark, You are correct, but try to pay for your groceries at Albert with a chunk of gold. Av
Try to buy them with Dollars. Equally moot point.

If you buy groceries via Albert at a Stop & Shop you generally use Dollars.

In Netherlands?

AH Holdings own Stop and Shop 100%. In the regions they operate in they are strong.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2015, 02:17:47 AM »
Ant, which US computers are sold overseas?
Which US computers are sold in the US?

When you understand so little of your own environment and, every day, demonstrate that deficit, how can you be so sure of your fantasies?

Is your cock-sureness the certainty of the idiot?

I do not know whether I envy your certainty about the unknowable or am glad to not be so blind - on the whole probably the latter.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."
—Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2015, 02:26:48 AM »
In Netherlands?

AH Holdings own Stop and Shop 100%. In the regions they operate in they are strong.

So that'd be a NO then.

AH Stop & Shop for the record, is an American holding, owned by AHOLD in Netherlands (which also owns the Albert Heijn, Etos and Gall&gall brands). They have 360 shops mainly in the United States of America, east-coast area.

So its no surprise you can spend dollars in shops in America.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2015, 03:37:19 AM »
. They have 360 shops mainly in the United States of America, east-coast area.

Mark.

I was kinda wondering where the old fellow was coming from. Another visit from Commodore Obvious perhaps?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
. They have 360 shops mainly in the United States of America, east-coast area.

Mark.

I was kinda wondering where the old fellow was coming from. Another visit from Commodore Obvious perhaps?

Captain Dumbo, what are you blathering about?

In Netherlands?

So that'd be a NO then.

AH Stop & Shop for the record, is an American holding, owned by AHOLD in Netherlands (which also owns the Albert Heijn, Etos and Gall&gall brands). They have 360 shops mainly in the United States of America, east-coast area.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, you just confirmed that you can use US$ for a purchase from a Albert Heijn branded store.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2015, 05:12:24 AM »
Thanks Mark, you just confirmed that you can use US$ for a purchase from a Albert Heijn branded store.
Feeling like don quichote ?

OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2015, 05:29:40 AM »
AvHdB, Put. Down. The. Glass. you have a family now. ;)

I was referring to your rather obvious, dare we say facile, or silly, point that yes, one can spend dollars in a US store.

You may be getting as bored as moby but you don't really need to find kinship with him in this stuff do you?

Offline Anteros

« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »

When you understand so little of your own environment and, every day, demonstrate that deficit, how can you be so sure of your fantasies?

I do not know whether I envy your certainty about the unknowable or am glad to not be so blind - on the whole probably the latter.

Gee Andrew, there is Apple, Dell Hewlett-Packard and IBM to name a few.  Of course the most important technology of a computer are the chips inside which run them, such as AMD and Intel. 

Then there is the latest top super-computer in the World, the Titan.

http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-fastest-supercomputer-crowned-us-192428438.html

:coffeeread:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
AvHdB, Put. Down. The. Glass. you have a family now.

Andrew, Obviously you need to get a refund for your education, or perhaps you were too busy being the bully.

Time to master punctuation.

In fact I have assumed a second job, so I am rather busy, but we all need amusement, thank you.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
So who does anyone think will win the AFC East this year?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #217 on: October 01, 2015, 06:38:12 PM »

Manny will say a team from Russia

Moby will proclaim it is rigged

Andrew will pontificate on an unrelated point

MD will be offended

Westy will wonder why only the East Coast

TT will give a single liner

Wiz will make some angry old man post

Leslie will clean it all up

Offline Anteros

« Reply #218 on: October 01, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »

Duh!  Tom Brady and the New England Patriots!  Are you bored or something?   :laugh:

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."
—Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Andrew I've recommended you don't speak on topics involving business and here you go again demonstrating how little you know. Apple considered at the moment the largest tech company in the is sold globally. Apple is headquartered in the US. Apple is also considered the most valuable company in the world.

Then of course (in no particular order) there's Amazon (my wife & I use it all the time), IBM, Microsoft, Google, Cisco etc. Really the list is long take a look for yourself. Andrew if you do want to rebuttal, please do, but at least do everyone a favour and include links. It will let us know you put a little thought into your post.

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:56 AM »
Apple considered at the moment the largest tech company in the is sold globally. Apple is headquartered in the US. Apple is also considered the most valuable company in the world.[/url]

Then of course (in no particular order) there's Amazon (my wife & I use it all the time), IBM, Microsoft, Google, Cisco etc. Really the list is long take a look for yourself. Andrew if you do want to rebuttal, please do, but at least do everyone a favour and include links. It will let us know you put a little thought into your post.
You might want to lookup the tax-records of all companies mentioned, you'd be surprised how many are american actually... I think 0 of them.

So, based upon their tax status,

Apple is irish.
IBM is Dutch.
Cisco is Swiss.
Microsoft has 2 passports, Irish and Singapore.
And finally Google:
Google is Irish
Oracle is also Irish.

The list goes on, but none of these companies claim to be American themselves. (To avoid taxes).
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2015, 02:34:23 AM »
In addition, Apple, for example, makes almost nothing in the US - they used to do back when I was selling their kit, but no longer. They made big claims a couple of years ago about starting up manufacture in the US - turned out it was assembly of Chinese kits. I don't know what the outcome of that was but it was hardly the Great Leap Forward in U.S manufacturing that was claimed at the time.

IBM, last year sold their x86 server business to Lenovo, a Chinese business that you may have heard of. Odd thing about that though, IBM did not manufacture these systems in the U.S. Lenovo will be doing at least some manufacture of these servers in the U.S.

You are making the naive error that many folks make of assuming that just because it says a name written in English on the pack that it is made in the U.S. There's a big difference between exporting manufacture and retaining manufacture in the 'home' market.

Youd've thought an International Banker and businessman would know about this stuff, yes?

Here's a part of the problem though - keeping Americans in an uneducated state enables all sorts of terrible things to be foisted off on them. I bet that most North Americans here still think that all their favourite 'American' cars are made in the US.  ???

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2015, 12:18:47 PM »
In addition, Apple, for example, makes almost nothing in the US - they used to do back when I was selling their kit, but no longer. They made big claims a couple of years ago about starting up manufacture in the US - turned out it was assembly of Chinese kits. I don't know what the outcome of that was but it was hardly the Great Leap Forward in U.S manufacturing that was claimed at the time.

IBM, last year sold their x86 server business to Lenovo, a Chinese business that you may have heard of. Odd thing about that though, IBM did not manufacture these systems in the U.S. Lenovo will be doing at least some manufacture of these servers in the U.S.

You are making the naive error that many folks make of assuming that just because it says a name written in English on the pack that it is made in the U.S. There's a big difference between exporting manufacture and retaining manufacture in the 'home' market.

Youd've thought an International Banker and businessman would know about this stuff, yes?

Here's a part of the problem though - keeping Americans in an uneducated state enables all sorts of terrible things to be foisted off on them. I bet that most North Americans here still think that all their favourite 'American' cars are made in the US.  ???

Andrew you're thinking like someone with a limited understanding of business. Who do you think is paid more the person who puts together an iPad or who someone who designs one? Apple owns massive amounts of property in the US and to a lesser extent in Europe and Asia. Andrew what do you think Apple is doing with that space? Google is the same.

You'll find this is common with tech companies. The grunt work, assembling the devices in done in low wage countries. The design work for the most part is done in the US and taxes are being paid in various EU countries because of tax haven laws that make it possible to funnel profits there from sales elsewhere.

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »
You'll find this is common with tech companies. The grunt work, assembling the devices in done in low wage countries. The design work for the most part is done in the US and taxes are being paid in various EU countries because of tax haven laws that make it possible to funnel profits there from sales elsewhere.
So? The companies themselves claim they aren't American, why shouldn't we believe them.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Westcoast, you DO know that an imported, contract built iThing does not increase U.S GDP don't you? The US ha the bright idea a while back of including imported manufactures as GDP. Silly idea if for no other reason than it'd mean double counting for GDP purposes; once, correctly, in the locale of manufacture and once again, fraudulently, in the U.S.

Look, you don't understand what you are going on about, that's normal for you, we get it. But please don't then waste our time in a feeble imitation of moby (he is MUCH better at this than you!) by then shuffling and sliding around with stuff you simply don't 'get'!

Registration