The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Questions before adventure begins  (Read 6206 times)

Offline sydneyvontrapp

Re: Questions before adventure begins
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 10:13:51 PM »
Hello Jordan :
    I'm not sure if the airport in Odessa has the same system Kiev does.  A GREEN line for less than $1000 cash and less than $175 in gifts.  you walk right through.  The RED line is if you have more than the above listed amounts.  They go through your bags.  This could tie you up for 20-30 minutes because you need to wait your turn for them to look through your stuff.  After spending that long on planes I'm sure you don't want to delay your first meeting.  Then again I guess  if they wanted to they could stop you in the green line if you acted suspicious.

Dave M.

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 10:23:01 PM »
Do you guys think they would let me take a multitool in the check on luggage even if its still in its original hard plastic wrap?

I assume this multitool has a knife? I doubt you will get it through security at any airport. Put it in checked luggage or leave it at home.

Another suggestion: Have a pen with you to fill out the immigration form you will be given on the plane. On my last trip to Kiev I noticed a lot of people sent away to fill out the form. Save yourself some time and have it filled out completely before you arrive. There's not much to it: name, passport info and the address of where you will be staying. It ends up being cut in half, you keep your half to present when leaving the country.

Have a great trip!

BCKev

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »
Evilferret

Where are you clearing customs? Kiev or Odessa?

If you fly to Kiev then you are clearing there immigration and customs and you don't have to do it in Odessa.  Many good suggestions above and have your immigration card ready to save time.......and do not look the beautifully legs of the immigration ladies....LOL

I have been to Ukraine around 12 times and never had any problem at all. I do not carry Large sum of cash with me and I split the money I have in my two pockets. I always use my debit card to get money out from ATM machine (Ukraine is full of them) and keep my Passport in an inside pocket in my jacket or shirt......

As Manchester said..... just use common sense and do not flash your cash around and don't be loud....like all Americans.

Have a good trip

Wiz

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline pup zemly

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:27 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am getting ready for my first trip to the FSU to meet my lady and I have a few questions I would like some help with.

Ok my first question is if you have to have any travel tips for a first time travel to the FSU I am heading to Kherson in Ukraine.

My next question is where should I keep my documents (like my passport and plane tickets) on me or in the apartment?

sometimes it seems to me this is the site for kids.
the best place for your money is your underwear. make a pocket on it and put all your money, at least it'll attract some women, who wont know what it is  :gousa:

Offline mirror

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 06:56:40 AM »
the best place for your money is your underwear. make a pocket on it and put all your money, at least it'll attract some women, who wont know what it is  :gousa:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: the best solution .

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »
Wiz,
I am flying Into Odessa from Warsaw.
I do not plan on carrying large sums of cash around and I am going to be taking my debits card so I will be able to use ATM's like you suggested :) Thanks for the tip about splitting the money into two pockets I will def do that.

Evilferret

Offline ForgeMaster

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »
I am going to be taking my debits card so I will be able to use ATM's like you suggested :) Thanks for the tip about splitting the money into two pockets I will def do that.

EF,
  Beware of a couple of things:  debit cards and pickpockets

I took 2 debit cards on my first trip.  One was to give my then fiance to make money transfer cheaper.  It was brand new; never been used.  It worked fine but I had only $50 in that account.  The other was my older one, which looked good to me.  However, it had a scratch on it where it reads it and it did not work at all.  It was most embarrassing.  I had all my travel money in that account.  However, I had pre-paid for a week in the mountains and numerous excursions, so the trip was saved.  Take new debit cards and also make sure the bank records that your card can be used in that country.  Otherwise, your good bank will be trying to protect you by cutting off your funds.

Second, never keep your money all in one place.  Split it between pockets, socks, belts, passport bag around the neck, or people.  I split my money between us.  This showed that I trusted her and also showed me that she could be trusted.  I have found in the years since then that she can get twice the miles out of a dollar that I can.
ForgeMaster
FirstMember

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2007, 11:01:58 PM »
Forgemaster,

Thanks for the tip. I got myself a money belt and thats where i am going to be keeping the passport and debit card. As for sharing the money with my lady i think thats a great idea and I will be sure and do that I think you are correct when you say that shows trust between the two of us.

Evilferret

Offline ForgeMaster

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
Forgemaster,
As for sharing the money with my lady i think thats a great idea and I will be sure and do that I think you are correct when you say that shows trust between the two of us.

Evilferret

Maybe you didn't get the subtle undertones of my suggestion.  After going half way around the world and spending a damned fortune, and sitting there with a cross-cultural situation, it is good to find a solid way that is not too expensive to sort of test the waters.  You want to see who you  are thinking about marrying?  Give her some money and see what she does with it.  It was almost a mistake on my part, but I thought quickly and that is what I came up with.  She treated every dollar like gold and showed me everything before she bought anything.  She is a treasure to this day and we handle all of our money together.  Nothing is hidden.  Everything is joint.  I love it!!  Long ago, when we had just met, it also gave us a lot to talk about.  We went on a 5 day trip to a far away place and we both knew that we could be robbed.  It helped me to understand rubles and helped her to understand the manner of fellow I am.
ForgeMaster
FirstMember

Offline kleeb

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 09:39:51 PM »
     When I first went to Russia to meet my future wife I would change my dollars into rubles and give them to her. If I wanted something I would just point to it and say "ya hochu". She was so protective of my money that I had trouble buying souvenirs. She wouldn't let me buy anything for her. But if I bought something for her without her knowing then she was very happy to get it. This told me a lot about her.
     Forgemaster, you are right. After going to far at such expense giving her control of some of your money is a small way of finding out so much about her.   Lee

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »
Well Here I am the count down to my adventure begins I will be leaving for Ukraine in 6 hours and my adventure will last one week.

thanks again guys for the great travel tips and informations you all have been a very wonderful source of help and information.

Wish me luck.

Evilferret

Offline sydneyvontrapp

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2007, 01:05:30 AM »
Hello Jordan :
    My wishes for a safe and speedy journey.  What did you decide about the tools?  Are you packing them or leaving them?   Observe the differences between the Ukraine and the U.S.  Don't drink the tap water.  Don't ask for ice cubes.  You mostly won't find them available.  If you do they will have been made with tap water.  Lack of A/C in the taxis and hotel rooms.  Save your bags from the grocery store.  They charge you for them.  They'll scan your order and leave your groceries at the bottom of the belt until you ask to buy a bag.  Just a few little things I noticed. I wish you ALL the success I enjoyed when I met Tanya. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave M.

Offline Johnichka

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2007, 06:10:15 AM »
You can carry up to USD$3,000 through the Green Line at Customs in Ukraine, not the $1,000 that was previously posted.

You can carry up to USD$10,000 into Ukraine but must declare it and go through the red line.

Johnichka

Offline Shadow

• Ochag - Family fireplace
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2007, 07:21:35 AM »
For those of you who ever had a problem with scratched debit cards:
1. cleaning it by rubbing it against your clothes will work in many cases.
2. To prevent it from scratching, protect it with a strip of cello-tape. This will not hurt the working of the card, unless it comes loose inside the machine.
2 know more than 1 but 100 know less

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 09:11:18 AM »
Hey All,

Just got back home an hour ago and already I miss my lady and Ukraine.
 I had a blast and cannot wait to go back again in spring.
I noticed the bag (bucket) problem at the grocery stores and everywhere else i bought something. The first day i got into Kehrson I went tot he grocery store and bought some apples and went to put them on the scale as i was used to doing at stores in the us (old habits day hard) and i pushed the zero button to zero the scale and i got a mouth full of Russian yelled at me by the grocery woman  :sick0002: i don't think i have ever said огорченно that much in my life lol.
Anyhow I'm going to drop off to get some Zzzzz's since i didn't sleep well on the polish planes Will be writing my trip report soon so check for it in the trip report section.
later all.

Evilferret

Offline DonA

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2007, 11:02:22 PM »
Tick Tock.
Hey Ferret where are you? We are waiting to hear about your trip. How did it go Dude?

Let's have it  ;D

DonAz

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Questions before adventure begins
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2024, 01:24:48 PM »
     When I first went to Russia to meet my future wife I would change my dollars into rubles and give them to her. If I wanted something I would just point to it and say "ya hochu". She was so protective of my money that I had trouble buying souvenirs. She wouldn't let me buy anything for her. But if I bought something for her without her knowing then she was very happy to get it. This told me a lot about her.
     Forgemaster, you are right. After going to far at such expense giving her control of some of your money is a small way of finding out so much about her.   Lee

I sent Angel Eyes money after I returned from my first trip.

She scrutinized every kopeck spent.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls