The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Questions before adventure begins  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Evilferret

Questions before adventure begins
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:48:56 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am getting ready for my first trip to the FSU to meet my lady and I have a few questions I would like some help with.

Ok my first question is if you have to have any travel tips for a first time travel to the FSU I am heading to Kherson in Ukraine.

My next question is where should I keep my documents (like my passport and plane tickets) on me or in the apartment?

Can anyone who has been to Kherson recommend any good sites to visit?
Are there any types of dangers I should be aware of?
Also what is a good amount of cash to carry around (I plan on buying a money belt as well to store some of my cash in) and should I take my credit and debit cards?

I am open to any helpful advice or tips but please keep them positive.

Thanks all

Evil ferret

Offline Olga

Re: Questions before adventure begins
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:14:25 PM »
Hi Evilferret  I kept my passport on me at all times in my front pants pocket. Plane tickets I left hidden in the flat.  Cash some on me some and in the flat hidden very well.  Atm, Visa and Amex cards on me in a small flat wallet in my front pants pocket.  I also use a money belt make sure you have aces to an iron to iron your money, ask Olga can tell you about me ironing the money in the flats in Saint Petersburg and Moscow. It was funny   :o  I also notify my card company's where I am going.  The cash I use for each day I would give to Olga in the flat and some in my pocket loose.  I figured out roughly how much cash Olga and I needed for each day and used the cards for purchases and special occasion places.

LEGAL (Olga's husband  :) )

Offline Shadow

• Ochag - Family fireplace
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:20:15 AM »
Keep your passport with you at all times. Keep your tickets and a copy of your passport (big help in case it is lost) in your room.
Check out if there are ATM's. If so do not carry a lot of cash but take it from the ATM when needed.
Keep enough cahs in a safe place to get to the airport or embassy in case of trouble.

Do not worry too much about keeping the stuff safe, just enjoy the trip.
2 know more than 1 but 100 know less

Offline LEGAL

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:28:51 AM »
I also make copies of my plane tickets passport and put the copies inside my luggage on top, just in case the airlines loose the bags, so when they open it they will see your travel and Passport and hopefully you will get your bags soon. ATM'S are good but be cautious when you are approaching one.

LEGAL

Offline LEGAL

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
Evilferret Where are you staying in Moscow? Olga and I have some good contacts in Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Siberia.

LEGAL

Dave13

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:19:24 AM »
Best of luck with your trip, make sure the cash you take is new $50 or $100, no marks on the bills.
   Try not to fold the bills before you exchange them.

Dave

Offline Olga

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »
Yes Dave is right go to your bank and ask for new bills and examine them.  My bank always has new bills and I still go through them and make sure the bills are pristine.

LEGAL

Offline ForgeMaster

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
I took a sort of cloth envelope that hung around my neck.  Often the stuff you put in your pocket sticks out because of the number of documents it contains.  I also have to pull it out of my pocket as I am fumbling for keys in that pocket.
  Money needs to be new.  No marks, no ink, no folds, no wrinkles.  Count several times because new bills stick together.  Carrying these things so that they stay in new condition is not often easy, especially in hot weather.  Don't put them all in one place.  Leave them with a trusted person if you can.  Do not leave them alone in an apartment or hotel room.  Other people have access to rooms.  I lost an Ectaco translator that way.  I used my debit card as much as possible, but on my first trip it did not work because it was scratched.  On my 2nd trip, I forwarded money to the agency (can you tell that I trusted them??) and got money out when I needed it.  Only do that under closely controlled conditions.
ForgeMaster
FirstMember

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:02:29 PM »
If I had one thing to choose over all others it is small travel size packages of kleenex type tissue.  About one package per day, each contains ten small tissues.  In a land where napkins are hard to find in restaurants, toilet tissue is paid for and a small swath is handed to you, where you sweat in summer, blow your nose in winter, and ride on train with toilet facilities which border on third world, tissues are one of my priorities.  And you can purchase these easily here for about 10 cents a package at a dollar store.

Multiple memory cards for my camera.  Cameras are often stolen by some pretty creative theives.  If your one large card is inside your camera when stolen, all your trip photos are gone.  I like to take 4-5 smaller cards and rotate them every other day.  The most I can lose is 2 days of the trip instead of the entire collection.

My Russian language study books and a writing pad.  Nothing cements what you are learning like total immersion.  If you are studying you will have many "ah-hah" moments during the trip.  Write it down.  Use your environment to learn.  Use spare time to sit with your books and drink in the language which surrounds you.  People will see you study and offer to help you for a few minutes...free (and expert) tutors!

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »
You guys are just so organised!  :o

I copy nothing, take no special precautions, I just wing it! - Really Evil Ferret, you have had good advice but the chances of something bad happening are minimal if you use common sense.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
Passport and Tickets
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 06:37:19 PM »
My next question is where should I keep my documents (like my passport and plane tickets) on me or in the apartment?
You are supposed to have your passport on you all the time while staying in Ukraine as a foreigner. The police may and will ask you to produce it which was the case with some of my clients. In particular, in the Arkadia beach area of Odessa the police were specifically looking for people who could be foreigners (e.g. spoke English) and asked them for papers.

On the other hand, you may carry a copy of your passport. Which actually worked in the above case: the copies were accepted. (But I am not sure it will always work; some policemen may find fault with it). This is safer because your papers may be lifted in a public area while the apartment is generally safer though not absolutely of course, but considerably.

As for tickets, I think it is better to keep them in the apartment. No one is going to demand them in the street, but the probability of meeting a pickpocket is higher than that of having your apartment burgled or rummaged by an unscrupulous landlord or a former tenant who made copies of the keys, and at any event they would hardly bother for tickets which may be a good evidence in case the police get them. Pickpockets, however, cannot choose what to take and will not return you what they do not need but just dispose of it into the nearest dustbin.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 08:05:14 PM »
I agree with Stirliz about leaving tickets in the apartment and would encourage our traveler to lock valuables in his luggage.  True that airport security does not allow for locked luggage, but you can lock it upon arrival.  My first Russian apartment came with a weekly maid who came in to clean and do laundry once per week.  She also helped herself to my stashes of American coffee, medicines and anything else that wasn't nailed down.  It took me about a month to start noticing the gradual disappearance of small valuables. 

If it's Russia you will visit, be certain to have your migration card/visa registration stamped and carry it with your passport at all times.

Offline DrDigits

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
Take one roll of toilet paper and some instant coffee.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 04:41:26 AM »
I am a bit of a coffeeholic.    I not only take the small jar of instant coffee but I have one of those little imersian heaters that lets you make coffee in a hotel room or apartment easily.   If you look hard enough you can find them on ebay in 110/220 v models for under $ 10.00 and mine has paid it's way a million times.

The earlier suggestion about many small memory cards for your camera can also come in handy if you are doing a WMVM. 

Offline kleeb

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
     If you really like cream in your coffee then take some Coffeemate. I couldn't find any dry creamer in Russia. They do sell those single serving packets of real cream.
     Instead of a roll of toilet paper I think it is more convenient to carry those pocket packs of tissues.
     Lee

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 06:24:38 PM »
Turbo, thanks for the idea of using ebay for the little heater--220v!  I have since converted to tea but we are traveling from Moscow to Gemany in November and I'd like one to heat up water for oatmeal or some instant soup along the way.  I'm off to ebay immediately!

Offline HiTech

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 02:20:17 PM »
As for locking luggage, Just grab some wire ties and use them instead of locks. They are easily cut for a search but it does discourage the search. Also you know if they have been or not.

Offline Bobalouie

• Names Ash....Housewares
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 09:02:15 PM »
I lock my luggage up with TSA approved locks and have had no problems on any of my 3 trips.
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 08:39:37 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful info.
 I am almost all ready for my trip and have things ready to go. I leave at night on August 12th and arrive in Ukraine on August 13th in the mourning.
 My lady wanted to meet me at the airport. I was a little nervous at first because you only get one chance to make a first impression, and I might not look or smell my best after being on a plane for 24hours.
 I told her that and she said that didn’t bother her that she was so excited and wanted to be there to welcome me when I got off the plane, so I said that would be fine by me.

The agency owner recommended having an ATM card from your bank, attached to a new saving account. And have a visa for emergencies and $500 in cash.

Well it’s late and I should get going.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.

Evilferret

P.S. I will be writing a trip report when I get back :)

Offline PlumberMan

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »
Evilferret,

Enjoy this first trip, savor it as it's a great adventure! As far as meeting your girl at the Airport, it can be a little nerve wracking for sure. If you are flying to Odessa you will more than likely have a 2-3 hour layover in Vienna, Austria. Take advantage of this by scraping off any barnacles and freshen up. It is a nice Airport and flowers can be had as well ;) Then when it is time to board a D-C 9 dated back to the late 60's with ash trays in the armrest you will have about three hours before landing in Odessa.

Really, have a good time and don't worry about things. Let nature take it's course in most if not all matters.

Offline PlumberMan

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful info.
 I am almost all ready for my trip and have things ready to go. I leave at night on August 12th and arrive in Ukraine on August 13th in the mourning.

P.S. I will be writing a trip report when I get back :)

I'm going to hold you to that [T/R] Adventure Story 8) If you have any pre-trip questions just ask and we will do are best to answer.

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 09:48:21 AM »
Good luck ferret!  :party0031:
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »
thanks :) one week to go before i leave for the trip !! :) I am very excited I went out and bought a money belt and a carry on approved suitcase. I am going to try and get everything packed into it so wish me luck on that lol.
Do you guys think they would let me take a multitool in the check on luggage even if its still in its original hard plastic wrap?

evilferret

Offline sydneyvontrapp

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 08:29:54 PM »
Hello Jordan :
    So did you get the money belt at an outdoor sporting supply store.  I got mine at an REI in my hometown.
My only worry would be someone inspecting your bag deciding they want it for their own.  We trust people to be honest and respect what is yours.  Sometimes that trust is broken.  If I don't talk to you , have a great trip.  I look forward to reading your trip report.

Dave M.

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 10:01:01 PM »
Hey Dave,

Yeah i bought it from an REI today for 25$.  I am taking a carry on bag only because I have worries about checking stuff through the airports i have lost alot of luggage before and it never showed up at my destinations so I plan on only taking the carry on with me.