The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Learning languages  (Read 1378 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Learning languages
« on: July 02, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »
I do not know where this should go really, but I was discussing the MVV and the requirement to learn dutch by the immigrants wishing to live in the NL permanently.

The topic rose that Dutch is one of the hardest languages in the world if not learnt natively.

Even Babelfish does not do well, I had a great laugh trying to translate an easy song-lyrics to English.

There is little ambiguity in the song text and absolutely no dutch "sayings/slang" messages.

Still, for fun, take a look at what babel fish says, translate this URL (song) to English:

babelfish.altavista.com choose "nederlands" to "English"

http://www.songteksten.net/lyrics/tekst/van_Dik_Hout/Stil_In_Mij.htm
http://www.songteksten.net/lyrics/tekst/Twan_Lijten/Puur_Op_Het_Gevoel.htm

For those interested, I would do a proper translation (to my best skills, I am not a professional of course).

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline kleeb

Re: Learning languages
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:05:14 PM »
     I communicated with my future wife for about two years using online translators. It really makes you think about what words you are about to use. You need to use words that have a more precise meaning. You can't use idioms or slang. Many words have so many meanings that the translator could never know which one to use. I think it just picks the most common. I once got this message from Sveta " I am already bored on you". Of course my first thought was that she was bored with me. I looked in the English/Russian dictionary. Found the Russian word for bore. Then looked at the Russian/English dictionary and found that the same word also means "miss". She was saying that she misses me. What a relief. One of the funniest was when she wrote that she doesn't like to sew, but that sometimes it is necessary. The Russian word for sew is spelled with the letter for "SH' then I and T. It is pronounced like the English word "sheet".  The word translated "sh!t". I think the person who wrote the program thought it would be funny. It was.
     Every aspect of this process is an adventure.   Lee

Registration