The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What is Eurovision?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
What is Eurovision?
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
What is Eurovision?

My guess is that Canadians and members from Europe are obviously much more familiar with the Eurovision Song Contests each year.

American award shows so dominate the USA market that most Americans, according to my guess, would not know much about Eurovison simply because its truly a European contest and so the coverage on the event is nil on this side of the pond. But this past week was the 54th Eurovision contest and it is a first class production rivaling anything seen in similar presentations.

This year was Eurovision 2009 and hosted in Moscow.

Well, they're over. The 2009 Eurovision Song Contest was hosted in Moscow this year, complete with hovering swimming pools, Dima Bilan "flying" over the audience and a live speech from an astronaut in the international space station.

The winner, Norway's Fairy Tale[/b] performed by Belarussian-born Alexander Rybak, 23, won a record 387 votes, against 218 for second-place Iceland.

For Russia, hosting the contest was a costly venture. Russian Channel One director Konstantin Ernst, who organized the event, said it totaled more than 24 million euros ($32.3 million). Hours before the 11 p.m. start, the Olimpiisky Sports Complex was surrounded by flag-waving fans. Sporting Union Jack flag face paint and a beaded Russian headdress, Helena Davidson from London praised Russia for its handling of the semifinals. "It's putting on an amazing show. I can't wait for tonight," she said.

Iceland came in second and third place went to Azerbaijan with the song "Always" by Aysel & Arash.

Ukraine's Svetland Loboda performed to wildly cheer crowds but did not win.

The hosts were popular comedian Ivan Urgant and pop singer Alsou. Making his English-language debut, Urgant seemed relaxed in his interaction with the audience. "Are you enjoying my flawless British accent?" he asked the crowd to screams of approval.

Alsou performed as well as being the cohost.

Armenian sisters Anush and Inga Arshakyan placed tenth with this song.

In previous years, winners were determined by national televoting - the aggregate votes cast by viewers in each country determined the country's vote. Votes for the country in which one was voting were not allowed.  This year, however, a mixture of 50 percent televote and 50 percent jury was used. National juries consisting of five music-industry professionals in each country helped determine the vote for each of 42 countries.

You can find coverage and photos at the Mendeleyev Journal as well as this page.

Offline froid

Re: What is Eurovision?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »
You guessed wrong...most Canadian's don't know anything about Eurovision.  Damn American's flood our airwaves with their shows and we can't escape!
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »
In the UK, it's regarded as a bit of a joke and a laugh as lesser nations take it seriously and vote for their neighbours!

Anyway, this year was no exception as all the song were truly awful and not indicative of any current music trend or even any national tradition.

UK came fifth, but no-one really cares.

Mind you we've still not recovered from when Cliff Richard was robbed in 1968 with 'Congratulations', crafty bit of vote-rigging by the French;

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641315030

..who've still not forgiven us for Mers-El-Kebir;

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641315030

Anyway, with Eurovision the voting has always been the best part, cos you do get caught up in it when ur neighbouring country only gives ur song 'Bing-Bang-Boing' three points when really you think the song is terrible and wish we could enter it with U2 or something - they are half-English after all.

And the Russian song was sung in Ukrainian I believe this year, 'Mamo' - or was it 'Salo' with everyone dancing round a huge pile of salted pork-fat....?

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:53:49 PM »
Anyway, this year was no exception as all the song were truly awful and not indicative of any current music trend or even any national tradition.

I thought some of the music, for example of several in the top 10, were very representative of national tradition and very contemporary such as Aysel Teymurzade from Azerbaijan. We certainly agree that it was hard to understand the UK's choice of Jade Ewen who sang "It's my time" as that song did absolutely nothing for viewers or the UK.

The singer representing Poland, Lidia Kopania, sang something in the same vein but it was much better produced and presented.

I will admit that watching Svetlana Lobada (Ukraine) that given her clothing (barely) and the angles from which she danced, I couldn't remember a thing she sang!  :chuckle:   Going back and re-watching it, I wasn't sure if the song even mattered...but the view was sure interesting.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »

I thought some of the music, for example of several in the top 10, were very representative of national tradition and very contemporary such as Aysel Teymurzade from Azerbaijan. We certainly agree that it was hard to understand the UK's choice of Jade Ewen who sang "It's my time" as that song did absolutely nothing for viewers or the UK.

The singer representing Poland, Lidia Kopania, sang something in the same vein but it was much better produced and presented.

I will admit that watching Svetlana Lobada (Ukraine) that given her clothing (barely) and the angles from which she danced, I couldn't remember a thing she sang!  :chuckle:   Going back and re-watching it, I wasn't sure if the song even mattered...but the view was sure interesting.

What was the Roman Centurion thing all about, then?

I would vote for Ukraine if they had Via-Gra on!

The German one freaked me out - Nadia said the dancer, Dita von Tesse (a Septic, I think) is well known in Germany, but tho whole think looked stupid, especially when you consider the title of the song, 'Miss Kiss-Kiss Bang-Bang' - I mean, is this indicative of music in Germany now? Why no Rammstein? Maybe they could have wheeled out Propaganda (one of my faves!) or Einsturzende Neubauten. Rammstein very popular in Russia BTW...

German popular music is pretty rubbish tho - Russian is good tho - Nadia got me into Nochnye Snaipery recently...

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
You guessed wrong...most Canadian's don't know anything about Eurovision.  Damn American's flood our airwaves with their shows and we can't escape!

I have 5 or 6 European cable channels in my TV subscription package.  None covered the contest but the European news on BBC did show clips and the winner. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
In the UK, it's regarded as a bit of a joke and a laugh as lesser nations take it seriously and vote for their neighbours!

That what your awful commentators always complain about. I decided to take notice who UK is voting for.. Guess what? Their neighbors! Year after year we were forced to watch Eurovision with overly sarcastic bitter and sour British comments, no wonder they were not getting any votes sometimes and not because of neighboring votes otherwise Finns would never win contest, Belgium would never come second. This year our TV moguls sent our own commentators, main reason for that - previous UK commentators turned public away from the Eurovision. Nobody wants to watch the show with constant criticism of everything and everybody on the back ground. And I've heard that this year they were no different but I'm very glad that I had a chance to watch without that "bitching"

She didn't do any favor to Ukrainian women did she? Just tarnish some more their long suffering reputations. Our commentators didn't comment on her, but many others did. French called her a prostitute, others a call-girl

Offline alenika

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
German popular music is pretty rubbish tho - Russian is good tho - Nadia got me into Nochnye Snaipery recently...
Ночные снайперы is not pop-music, it's mild rock.
What about Eurovision - not wonder it's songs of such types there - it's song contest where everyone votes. And it should be pop song then - as most people chooe pop song as winner.
I hope you do not suggest to sing there some classic music aria there.
I didn't hear all the contest as it was banned here in Georgia and tv couldn't show it, but from what I listened I liked Estonian song. The winner was sweet too :)
I understand that if the winner was young girls instead of young man you'd like her much more lol but not all voters are men. btw.. as I remember UK is mostly on last places in this contest last years... and always complaining  ;D
I close eyes to see better

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »

no wonder they were not getting any votes sometimes and not because of neighboring votes otherwise Finns would never win contest, Belgium would never come second. This year our TV moguls sent our own commentators, main reason for that - previous UK commentators turned public away from the Eurovision. Nobody wants to watch the show with constant criticism of everything and everybody on the back ground. And I've heard that this year they were no different but I'm very glad that I had a chance to watch without that "bitching"

The reason we got no votes is because our songs were bloody crap! but even this year after changing the voting system you could see how neighbouring countries still voted for each other.
Слава Україні

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »
you could see how neighbouring countries still voted for each other.
with no exceptions! UK for Ireland, Ireland for UK.  How are they different to Romania and Moldova? or to Greece and Cyprus?

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 02:59:54 AM »
you could see how neighbouring countries still voted for each other.
with no exceptions! UK for Ireland, Ireland for UK.  How are they different to Romania and Moldova? or to Greece and Cyprus?

Did they? Bet we got nowt off France tho! Was Ireland in it this year?

I liked Terry Wogan when he did the commentary, this year Graham Norton did it, he was just trying to be Wogan, and not very well.

On the positive side I liked the Icelandic song, tho Nadia said it was only cos I fancied her which is untrue!

Not sure about the suspended swimming pools tho - can't decide if it was an artistic triumph or just daft.

Of course I will be watching it next year!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 03:28:39 AM »

She didn't do any favor to Ukrainian women did she? Just tarnish some more their long suffering reputations. Our commentators didn't comment on her, but many others did. French called her a prostitute, others a call-girl

Ok, this one made me curious so I decided to watch this entry. She wasn't dressed like  a callgirl or prostitute. She was dressed like an ancient greek woman, only with color red instead of white. The men in her act were dressed like ancient greek warriors.

And of course, russian famous singers are equally sexy clothed : (TaTu, its all about us)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

WO, one could point to a long list of Russian singers who use sex to sell music. I'll give you a quick example: Fabrica is one of my personal favourites. I adored them when they were truly little ladies with an innocent look and sound. Today, there is nothing innocent or "little girl" about them, they are as sexy as the rest.

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »
Just had a glimpse of 2010 Eurovision. FSU contestants made me proud... They looked gorgeous especially compare to some I'm not going to mention

Georgia

Armenia

Azerbaijan

Ukraine

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 07:13:28 AM »
Just had a glimpse of 2010 Eurovision. FSU contestants made me proud... They looked gorgeous especially compare to some I'm not going to mention

Thats ok , we know what our women look like  :ROFL: Netherlands was sent home even before the finals. Good riddance too, she was a disgrace.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 08:01:13 AM »
If our Susy was there she'd whip a** both vocally and visually.  tiphat

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »
Together with Masha, I saw the Junior EuroVision in Kiev. As we watched the acts we both simultaneously fell out of chairs laughing at the Dutch act. When we contacted Hilversum & the KRO to get the full names of the dancers who were essential to the performance or act, no one knew there names. And no one cared.

The acts were everything dreadful, humorous, painful, stunning, beautiful. Some acts were raw and some were polished. It was a mixture on rock concert, pop music, theater, honky tonk and opera. Each performer in there own way was talented, maybe not my taste but there was a degree of talent. I think if you reach the stage you have made a major accomplishment.

But the voting system is very strange (perhaps a bit like voting in a Russian or Ukraine election?). If I am not mistaken ABBA was the very first winner in EuroVision and it has basically been a downhill slide since than.

The Dutch won the contest Junior this time.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
If I am not mistaken ABBA was the very first winner in EuroVision and it has basically been a downhill slide since than.

Yep, you're mistaken.

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »
Strangely, most of the participants were actually quite good this year....  :o

Except that English dude. What a knob.

Cyprus (also know as Wales) did a great job though.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 01:44:54 AM »
It is amazing to read some of the posters who have long since disappeared.

In any event as a BUMP Eurovision is being held in Rotterdam. There is Russian act in the final group as well as an Ukrainian group that mix folk songs with techno.

Here is the website > https://eurovision.tv/ <

This while lame is more enjoyable than conspiracy theories.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2021, 05:57:12 AM »
Italy won, the song is not so awful. France was 2nd 3rd went to Malta, 4th for Switzerland and 5th was Ukraine.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 06:23:49 AM »
Apparently the public still thinks this should be about music. A well deserved 0 points for Dutch.
OO===[][]===OO

Online AvHdB

Re: Eurovision?
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »
Apparently the public still thinks this should be about music. A well deserved 0 points for Dutch.

The same results for the UK!

Offline Arsene

• Spouses Country: France
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 02:01:26 AM »
Eurovision 2022: Beware of countries that will not give the highest score for Ukraine tonight...I’m not sure Ursula will agree...she risks cutting the subsidy tap !!!  :hidechair:

Offline Arsene

• Spouses Country: France
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2022, 06:29:08 PM »
Obsiously, Ukraine’s victory is totally unexpected  :king:

Registration