The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Food in the FSU  (Read 15149 times)

Offline jseddy

Food in the FSU
« on: January 16, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
hmmm. How to put this delicately.... I have a fairly sensitive constitution. Nothing to be proud of but true nonetheless. Seems the slightest odd mixture of foods can imbalance my system.

All the advice I can get to help not being miserable in the FSU would be greatly appreciated. Beyond "water no bubbles" I'm at a loss of how to best protect myself.

Offline Jared2151

Re: Question about food in the FSU
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »
IMMODIUM AD      tiphat

Offline Paul

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
Seems the slightest odd mixture of foods can imbalance my system.

What do you consider to be an odd mixture of food?

In Moscow, you can find just about any kind of restaurant that you might imagine. The best Thai restaurant that I have eaten at, was in Moscow.

Offline jseddy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »
It doesn't seem to be consistent. I eat Thai (not super spicy), Indian, Mexican, Cuban, Greek regularly. Half the time I'm fine, half the time I get hit completely out of the blue. Vinegar based=never good.

I plan on getting a check-up about this to see what I can do, but I always get the generic "watch what you eat" reply. I'm pretty young and consider myself a foodie, so its kind of a big issue for me. Nobody I speak to seems to want to take it seriously.

I keep reading the trip reports about the markets where you get meat and fish and cringe.

Offline Paul

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »
It doesn't seem to be consistent. I eat Thai (not super spicy), Indian, Mexican, Cuban, Greek regularly. Half the time I'm fine, half the time I get hit completely out of the blue. Vinegar based=never good.

I love Greek food too  :) For me, Georgian food seems very similar to Greek food. There are plenty of Georgian restaurants in Moscow, and there should be a few in any large Ukrainian city.

If your stomach is able to handle Cuban and Mexican food, then it should be able to handle most foods in the FSU, minus the foods like mushrooms that have been soaking in vinegar. Just tell any lady friend that you go to meet, that you can't eat things with vinegar and she should be able to find things that are ok for you. BTW, I've eaten at a nice Mexican restaurant in Moscow too (the only Russian food that I have ever had in Russia, was home cooked edit- except once). 

Offline jb

• I was anti-obama before it was cool
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:16:35 AM »
Generally speaking Russian food is pretty bland, Russian use more herbs than spice in food preparation.   You should be OK with most foods.  I hope you have acquired a taste for caviar, if not there's no reason to marry a Russian.   ;D
I was anti-obama before it was cool

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
I have second thoughts about caviar.  I only ever tried it here in the US once, and it was the saltiest, fishiest taste to ever cross my tongue.  Is this normal, or did I just get some nasty caviar ?

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »
Jseddy, you can do quite a bit of research here on RUA.  First go to the trip reports sections and see 2TallBill's current topic.  You'll find it to be both eye opening and fascinating as Bill is a good communicator and photographer. http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5560.0

Then head over to the RUA recipes section.  These are divided into types (soups/salads/desserts/etc) so with hundreds you could spend all day.  But poke around at your leisure and start at this link with the "main dish" recipes which have both photos and list of ingredients. http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=3495.0

Offline Paul

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
I have second thoughts about caviar.  I only ever tried it here in the US once, and it was the saltiest, fishiest taste to ever cross my tongue.  Is this normal, or did I just get some nasty caviar ?

You had normal caviar. Was it red or black?

Black caviar is much better than red caviar.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »
DD, sounds like someone fed our friend Jared some of the $1.99 "fish bait" from the Walmart bait and tackle dept!

The good stuff:

Black comes from Sturgeon fish.

Red (orangish) come from Salmon.

Not cheap but so popular it's sold from vending machines!

Offline jb

• I was anti-obama before it was cool
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
Jared,

I think you got the cheap stuff.  Sometimes you are sold frog roe (really nasty) by an unscrupulous vender instead of real sturgeon roe.  

jseddy;

The black sturgeon roe is usually reserved for dinner parties and the red caviar is mostly everyday, I like it for breakfast.  Take a Russian pancake, slather it with butter or smitana, a big spoonful of red caviar, roll the whole thing up like a taquito,,, you'll not find anything better!

I've heard Ukrainians even use caviar as a topping on salo, which sounds pretty disgusting to me.

Another interesting and unusual food enjoyed in the far east of Russia is pickled cod fish livers,,, as bad as that sounds, it's actually fairly tasty.  But these are snack foods you are eating while doing the important stuff, like drinking the local rocket fuel, otherwise known as vodka.

Russians eat a lot of seafood, it's on virtually every table at least 3 times a week.  Most Russians like fresh fish best, but will happily eat either salted, smoked, or pickled fish as well.  If you cannot tolerate vinegar based foods, I advise you to steer clear of the pickled fish and pickled mushrooms.

A sampling of typical Russian foods can be found here:
http://www.russianfoods.com/showroom/view00371/vendor003E7/default.asp
I was anti-obama before it was cool

Offline anjutka

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:39:58 PM »
well....knowing food business in russia could say that its really can be black business and its very difficult to buy really good caviar.....
personally,i prefer to buy red caviar but which made in Finland ;D...its not soooo salt as we have...actually all red caviar which is salt one -its not so good.....even its not so tasty as can be)))))))
1 Life is not rehearsal... 2 sorry for my english;-)) 3 Thinking only always positive way=be healthy and happy))))) 4yes, and I am 41 yo ;-))))))))))))) 5 In life there are no rules!!! 6 but he should not be older 45 yo )))) 7...? ;-)

Offline Kimosabe

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
I keep reading the trip reports about the markets where you get meat and fish and cringe.

When I lived in Odessa, we went to the HUGE open market next to the train station, Kirov Market if I remember the name correctly.  There we bought beef, fish, cheese, veggies, fruit, everything you can imagine and it was all displayed openly on tables.  There was a distinct odor but it was coming from the ground, waste water channels and garbage cans.  The food was 95% fresh, all locally grown or caught, and we never had a problem with "the revenge".

Fish was displayed hole or in cuts but the interesting thing their back stock was kept in tanker trucks!  I can't verify this but I think it was live fish.  I don't think it gets much fresher than this.  Also, there were dozens of vendors of the same product so there was a lot of competition for freshness and price.  Sure, the market was primitive, by western standards, but it worked very well for the people and had been for centuries.  If you won't shop there, at least go there, experience the culture, people, process, and history, it and places like it are fascinating.

Offline Catman

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »
The food in Russia is very good. LOTS of fish. The red cavier is great.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
I personally love GOOD caviar. But the last few times that I got to have it it was horrible. You probably had the latter. But then again it is an aquired taste. But real, good black caviar is truly awseme IMO!

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »
The food in Russia is very good. LOTS of fish. The red cavier is great.
welcome back Catman! Can't wait to read about your trip. How is your lovely lady?

Offline Catman

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
The lovely lady is lovely ;D Everything was great. Now for the next step of a visa for her visit to Canada.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
The lovely lady is lovely ;D Everything was great. Now for the next step of a visa for her visit to Canada.
Real happy for you buddy!!! And glad I got to play Cupid once again :loving:

Offline mirror

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 02:10:07 AM »
We have a habbit in Russia to drink tea.What do you drink in your country?

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 03:06:06 AM »

You had normal caviar. Was it red or black?

Black caviar is much better than red caviar.

sounds like "old" meaning not fresh caviar to me

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 04:12:51 AM »
On caviar, sadly, I am one of the haters and I can understand why folks might feel as I do. Although I do quite like the popping of the eggs in one's mouth. A 'meaty' version might be quite nice. ;)

As to food in general, from what the OP wrote I am guessing that at least a part of his issues are headspace related not from any allergies. If this is the case then life will be hard coz your head is making your choices, not your palate.

As others have written Russian food is pretty bland, just as in Finland, salt is considered a spice. :( If one's feelings of revulsion are driven by the manner of production or preparation then, if only coz things are different, one will have problems. There are reasons why many travellers look for a Mickey D when they hit a new locale.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline froid

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 04:52:54 AM »
Maybe you just ran into bad cooks?  My Finnish grandmother, and all her many sisters didn't know what a salt shaker looked like while cooking.  And Mila and her mother didn't seem to use it either.  Garlic, onions and bay leaves and dill were all over the place though. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 06:14:44 AM »
We have a habbit in Russia to drink tea.What do you drink in your country?

Mirror

Coffee, speciality coffee, or teas. The choice is a personal preference for the person.   :)

Some drink only tea, some both, some perfer coffee. You can get any of these in different variety's from the stores, or coffee shops here. 

Offline Catman

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 06:50:03 AM »
Coffee in the morning to charge things up and tea all evening, if you are chilled from the cold weather add vodka ;D

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »
Why ruin perfectly good vodka ?  :chuckle: