The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Siberian Winters  (Read 7227 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Siberian Winters
« on: December 30, 2008, 01:49:43 AM »
Found this cool photo topic, dunno if it has been posted yet :)

http://englishrussia.com/?p=594
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
Re: Siberian Winters
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
Why not?  I used one of these some time ago to prove that vodka can freeze at certain temps.

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:25:49 PM »
Neat pictures..
 I've been in -75f temps with a 30 mph wind when I was in the most northerly part of Ak.

It's no fun being outside for 5 minutes. It hurts to even breathe.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:04:08 PM »
Found this cool photo topic, dunno if it has been posted yet :)

http://englishrussia.com/?p=594

Very cool Markje  :THUB:

Neat pictures..
 I've been in -75f temps with a 30 mph wind when I was in the most northerly part of Ak.

My coldest temp was -27f, and that was too much for me. I can't even begin to imagine how cold -75f is.  :o

Offline mirror

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »
I can't even begin to imagine how cold -75f is.  :o

I was working above polar circle (За полярным кругом)  and know what is it -70 C (we measure temperature here in Russia in Celcium.I can sure you it is cold even for Russians!  ;D 

The bottom of lake is ice  even in July  ;D We call it вечная мерзлота.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 12:39:01 AM »
I'd be very weary of drinking that 'vodka' if it was frozen. To me those photo's are either from a group of guys trying to show how cold it is, or trying to instill some stereotypes of life in winter.

For starters if that frost is really that thick on his side window I can only think it got that way by the 3 guys sleeping in the car for a few weeks. Its a thick as some old style freezers !   Second if they couldn't defrost the windows they have some things wrong. 1st the seals on the windows/doors are  not doing their job. 2nd the heater controls are on recirculate, not the fresh setting. This will be the difference between clear and iced glass.
After all that warm moist indoor air needs to be replaced.  3rd , -60c and they are posing with no gloves, hat ?  Too me it may be -20c at most with little or no wind.  And if vodka freezes... it's not real !
But they do have some nice pics of the trees. One thing to remember is that the temperature changed dramatically with the level of wind.  If the combined temperature is -60c the car, statues and other non living objects do not reach -60c.  They remain at the temperature before the wind is factored in.

Offline froid

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
Oh Don.

There are just SO many jokes to be made in reply to your post...I can't pick which one!!!

You sound very expert at living in and surviving the cold.  Hahahaha. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
Oh Don.

There are just SO many jokes to be made in reply to your post...I can't pick which one!!!

You sound very expert at living in and surviving the cold.  Hahahaha. 

Well I know a thing or two on the subject  :chuckle:  Just can't stand when people try to ham up things to make a tale to tell.

Offline ldelo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »
IIRC I was in Saratov when the still air temp was around -20F (-29C) and the wind chill was at or below -50F (~ -45C.)

One certainly wasn't cavalier about leaving skin exposed and did not do so for long.

I've also lived on (for about a week, in tents) and climbed 4,000 meter peaks in similar conditions.

Point is, yes some of those pictures looked contrived based on my experience.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »
Neat pictures..

5 Minutes?  with a 30 mph wind?  And you lived to tell?  And kept body parts?

Now I realize you being from the northern 48 . . . and me from south of miami, you're gonna expect me to believe -75 with 30 mph wind.

Methinks you might survive -25 with a 30 mph wind . . . for 5 mikes.  Or, maybe -35 and 30 shielded by the building/vehicle from the wind for 5.

Now I'll admit northern 48 types . . . really got some tales . . . ya'll oughta hear some of my tales.

:plane:

Offline sparky114

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »
Neat pictures..

Now I realize you being from the northern 48 . . . and me from south of miami, you're gonna expect me to believe -75 with 30 mph wind.

Methinks you might survive -25 with a 30 mph wind . . . for 5 mikes.  Or, maybe -35 and 30 shielded by the building/vehicle from the wind for 5.

Now I'll admit northern 48 types . . . really got some tales . . . ya'll oughta hear some of my Alaskan tales.

Hey Gwaky! I would keep away from anywhere east of the Ural mountains in Russia then :)

Been in -48c and with wind that would cut you through, and that is on a good day :)
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline el_guero

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
50 below in tents and training at 4k m?

;)

You one of them good ole boys from Greely . . . ?

IIRC I was in Saratov when the still air temp was around -20F (-29C) and the wind chill was at or below -50F (~ -45C.)

One certainly wasn't cavalier about leaving skin exposed and did not do so for long.

I've also lived on (for about a week, in tents) and climbed 4,000 meter peaks in similar conditions.

Point is, yes some of those pictures looked contrived based on my experience.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
that was cute short circuit.

been there, done that, and the troops came out with their skin, and i kept my stripes.

;)

you really won't convince me you played on the beach at -49c . . . frost bite of all exposed skin in seconds . . . start getting frost bite of gloved hands and feet within minutes . . . coffee freezes with a pop . . .

And with wind?  eyeballs freeze in their sockets . . .

why do you think they had me take care of the troops?  i ain't from the northern 48 . . .

:coffeeread:

Neat pictures..

Methinks you might survive -25 with a 30 mph wind . . . for 5 mikes.  Or, maybe -35 and 30 shielded by the building/vehicle from the wind for 5.

Now I'll admit northern 48 types . . . really got some tales . . . ya'll oughta hear some of my Alaskan tales.

Hey Gwaky! I would keep away from anywhere east of the Ural mountains in Russia then :)

Been in -48c and with wind that would cut you through, and that is on a good day :)

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »

been there, done that, and the troops came out with their skin, and i kept my stripes.

;)

you really won't convince me you played on the beach at -49c . . . frost bite of all exposed skin in seconds . . . start getting frost bite of gloved hands and feet within minutes . . . coffee freezes with a pop . . .

why do you think they had me take care of the troops?  i ain't from the northern 48 . . .

Call of Duty or Medal of Honor? ;D

Offline el_guero

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »
no MOH for me . . . whew!  i cannot even imagine what the boys did trying to get outta chosin . . . most of 'em didn't make that. . . way too young fer nam as well.  Nam veterans paid dues for a lot of folks (*).

i didn't know you were THAT old?

;)

;)

Call of Duty or Medal of Honor? ;D

(*) dues are a payment to join a club or something similar.  to pay your dues indicates you joined something special.  usually, what you joined in this case was not because you wanted to, but because circumstances forced you to do so.

Chosin reservoir was a location during the Korean War (peace action).  US Army units and some ally units were over run during one of the coldest winters in the last 100 years in Korea.  It has been stated that many soldiers froze to death.

(how is war a peace action?)

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
 Well since were talking about surviving in the cold, as kids we ( yes that's right) would often head out to play in a 2250-2450 windchill.  Those numbers are the metric version of measuring windchill. Watts per square metre of exposed skin. So say if you had a square metre of exposed skin ( don't ask me why you would) and the wind chill was 2400 , it means you'd need to generate 2400 watts of energy to keep the windchill away  ???
 Yeah it sounds confusing, but we just applied the number to how cold it would feel without wondering why we'd be standing naked outside.  
 Some years ago they decided to change over to the temperature equivalent, which would of put our 2250 WC value at the - 50c plus range.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »
you guys had all the fun!

Well since were talking about surviving in the cold, as a kids we ( yes that's right) would often head out to play in a 2250-2450 windchill.  Those numbers are the metric version of measuring windchill. Watts per square metre of exposed skin. So say if you had a square metre of exposed skin ( don't ask me why you would) and the wind chill was 2400 , it means you'd need to generate 2400 watts of energy to keep the windchill away  ???
 Yeah it sounds confusing, but we just applied the number to how cold it would feel without wondering why we'd be standing naked outside. 
 Some years ago they decided to change over to the temperature equivalent, which would of put our 2250 WC value at the - 50c plus range.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »
  You know we really did.  :-*
 I always hear from others who live in a snowless landscape, complaining about the snow and the cold. Most recently Axl Rose commenting on the weather here on Wednesday when he kicked off his North American tour ( snow was melting)  :-\
 It's all how you look at it, you can think that you'll die if you stand outside, or you can embrace it and enjoy many winter sporting activities.
 But I understand those who can't deal with a snowy day, I get the same feeling when I have been in the FSU for too long. It's all what your used to.  :)

Now where are some winter photo's of lake Baikal ?

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:15 AM »
Now where are some winter photo's of lake Baikal ?

I've been to Lake Baikal in December.  I took a train trip circling the south part of the lake.  I have a very vivid memory of standing on a train bridge looking down at a frozen lake, and another of looking at a waterfall that was at one time flowing into the lake, but was at that time frozen solid.

Irkutsk in December is, well, cold.

And the girl I went to go meet there was, well, cold.

So, there ya have it...  ::)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
Now where are some winter photo's of lake Baikal

They are here: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5974.0

Registration