The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Tourist Visa  (Read 2435 times)

Offline 4passionandlove

Tourist Visa
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:36:19 PM »
I know how hard it is to get a tourist visa to America for single woman from FSU.  I got my Congressman or his office to write the Embassy a letter recommending the tourist Visa. My question is, should I write a letter too?  The Embassy should have my information on file since I was checked in this past March.

If yes, what should I include in my letter?
Thanks

Offline freebird

Re: Tourist Visa
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:32:04 PM »
I doubt a Congressman will furnish a letter recommending a tourist visa.  He Doesn't personally know the parties involved and his reputation would be in question if anything went wrong.

A letter from an unrelated male would not help.  In fact, it would probably be sufficient cause for the interviewer/adjuciator to deny the visa.

Sorry to be a pessimist.  The tourist Visa is that- tourist.  The consular officers are quite aware of women applying for tourist visas to visit guys.  If an officer feels like he/she is being bullshitted, the denial will be issued.  A letter from an unrelated male would most likely be considered as BS and slam-dunk for denial.

Offline 4passionandlove

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »
But Freebird, I got the letter from my Congressman.

Who believes Freedbird is correct about me writting a letter to the Embassy?

Who thinks that a letter along with my Congressman letter is a good idea?

Speak up. Do not be shy!!!!!!!

Offline Bobalouie

• Names Ash....Housewares
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:04:22 PM »
I look at it this way:  A letter from a Congressman would have a lot more teeth than a letter from an individual joe.  So much more that your letter would have an infintesimal impact on the proceedings.  That being said, I wouldnt write one.  If they are not influenced by a letter from a Congressman, then the addition of your letter will have no impact.  But if you feel strongly about it, I really do not think it is going to hurt your case either.
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!

Offline Simoni

• Sometimes known as Rocket Man.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 11:27:30 PM »
But Freebird, I got the letter from my Congressman.

Who believes Freedbird is correct about me writting a letter to the Embassy?

Who thinks that a letter along with my Congressman letter is a good idea?

Speak up. Do not be shy!!!!!!!

Freebird is correct...a letter from you would make the powers that be think your girl is not coming as a tourist--but to see you and that she is a high risk to immigrate. So, she will be turned down.

If framed correctly, the Congressman's letter might be helpful...but not if it links her to you.

Most important to her getting a visa would be--

She is older
She has a good job in the FSU
She owns property in the FSU
She has family tie in the FSU that would bring her home to the FSU.

Most girls that guys here are attracted to will NOT meet the criteria for a torist visa...

Sorry for the bad news...but those are the facts, IMHO

And I think it's going to be a long, long time...

Offline Jet

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:12:36 PM »
Number one rule is that the applicant must overcome the presumption of immigrant intent. This she must do 100% on her own. I agree w/ Freebird regarding a letter from you - bad idea. This is coming from someone who has helped procure 4 tourist visas (3 US / 1 UK).

If you decide to go against Freebird's advice, AT LEAST don't tell them you are giving her a place to stay and covering her expenses  :'(
The most vociferous protestations invariably come from the worst offenders ~ Alcee Hastings - US house of Representatives