The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Street Surfing in Russia  (Read 5742 times)

Offline DonA

Street Surfing in Russia
« on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
Street surfing in Russia.......

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Street Surfing in Russia
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:57:02 AM »
I'd love to see the aftermath when one of these bright kids takes a spill in this 'shallow pool'. ....Is organ donation an option for the terminally stupid in Russia?

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »
I'd love to see the aftermath when one of these bright kids takes a spill in this 'shallow pool'. ....Is organ donation an option for the terminally stupid in Russia?

they watched too much of Jack a$$, which originated in USA if I'm not wrong.

Offline ECR844

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 03:14:17 AM »

they watched too much of Jack a$$, which originated in USA if I'm not wrong.

Alas, though, we offer the rest of our community the benefit of the more dense members of our population who do things such as these and are organ donors as well. Alas, though, "WO," my original question still stands.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Nice photos, Don!

Eric, as you work in the emergency services industry, you know well that kids have no concept of their mortality.  Until it's too late.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 06:32:26 AM »
kids have no concept of their mortality.

Well, I think it looks like a lot of fun.  But I am just starting to get to the point were my body takes a bit longer to heal than it used to.  >:( :(

Another thing to consider is the possibility of flushing enough of that water in your engine to tear up your rods, crank, and bearings when those pistons try to compress a liquid.  I've seen that done by people doing stuff like this.   :duh:

Offline ECR844

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 06:50:20 AM »
Nice photos, Don!

Eric, as you work in the emergency services industry, you know well that kids have no concept of their mortality.  Until it's too late.

"mendeleyev,"

I do agree that children and young adults from many cutlures have little to no concept of their mortality. That being said, over the years I have seen two distinct variations on this theme. The first is what you mention above. Some young people being youg and feeling invulnerable taking a calculated risk or act6ivity which ends up being a painful lesson on what not to do.

The second, is the 'terminally stupid' (this is one of the more politically correct terms we use) as many of us refer to them. These are a subset of the population which causes myself and my peers to continuously interefere with the recurring proving of Darwin's theories. As a result many of these people become 'repeat offenders' until usually it cuminates in an act where they either 'get a clue,' and stop; or, they end up killing themselsves and or others.

YMMV....

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »
Hey, but that is WAAAY cool!
There was a creative mind at work there, never mind any risks. Realistically, of course the risk is less than might be imagined. A flat clear surface - the road. A decent cover of water and a relatively low speed with the participants wearing some protection.

Worst case - a dose of the shits from drinking dirty water.

Oh, they can afford the truck, they ain't poor so most of the ill effects, if any, will be cared for properly.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 07:58:48 AM »
Realistically, of course the risk is less than might be imagined. A flat clear surface - the road. A decent cover of water and a relatively low speed with the participants wearing some protection.

Yeah, I compared it riding a motorcycle.  Less likely to get hurt due to lower speeds, water as a cushion, and such but more likely to have an accident.

Oh, they can afford the truck

Yeah, I noticed the truck as well.  Nice!  But did you notice the mini-van taking pictures.  I guess it is a good vehicle for doing that.

Offline ECR844

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »
Hey, but that is WAAAY cool!
There was a creative mind at work there, never mind any risks. Realistically, of course the risk is less than might be imagined. A flat clear surface - the road. A decent cover of water and a relatively low speed with the participants wearing some protection.

Worst case - a dose of the shits from drinking dirty water.

Oh, they can afford the truck, they ain't poor so most of the ill effects, if any, will be cared for properly.

We are obviously looking at different pictures. the flat clear surface is asphault. How much kinetic energy do you think would occurwhen one of these chuckle heads take a spill at say 15 MPH, and smack their squash on the pavement? How much torsion on a persons C-spine in any direction do you think it will take to break their neck? Not quite as much as you imagine..There is certainly enough 'potential' here. So with respect...you're wrong!

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »
We are obviously looking at different pictures. the flat clear surface is asphault. How much kinetic energy do you think would occurwhen one of these cghuckle heads take a spill at say 15 MPH, and smack their squash on the pavement? How much torsion on a persons C-pine in any direction do you think it will take to break their neck? Not quite as much as you imagine..There is certainly enough 'potnetial' here. So with respect...you're wrong!

I think that when andrewfi refers to the "flat clear surface" (asphalt road) as being relatively safe, he is attempting to point out that one would not expect a stump, brick, rock or something of that nature to enter into the picture.  And you are right, it doesn't take much to get hurt VERY badly but at the same you can also get very lucky and come away from a bad spill unscathed.  I actually work in accident investigation.  There are a lot of little details that factor into had badly someone gets injured.  One of those factors is how healthy and strong your body is.  Like I mentioned above, I've beginning to realize that I need to start thinking twice before jumping down those double black diamond runs without looking.  I'm still hurting from the last three horses that dumped me on my @$$ and that's been nearly two months ago.

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »
I wonder what that Dodge Ram is worth in Russia? It looks to be maybe a 2003/4/5 model? That could be $40k in Russia.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 10:15:34 AM »
I wonder what that Dodge Ram is worth in Russia? It looks to be maybe a 2003/4/5 model? That could be $40k in Russia.

I was thinking the same about the truck, that's one expensive ride in Russia, and not something you see everyday. I think you're in the right ball park with $40K, I would be afraid to own something like that in Russia out of fear of it being stolen.  :D

p.s. on one of my flights home from Moscow a few years back a professional team of wakeboarders were seated near me, they had put on an exhibition in Russia somewhere...apparently it's catching on.  :travel:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
Looking at what they are doing from an objective point of view there is little risk. But if things go wrong then the effects could be serious. As one who HAS had close up experience of direct head to road incidents I would still say that they are not in much danger. I'd love to have done that at their age, but I had my own stuff to do.  ;D

Thing is that the guys evidently know what they are doing and they are in a situation where their progress is more controlled and stable than if they were on open water or on the sea. So, they are unlikely to fall, but if they were to fall and land badly, then they could get hurt more than if they were off the Black Sea coast.
Risk comparison is similar to parachuting: if it goes wrong, you die, but it rarely goes wrong and so few die. Same same here - risk of mishap is low, but consequesnces of mishap are severe.

Sometimes we do stuff because we can and because it is cool and we should not let an over cautious and poor assessment of the real risks get in the way of these fun activities.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline ECR844

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 09:24:48 PM »
"andrewfi,"

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I guess that perhaps dealing 90% of the time with the 10% of the individuals who it does 'go badly for' may make a difference as well. Yet make no mistake, in the aforementioned cases when you eff up or make a mistake it is going to leave a mark or potentially permenantly damage you.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 09:38:45 PM »
when you eff up or make a mistake it is going to leave a mark

This reminds me of the wisdom imparted from Bart Simpson when he decided to become a dare devil.  If I remember correctly he taught that, "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever."

Offline ECR844

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »
when you eff up or make a mistake it is going to leave a mark

This reminds me of the wisdom imparted from Bart Simpson when he decided to become a dare devil.  If I remember correctly he taught that, "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever."

Yeah...............       

The hot chicks ALWAYS go for the guys with diapers, foleys, and who roll phat in their electric wheelchairs. Sexy really comes on back when they talk and spew mucus from their trachs.