The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Considering traveling to the Baltics in May  (Read 460 times)

Offline Dutchmanaz

Considering traveling to the Baltics in May
« on: February 21, 2024, 07:58:30 AM »
Hello everyone.
I'm considering going to the Baltic region in May, and am curious from those who have been there where specifically to visit?  I'm a solo male in my 50's and have looked at Croatia, Moldova, and Albania and can't make up my mind on what would provide the best experiences.  I have 2 - 3 weeks to spend, so perhaps it's possible to spend ~ 1 week in each place, traveling by train/bus/whatever.
Note - when I say experiences, I mean the normal kind.  My purpose isn't to hook up with a woman but to see/do new things. 
Thanks in advance for any ideas.  Airfare from the US is expensive so I want to do things as correctly as I can.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Considering traveling to the Baltics in May
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 01:02:08 PM »
What 'experiences' do you seek?
I've not made it to Albania, but I spend a lot of time in Estonia, spent some time in Moldova (albeit quite a few years ago, and was in Croatia just last year. All are great places to visit. Doing a Grand Tour, spending a week in each place will probably just be a waste of time, if experiences are what you seek as opposed to ticking boxes on a bucket list.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Dutchmanaz

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 08:09:39 AM »
Thanks Andrew - and fair question.
Experiences - just to soak up the culture so to speak. See and begin to understand the area and people. Hopefully make a few friends.
I'm still figuring out what and where I want to see and go.  Initial thoughts are flying into Zagreb and winging it from there, working my way down the coastline, stopping to see whatever interests me, and if time permits, visit either Albania or Montenegro. I think trying to do all 3 is likely a waste of time as you've mentioned.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 11:07:13 AM »
Each of the three nations has a different predominate religion. This flavours the respective regions. I know Croatian quite well and there is little to find fault with. While many might disagree I would not consider Moldova a Baltic nation, but it is akin to debating what is black.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 05:56:20 AM »
The Baltics are Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

I expect you meant the Balkans.

Croatia was quite nice when I was there. If you stay in the south, you can do a day trip to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Montenegro and Croatia are pretty much the same.

For me, Moldova might be more interesting, and Steve here does tours there. The actual site he mentions there is >here<.

Albania I haven't been to, and while some holiday there, 5% of the men have escaped to the UK so it can't be so fabulous. But as an experience, why not?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Dutchmanaz

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 04:25:31 PM »
Yes...the Balkans  :sick0012: And I meant Montenegro...Multi tasking doesn't work for me. Apologies.

Criminy.  Thanks all.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Considering traveling to the Balkans in May
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 05:45:21 PM »
Yes...the Balkans  :sick0012: And I meant Montenegro...Multi tasking doesn't work for me. Apologies.

Criminy.  Thanks all.

No worries, when you find a woman you will learn about multi tasking, humility and mind reading.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration