The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: new year, new ride  (Read 382 times)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
new year, new ride
« on: January 17, 2024, 06:30:37 PM »
I've decided to keep my '05 Chevy Suburban (best vehicle I've ever owned), but I was ready for a new truck and decided to order a '24 GMC Sierra HD 3500 crew cab. I'm really happy with this one. It's got the 6.6L 8-cylinder Duramax turbo diesel and runs dualies in the rear. She goes like a scared rabbit and she'll pull a 30,000 pound trailer on the bed hitch (5th wheel). My Suburban could pull the Boston Whaler but not the Grady-White... now I can tow both. I even ordered the pistol vault they can tuck under the center console. And it was STILL less expensive than a new Rover!

Any exciting vehicle acquisitions in the ranks of RUA?

"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: new year, new ride
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 02:58:04 AM »
I've decided to keep my '05 Chevy Suburban (best vehicle I've ever owned), but I was ready for a new truck and decided to order a '24 GMC Sierra HD 3500 crew cab. I'm really happy with this one. It's got the 6.6L 8-cylinder Duramax turbo diesel and runs dualies in the rear. She goes like a scared rabbit and she'll pull a 30,000 pound trailer on the bed hitch (5th wheel). My Suburban could pull the Boston Whaler but not the Grady-White... now I can tow both. I even ordered the pistol vault they can tuck under the center console. And it was STILL less expensive than a new Rover!

Cool truck, I don't need something that big though, still driving the same old bimmer.
(my son requested this picture, he wanted to be on top of a parking garage with the car, looking lovely)

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 05:56:30 AM »

Any exciting vehicle acquisitions in the ranks of RUA?

(Attachment Link)

Nice ride!

I've always liked Chevrolet and GMC trucks, especially the last few years.

The maintenance and insurance will also be less than a Land Rover.  :coffeeread:

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 07:55:09 AM »
Nice truck Lordy......great for you guys but I can only imagine the cost of running that over here  :chuckle:

I picked up a new truck for my business in December, the new VW Amarok. Really nice bit of kit and doesn't feel like a truck at all. It's just out and I managed to grab a cancellation rather than wait the 12 months for it.

3 litre V6 diesel, super comfy and the best bit....it eats into my corporation tax bill and reduces the profit. Classed as a commercial vehicle so a nice tax break on the other side too.  :8)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 07:16:02 AM »
I'm still in my 4.4TDV8 L405 Range Rover I bought about a year ago.

I did however recently upgrade Wifey's Range Rover Evoque to a 3.0 V6 Velar. And if anyone is interested, there is a pre-handover video here where you can look around it.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 10:32:42 AM »
I'm still in my 4.4TDV8 L405 Range Rover I bought about a year ago.

I did however recently upgrade Wifey's Range Rover Evoque to a 3.0 V6 Velar. And if anyone is interested, there is a pre-handover video here where you can look around it.

That Velar is truly beautiful in a sleek way! I like the electric tow bar.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 11:48:43 AM »

Yes, I've not seen an electric one before. Not that we'll ever use it I expect, I don't have a trailer anymore.

I think they're a pretty cool car for a girl. I'd not have chosen flick champagne paint and black wheels myself, but she likes it which is all that matters. I think the interior is cool though, nicer than mine.

a '24 GMC Sierra HD 3500 crew cab. I'm really happy with this one. It's got the 6.6L 8-cylinder Duramax turbo diesel and runs dualies in the rear.

That's a beast! Is diesel getting more popular on that side of the pond? I imported this Dodge Ram years ago and that felt quite large and was a diesel too. Yours is brilliant for the US countryside I expect. I doubt that would work too well on our narrow roads. People buy those here and convert them in to spec lift recovery trucks.

I found a photo of mine.

If anyone here has a Range Rover of any age, send me a DM, I have a product line of something you'll want.  :nod:

I picked up a new truck for my business in December, the new VW Amarok.

They are becoming really popular. And you'd expect reliable being a VW.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 12:30:08 PM »
Nice truck Lordy......great for you guys but I can only imagine the cost of running that over here  :chuckle:

I picked up a new truck for my business in December, the new VW Amarok. Really nice bit of kit and doesn't feel like a truck at all. It's just out and I managed to grab a cancellation rather than wait the 12 months for it.

3 litre V6 diesel, super comfy and the best bit....it eats into my corporation tax bill and reduces the profit. Classed as a commercial vehicle so a nice tax break on the other side too.  :8)

Very good looking little truck. At first glance I thought it was a Honda truck. Congratulations!

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 11:50:44 PM »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I really like the appearance of this truck! Never seen one quite like it before, although I'm sure it's more popular over there than here in the States (and being new and all). I'd be willing to bet that it'll be a faithful machine for you.

I'm not wanting to ruin the earth or whatever, but I had looked into electric trucks and the performance I needed just wasn't there. Maybe in the future, although I just saw where Ford announced they're cutting the new electric truck that they just introduced a couple of years ago (guess it wasn't selling well).
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 12:04:28 AM »

Yes, I've not seen an electric one before. Not that we'll ever use it I expect, I don't have a trailer anymore.

I think they're a pretty cool car for a girl. I'd not have chosen flick champagne paint and black wheels myself, but she likes it which is all that matters. I think the interior is cool though, nicer than mine.

a '24 GMC Sierra HD 3500 crew cab. I'm really happy with this one. It's got the 6.6L 8-cylinder Duramax turbo diesel and runs dualies in the rear.

That's a beast! Is diesel getting more popular on that side of the pond? I imported this Dodge Ram years ago and that felt quite large and was a diesel too. Yours is brilliant for the US countryside I expect. I doubt that would work too well on our narrow roads. People buy those here and convert them in to spec lift recovery trucks.

I found a photo of mine.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

If anyone here has a Range Rover of any age, send me a DM, I have a product line of something you'll want.  :nod:

I don't know statistically speaking, but from my own observations, if anything I would guess that diesels are becoming less popular due to the high cost of diesel fuel. This truck gets about 12 miles per gallon, although I'm sure that'll decrease when towing a boat.

Range Rovers are such cool vehicles. Sadly, my mom got rid of hers and now drives a Yukon. But her rover was the best vehicle I've ever driven, in terms of performance and handling (I've never really driven a sports car, but it felt damn near close to one). The constant maintenance wore thin on her, especially because the closest certified garage was an hour's drive away. She never fulfilled her dream of having an 'autobiography' or whatever that one was, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she doubles back around to one in the future. I can't remember the trailer weight rating on her rover, but I do recall being solidly impressed when it pulled the Correct Craft up to Canada (5,000 lbs +).

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 06:54:12 AM »
Still driving the Porsche Cayenne I bought via their CPO program 8 years ago.  Runs well and has 113K miles on it.  Only had one major issue with it, and that was covered by the CPO program.  Runs like a dream.

Got a great deal on it - I was going to replace my Benz with another Benz but couldn't find one I liked.  I very seldom take advice from my 15 year old self, but I had wanted a Porsche back then and so I looked around and found one at a great price in Upper Saddle River NJ.  They sell 911s to Wall Street types and were trying to unload it to buy more 911s.  And yes, the dealership is named "Jack Daniels" - heh.

B/B

ila_rendered
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 10:37:51 AM »
Still driving the Porsche Cayenne I bought via their CPO program 8 years ago.  Runs well and has 113K miles on it.  Only had one major issue with it, and that was covered by the CPO program.  Runs like a dream.

Got a great deal on it - I was going to replace my Benz with another Benz but couldn't find one I liked.  I very seldom take advice from my 15 year old self, but I had wanted a Porsche back then and so I looked around and found one at a great price in Upper Saddle River NJ.  They sell 911s to Wall Street types and were trying to unload it to buy more 911s.  And yes, the dealership is named "Jack Daniels" - heh.

B/B

Does CPO stand for Certified Porsche ? as in their slightly used cars?

I almost bought a used 2005 Cayenne S a few years ago but there was something sketchy about the guy selling it. Turned out it was okay and I missed out.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2024, 12:07:26 PM »
Does CPO stand for Certified Porsche ? as in their slightly used cars?

Porsche Approved (CPO) is given to pre-owned Porsche vehicles that meet the Porsche brand quality standards. Several advantages come with certification. Find your Porsche Approved (CPO) Vehicle and enjoy the extra quality and piece of mind. Find Certified Pre-Owned.

Source: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/certified-preowned
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2024, 01:51:59 PM »
Very good looking little truck. At first glance I thought it was a Honda truck. Congratulations!

Little truck.....you winding me up  :chuckle: It's a big truck for the UK but not a patch on what you boys have over the pond.

Honda mate....thats 2 cheap shots!!!  ;D

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 01:55:09 PM »

B/B

(Attachment Link)

Nice wheels, you got another car or is it good in the winter too?

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 02:02:16 PM »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I really like the appearance of this truck! Never seen one quite like it before, although I'm sure it's more popular over there than here in the States (and being new and all). I'd be willing to bet that it'll be a faithful machine for you.

I'm not wanting to ruin the earth or whatever, but I had looked into electric trucks and the performance I needed just wasn't there. Maybe in the future, although I just saw where Ford announced they're cutting the new electric truck that they just introduced a couple of years ago (guess it wasn't selling well).

It's basically a 'commercial vehicle' that ticks the box for the old tax conundrum. £60k grunter that drives like an SUV. Electric wouldn't work for me because I need to get to A to B without messing about but it's one luxurious truck so I'm happy.  :thumbsup:

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 05:04:56 PM »
Nice wheels, you got another car or is it good in the winter too?

It was fine in the winter.  AWD, and I am an experienced winter driver.  I moved to Florida 3 years ago, so would not be an issue now.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Registration