The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moldova The Hidden Gem In Eastern Europe  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Moldova The Hidden Gem In Eastern Europe
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2024, 11:33:11 AM »
You've already acknowledged that what you get over in the UK isn't so great, and you posited the idea that maybe whoever is controlling what is sold overseas is only selling the lesser quality bottles of wine, and keeping the better wine for the US market. I see that as taking advantage of less knowledgeable people who want to buy something based on the reputation back in the US.

I think there's a few things in play here, when it comes to US wines in the UK/European market. I've got a little bit of inside knowledge because one of my good friends runs his own chain of wine shops in Scotland. I invested in it a few years back to hold a very minor stake, for kicks more than anything else.

There are some very good US wines available to buy in the UK but they are quite expensive, sitting alongside established European wines of similar quality. You can always buy cheaper but again, you generally get better wine for the same money elsewhere. People don't really see it as good value and there is of course bit of snobbery, well it is wine after all. We've had South American, South African, Australian and New Zealand wines over here for a long time but I'm not convinced the average person in the UK really goes out of their way to buy Californian for example. This is more of a marketing or a legacy thing rather than anything personal against US wines.

I understand that most established vineyards in Europe are bought and paid for having been in business for hundreds of years and the newer ones often received grants to get up and running. This cuts over heads and they can sell better quality wines at cheaper prices. A lot of the new world stuff and in particular Californian, much of its 1980's start ups that still needs paid for, which often means higher ticket prices.

I personally go for Spanish, French or Italian but I do love South African wines having spent time in Western Cape and they're fantastic value too. I just don't see much US stuff being offered in restaurants over here and the sections set aside to American wines in quality wine shops, is always smaller than other regions.

It's just such a competitive market and wine snobbery at its finest. My friend told me years ago how the Chinese have the perfect climates in certain ares to produce stunning wines, grown from established re-planted European vines but nobody would pay the same price for a Chinese wine as they would say a great French.....because the story and history simply isn't as rich or good.

So I think distance, perception, history and value for money makes the US market a little uncompetitive over here but......you guys do make some brilliant wines.

:biggrin:

Well said as always Rosco, thank you.  tiphat

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2024, 06:34:13 AM »

"most of it is overpriced".

Which is why I clearly wrote above, that you guys "don't know which California wines are the best quality and best value". (combined).
I am not going to tell you those ones either, you can move to CA for a few years and do your own research for all I care.

I also wrote "there is always a market for something unusual and different from the norm, even if it does cost a bit more".

Having repeated what I wrote in plain English for those with reading comprehension difficulties, you should continue to buy what you prefer. It's your personal taste after all.

Chances are that most will not differ from their normal choices, because people are creatures of habit. Those who want to spread their wings a bit, could always buy a few magazines and read them and then try something new.

Snip.....Suffice to say I have a good grasp on the price, worth and quality of a relatively large selection of wines and most of the California wines included.....Snip.

Past your bedtime Grumpy?

Sure you have a good grasp....which is why you claimed above that "most of it is overpriced"  re California wines. Perhaps you meant to say it's overpriced for you.

Now out of the kindness of my heart, I will suggest you purchase a well known value CA chardonnay -- Kendal Jackson Vinter Reserve. Usually less than $15. Hopefully it won't break your piggy bank.

It actually depends where you are at the moment you are purchasing California wine. No doubt it's going to be rather expensive when in Europe or especially in Russia where you won't be able to get hardly any of it at a fair price.

As far as your multiple attempts to insult -- I merely fed your words back to you and compared them to what I had actually written, much to your annoyance. When you behave like a crusty old fool and publish tosh and somebody shoves it back at you, take a good look in the mirror.

I suggest you stop hitting the bourbon, go to bed and try to be more polite tomorrow. Good luck with that.  :chuckle:

Well aren't you just the cutest lil'thing. BTW it's Kendall Jackson. If you're going to recommend a wine you should at least know how to spell it. Kendall Jackson is an "OK" wine which falls well below "decent". When it was just a small privately owned winery it was a decent wine at a good price. Now it is neither. It's ho'hum and overpriced.

So, when can we expect your first shipping container of California Boones Farm to arrive in Russia? I'm sure with your marketing and supply expertise you'll be rolling in the clover in no time, yes?

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2024, 07:52:48 AM »

"most of it is overpriced".

Which is why I clearly wrote above, that you guys "don't know which California wines are the best quality and best value". (combined).
I am not going to tell you those ones either, you can move to CA for a few years and do your own research for all I care.

I also wrote "there is always a market for something unusual and different from the norm, even if it does cost a bit more".

Having repeated what I wrote in plain English for those with reading comprehension difficulties, you should continue to buy what you prefer. It's your personal taste after all.

Chances are that most will not differ from their normal choices, because people are creatures of habit. Those who want to spread their wings a bit, could always buy a few magazines and read them and then try something new.

Snip.....Suffice to say I have a good grasp on the price, worth and quality of a relatively large selection of wines and most of the California wines included.....Snip.

Past your bedtime Grumpy?

Sure you have a good grasp....which is why you claimed above that "most of it is overpriced"  re California wines. Perhaps you meant to say it's overpriced for you.

Now out of the kindness of my heart, I will suggest you purchase a well known value CA chardonnay -- Kendal Jackson Vinter Reserve. Usually less than $15. Hopefully it won't break your piggy bank.

It actually depends where you are at the moment you are purchasing California wine. No doubt it's going to be rather expensive when in Europe or especially in Russia where you won't be able to get hardly any of it at a fair price.

As far as your multiple attempts to insult -- I merely fed your words back to you and compared them to what I had actually written, much to your annoyance. When you behave like a crusty old fool and publish tosh and somebody shoves it back at you, take a good look in the mirror.

I suggest you stop hitting the bourbon, go to bed and try to be more polite tomorrow. Good luck with that.  :chuckle:

Well aren't you just the cutest lil'thing. BTW it's Kendall Jackson. If you're going to recommend a wine you should at least know how to spell it. Kendall Jackson is an "OK" wine which falls well below "decent". When it was just a small privately owned winery it was a decent wine at a good price. Now it is neither. It's ho'hum and overpriced.

So, when can we expect your first shipping container of California Boones Farm to arrive in Russia? I'm sure with your marketing and supply expertise you'll be rolling in the clover in no time, yes?

You're failing bro.

I clearly wrote Kendall Jackson. Do you always post before putting on your reading glasses?

And I mentioned it as a value wine, since you seem to be claiming that all or most California wine is "overpriced". I quickly found two ratings which indicate it's better than "ho"hum and overpriced".

Here's one from someone who actually has a published site on the net:

https://www.kenswineguide.com/wine_review/Kendall-Jackson-2021-Vintners-Reserve-Chardonnay

"Ken's Wine Rating: Very Good (89.5)

Review date: September 27, 2023

Wine Review: This golden yellow colored Chardonnay from Kendall Jackson is very good. It opens with an oak and pineapple bouquet with hints of pear and banana. On the palate, this wine is medium plus bodied with medium plus acidity. The mouthfeel is balanced, round, slightly viscous, and rich. The flavor profile is similar to the nose. It features grilled pineapple and oak flavors with notes of mango and tangerine. We also detected a hint of white peach. The finish is off-dry and nicely prolonged. This wine will be a crowd pleaser with readers who are fans of this style. I would pair it with an apple and brie stuffed chicken. Enjoy – Ken"

And the other one:

https://www.nataliemaclean.com/wine-reviews/kendall-jackson-vintners-reserve-chardonnay-2017/316425

Ken is giving a rating of 89 and Natalie scores it 88. They are rating different years of the same wine. Of course the year of a bottle of wine will nearly always affect the score as growing conditions etc change from year to year.

I didn't say it was my favorite wine, or one I would normally recommend. It was just one I mentioned for you since you claimed in your original post above "most of it is overpriced".

Your latest attempt to insult by mentioning Boones Farm is becoming tedious.

As Rosco mentions above snobbery is part of the wine business. Regardless of what experts say, wine is very personal.

Neither one of us is in the business, I was merely keeping a thread going with some questions for Steve and some opinions. 

You can either choose to contribute in a positive way or you can continue to attempt to mock and ridicule. I am sure you are capable of more positive posts in this or any thread.

Have a better day from here on out -- the choice is yours.  :coffeeread:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2024, 12:57:04 AM »
The best way to check out Moldovan wine is to go on a "Wine tour".  https://moldova-tours.com/tour/cricova-wine-tour

It's a little like a bride tour but much less hassle and you know the price quoted is exactly what you pay, unlike bride tours that usually have lots of add ons.. lol
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2024, 09:29:33 AM »
I suspect someone could make some cash importing some quality California wine, if they had the right contacts.

You would have to find who to bribe and how to keep your business. Moldova
has a level of corruption that most in the US would find difficult wading through.
Selling a good product at a competitive price is one thing, but not having it immediately taken from you is another. There are a million things involved
with the import/export business that inexperienced business men need to
educate themselves about.

I imported windows from Italy into the USA. While I did not fear getting
robbed. I hired an experienced end to end company to shepard the products
through customs, tariffs, paperwork and then to my jobsites in a container.

There are many things I learned, that I didn't know previously. Doing all this
in reverse into Italy would have been far more difficult.   

Udachi!

Bill 
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls