The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moldova The Hidden Gem In Eastern Europe  (Read 1222 times)

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Moldova The Hidden Gem In Eastern Europe
« on: November 27, 2023, 01:37:26 AM »
Moldova is a small landlocked country in Eastern Europe, known for its picturesque landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and a history that spans centuries. Despite its small size, Moldova has become increasingly popular among travelers looking for something off the beaten track, offering authentic experiences and hidden gems waiting to be discovered.

Moldova's history is marked by a diverse and complex mix of influences from neighboring regions, including Romania, Ukraine, Russia, and the Ottoman Empire. This diversity has contributed to a unique cultural tapestry that can be seen in its architecture, traditions, and cuisine. Throughout its history, Moldova has faced numerous challenges, including foreign invasions, political instability, and economic hardships. However, the resilience and strong sense of national identity of its people have enabled the country to overcome these obstacles and emerge as a fascinating destination for travelers seeking something different.

In recent years, Moldova has gained attention from adventure seekers, history enthusiasts, and wine connoisseurs alike. The country's unspoiled countryside, with its rolling hills, vineyards, and charming villages, provides a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of more popular tourist destinations. Additionally, Moldova has emerged as a burgeoning wine region, with its wineries producing high-quality wines that have started to gain recognition on the international stage. The wine tourism industry has been steadily growing, attracting visitors who are eager to sample the local vintages and experience the winemaking traditions firsthand. Guided walking tours in Moldova
 are highly recommended.

Furthermore, Moldova's rich cultural heritage is evident in its numerous historical sites, monasteries, and traditional crafts. The country's capital, Chisinau, offers a mix of Soviet-era architecture alongside modern developments, providing a glimpse into its complex past and its aspirations for the future. As a result, Chisinau has become a focal point for travelers who are curious to explore a city that is slowly but steadily evolving into a vibrant hub of art, culture, and gastronomy.

Top 5 Attractions in Chisinau:

1. Stephen the Great Central Park: Located in the heart of the city, this expansive park is a popular gathering place for locals and visitors alike. It features winding paths, lush greenery, and a lake, providing a peaceful oasis in the midst of the urban landscape.

2. National Museum of History of Moldova: Housed in a grand neoclassical building, this museum offers a comprehensive overview of Moldova's history, from ancient times to the present day. Exhibits include archaeological artifacts, traditional costumes, and historical documents, providing insight into the country's rich heritage.

3. Cricova Winery: Just a short drive from Chisinau, the Cricova Winery is a must-visit for wine enthusiasts. It is known for its extensive underground wine cellars, which stretch for kilometers and feature guided tours, tastings, and the opportunity to explore the fascinating history of winemaking in Moldova.

4. Pushkin Museum: Dedicated to the renowned Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, this museum showcases a collection of his personal belongings, manuscripts, and memorabilia. It provides a unique opportunity to learn about the poet's connections to Moldova and his lasting impact on literature.

5. Stefan cel Mare Park: This picturesque park is named after the renowned medieval ruler Stephen the Great and offers a serene retreat from the city. Visitors can stroll along its paths, admire the statues and monuments, and relax in the tranquil surroundings. It is highly recommended to take one of the many private tours in Moldova to really appreciate this area.

Transnistria.

No visit can be complete without a trip to the breakaway Republic of Transnistria.

Transnistria is a small, self-declared republic located in Eastern Europe, bordering Ukraine to the north and east, and Moldova to the west. Despite being internationally unrecognized, Transnistria functions as a de facto independent state with its own government, currency, and military.

The region has a complex and tumultuous history, with its roots dating back to the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. Following the dissolution of the USSR, a conflict erupted between Moldova and Transnistria, leading to a brief war in 1992. The conflict resulted in a ceasefire, but a lasting resolution has yet to be achieved, leaving Transnistria in a state of political limbo.

Transnistria is characterized by its strong ties to Russia, with Russian being the dominant language and a significant Russian military presence in the region. The area has a predominantly Slavic population, with a mix of ethnic Ukrainians, Russians, and Moldovans. The people of Transnistria hold Russian culture and traditions in high regard, further solidifying its connection to its powerful neighbor.

Economically, Transnistria faces numerous challenges, including limited access to international markets due to its unrecognized status, outdated industrial infrastructure, and a reliance on Russian support. However, the region is known for its industrial production, particularly in the fields of steel, electricity, and textiles.

Despite its isolation and lack of international recognition, Transnistria has developed a distinct identity and a deep sense of resilience. Visitors to the region will encounter a unique blend of Soviet nostalgia, traditional culture, and a strong sense of self-determination. Guided day tours to Transnistria are one of the best ways to see Transnistria.

In conclusion, Moldova's appeal lies in its authenticity, diverse attractions, and the warm hospitality of its people. As travelers continue to seek out unique and immersive experiences, Moldova is poised to become an increasingly popular destination for those looking to explore a country with a wealth of history, culture, and natural beauty. With its off-the-beaten-track charm, Moldova invites visitors to discover its hidden treasures and create lasting memories in a lesser-known European gem.
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Moldova The Hidden Gem In Eastern Europe
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 04:07:27 PM »
Hey Steveboy, does your company do tours in Moldova also? Asking for a friend. Seriously though I wonder if the wine there is any good. I remember when I was in Crimea they were claiming how great it was and I didn't think it was above average. That's after I lived in Germany for a few years and also visited France a few times. Those two countries, in my opinion, have the best wine for the buck in the World. Except for a few wines in California of course, where I also lived more than a few years.  :coffeeread:

How would you compare Chisinau to St. Petersburg?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 07:25:51 AM »
If you want to read an interesting report find Andrew’s tale on Moldova. It is over 10 years old.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 01:56:28 AM »
Hey Steveboy, does your company do tours in Moldova also? Asking for a friend. Seriously though I wonder if the wine there is any good. I remember when I was in Crimea they were claiming how great it was and I didn't think it was above average. That's after I lived in Germany for a few years and also visited France a few times. Those two countries, in my opinion, have the best wine for the buck in the World. Except for a few wines in California of course, where I also lived more than a few years.  :coffeeread:

Were fairly busy in Moldova during the summer doing tours, Transnistria is always the busiest we had a few Brits visit last year.

Chisinau is very different from St Petersburg much smaller but much cheaper. I lived in Bender in Transnistria for a few years, we used to take a taxi to Chisinau every Saturday night for a night out on the town.

Were hoping to get back this summer.

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 06:32:03 AM »

We're fairly busy in Moldova during the summer doing tours, Transnistria is always the busiest we had a few Brits visit last year.

Chisinau is very different from St Petersburg much smaller but much cheaper. I lived in Bender in Transnistria for a few years, we used to take a taxi to Chisinau every Saturday night for a night out on the town.

We're hoping to get back this summer.

Thanks Steve. What do you think of the quality of the wine there?

Does it compare to Germany or France? How about compared to a very good bottle of California wine?

I suspect someone could make some cash importing some quality California wine, if they had the right contacts.

How about the beer? Would you compare it favorably to Dutch, German or Italian beer?

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 05:38:33 AM »
I suspect someone could make some cash importing some quality California wine, if they had the right contacts.

With France, Italy and Germany on the doorstep, I'm not sure there would be much demand for US wine.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 07:10:45 AM »

With France, Italy and Germany on the doorstep, I'm not sure there would be much demand for US wine.

I'm more familiar with Siberia but, I can state with certainty Moldovian and Georgian wine is plentiful, cheap (for the most part) and holds it's own with any other international wines. The quality is there. California wines are highly over priced compared to every other bottle on the shelf. I found quality French wine (which I do personally love) cheaper than at home but still over priced compared to the quality of the much cheaper wines from Moldova and Georgia. In that region of the world it makes good sense to stick with the wines from Moldova and Georgia in both price and quality

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 09:45:11 AM »

I'm more familiar with Siberia but, I can state with certainty Moldovian and Georgian wine is plentiful, cheap (for the most part) and holds it's own with any other international wines. The quality is there. California wines are highly over priced compared to every other bottle on the shelf. I found quality French wine (which I do personally love) cheaper than at home but still over priced compared to the quality of the much cheaper wines from Moldova and Georgia. In that region of the world it makes good sense to stick with the wines from Moldova and Georgia in both price and quality

I would suggest that you and Manny don't know which California wines are the best quality and best value.

Furthermore there is always a market for something unusual and different from the norm, even if it does cost a bit more.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 11:02:56 AM »

I would suggest that you and Manny don't know which California wines are the best quality and best value.

Furthermore there is always a market for something unusual and different from the norm, even if it does cost a bit more.

As long as people are willing to pay 16.000 euro/bottle for french vintage and not californian, thats all I need to know
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 11:41:48 AM »

Be careful when one compares wines. Keep them comparable. A Rolls Royce and a Ford are both cars with an engine, four wheels and a steering wheel, but . . .

While very good quality, wine from Austria is very pricey. For value I would go with whites from Croatia and reds from Georgia. I have not tasted enough Moldovan wine to have an opinion. The wine from Ukraine was/is of poor quality.

Was not aware wine could be cultivated in Siberia, share your impressions.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 01:36:48 PM »

Manny can speak for himself but, as for me you would be wrong. California wine is no well kept secret. Much of it is very good, most of it is overpriced

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 01:45:03 PM »

Be careful when one compares wines. Keep them comparable. A Rolls Royce and a Ford are both cars with an engine, four wheels and a steering wheel, but . . .

While very good quality, wine from Austria is very pricey. For value I would go with whites from Croatia and reds from Georgia. I have not tasted enough Moldovan wine to have an opinion. The wine from Ukraine was/is of poor quality.

Was not aware wine could be cultivated in Siberia, share your impressions.

Wine can be cultivated anywhere one has grapes or other fruits. The only wine made in Siberia I am personally familiar with is that made by various Babushkas in the area. I was referring to what was for sale in Siberia

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 02:43:23 PM »

Manny can speak for himself but, as for me you would be wrong. California wine is no well kept secret. Much of it is very good, most of it is overpriced

"most of it is overpriced".

Which is why I clearly wrote above, that you guys "don't know which California wines are the best quality and best value". (combined).

I am not going to tell you those ones either, you can move to CA for a few years and do your own research for all I care.

I also wrote "there is always a market for something unusual and different from the norm, even if it does cost a bit more".

Having repeated what I wrote in plain English for those with reading comprehension difficulties, you should continue to buy what you prefer. It's your personal taste after all.

Chances are that most will not differ from their normal choices, because people are creatures of habit. Those who want to spread their wings a bit, could always buy a few magazines and read them and then try something new.

AvDhB wrote:

"The wine from Ukraine was/is of poor quality".

To be diplomatic, I would say IMO what I tried wasn't impressive, it was mediocre at best.

Who knows, maybe it has improved since Russia took over? I don't know and have no intentions of traveling back there.

For the money spent, I'd rather go to Hawaii or half-a-dozen other places. I will try some Croatian white wine and maybe a Georgian red someday; probably a white wine from Croatia first.  :coffeeread:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 05:37:05 PM »

That's an excellent point. Also, I can probably purchase California, Oregon and Washington wines for a lot less than anyone can in Europe.

I think it would be a small niche market, especially in a place like Moldova. It would be more popular at a bar to sell a good California chardonnay by the glass as opposed to trying to sell bottles of it at a wine store.

Mark mentioned a bottle of wine for 16 euros ($17.14 as of today). I can think of several different bottles of CA wine I can buy over here for close to that price or less.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2024, 06:05:50 PM »

Which is why I clearly wrote above, that you guys "don't know which California wines are the best quality and best value". (combined).
I am not going to tell you those ones either, you can move to CA for a few years and do your own research for all I care.

I also wrote "there is always a market for something unusual and different from the norm, even if it does cost a bit more".

Having repeated what I wrote in plain English for those with reading comprehension difficulties, you should continue to buy what you prefer. It's your personal taste after all.

Chances are that most will not differ from their normal choices, because people are creatures of habit. Those who want to spread their wings a bit, could always buy a few magazines and read them and then try something new.

Just curious, do you try real hard to be a d!ck or does that just come naturally? Listen genius, I have likely forgotten more about California wine than you'll ever know. Why I know or how I know is none of your business. Suffice to say I have a good grasp on the price, worth and quality of a relatively large selection of wines and most of the California wines included. You do not corner the market on the knowledge of wine or much of anything else that I can tell from your incoherent musings, here.

You don't have the ability to understand what I wrote. You believe yourself a hammer and every post a nail.  You are deluded. Ask someone to help you to understand, break it down to your infantile level. Surely you have one friend that can do that?

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2024, 06:44:44 PM »

Snip.....Suffice to say I have a good grasp on the price, worth and quality of a relatively large selection of wines and most of the California wines included.....Snip.

Past your bedtime Grumpy?

Sure you have a good grasp....which is why you claimed above that "most of it is overpriced"  re California wines. Perhaps you meant to say it's overpriced for you.

Now out of the kindness of my heart, I will suggest you purchase a well known value CA chardonnay -- Kendal Jackson Vinter Reserve. Usually less than $15. Hopefully it won't break your piggy bank.

It actually depends where you are at the moment you are purchasing California wine. No doubt it's going to be rather expensive when in Europe or especially in Russia where you won't be able to get hardly any of it at a fair price.

As far as your multiple attempts to insult -- I merely fed your words back to you and compared them to what I had actually written, much to your annoyance. When you behave like a crusty old fool and publish tosh and somebody shoves it back at you, take a good look in the mirror.

I suggest you stop hitting the bourbon, go to bed and try to be more polite tomorrow. Good luck with that.  :chuckle:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2024, 07:57:00 PM »
In the under $30.00 price range is La Crema Chardonnay, sometimes a bit oaky. I was served some Californian Riesling that was good. Never had a decent rosé from California, confident it exists. As a base line I consider Tavel the best. Have enjoyed rosés made with Malbec grapes, was around $12,50 a bottle from Mendoza.

There is/was a moderator named Chris who knows wine quite well.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2024, 08:16:16 PM »
In the under $30.00 price range is La Crema Chardonnay, sometimes a bit oaky. I was served some Californian Riesling that was good. Never had a decent rosé from California, confident it exists. As a base line I consider Tavel the best. Have enjoyed rosés made with Malbec grapes, was around $12,50 a bottle from Mendoza.

There is/was a moderator named Chris who knows wine quite well.

Funny you should mention La Crema. IMO a very good chardonnay which is usually less than $20.

Thx for the recommendation about Tavel, even though TBH I never liked ros'e. Maybe it is different? Sounds like it.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 01:07:12 AM »

Mark mentioned a bottle of wine for 16 euros ($17.14 as of today). I can think of several different bottles of CA wine I can buy over here for close to that price or less.
Uh no, I was talking of bottles of 16 thousand euro's a pop.

https://www.ad.nl/buitenland/nederlander-gepakt-voor-diefstal-exclusieve-wijnen-1-7-miljoen-euro-uit-kelder-spaans-restaurant~aedba5f6/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2024, 04:56:13 AM »

https://www.ad.nl/buitenland/nederlander-gepakt-voor-diefstal-exclusieve-wijnen-1-7-miljoen-euro-uit-kelder-spaans-restaurant~aedba5f6/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

:ROFL:   :ROFL:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2024, 06:06:11 AM »

I agree.

I've also noted in the past that the US wine we can buy here is quite unremarkable. But in the US itself, in my own experience, it was much better. I assumed they kept the better stuff for the domestic market and exported the forgettable.

I think the market would be nonexistent. When in France for example, try to find a wine that isn't French. Good luck with that. So as with Moldova, if they make decent stuff already, why would you bring something else halfway around the world?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2024, 07:57:48 AM »

I agree.

I've also noted in the past that the US wine we can buy here is quite unremarkable. But in the US itself, in my own experience, it was much better. I assumed they kept the better stuff for the domestic market and exported the forgettable.

I think the market would be nonexistent. When in France for example, try to find a wine that isn't French. Good luck with that. So as with Moldova, if they make decent stuff already, why would you bring something else halfway around the world?

I consider your question to be like asking why climb a mountain?

You've already acknowledged that what you get over in the UK isn't so great, and you posited the idea that maybe whoever is controlling what is sold overseas is only selling the lesser quality bottles of wine, and keeping the better wine for the US market. I see that as taking advantage of less knowledgeable people who want to buy something based on the reputation back in the US.

Now to give a simple answer to your question it could be you've met a woman over there, been there a few times and intend to go back and propose, so you take her something special which she hasn't tried before.

Or maybe a good businessman who owns a bar there, wants to attract more western tourists as well as a more affluent home clientele, decides to carry something which nobody else does.  :coffeeread:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2024, 09:26:16 AM »

Ah so, I thought that extra 0 was a mistake.  :chuckle:

For any member living in California who likes French wine with mad money to spend, this look interesting.

100 Jeb Dunnuck

"Chateau Pavie is a prestigious winery in the Bordeaux region of France, located on the plateau southeast of Saint-Emilion village. It produces red wines from Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, and has been classified as a Premier Grand Cru Classé (A) since 2012. The history of Chateau Pavie dates back to Roman times, when peaches and vines were grown on the hillside. The current owner, Gerard Perse, has invested heavily in modernizing the estate and making concentrated, intense wines with the help of consultant Michel Rolland."

https://www.costco.com/le-fabuleux-bordeaux-collection%2c-600-points-total%2c-6-bottle-pack%2c-750-ml-ca-only-pre-sale.product.4000197119.html

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2024, 10:21:19 AM »

Ah so, I thought that extra 0 was a mistake.  :chuckle:

For any member living in California who likes French wine with mad money to spend, this look interesting.

100 Jeb Dunnuck

"Chateau Pavie is a prestigious winery in the Bordeaux region of France, located on the plateau southeast of Saint-Emilion village. It produces red wines from Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, and has been classified as a Premier Grand Cru Classé (A) since 2012. The history of Chateau Pavie dates back to Roman times, when peaches and vines were grown on the hillside. The current owner, Gerard Perse, has invested heavily in modernizing the estate and making concentrated, intense wines with the help of consultant Michel Rolland."

https://www.costco.com/le-fabuleux-bordeaux-collection%2c-600-points-total%2c-6-bottle-pack%2c-750-ml-ca-only-pre-sale.product.4000197119.html

https://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,9979.msg552115.html#new

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2024, 10:47:40 AM »
You've already acknowledged that what you get over in the UK isn't so great, and you posited the idea that maybe whoever is controlling what is sold overseas is only selling the lesser quality bottles of wine, and keeping the better wine for the US market. I see that as taking advantage of less knowledgeable people who want to buy something based on the reputation back in the US.

I think there's a few things in play here, when it comes to US wines in the UK/European market. I've got a little bit of inside knowledge because one of my good friends runs his own chain of wine shops in Scotland. I invested in it a few years back to hold a very minor stake, for kicks more than anything else.

There are some very good US wines available to buy in the UK but they are quite expensive, sitting alongside established European wines of similar quality. You can always buy cheaper but again, you generally get better wine for the same money elsewhere. People don't really see it as good value and there is of course bit of snobbery, well it is wine after all. We've had South American, South African, Australian and New Zealand wines over here for a long time but I'm not convinced the average person in the UK really goes out of their way to buy Californian for example. This is more of a marketing or a legacy thing rather than anything personal against US wines.

I understand that most established vineyards in Europe are bought and paid for having been in business for hundreds of years and the newer ones often received grants to get up and running. This cuts over heads and they can sell better quality wines at cheaper prices. A lot of the new world stuff and in particular Californian, much of its 1980's start ups that still needs paid for, which often means higher ticket prices.

I personally go for Spanish, French or Italian but I do love South African wines having spent time in Western Cape and they're fantastic value too. I just don't see much US stuff being offered in restaurants over here and the sections set aside to American wines in quality wine shops, is always smaller than other regions.

It's just such a competitive market and wine snobbery at its finest. My friend told me years ago how the Chinese have the perfect climates in certain ares to produce stunning wines, grown from established re-planted European vines but nobody would pay the same price for a Chinese wine as they would say a great French.....because the story and history simply isn't as rich or good.

So I think distance, perception, history and value for money makes the US market a little uncompetitive over here but......you guys do make some brilliant wines.

:biggrin: 

Registration