The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Video and Reel Creation & Editing Advice Please  (Read 266 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Video and Reel Creation & Editing Advice Please
« on: August 11, 2023, 02:07:09 PM »
As there are a few tech and other generally knowledgeable and clever chaps here, I want some advice, please. I despise learning new software, but I am probably going to have to choose something new here.

On my home office computer, I have stuck with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (I have later versions at work). The two single reasons for this are simple: 1) Windows Movie Maker (WMM) and 2) If it aint broken, don't fix it.

With a huge effort, from backups, I finally managed to get the Windows 7 on my new computer a couple of years ago and displace the pre-installed system (I hate the two-day tedium of installing everything again having forgotten all your passwords). But this one is now in the autumn of its days (slow, memory errors, freezing, 'no space' messages, etc). And things like Chrome no longer update on Windows 7. So I may need to update when it's new computer time soon. I don't want to end up like Wiz, still clunking by on Windows 98.  :chuckle:

I gather on later Windows versions, WMM has been retired. But I like WMM and as it is idiot-proof, I know how to use it rather well by now. I get good results with it. In an ideal world, I'd like to find a polished WMM fork that works on later Windows versions. Is there such a thing?

I got a copy of Vegas Pro, but when I looked at it, it looked like the Starship Enterprise dashboard compared to WMM. More like something professional video editors I have hired use. My needs are not terribly technical (stitch bits together, edit a tad, titles, end cards, replace the sound in sections), but I need to be able to use it easily. 

But I also have another need: Reels. Or rather short portrait rectangle videos made of several photos or videos set to music. Think Instagram reels/stories, YouTube shorts and TikTok. Ideally, something I can use on all 3. My daughter is pretty good at knocking up TikToks, and somehow they even seem to evade the copyright music ban when exported to other platforms (something in the coding?), but if you export one, it has the TikTok logo on there which I don't want.

So I probably need a simple app to be able to do those on a phone. But it's like not being able to see the wood for the trees. There are so many apps for this type of thing, rather than download a dozen to find they are all crap, or I can't wrap my head around them, or they revert to $50 a month after a free trial period, I need a recommendation for a good one that isn't expensive and is idiot proof.

So, an idiot-proof alternative to WMM and a reel creator app, please. Any ideas?

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Video and Reel Creation & Editing Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 07:59:10 PM »
Maybe just keep WMM? ChatGPT says this is how to use WMM on a proper pc:
Windows Movie Maker was a video editing software developed by Microsoft, and it was included in Windows ME, XP, Vista, and Windows 7. However, Microsoft discontinued Windows Movie Maker, and it is no longer available in the newer versions of Windows, such as Windows 8, 8.1, and Windows 10.

If you still wish to use it on a modern Windows PC, here's a way you can do so:

1. **Find a Legitimate Copy**: If you have access to an older PC with Windows Movie Maker installed, you could copy the necessary files from there. Make sure you only obtain the software from a legal source, as downloading from unofficial websites may expose your computer to malware.

2. **Compatibility Mode**: If you face any compatibility issues, try running the application in compatibility mode for an older Windows version (like Windows 7). You can do this by right-clicking the executable file, selecting 'Properties', and then going to the 'Compatibility' tab.

3. **Consider Alternatives**: As Windows Movie Maker is an outdated piece of software, it might not work flawlessly on modern systems. You might want to consider using a newer video editing tool that's designed to run on your version of Windows. There are many free and paid alternatives available, such as DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks, HitFilm Express, and even Microsoft's built-in Video Editor in Windows 10 and newer.

Please note that running outdated software can lead to security risks and compatibility issues. Always exercise caution and ensure that you're using legitimate and safe sources if you choose to go this route.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 08:07:26 PM »
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online BC

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 02:12:07 AM »
Pick up a Mac mini M2 with 16gb for iMovie and maybe use Clips on your iPhone.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 06:23:06 AM »
Perhaps one of these tickle your interest.

https://www.cyberlink.com/blog/the-top-video-editors/127/best-movie-maker-alternative

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Pick up a Mac mini M2 with 16gb for iMovie and maybe use Clips on your iPhone.

I need it to run on a Windows desktop with a big screen really, and then I'd have to learn Apple computers.

But I'll download Clips, and take a look at that, thanks. I just watched a couple of reviews and it seems you can't lift music from Spotify to it unless you have music stored on your phone, you are stuck with their built-in music choices. But that might do the job, thanks.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online BC

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 06:52:28 AM »

I need it to run on a Windows desktop with a big screen really, and then I'd have to learn Apple computers.

Switching is very easy to do a couple days getting used to it and you're all set.  I switched from Windows to Mac around 2008/2009.  Super happy, never looked back.  You can use the Mac mini with any decent monitor setup.  Since you have an iPhone, you're halfway there.

Well worth looking into, especially if you are thinking about replacing an old Windows machine.  Nary a problem and even the old 2009 model still works fine for occasional browsing, simple stuff and guests etc.  No fuss about paying for upgrading the operating system every few years and 'just works' without fuss with drivers etc. Super stable.