The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: USa/Nato trolling gorbachev  (Read 445 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
USa/Nato trolling gorbachev
« on: August 03, 2023, 07:07:28 AM »
Markje,

Here is some information that provides decent context and refers to specific dates and periods of time.  Hope it helps you.

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book/russia-programs/2017-12-12/nato-expansion-what-gorbachev-heard-western-leaders-early

So lets see: Russia/Nato membership happened in :
Quote from: gwu.edu

The first concrete assurances by Western leaders on NATO began on January 31, 1990, when West German Foreign Minister Hans-Dietrich Genscher opened the bidding with a major public speech at Tutzing, in Bavaria, on German unification.

Russian state happened in:
1990-1991 ,

So my initial hypothesis is entirely correct, those discussions were part of the founding principles of Russia by its -then- future president Gorbachov.

It would have been nicer BC, if you had written: Yes mark, I completely agree with you, here's an additional info to back it up, instead of your reply which insinuates I was wrong somehow.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online BC

Re: USa/Nato trolling gorbachev
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 08:53:12 AM »
Markje,

Here is some information that provides decent context and refers to specific dates and periods of time.  Hope it helps you.

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book/russia-programs/2017-12-12/nato-expansion-what-gorbachev-heard-western-leaders-early

So lets see: Russia/Nato membership happened in :
Quote from: gwu.edu

The first concrete assurances by Western leaders on NATO began on January 31, 1990, when West German Foreign Minister Hans-Dietrich Genscher opened the bidding with a major public speech at Tutzing, in Bavaria, on German unification.

Russian state happened in:
1990-1991 ,

So my initial hypothesis is entirely correct, those discussions were part of the founding principles of Russia by its -then- future president Gorbachov.

It would have been nicer BC, if you had written: Yes mark, I completely agree with you, here's an additional info to back it up, instead of your reply which insinuates I was wrong somehow.

The Alma-Ata Protocols removed any doubt that the Soviet Union no longer existed "as a subject of international law and geopolitical reality" (in the words of the Belovezha Accords' preamble), since 11 of the 12 remaining republics had declared that the Soviet Union had dissolved. The signatories preemptively accepted the resignation of Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, who told CBS News that he would resign when he saw the CIS was a reality.[3] Gorbachev resigned on 25 December, and the Soviet of the Republics of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR voted the Soviet Union out of existence on 26 December. (1991)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma-Ata_Protocol

Read the interview with Gorbachev on this topic.  It does not support your hypothesis at all.

https://www.rbth.com/international/2014/10/16/mikhail_gorbachev_i_am_against_all_walls_40673.html

I have no idea what you mean by: "Russia by its -then- future president Gorbachov."  He was the last president of USSR but not the first president of the Russian Federation.  Makes no difference really, just trying to figure out this bit of wacky logic you are using.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 10:13:34 AM »
blablabla....

Russia in its current stateform did not exist, and the USSR ceased to exist. Care to guess what came in between? Hint: It had Gorbachev as its first and only president. Yeltsin became the first president of Russia in its current form.

OO===[][]===OO

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 12:31:58 PM »
blablabla....

Russia in its current stateform did not exist, and the USSR ceased to exist. Care to guess what came in between? Hint: It had Gorbachev as its first and only president. Yeltsin became the first president of Russia in its current form.

There was an entity called the RSFSR, as I recall it was neither fish or fowl. The entire region was in deep disarray. M. Gorbachev was the de-facto leader and survived a quasi coup attempt. The alphabet soup country ceased to exist on December 25/26.

Must admit I can not help but be amused that V. Putin complains about the transfer of power and governments control in Київ.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online BC

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 09:25:57 PM »
blablabla....

Do feel free to substantiate your assertion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 09:23:35 AM »

No need, I will just be wasting my time.
OO===[][]===OO

Online Texan77

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 09:33:24 AM »

Yea but down deep the country is run by former KGB people and the system is slowing returning to what it always was.

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online BC

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »

Well, at least that's more honest than just hoping the topic will go away when you're at a loss for words or facts.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 11:54:01 AM »

Well, at least that's more honest than just hoping the topic will go away when you're at a loss for words or facts.

The first: Yes, the last, nope most certainly not. Your trolling prevents me from answering, its like throwing gold in the ocean.
OO===[][]===OO

Online BC

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 12:02:55 PM »

The first: Yes, the last, nope most certainly not. Your trolling prevents me from answering, its like throwing gold in the ocean.

A request to substantiate or a question is not trolling. I take it your assertion of fact is untenable, or it's only your opinion.  Either is fine.

Online BC

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 12:04:28 PM »
Double post, can delete this.