The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Flight Routes from Europe to Russia Post Sanctions  (Read 8333 times)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
Flight Routes from Europe to Russia Post Sanctions
« on: April 10, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
Quote from: Manny
What route are you taking? Via Turkey? Been looking at routes for wifey to visit the folks.
My only way west is through Turkey. Well, Dubai is available, but more expensive and much longer.

You might want to look into bus rides from the Baltics to Moscow, but I doubt you want to put her through that.

Kinda of waiting (hoping) China opens flights in and out of Russia, but no luck as of yet.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Flight Routes from Europe to Russia Post Sanctions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 09:12:53 AM »
The trouble with the Turkey route is the journey time. Manchester > Istanbul > Moscow > Samara is quite a schlep.

I was thinking about a plane to Tallinn, then the express train to St Pete (if its running). And the a short hop to Samara.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 09:24:05 AM »
The trouble with the Turkey route is the journey time. Manchester > Istanbul > Moscow > Samara is quite a schlep.

I was thinking about a plane to Tallinn, then the express train to St Pete (if its running). And the a short hop to Samara.
I know they closed the Helsinki-St. Pitersburg route.

My friend who lives in France has been exploring all options and if I hear any news I'll be sure to pass it on as I've been planning a trip to America and have entertained the idea of travelling through one of the Baltic countries.

The last time I talked to him he was looking at Riga-Moscow by bus. If anyone knows the best routes it's him.

I agree about the travel time as going through Istanbul adds 8 more hours to my journey west than before.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 09:57:55 AM »
I might have found a two plane way. Easyjet and others fly Manchester > Dalaman (Turkey), and Azur Air (no, me neither) flies Dalaman to Samara.

This page showed me all the flights to and from KUF, quite handy. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 04:16:48 PM »

I have a few friends who have done that.. I think they used Ryan air to Tallinn and it was just 30/40 quid flight.. then the bus to Russia.
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 03:54:12 AM »
There are still buses running atwixt Tallinn and Saint Petersburg. Dunno what restrictions there are on who can travel and cross the border in each direction, but they must be lax enough that Ecolines can manage a round trip each day.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 09:40:45 AM »
There are still buses running atwixt Tallinn and Saint Petersburg. Dunno what restrictions there are on who can travel and cross the border in each direction, but they must be lax enough that Ecolines can manage a round trip each day.

I think if you have a Russian passport the restrictions just finished.. If you have not and  got family in Russia and just come on a private or business visa as far as im aware you can still cross the border.. but you may have to argue a little and will need for example a marriage certificate or something..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 10:38:28 AM »
By the way, it's a 6 to 8 hour drive between the two cities. The buses are comfortable with WiFi and refreshments. It's a long drive but it isn't uncomfortable.

One caveat, and I don't know the degree to which it is true but...

Avoid taking the cheapest buses. They are not much less comfy but when I used this route, the cheaper buses tended to be much fuller and stuffed with people doing private import/export. So the luggage compartment was always very full and overflowed into the passenger compartment. Sometimes that wasn't very comfortable on a long trip.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 12:39:39 PM »
The fast train would be much better, are they running?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 01:00:14 PM »

Train was about 8 hours to Saint Petersburg. But is not running now as far as I can see.

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »

Train was about 8 hours to Saint Petersburg. But is not running now as far as I can see.

I thought there was a fast train nowadays?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 05:11:17 PM »
By the way, it's a 6 to 8 hour drive between the two cities. The buses are comfortable with WiFi and refreshments. It's a long drive but it isn't uncomfortable.

One caveat, and I don't know the degree to which it is true but...

Avoid taking the cheapest buses. They are not much less comfy but when I used this route, the cheaper buses tended to be much fuller and stuffed with people doing private import/export. So the luggage compartment was always very full and overflowed into the passenger compartment. Sometimes that wasn't very comfortable on a long trip.

Bus is 6 hours I have done that one many times.. Eco lines is dead cheap .. Lux express is better .. If you want less of a journey you can fly direct to Helsinki and take either a ,mini van that runs nearly every hour I think about 1000 Roubles and about 4 hours.. Lux express/Eco lines  bus or just a taxi straight from Helsinki to St Petersburg .. There is a Express train Helsinki to St Petersburg but I think its only for Russian passport holders or green card and Im pretty sure they stopped running it now..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 11:18:21 PM »

I thought there was a fast train nowadays?

Ain't no train at all.

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 09:46:02 AM »
There is a Express train Helsinki to St Petersburg but I think its only for Russian passport holders or green card and Im pretty sure they stopped running it now..

That'd be nice if it is running, or if it comes back. That would suit better.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 11:57:21 AM »
There is a Express train Helsinki to St Petersburg but I think its only for Russian passport holders or green card and Im pretty sure they stopped running it now..

That'd be nice if it is running, or if it comes back. That would suit better.

I am sure that those routes will reopen at some time at the choice of the Finns, who ended the service and the Russians who ran, as I recall, half the trains. Same in Estonia - but I am not sure about the rolling stock there.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
I know that I am late on reading this post but today a Bellarusian friend told me that flight to Riga and then train to Minsk and flight to Moskow.......

I have to check it for sure and let you know.

Helsinski train to S. Peters...not working.....spoke on the phone the other day.

Let me know and I will too...if I discover anything comfy.
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline sparky114

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 02:33:26 AM »
Wiz

We have been using Turkish Fly to Istanbul then to Vnukovo, But newTurkish flight is soon to open to Sochi just cant book yet, maybe end of July
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Wiz

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 01:55:44 PM »
Wiz

We have been using Turkish Fly to Istanbul then to Vnukovo, But newTurkish flight is soon to open to Sochi just cant book yet, maybe end of July

Sparky thanks but I have been looking for all the possible ways.....for my wife to go to UFA. Unfortunately the times are not convinient......... all of them arrive late for a connection flight to UFA.....or to another airport........Turkish Airline fly to Vnukovo where Air Sebia arive at Seremetovo at 24.4o Moscow Time...and Aeroflot departs to Ufa at 24.50 ........so she has to wait till 9.am next day.

I don't think she likes busses or trains. Vilnius to Misk 6 Hours bus....then 3 flights to Moscow connecting same day with flights to Ufa.

So now I am stuck. and maybe take a flight to greece and have a good time there....
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
Wiz

Latest info for going to visit Rodina....

Turkish Airlines side is unaccessible at the moment but
I managed to find something with AirSerbia.....but....?

Air Serbia Depart from LHR via Belgrade to Moscow SVO

Mon 18 July Departs LHR 13.30 - Stopover  Belgrade  Arr MOSCOW 22.10   
                                  Total time....6 hrs 40 Minutes

SVO - UFA   Same Day Dep at 24.50 - Arr UFA 04.50 am   TIME 2.10 m

RETURN 22 AGUST  UFA 20.55  ARRIVE  SVO 20.55

DEP  SVO 23 AUGUST at 04.30 -Stopover/ Belgrade -  Arrive HEATHROW  12.30   
Total time....10 hrs 10 Minutes.

And here comes the surprise for visiting Rodina.

AIR SERBIA total price  GBP 1,O26.26

AEROFLOT return for SVO/UFA  9496 Rubles.

Wish me luck to win the Euro million tonight!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 02:43:43 PM »
There is a Facebook group for anyone interested in crossing the Russian/Estonian border .. mostly in Russian but lots of info.. should you be thinking about entering or leaving via that route..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1723396727706790

Offline mitspilot

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 04:16:40 PM »
There is a Facebook group for anyone interested in crossing the Russian/Estonian border .. mostly in Russian but lots of info.. should you be thinking about entering or leaving via that route..

I know this question will expose the fact that I am 100% ignorant in these matters, but what does one accomplish by crossing the Russia/Estonia border? Right now, my girlfriend can travel to any non-visa country that she can get transportation (primarily by air) to. If she travels to Estonia does she have other travel options that she doesn't have starting from Moscow?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 04:25:23 PM »

I know this question will expose the fact that I am 100% ignorant in these matters, but what does one accomplish by crossing the Russia/Estonia border? Right now, my girlfriend can travel to any non-visa country that she can get transportation (primarily by air) to. If she travels to Estonia does she have other travel options that she doesn't have starting from Moscow?

Its just general information nothing more really .. simple as that.. there is always some one looking to enter/exit Russia from that border.. if they are then maybe there is some useful information there..especially considering the last few years have been ****** up with a pandemic and now this..

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 02:04:48 AM »

Estonia is within the EU, so she can travel from there to France, Spain, Netherlands, whatever.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline mitspilot

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 08:29:43 AM »

Estonia is within the EU, so she can travel from there to France, Spain, Netherlands, whatever.
IF she has a visa. But if she has a visa she doesn't need to go to the trouble of trying to cross into Estonia. That's why I was asking, if I was missing something. Thanks!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2022, 05:03:44 AM »
Around the same time Sweden and Finland were lobbying to enter NATO, Finland and Estonia (quietly :-X) opened their respective borders to Russians.

Finland has long been the easiest Schengen visa to get for a Russian and it certainly opens up Europe to any Russian who wants to go.

So far, only private car/driver, driving yourself and bus transit are available.

All covid restrictions have been lifted as well.

Registration