The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russians Turn to BBC for News  (Read 601 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Russians Turn to BBC for News
« on: March 02, 2022, 01:33:52 PM »

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Russians Turn to BBC for News
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 02:50:37 PM »
You believe any old propaganda. You'll not find much truth on Yahoo or MSN.  (:)

But assuming it was true, isn't it odd that the BBC can be viewed freely in Russia but RT is now banned in most of Europe? Some places don't want people to be able to see or read an alternative opinion, and it ain't Russia.

Think about that.

Perhaps if it was true, they know the BBC is anti-British.  :chuckle:

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline yankee

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 03:16:16 PM »
RT has been removed from my internet but I still have access to The Moscow Times
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 04:45:07 PM »
You believe any old propaganda. You'll not find much truth on Yahoo or MSN.  (:)

But assuming it was true, isn't it odd that the BBC can be viewed freely in Russia but RT is now banned in most of Europe? Some places don't want people to be able to see or read an alternative opinion, and it ain't Russia.

Think about that.

Perhaps if it was true, they know the BBC is anti-British.  :chuckle:

I am all for Europeans being able to read RT and any other Russian sources and making up their own minds.

I believe I made it crystal clear during the Canadian Trucker fiasco that I did not care for Trudeau engaging in censorship.  :coffeeread:

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »
RT has been removed from my internet but I still have access to The Moscow Times

You need a VPN, I use https://nordvpn.com/

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 01:39:16 AM »

Because the moscow times is owned and operated by the western world, not russia
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 02:25:19 AM »
Apparently,

Pervyii kanal has not been blocked here in Europe (yet). My wife now watches it because her usual news sources have been blocked as propaganda outlets by western powers that be.

OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 04:19:05 AM »
I expect a VPN is child’s play for you though to circumvent it.

Whoever thought we’d be having discussions about how to access media from the west? I have those discussions in China.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 04:46:12 AM »
I expect a VPN is child’s play for you though to circumvent it.

Whoever thought we’d be having discussions about how to access media from the west? I have those discussions in China.

Normally a VPN would work, but this service is 'out' because of a huge DDoS attack coming from the Anonymous hacking group.

DutchGov has warned not to join those because you can be found guilty of computer crimes and those come with a 10-year-jailtime sentance. Since we are officially not at war with Russia, it is illegal to attack  its infrastructure, plus you could also be found guilty of attempting to provoke a war between NL and RU.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Wiz

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 05:03:54 AM »

Because the moscow times is owned and operated by the western world, not russia

May I suggest you look to see where it is really published!

Not sure but I remember they moved to a Carabean island........
Moscow office is probably for colecting info from the Russian channels and papers.

I do not bother to read it as I can't stand propaganda, only look the titles.
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 03:57:19 AM »
Russia is closing down, in Russia, a load of false news outlets.

From now on, given Russian media policy since the start of the conflict, this means that the best, most objective reporting (in relative, not absolute terms) will come from Russian sources.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 04:56:43 AM »
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline yankee

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 06:59:51 AM »

Manny, I installed the VPN and now I can not access RUA from my computer (using my wife's right now).  I get an error message that says " An Error Has Occurred!

Sorry Yankee, you are banned from using this forum!  This ban is not set to expire.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 07:52:42 AM »

Manny, I installed the VPN and now I can not access RUA from my computer (using my wife's right now).  I get an error message that says " An Error Has Occurred!

Sorry Yankee, you are banned from using this forum!  This ban is not set to expire.

I understand that Nord VPN is experiencing difficulties/may be already banned in Russia.
I have no proof that this is correct, sorry...
My Express VPN has also ceased to function..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 07:54:46 AM »

About time  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Sorry Yankee, just couldn't resist... :hidechair:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 07:58:30 AM »
this is some of what is happening in Russia.
Most people don't even know there is a war.
can't hide pictures forever.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjJp9XNsqz2AhXyTN8KHQAhAPQQvOMEKAB6BAgkEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fworld-europe-60600487&usg=AOvVaw0V1pPXUbkZvoRJc0aQm7dl

NS1, can you not understand English?
The article does not say that the woman's mother does not know there is a war.
The article gives no support for the contention that civilian homes are being deliberately targeted.
There are no images to support the contention that there is no war, or even that the woman in question is living in an apartment that has been shelled.

As a sanity check for yourself. Ask yourself the question, do you really think that people in Russia are so heavily controlled that it would be possible to keep a war secret from a majority of the population? Really?

Illiteracy is a terrible handicap. Please get some remedial reading lessons. In the UK you can find adult literacy classes run by many public libraries. It is probably similar where you live.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline yankee

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 08:30:09 AM »

About time  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Sorry Yankee, just couldn't resist... :hidechair:

a little humor never hurt!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 09:09:54 AM »
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjJp9XNsqz2AhXyTN8KHQAhAPQQvOMEKAB6BAgkEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fworld-europe-60600487&usg=AOvVaw0V1pPXUbkZvoRJc0aQm7dl

The article gives no support for the contention that civilian homes are being deliberately targeted.
There are no images to support the contention that there is no war, or even that the woman in question is living in an apartment that has been shelled.

As a sanity check for yourself. Ask yourself the question, do you really think that people in Russia are so heavily controlled that it would be possible to keep a war secret from a majority of the population? Really?

Illiteracy is a terrible handicap. Please get some remedial reading lessons. In the UK you can find adult literacy classes run by many public libraries. It is probably similar where you live.

Andrew, You so simple its not even funny, put Down the bottle and pills, it will help;
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 09:31:51 AM »

It's so secretive that they've put together a state explanation aimed at kids, justifying the war. lol

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-broadcast-lesson-school-children-ukraine-war-invasion-1684436

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2022, 09:37:20 AM »

Go here: https://ipchicken.com/ when signed on to the VPN, and then DM me the IP number you see.

Registration