The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Still living in Odessa, My new scooter Chopper build  (Read 1828 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Still living in Odessa, My new scooter Chopper build
« on: February 02, 2022, 10:55:41 AM »
I'm still living in Odessa, although I'm in Moldova for a few days. I decided a scooter is a better project than a car, so I've been building this.

d6 roller
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Still living in Odessa, My new scooter Chopper build
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 11:06:19 AM »
There seems to be something wrong with the photos, I cannot get any of them to load up.  :biggrin:

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 09:21:48 PM »
There seems to be something wrong with the photos, I cannot get any of them to load up.  :biggrin:

{Snarky crap removed}

Just for your curiosity and pleasure!

His files are huge and the system does not allow to use them as the owner will be charged...... lots of money!

:ROFL:

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 09:47:56 PM »
His files are huge and the system does not allow to use them as the owner will be charged...... lots of money!

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 10:02:32 PM »
Great photos! Wiz if you're the guy who fixed them, thank you. Or if JAD fixed them, thank you.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 10:26:33 PM »
COOOOOL!

Sort of looks like café racer meets a Vespa. How many CC & what sort of exhaust?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 11:13:21 PM »
Bogey project! I'm digging the double rear wheel and vintage instrument cluster too! A resourceful craftsman will improvise a workshop with what tools and space he has at his disposal and I see you've availed yourself of both.

Just completed the starboard wing of my CH-801-SD sport utility airplane and weighed it in tonight. 120 pounds with both inboard and outboard fuel tanks installed, but without slats or flaperons yet (which'll add another 24 lbs to the finished wing). When complete she'll boast 1400 pounds of disposable payload and an empty weight of only 1200 pounds.

I wish more of you guys would share your projects.

Cars, houses, planes, boats, photography, writing or music... whatever! Beats the hell out of arguing all the time.

ila_rendered
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Wiz

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 11:27:02 PM »
Great photos! Wiz if you're the guy who fixed them, thank you. Or if JAD fixed them, thank you.

I know the problem on RUA from a long time.....so when ever I postphotos I always reduce the file size e.g instead of say....over 2000 Megabites,,,,, down to less than 100 kilobites.....for very fast loading.....and here are the last 3..

... but not Russian woman !!! He maybe heard that Moldova is very poor and cheap country!so he went with his dog.......to observe his chanses!

:laugh:

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 04:59:22 AM »
Hey JAD,
Loving the new project  :thumbsup: that's real cool mate.
You sure have a fertile imagination, and ability to work things out and create them. Mad skills.
I shouldn't be surprised, having watched you work on the ute all summer while I sat, drank and chatted. Sorry I wasn't much help, lol.
Have you still got the Alfa? I've lost track
Be keen to hear about your trip to Moldova when you get a chance.
Cheers R

Offline justadude

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »
COOOOOL!

Sort of looks like café racer meets a Vespa. How many CC & what sort of exhaust?

Thanks Arie. It's only 125cc. I think I'll just modify the stock exhaust for now, to clear the extra wheel. Try to polish it up a little
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline justadude

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 09:54:43 AM »
Bogey project! I'm digging the double rear wheel and vintage instrument cluster too! A resourceful craftsman will improvise a workshop with what tools and space he has at his disposal and I see you've availed yourself of both.

Just completed the starboard wing of my CH-801-SD sport utility airplane and weighed it in tonight. 120 pounds with both inboard and outboard fuel tanks installed, but without slats or flaperons yet (which'll add another 24 lbs to the finished wing). When complete she'll boast 1400 pounds of disposable payload and an empty weight of only 1200 pounds.

Cars, houses, planes, boats, photography, writing or music... whatever! Beats the hell out of arguing all the time.

(Attachment Link)

OMG I'm a mere mortal! That is f*** cool. More deets on the plane please!! Lycoming engine? Tail dragger? Is it the first plane you've built? What country are you in?

Offline justadude

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »
Hey JAD,
Loving the new project  :thumbsup: that's real cool mate.
You sure have a fertile imagination, and ability to work things out and create them. Mad skills.
I shouldn't be surprised, having watched you work on the ute all summer while I sat, drank and chatted. Sorry I wasn't much help, lol.
Have you still got the Alfa? I've lost track
Be keen to hear about your trip to Moldova when you get a chance.
Cheers R

Thanks R! You were a big help to me in more ways than that! I hope to see you again this coming summer.

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 10:53:34 AM »
Is that double rear wheel standard or something you've done, JAD?

Pretty impressive you're building yourself a dentist killer, LotD. That must take some skill.

My next project looks to be refurbishing an industrial unit, not as interesting as planes or bikes.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline justadude

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 11:43:11 AM »

Pretty impressive you're building yourself a dentist killer, LotD. That must take some skill.

My next project looks to be refurbishing an industrial unit, not as interesting as planes or bikes.

What's an industrial unit? The dual rear wheels is my idea. I wanted to put on a single wide rear wheel, but I got frustrated trying to find the parts I needed, given the language barrier and all. So I went this route

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 12:43:43 PM »
COOOOOL!

Thanks Arie. It's only 125cc. I think I'll just modify the stock exhaust for now, to clear the extra wheel. Try to polish it up a little

The ‘bike’ in the spring will be a two wheeled chick magnet.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2022, 01:04:13 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Plane! OMG!!! Now he is working on creating airplane!!!
I am reading this weekend Jules Verne “Five Weeks in a Balloon” and had the same thoughts about real deal project vs empty arguing.

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »
What's an industrial unit?

Something like this.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 07:58:04 PM »

What's an industrial unit? The dual rear wheels is my idea. I wanted to put on a single wide rear wheel, but I got frustrated trying to find the parts I needed, given the language barrier and all. So I went this route

It will certainly cause some attention...
Will it be legalized for use on the road, or???
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline BillyB

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 08:27:28 PM »

Cool project Justadude but with only 125cc you're not going to be able to burn any rubber. That engine is around the size of a 5hp for a push mower.

Lord of the Dance, make sure you balance the plane right. I did some RC airplanes years ago and my first plane was tail heavy resulting in a crash.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 11:49:22 PM »
OMG I'm a mere mortal! That is f*** cool. More deets on the plane please!! Lycoming engine? Tail dragger? Is it the first plane you've built? What country are you in?

It's a Zenair Ltd. CH-801-SD STOL bush plane. Tricycle gear (riding on tundra tires) 4-seat high wing. Kind of ugly thing but it'll take off in about 50 feet (got leading edge slats as well as vortex generators). Hoping to install the Lycoming IO-540 (and a constant-speed prop) for about 310 HP but haven't gotten there yet. Yeah, first fixed wing project, but I got lots of help. I'm based in Franklin, PA at KFKL (Venango Regional). Are you interested in aviation JAD?
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 11:58:00 PM »

I'm learning pretty quick, but it's a challenge for sure. Took a two-week assisted build course with the manufacturer up in Ontario, Canada last year and they helped to get me started. An ex-military mechanic who owns a plane on my field has been an incredible help to me as well. But whether or not it's a Lord of the Dance killer or not remains to be seen.  :laugh:

Guessing there's profit involved in refurbishing the industrial unit though. Usually (but not always) fun and profit fluctuate inversely. Then the profit pays for the fun!

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 12:01:05 AM »
Plane! OMG!!! Now he is working on creating airplane!!!
I am reading this weekend Jules Verne “Five Weeks in a Balloon” and had the same thoughts about real deal project vs empty arguing.

One of my favorite books! Hope you're enjoying it Orchid.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 12:06:44 AM »

Cool project Justadude but with only 125cc you're not going to be able to burn any rubber. That engine is around the size of a 5hp for a push mower.

Lord of the Dance, make sure you balance the plane right. I did some RC airplanes years ago and my first plane was tail heavy resulting in a crash.

For sure, an aft C-of-G will have devastating consequences! I might even end up a tad nose heavy due to the weight of the IO-540 engine and constant-speed prop... have to see how it plays out. If it's too heavy I'll go for the turbocharged IO-360.

JAD - please keep us updated on your motorbike project - hoping for a video when you start that puppy up!

Offline justadude

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 01:00:20 AM »
COOOOOL!

😅😅😅

The ‘bike’ in the spring will be a two wheeled chick magnet.

Offline justadude

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 01:04:08 AM »

It will certainly cause some attention...
Will it be legalized for use on the road, or???
I think not entirely. I have a registration "coupon". It used to be legal for 49cc bikes. People got them to match their VIN for bigger ones. It's kind of dubious but might be enough to keep me out of the Gulag. I might try to register it legitimately. But I'm lacking documents. It will probably be much more difficult after the modifications