The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Are U.S. Tourist Visas for Russian Citizens Available?  (Read 1457 times)

Offline mitspilot

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Are U.S. Tourist Visas for Russian Citizens Available?
« on: July 26, 2021, 07:13:18 AM »
I have a lady friend who lives in Moscow and wants to visit me in the U.S. Are tourist visas available at this time? If they are, how difficult would it be for her to get one?

Thanks,

Longtime lurker, first time poster

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Are U.S. Tourist Visas for Russian Citizens Available?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 08:02:47 AM »
Welcome to RUA. It would be great to read your story of interaction with the Russian woman.

If I am not mistaken the tourist section of the US Embassy closed in Moscow during the Trump period. Not sure what the current status is. It should be noted there is another web site that is better informed than we are. A moderator can post that if he/she so wishes.

Good Luck!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 09:57:52 AM »

Welcome to the forum mitspilot. Currently for a Russian national to get a visa of any kind, they must travel to a nearby country where America has an open consulate that can issue visas. Strained relations with Russia and a pandemic makes it difficult but it can be done. Just got to go through more hoops. Keep in mind, it is difficult for people from the FSU to get tourist visas so even if she could get one, most likely she'll be denied. Does she have kids, lots of money in the bank, and valuable assets?
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 10:27:06 AM »
Welcome to RUA. It would be great to read your story of interaction with the Russian woman.

If I am not mistaken the tourist section of the US Embassy closed in Moscow during the Trump period. Not sure what the current status is. It should be noted there is another web site that is better informed than we are. A moderator can post that if he/she so wishes.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I may document my interaction in a separate thread. Most of what I know, I learned here.

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »

Welcome to the forum mitspilot. Currently for a Russian national to get a visa of any kind, they must travel to a nearby country where America has an open consulate that can issue visas. Strained relations with Russia and a pandemic makes it difficult but it can be done. Just got to go through more hoops. Keep in mind, it is difficult for people from the FSU to get tourist visas so even if she could get one, most likely she'll be denied. Does she have kids, lots of money in the bank, and valuable assets?

Thanks for your reply. I didn't follow you when you said, "even if she could get one, most likely she'll be denied". If she got a visa through a separate country's US embassy, are you saying that she might not be able to use it?

UPDATE: I forgot to answer your questions, she has kids, but not lots of money in the bank or valuable assets, as far as I know. She did pay her own way when we met in Athens Greece last week.

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 10:37:36 AM »
Wow, I can't believe I've been reading this site since 2009! I knew I'd been on here awhile, but it doesn't feel like it's been almost 12 years.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:29:20 AM »
Under Trump it was pretty hard to get a tourist visa out of Ukraine. It seem the most successful visa are those going to a common tourist place like Miami, Los Vegas. or other tourist spot. It seems best if she is not meeting anyone, going to a popular tourist destination, has the financial means to take a USA vacation, owns property in Russia and has enough family still in Russia that she is likely to return. It can be a little easier if she is traveling with a group touring the USA. During Trump even families who have been visiting the USA ever few years were being denied. The Embassy In Kiev is scheduled to open up in December again and start interviewing applicants and as far as I know no one knows how hard it is going to be then. I do not really know what is happening in Russia so I know this may not be much help.

As far as I know if you get a visa in third country will work  if the country's embassy will accept the application and also she will have to travel there for an interview. Since Covid-19 we are not accepting tourist from many countries. I do not know if we are accepting Tourist from Russia or not. This would mean if we are not accepting tourist from Russia she would have to stay in the country where she got the visa until she left to come to the USA. 

The other way to get a visa is the intent to marry visa. It takes about a year and cost over two thousand. She can visit you for three months after which you have to marry her or send her back. Usually this requires that you have proof of an on going relationship where you have physically met numerous times.

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
I didn't follow you when you said, "even if she could get one, most likely she'll be denied". If she got a visa through a separate country's US embassy, are you saying that she might not be able to use it?

Currently people from certain countries can't get tourist visas for a variety of reasons, one being current outbreaks within certain countries. If tourist visas are currently available to Russian citizens, most will not get one because most don't meet the requirements of the visa. Call or email the US Consulate in Kiev and ask if they are doing interviews for Russians applying for a tourist visa. If they aren't, ask if any other nearby Consulate is doing them.

It may be better to meet in a country where it's easy for both of you to travel to.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »
The other way to get a visa is the intent to marry visa. It takes about a year and cost over two thousand. She can visit you for three months after which you have to marry her or send her back. Usually this requires that you have proof of an on going relationship where you have physically met numerous times.

Wow, I guess things have changed.  Been married almost 22 years and when I did it I think it cost me about $350.00 to do it myself.  Has the cost for filing a K-1 visa gone up that much?

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
Under Trump it was pretty hard to get a tourist visa out of Ukraine. It seem the most successful visa are those going to a common tourist place like Miami, Los Vegas. or other tourist spot. It seems best if she is not meeting anyone, going to a popular tourist destination, has the financial means to take a USA vacation, owns property in Russia and has enough family still in Russia that she is likely to return. It can be a little easier if she is traveling with a group touring the USA. During Trump even families who have been visiting the USA ever few years were being denied. The Embassy In Kiev is scheduled to open up in December again and start interviewing applicants and as far as I know no one knows how hard it is going to be then. I do not really know what is happening in Russia so I know this may not be much help.

As far as I know if you get a visa in third country will work  if the country's embassy will accept the application and also she will have to travel there for an interview. Since Covid-19 we are not accepting tourist from many countries. I do not know if we are accepting Tourist from Russia or not. This would mean if we are not accepting tourist from Russia she would have to stay in the country where she got the visa until she left to come to the USA. 

Thank you sir.

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 03:25:14 PM »
I didn't follow you when you said, "even if she could get one, most likely she'll be denied". If she got a visa through a separate country's US embassy, are you saying that she might not be able to use it?

Currently people from certain countries can't get tourist visas for a variety of reasons, one being current outbreaks within certain countries. If tourist visas are currently available to Russian citizens, most will not get one because most don't meet the requirements of the visa. Call or email the US Consulate in Kiev and ask if they are doing interviews for Russians applying for a tourist visa. If they aren't, ask if any other nearby Consulate is doing them.

It may be better to meet in a country where it's easy for both of you to travel to.

Thanks for your info. We met in Athens last week and it went very well. I've got concert tickets in the US coming up in Feb 2022 and would like her to join me, but it might not be in the cards...

Online BC

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 04:46:29 PM »
Maybe try via a US Consulate in Athens or other EU country.

https://immigrantinvest.com/en/insider/usa-visa-in-2021/

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »
Maybe try via a US Consulate in Athens or other EU country.

https://immigrantinvest.com/en/insider/usa-visa-in-2021/

Thanks BC. Next question, if she were to travel to say, Warsaw, get an interview and get a US Visa for a date in the future and then return to Russia, does she need any permission from Russia to travel to the US and use that Visa?

Online BC

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 12:26:25 AM »
mitspilot,

I wouldn't think so.

The next hurdle, if she was granted a tourist visa, would be any current travel restrictions for entering the US.  These are likely to change from time to time.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

I don't see Russia listed for restrictions, but considering the COVID situation there, it could change any day.

In any case, the main hurdle will be justifying some type of visa, as the hurdles are quite high. Have done this several times over the years for my own family members.  Can be a bit daunting.  It is great you did have the opportunity to meet and spend time together.  In the meanwhile, can always see this as an 'opportunity' to spend more time together in EU while working on US visits, which also help to get a few more visits and returns in her passport showing she does have intent to return to Russia.  I suspect you are not the only ones in the same boat, having to resort to US Consulates outside Russia. Visa appointments may be scarce, with long wait times.

Haven't a clue what her personal/business situation is to see if there might be other compelling reasons to visit the US such as business or such, but suggest not posting personal details here.

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 06:15:20 AM »
Next question, if she were to travel to say, Warsaw, get an interview and get a US Visa for a date in the future and then return to Russia, does she need any permission from Russia to travel to the US and use that Visa?

Nobody needs permission to leave Russia to anywhere for tourism (unless working in the intelligence services). You only need to be able to legally enter your destination as with any country.

US tourist visas are traditionally very hard to get for Russian or Ukrainian women. I wouldn't expect much has changed. Unless she has extensive travel out of Russia and multiple visas to the EU (Turkey and Egypt don't really count), I'd not get your hopes up.

Here is a very old story of mine, but it still paints a picture: How (not) To Get a UK Resident Russian Woman a Visa to the USA
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »
If you find a concert in Europe someplace it will likely be much easier.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 09:43:01 AM »
Visas have never been that hard to get for most Russians. Sure, there's always a chance you'll be denied one, but out of the hundreds of Russians I've talked to, only one was denied, and i'm not sure why that person was rejected.

Foreigners, at least as we speak, cannot enter Russia. Russia is also a "red" listed country, which means there is a certain protocol people traveling out of Russia must do before they're allow to enter another country, depending on that country.

Most restrictions can be dealt with/overcome through vaccination (which is exactly the BS I was concerned about) and negative PCR tests.

Let me add that one does have to travel outside of Russia to obtain a US visa.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 10:30:11 AM »
Visas have never been that hard to get for most Russians.

It always seemed to be the case with stories documented here over the years that single women with not much in the way of assets or demonstrable reason to return found them hard to get. For business people or middle-class folks, probably less so.

We must always remind the passing reader too that women who come up with stories that they know someone who can arrange it if you will only send her $X to facilitate that is usually a scam. That probably applies less to Mitspilot as he has met his woman already.

It was always a mystery to me why they wouldn't give my wife a tourist visa when she was a UK resident already, had a passport stuffed with EU visas and was travelling with her husband. As it was, we went 18 months or so later when she got her UK passport.

Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »
It always seemed to be the case with stories documented here over the years that single women with not much in the way of assets or demonstrable reason to return found them hard to get. For business people or middle-class folks, probably less so.
Sure, especially between 2000-2006, but it became much easier afterward.

Of course, a young single dev (18-22) with no money, work, nor any other asset to help her will most likely be denied. I know of many, many single devs with no more than a job whom had no problem securing a US visa. COVID times make things a bit more complicated, but I even know some without no more than a throw away job whom were able to obtain a visa.

Nowadays, it's a PITA to get a visa as one has to travel outside the country, spend extra money doing it, and still run the risk of being denied, so most just say "F" it. Unless, someone else is paying the travel expenses.

We must always remind the passing reader too that women who come up with stories that they know someone who can arrange it if you will only send her $X to facilitate that is usually a scam. That probably applies less to Mitspilot as he has met his woman already.
Of course. It's amazing that it still happens given all the info/stories running around the internet.

It was always a mystery to me why they wouldn't give my wife a tourist visa when she was a UK resident already, had a passport stuffed with EU visas and was travelling with her husband. As it was, we went 18 months or so later when she got her UK passport.
One always runs the risk of being denied no matter the circumstances and for no reason. My g/f was denied a Canadian visa (albeit a little bit harder to get) a year after we went to America and possessing a passport full of schengen visas and stamps. No reason was given.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php
+1 on the IATA site! It seems updated multiple times a day and I've found it to have the most up to date, reliable and "most easily digestible" information with regards to entry requirements. It keeps changing from day to day though and US requirements for EU citizens don't make a lot of sense, but well.

Offline yankee

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2021, 12:39:09 PM »
Visas have never been that hard to get for most Russians. Sure, there's always a chance you'll be denied one, but out of the hundreds of Russians I've talked to, only one was denied, and i'm not sure why that person was rejected.

Foreigners, at least as we speak, cannot enter Russia. Russia is also a "red" listed country, which means there is a certain protocol people traveling out of Russia must do before they're allow to enter another country, depending on that country.

Most restrictions can be dealt with/overcome through vaccination (which is exactly the BS I was concerned about) and negative PCR tests.

Let me add that one does have to travel outside of Russia to obtain a US visa.

My wife (a dual citizen of Russia and the USA) is currently in Russia and is returning to the US in two weeks.  She has had two vaccination shots before she left for Russia (no one cared that she did).  To return to the US she needs to get tested (PCR?) within 72 hours of her flight, and test negative  prior to boarding her flight.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline mitspilot

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2021, 01:26:29 PM »
Great information, everyone. Thank you!

BTW, my lady friend is 47 and she has a 16yr old boy and 10yr old girl at home. She is DEFINITELY returning to Russia. She has made 3-5 international trips in the past 5 years, some of which didn't require a visa, but should still be a stamp in her passport.

It sounds like she might have a decent chance to be approved for a visa, if she is able to schedule an interview.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru

Offline notpuskhin2013

• Banned Troll
  • Spouses Country: UK
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 01:51:35 AM »

Nobody needs permission to leave Russia to anywhere for tourism (unless working in the intelligence services). You only need to be able to legally enter your destination as with any country.

As ever, you either do not understand or are misleading yourself ( and others)

Tell the members.. Are Police, Customs, Firefighters 'intelligence officers'  in Russia?

Why can't they holiday in TR or Thailand ?

Offline Texan77

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »
Why you do not tell us? I do not know why. Are there other countries they can not go to?