The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 1984 Style Tech Takeover? Twitter & FB Ban Trump. Apple & Google Remove Parler.  (Read 15264 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
American big tech has moved in organised unison the last few days to silence any pro-Trump dissenting voices and to strangle open discussion and the exchange of ideas.

Facebook and Twitter have banned Trump's account. Now whatever you think about Trump, these companies shouldn't be allowed to silence a sitting president when clerics from Iran and the far left are free to spew hate. 

As Snowden wrote on the subject:

Facebook officially silences the President of the United States. For better or worse, this will be remembered as a turning point in the battle for control over digital speech.

Twitter is banning right-wing voices by the thousand daily. Twitter is now a left-wing echo chamber that is unfit for purpose. People are fleeing to Gab and Parler as alternatives. So what do Google and Apple do?

They remove those sites from the App Store and the Android download list. Now you cant download those apps to your phone easily.

Now Amazon has jumped in and is cancelling the hosting for Parler knocking it offline.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/09/tech/parler-suspended-apple-app-store/index.html

Trump has also been banned from Instagram, Reddit has banned the subreddit group Cr/DonaldTrump, Shopify has removed Trump's official campaign merchandise from its platform by disabling his online stores, trumpstore.com and shop.donaldjtrump.com, TikTok is removing Trump's speeches, Trump was suspended from Snapchat and Youtube is removing much Trump content and all videos claiming vote fraud in the US.

That's a lot of tech companies moving in unison to control what you can and can see and what opinions you can read and post about. 

The internet suddenly became controlled by a handful of companies in just a few days. This is a move towards a North Korean style internet where only the approved narrative is available.

This is a very insidious and slippery slope.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
That is it exactly..

1984 Is truly coming.. the problem is most people are to stupid to realize what is going on and most don't care until it effects them. For example down in Sunny Dorset most don't care about things like this as it never effects them .. BUT one day it will.. the local schools will be dishing out Muslim shit.. the local Church will be closed down and replaced with a Mosque .. finally some people will see the light on many things.. they will finally decide to say something then BANG!!! They are arrested for hate speech and finally realize what has been going on..

Everyone is slowly being silenced .. Im not for sure so while Im here let me just say "Hilary Clinton is a f**** whore bag and I hope she drops dead very soon"

Absolutely 100% this is my last year in Facebook and Im already getting rid of whats app ,,

I personally think there will be some kind of tech revolution very soon.. I also noticed visitors to our sites are coming from DuckDuckgo non stop now.. things are changing there also..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
American big tech has moved in organised unison the last few days to silence any pro-Trump dissenting voices and to strangle open discussion and the exchange of ideas.

Facebook and Twitter have banned Trump's account. Now whatever you think about Trump, these companies shouldn't be allowed to silence a sitting president when clerics from Iran and the far left are free to spew hate. 

As Snowden wrote on the subject:

Facebook officially silences the President of the United States. For better or worse, this will be remembered as a turning point in the battle for control over digital speech.

Twitter is banning right-wing voices by the thousand daily. Twitter is now a left-wing echo chamber that is unfit for purpose. People are fleeing to Gab and Parler as alternatives. So what do Google and Apple do?

They remove those sites from the App Store and the Android download list. Now you cant download those apps to your phone easily.

Now Amazon has jumped in and is cancelling the hosting for Parler knocking it offline.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/09/tech/parler-suspended-apple-app-store/index.html

Trump has also been banned from Instagram, Reddit has banned the subreddit group "r/DonaldTrump, Shopify has removed Trump's official campaign merchandise from its platform by disabling his online stores, trumpstore.com and shop.donaldjtrump.com, TikTok is removing Trump's speeches, Trump was suspended from Snapchat and Youtube is removing much Trump content and all videos claiming vote fraud in the US.

That's a lot of tech companies moving in unison to control what you can and can see and what opinions you can read and post about. 

The internet suddenly became controlled by a handful of companies in just a few days. This is a move towards a North Korean style internet where only the approved narrative is available.

Sad but true.

Certainly what has happened has parallels in a number of dystopian novels. While D. Trump has to some degree himself created the new reality the corporate response is a sign of the greater danger resulting in the loss of freedoms.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
As a well-known British philosopher called Johnathon Pies aid a few hours ago: It is better not to ban Trump because it is better to be able see him coming. Not a direct quote, but that's the sense of it.

The United States has not just blotted its copybook in the past few days. It has gone into the teacher's store cupboard, taken out the BIG bottle of ink and emptied it out over every book in the classroom.

Now, what the civilised world saw coming has arrived. The United States is now a place where there is only one approved 'opinion'. All others are being removed.

We need an emoticon for pallbearers with a coffin.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20

The leaders of those companies are either hard core liberals or have been compromised and are working in unison to silence Trump and his supporters because we are leaking damaging info. Currently there's too many bad actors in American government trying to take over our great nation. This evil movement will be coming for you guys next. Besides Americans involved, there's lots of international players and organizations involved too. Based on the senseless silencing of millions, I hope people will begin to open their eyes to the evil we are facing.

Trump and many good people in our government will fix it. If anybody here doesn't believe in God, this is a good time to start believing because a miracle is about to happen. We're going to go through some pain before we have peace. Pray for the safety of the good people involved to right this wrong.

As a well-known British philosopher called Johnathon Pies aid a few hours ago: It is better not to ban Trump because it is better to be able see him coming.

Trump is being silenced and the attempt to remove him from office right now is simply because they learned he knows everything about them and he has the support to do something about it. They need to secure power right away so they can take control of the situation.

Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline BillyB

Keep in mind, Trump has been attacked from the beginning to get the public to reject him making early attempts of his removal easier. Anything Trump got little positive MSM press from the beginning. They are giving lots of attention to Biden and Harris now giving them awards and releasing positive articles on them. For the last 4 years Melania and Ivanka Trump never graced the cover of Vogue. Kamala Harris now gets on the cover with sneakers saying she's by the people and for the people.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/01/evil-media-guess-made-cover-vogue-magazine-guess-didnt-4-years/
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Manny

This article first appeared in the Sunday Times.

The era of free speech online is over. The indefinite suspension of Donald Trump’s Twitter account, following his suspension from Facebook, is a profound moment from which there is no going back. The tech giants have essentially asserted their right to police democratic politics, even to censor democratically elected presidents, depriving Trump of the primary means by which he addresses the American public.

Political debate online will now be firmly subject to the whims and prejudices of unaccountable billionaires. And this is being cheered by people who call themselves liberal.

The obviously odious things Trump has said and done in recent days are beside the point. This incursion of Big Tech into politics will cast a longer shadow over democracy than he or those loons who stormed the Capitol ever could.

Those saying that this isn’t a free-speech issue, that Trump has been inciting violence and insurrection and so has crossed a line, should read the rationale Twitter has published. It cites two Trump tweets: one praising the “75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me” and another announcing that he would not attend Joe Biden’s inauguration. This, the rationale says, is inciting violence.

The mental gymnastics on display are heroic. The reference to “American patriots”, Twitter says, is “being interpreted as support for those committing violent acts” — even though he was clearly referring to all his voters. Trump says he will skip the inauguration, it goes on, may “serve as encouragement to those potentially considering violent acts that the inauguration would be a ‘safe’ target, as he will not be attending”.

Here Twitter bigwigs seem to have acquired the ability to read not only Trump’s mind but also those of his nearly 89 million followers, divining cryptic calls to arms.

Twitter and Facebook were clearly just looking for excuses to ban Trump for good, under pressure from their own staff and a chorus of illiberal liberals who now are saying it should have been done years ago.

Big Tech censorship is nothing new. In recent years, social media firms have tightened the bounds of acceptable thought and speech under the guise of tackling hate speech and misinformation. This purge has swept up not just the Tommy Robinsons and David Ickes of this world, but also broadcasters that question lockdown and feminists concerned about the excesses of trans politics. But with the Trump ban, the Rubicon has well and truly been crossed.

For years, Twitter and Facebook have resisted demands to delete Trump’s tweets or suspend his account, given that he is the leader of the US and people probably should know what he’s getting up to. In the past year, Trump has had his posts about Covid, voter fraud and Black Lives Matter protests slapped with warning labels and fact-checks. But until now Twitter and Facebook were hesitant to suspend him.

That Big Tech has decided to move before Trump is even out of office sets a terrifying precedent. Silicon Valley believes it has the right to stand between a president and his people. And if the American president can be censored, it really can happen to anyone.

Those saying this isn’t censorship because Twitter and Facebook are private companies are unconvincing, not least because many of those levelling this staunch defence of billionaires’ rights are on the left. The tech oligarchs essentially own the digital public square.

Worse, they are now trying to bring to heel companies that have tried to launch alternatives. Parler — a free-speech alternative to Twitter — has just been suspended from Google’s app store. And Apple has said it will do the same unless Parler introduces content-moderation policies.

This will not end with Trump. In the name of felling one right-wing authoritarian, liberals have ushered in a genuine tyranny.

Tom Slater is deputy editor of Spiked Magazine.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline LoyalMan

• ChiNazi scientists have invented Wuhan Virus Test Agent with accuracy rate close to 0%
  • Spouses Country: Neptune
Good to see everybody is involved into such a Global Tyranny.

I know some western "Fart People and Low End Population" on this site support and enjoy this 21st Century New Living Style.  Amen (as wished).

Offline Manny

Good to see everybody is involved into such a Global Tyranny.

I know some western "Fart People and Low End Population" on this site support and enjoy this 21st Century New Living Style.  Amen (as wished).

This must be your only post in recent times where you didn't blame China.  :chuckle:

By "fart people" you mean pimin or laobaixing, right? Low information regular people?

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
I have been warning for years about big tech and MSM censorship and now we see their brazen and criminal actions out in the open.

This doesn't bode well at all for the US Republic.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
Now that Trump has been deplatformed from social media, the US can finally breathe free and enjoy the fascist-free, racism-free, and social-tension-free democratic paradise of freedom and equality.
~ Denis Churilov

:ROFL: :ROFL: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D ;D :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Contrarian

Now that Trump has been deplatformed from social media, the US can finally breathe free and enjoy the fascist-free, racism-free, and social-tension-free democratic paradise of freedom and equality.
~ Denis Churilov

:ROFL: :ROFL: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;D ;D ;D :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

:ROFL:     :ROFL:      :ROFL:         :ROFL:      :ROFL:      tiphat

Offline Contrarian

Steveboy, do you have a link to his quote?

I did find this excellent article by him.

https://fort-russ.com/2020/06/propaganda-instead-of-real-expertise-how-the-media-brainwashes-people/

Offline Guile

By "fart people" you mean pimin or laobaixing, right? Low information regular people?

Manny, loyalman is from Hong Kong where they speak Cantonese.  I don't even know if he can understand Mandarin with his disdain for the mainland.

I'm pretty surprised you know those terms. Picked up some street slang your last trip to China?  :chuckle:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
Steveboy, do you have a link to his quote?

I did find this excellent article by him.

https://fort-russ.com/2020/06/propaganda-instead-of-real-expertise-how-the-media-brainwashes-people/

No I have a friend who found it .. he's into all this stuff..

Yep reality really is coming around now get ready for thought control!!!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
I will slowly start to push my friends/family away from Whatsapp and facebook, twitter, instagram.

All my contacts that have double -apps ,(eg whatsapp and telegram) I will reply on the other if they use watsapp to contact me.

Same for facebook, I don't have other media accounts.

My wife is already on ok.ru , so her facebook is practicly nil anyway.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Contrarian

I will slowly start to push my friends/family away from Whatsapp and facebook, twitter, instagram.

All my contacts that have double -apps ,(eg whatsapp and telegram) I will reply on the other if they use watsapp to contact me.

I deleted farce book at least 6 months ago and don't miss it.

Was thinking of getting on Parler but now it appears to be nearly dead?

Offline BillyB

Breaking! Senators vow to hold big tech accountable by flying their CEOs to D.C. and saying mean things to them. They will pay a price! From the Babylon Bee, the only fake news you can trust...

https://babylonbee.com/news/senators-vow-to-hold-big-tech-accountable-by-flying-them-to-dc-and-saying-mean-things-to-them

Offline Contrarian

Offline Manny

Picked up some street slang your last trip to China?  :chuckle:

I'm just some passing Gweilo.  :chuckle:

Offline Manny

A pal of mine in Holland uses Threema with me. Seems an OK platform, but not so many on it. When it scanned my contacts it found only him and the CEO of HRB who use it. Trouble is, the world and his wife uses Whatsapp (except Afi who is still on Skype).

I am also not an FB user. I've got an account but never use it. I don't have a personal Instagram either. I never trusted FB.

Google is the one people would struggle without. Steveboy mentioned DuckDuckGo, but their underlying engine is Bing(:)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member

A pal of mine in Holland uses Threema with me. Seems an OK platform, but not so many on it. When it scanned my contacts it found only him and the CEO of HRB who use it. Trouble is, the world and his wife uses Whatsapp (except Afi who is still on Skype).

I am also not an FB user. I've got an account but never use it. I don't have a personal Instagram either. I never trusted FB.

Google is the one people would struggle without. Steveboy mentioned DuckDuckGo, but their underlying engine is Bing(:)

They maybe using Big at the moment but I think things will change very soon and fast.. It is not just DuckDuckgo people are using other search engines similar.. something will crack soon..The internet is still pretty new really and lawless to a certain extent .. but every thing comes to an end eventually .. web sites, empires.. companies

Offline Manny

Interesting email from Gab:

=============================

If your business is built on the backs of Silicon Valley tyrants (Apple, Google, et al) they can and will attempt to destroy you if and when you become a threat to their interests.

They did this to Gab. Then Fortnite. Now Parler.

Terrible content of all kinds is available on Twitter and Facebook.

Everyone on the planet knows this fact.

Yet both companies are on both App Stores.

Apple banning Parler is not the neutral implementation of some objective standard, but rather a cynical, politically motivated gesture and evidence of Silicon Valley elites’ disdain for ordinary Americans.

The solution, as always, is not government.

It is to build your own.

People mock this meme, but Gab lives it.

While others whine, we build.

Meet the Gab Phone.
Yes, it’s real.

The Big Tech data mining silo must come down.
We will no longer be serfs on your digital plantation.
You will no longer control our digital destiny.
You can’t stop the signal.

Stay tuned for pre-order information.

Offline tfcrew

• Spouses Country: Ukraine

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
Have you noticed some series on Netflix especially the period dramas now have coloureds every where.. as fas as I was aware from History back in the 17/18th Century the only coloureds were either slaves or street cleaners or servants.. But it seems Noooooooo they were also part of the aristocracy .. yes they also has mansions in London.. went shopping in Gucci and Armani had stables with horses ..in fact about 50% of the population was coloured  ???

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/netflix-s-bridgerton-shonda-rhimes-reinvents-how-present-race-period-ncna1251989

Mmmmm next up the German concentration camps never actually incinerated anyone..they had tea parties in Belson.. :chuckle:

I see they are re making Roots with White slaves to show diversity  :ROFL: