The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: NYC is Dead Forever  (Read 1632 times)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
NYC is Dead Forever
« on: August 17, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »
When I worked in Warrington there were NY Yankee caps for sale everywhere in every color combo - I was surprised how many lasses I met had been on no VAT discount shopping trips to NYC - went with empty suitcases and came home full with a new wardrobe and NO sales tags attached to avoid VAT back home.

Now those days seem long gone:

https://jamesaltucher.com/blog/nyc-is-dead-forever-heres-why/

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: NYC is Dead Forever
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »

Many wealthy New Yorkers have decided not to come back. Coronavirus, high taxes, skyrocketing crime, and bad liberal management have encouraged wealthy New Yorkers to live elsewhere permanently. Cuomo begs them to come back to help the city.  I'm surprised Cuomo admitted 1% of the people pay 50% of the State taxes in NY. So when Democrats tell you the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes and they'll make it happen if you vote for them, they are full of sh!t.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/governor-cuomo-begs-wealthy-yorkers-150935434.html

Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 11:11:22 PM »
San Francisco's mass exodus: People are getting tired of living in democratic controlled cities. It not what the article says but the homeless people have come from all over the country to live in San Francisco. it is very expensive to live there (if you want to live in a home), very dirty and not so safe. It is not surprising people are finding away to move.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/san-franciscos-mass-exodus-twice-as-many-homes-are-for-sale-compared-to-last-year-as-people-look-to-leave-the-city/ar-BB184qFG?ocid=U218DHP
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 01:06:50 AM »
So, what you're saying is the urban property prices will fall and Montana will soon be the most expensive place to buy development land ?
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:28:21 PM »
I was surprised how many lasses I met had been on no VAT discount shopping trips to NYC - went with empty suitcases and came home full with a new wardrobe and NO sales tags attached to avoid VAT back home.

Now those days seem long gone:

That was always one the lures of NY (and FL and other places), and indeed every Brit went out with empty cases, removed the tags, dumped the receipts, and flew home with a new wardrobe. I've been a few times.

The article was a saddening read. I have wanted to take wifey to New York for a few years, but there is no prospect of visiting anywhere in the US while the virus is rampant, crime and social disorder is rampant and gun crime is up. Articles like this one in the NYT shows us that New York and many other places simply aren't safe.

A pal of mine has a second home in Atlanta and even his Range Rover parked in the airport there his visits were so frequent. Not now. He told me recently he has "no plans" to go back. He has brought his daughter home from university there. He still runs his second business there but from the UK. I didn't want to ask about his airport parking bill.....
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »
 Question for you guys, would the electoral vote change in States like NY and California if there was a mass exodus of people leaving there? Say for example 3-4 million people moved to other States. Would they adjust the votes to the new, lesser population?

Offline Steamer

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 07:10:11 AM »
Question for you guys, would the electoral vote change in States like NY and California if there was a mass exodus of people leaving there? Say for example 3-4 million people moved to other States. Would they adjust the votes to the new, lesser population?

Yes but the bigger concern would be the amount of congressional seats.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:16:19 AM »

The total amount of electoral votes would always stay the same but NY and California would lose electoral votes and congressional borders within States would change. Every State gets two electoral votes because they have two Senators. Population dictates how many House seats a State gets and they get one electoral vote per House seat.

My State of Washington voted for Reagan, a Republican in the 80's. That's also when a lot of Californians started moving up here. We haven't voted Republican since. If people move away from NY and California, they will not carry as much weight when voting for President but they may change a smaller populated red State to blue in the process. It may happen to Arizona.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:05:12 AM »
Good grief, I happened upon this article on Twitter: 49 People Shot In 72 Hours As Wave Of Gun Violence Continues In NYC

It looks to be mostly Brooklyn, Bronx, etc, so might be all black on black, but still.

I cant see how anyone can imagine its safe there now.  :eeekk:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline BillyB

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
Good grief, I happened upon this article on Twitter: 49 People Shot In 72 Hours As Wave Of Gun Violence Continues In NYC

It looks to be mostly Brooklyn, Bronx, etc, so might be all black on black, but still.

I cant see how anyone can imagine its safe there now.  :eeekk:

I wouldn't visit any Democrat led city. Criminals know the cops are demoralized by city leadership and NOW is the time to go even some scores with rival gangs. Even with the recent increase in violence, Democratic politicians will still tell you with a straight face less cops are better.

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »

The total amount of electoral votes would always stay the same but NY and California would lose electoral votes and congressional borders within States would change. Every State gets two electoral votes because they have two Senators. Population dictates how many House seats a State gets and they get one electoral vote per House seat.

My State of Washington voted for Reagan, a Republican in the 80's. That's also when a lot of Californians started moving up here. We haven't voted Republican since. If people move away from NY and California, they will not carry as much weight when voting for President but they may change a smaller populated red State to blue in the process. It may happen to Arizona.

Ok, thanks, that's what I was wondering. My guess is that most of the people who are leaving these States are sick of the Dems ruining them and are less likely to vote Dem again after that, so you would end up have a higher concentration of Dem voters left in those States. At least they wouldn't have as much voting power as before, but it might make that State have an even stronger Democratic hold. Making it even harder to turn to Republican in the future

Offline yankee

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »

Ok, thanks, that's what I was wondering. My guess is that most of the people who are leaving these States are sick of the Dems ruining them and are less likely to vote Dem again after that, so you would end up have a higher concentration of Dem voters left in those States. At least they wouldn't have as much voting power as before, but it might make that State have an even stronger Democratic hold. Making it even harder to turn to Republican in the future

The census that determines the number of Congressmen as well as the electoral college only occurs once every 10 years
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »
 Oh really? Not every 4 years before an election? Well that means it's possible for the numbers to be skewed for two election cycles. If played right, a political party can use that to their advantage, chase away voters who oppose them. Make it difficult for businesses to operate in their State so they leave, individuals who actually have net worth who don't want to live in a hellhole wil go too. Cause turmoil by letting rioters have free reign to loot an pillage, then promise whoever is left free aid if they vote for them. The State becomes a disaster zone but they get to keep those electoral votes until the next census and hopefully it helps them get into power again.  Interesting....

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »
My guess is that most of the people who are leaving these States are sick of the Dems ruining them and are less likely to vote Dem again after that, so you would end up have a higher concentration of Dem voters left in those States.

Funny thing is a lot of those people who are sick of far left policies that ruined their state will continue to vote on the left in the state they moved to thinking left still the answer.

But as we get older, we get wiser and older wiser people tend to vote on the right. Many of the youth today who embraced liberalism will wake up later in life.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 08:23:32 AM »
San Francisco's mass exodus: People are getting tired of living in democratic controlled cities. It not what the article says but the homeless people have come from all over the country to live in San Francisco. it is very expensive to live there (if you want to live in a home), very dirty and not so safe. It is not surprising people are finding away to move.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/san-franciscos-mass-exodus-twice-as-many-homes-are-for-sale-compared-to-last-year-as-people-look-to-leave-the-city/ar-BB184qFG?ocid=U218DHP

What a pity.. how life is turning out.. I think the Uk will also go that way already has in London..

The best thing you can do today is get your own private Island away from the idiots on the planet.. or move to Russia :laugh: tiphat
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »

Funny thing is a lot of those people who are sick of far left policies that ruined their state will continue to vote on the left in the state they moved to thinking left still the answer.

But as we get older, we get wiser and older wiser people tend to vote on the right. Many of the youth today who embraced liberalism will wake up later in life.

'Really', BillyB ?

I ( according to some on this board !) am a 'leftie' and yet I have only once failed to vote for the Conservatives / Unionists ..

My kids Ma was also a Tory voter ..

I have not had much influence on my kids and note they share my views on 'Brexit'

Many 'left of centre' traditional Labour Party members voted for the Tories ...  The traditional voting values were broken ,,, ( in the UK ) using the first past the post system that gives the UK unrepresentative govts ( 'Funny' how N.I has had PR for nearly 3 decades and it works )

If anything, more of the traditional Labour party voters moved 'right' and than the middle class moving 'left' ...

There was a paradigm shift in the UK and I see the US being the first large nation to move back ..

All this whinging about 'fake news' when it's the 'right' that have been the most guilty parties ..
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 08:28:17 PM »

'Really', BillyB ?

There was a paradigm shift in the UK and I see the US being the first large nation to move back ..

All this whinging about 'fake news' when it's the 'right' that have been the most guilty parties ..

ms for your integrity it would be far better not to comment on United States politics. It would matter little which side of the political spectrum you are. Your comments above show such a naive view that I would assume a dolt composed them.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 07:31:22 AM »
I ( according to some on this board !) am a 'leftie' and yet I have only once failed to vote for the Conservatives / Unionists ..

Your inability to understand where you sit politically, only highlights how slothful you are with learning and how confused you are as an old pensioner.

Your posts scream lefty and the usual Brexit, Trump, rubber dinghy threads out you as the loser you are. A bit of self reflection might be the best thing to happen to you, even if it is in your later years.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 07:33:35 AM »

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Funniest thing I've ever read from Moby. And he claims not to be a lefty!! He thinks like one, writes like one and virtue signals like one. I smell dog shit.  :'(

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »
I ( according to some on this board !) am a 'leftie'

If it quacks like a duck.........

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 08:46:17 AM »

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Funniest thing I've ever read from Moby. And he claims not to be a lefty!! He thinks like one, writes like one and virtue signals like one. I smell dog shit.  :'(
The smell is pervasive across this and another place.......

The Bloke is a lefty through and through.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
https://nypost.com/2020/09/10/new-york-ceos-demand-mayor-de-blasio-to-fix-citys-plague-of-crime/

Great article Cuffy, thank you.

How long does it take a Marxist like DeBlasio to realize that he's destroying his own city?