The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Love in the time of covid....  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Love in the time of covid....
« on: July 30, 2020, 11:27:04 PM »
Love in the time of cholera might have been a bestseller, but love in the time of covid is a royal pain in the ass. 

How are you guys keeping the flame alive despite the distance? 

Is anyone else planning to meet their significant other in a third country?  If so what are the preparations and logistics looking like? 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Love in the time of covid....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 02:22:29 AM »
Love in the time of cholera might have been a bestseller, but love in the time of covid is a royal pain in the ass. 

Is anyone else planning to meet their significant other in a third country?  If so what are the preparations and logistics looking like?

Even meeting one's WIFE is fraught with issues..!

Been trying to get a FR Schengen for SC for 22 days ...  Type in she is the wife of an EU Citizen and want a long stay visa and the site ignores the input and asks the wrong questions .... should ask about ME ..

Schengen nations are only issuing long-term visas to Russians if they are joining their family .

Awaiting permission from the Consulate in Moscow to simply allow the pdf ( correctly filled in ) on 16th July to be processed

By the time SC gets it ... B and FR may be joining Spain and L'bourg on the black list

The normal happy hunting ground of Cyprus is still out for Folks from N.America / Russia

SC would have to quarantine in the UK or FR on arrival, which means I would, so my siblings will take over care of Ma,,

Turkey is a place we can meet up .. but it's not home..

STILL waiting to hear when I can get a family Visa to go to RU ..as ( currently) SC has to be with me to apply

Thinking of chartering a yacht in Thailand
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 03:48:25 AM »
It's an absolute pain in the arse.

Been unable to get back to the UK since the end of February. Now I can get back but ongoing restrictions make it hard for us to meet up (childcare).

We've been chatting, exchanging pics, video chat and all that stuff. In some ways it's made things stronger, but I've been feeling as though my life is in a holding pattern because the things we had planned to do couldn't happen. Everything is delayed.

Hopefully I'll be back over in 2 or 3 weeks andatters can start to move ahead but still, that's six months of our lives gone, lost.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »

Been trying to get a FR Schengen for SC for 22 days ...  Type in she is the wife of an EU Citizen and want a long stay visa and the site ignores the input and asks the wrong questions .... should ask about ME ..

Schengen nations are only issuing long-term visas to Russians if they are joining their family .

Awaiting permission from the Consulate in Moscow to simply allow the pdf ( correctly filled in ) on 16th July to be processed

By the time SC gets it ... B and FR may be joining Spain and L'bourg on the black list

The normal happy hunting ground of Cyprus is still out for Folks from N.America / Russia

SC would have to quarantine in the UK or FR on arrival, which means I would, so my siblings will take over care of Ma,,

STILL waiting to hear when I can get a family Visa to go to RU ..as ( currently) SC has to be with me to apply

Karma.

Imagine if you had chosen to pay for a proper UK visa for your wife like the rest of us did. Flights from Russia to the UK have resumed, she'd be here by now.

But you wanted to do it the "free way" like Mr EU smart arse with two passports and winging it with her in jail at Calais or Dover. Now you're scrambling about trying to find a third country to meet in, while hastily arranging "free" visas where you can each dodge a bunch of rules.

You'll know the Russian saying: "Greedy pays twice".  :coffeeread:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Guile

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 10:23:01 PM »
That's Moby's life in a nutshell..always looking for the cheapest way.  that's why he'll couchsurf on strangers beds and try to bum off rides from fellow members. as expected he burned those bridges.

Moby you couldn't afford to charter a yacht let alone a dingy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
Once more Manny seems DESPERATE to prove he is inattentive ...

I am not UK resident and SC had visas to come to the UK and Schengen zones. She can get new ones.. the issue is quarantining..( and the French are having tech issues with their visa application site for applications for EU family members.)

We are resident in a third EU nation.. but my Mum is in the UK and the plan was I come for two months, in winter, to take my turn caring for Ma.

Nearly eight months later.... I am still here.

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:37 AM »
I am not UK resident

Clearly you are. By your own admission you’ve been here eight months and that crosses the residency threshold.

Quote from: HMRC
If you’ve been in the UK for 183 or more days you’ll be a UK resident. There is no need to consider any other tests.

Source. You’ll be seeking a COVID exemption I’m sure. Or hoping to obfuscate the tallies by using different passports to enter and leave.  (:)

But having a brass plate nailed to a palm tree in Cyprus masquerading as Moby Inc, or some scrap of paper with a rubber stamp declaring you “resident” there has bit you in the arse.

Your wife got stamped in the UK once under an obscure EU ruling after being in the slammer. That’s not a proper visa, if it were, it could be renewed remotely (and she travel alone) and she could have hopped a plane last week and arrived to you.

You’re flapping to get a French Schengen, but if your methodology was sound, you could get one in twenty odd other states. Why not get her a Dutch or German Schengen for example? Or even an Irish one as you have a passport? I suspect they don’t recognise the shonky rules you seek to use. The frogs will let anyone in as we see at Sangatte. And you want to use France as a back door to the UK again.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave. When first we practise to deceive!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 02:29:28 AM »
 :ROFL:

There was no need to prove your 'expertise' re my 'UK' residency status for all to see..))

The UK Border Agency tried to address my status as you did...

And FAILED, too..They had to go and check....

I am allowed to care for my Mum for how long, before my CY resiency lapses?.....

'Thank you'...

I have a CY address, phone number, monthly outgoings and incomings', 'thanks'..

You already made one daft ASSertion re Wifey's status...then you compounded it by 'telling us', mine))

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 05:14:34 AM »
The points I made were quite correct and you know it.

Had you obtained for your wife any kind of legitimate UK visa, be it spouse or tourist, she could come and go as she pleased - without being locked up at the border. But as you’re a know all whose antics have backfired, she’s stuck abroad till you can wriggle around the rules some other way.

So your “plight” as described in reply #1 is entirely self inflicted. And not really virus related.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »

Karma.

Imagine if you had chosen to pay for a proper UK visa for your wife like the rest of us did. Flights from Russia to the UK have resumed, she'd be here by now.

But you wanted to do it the "free way" like Mr EU smart arse with two passports and winging it with her in jail at Calais or Dover. Now you're scrambling about trying to find a third country to meet in, while hastily arranging "free" visas where you can each dodge a bunch of rules.

You'll know the Russian saying: "Greedy pays twice".  :coffeeread:

:ROFL:      :ROFL:       :ROFL:        :ROFL:       :ROFL:

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »

The only people having to ‘meet’ their own wife, are the ones Manny described above.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »

My goodness, is it SO hard for you to admit you were simply wrong?

Up to June 26th SC has a current Family Permit visa. She could have come to the UK...

Upto 25th June she had a Schengen.

Had you obtained for your wife any kind of legitimate UK visa, be it spouse or tourist, she could come and go as she pleased - without being locked up at the border.

She had a legit UK visa, thanks and will have one, again... the issue that upsets you is that it will be FREE ( again)...but it will still not help as she would have to quarantine for 1r days and we would have to join with her.

But as you’re a know all whose antics have backfired, she’s stuck abroad till you can wriggle around the rules some other way.

So your “plight” as described in reply #1 is entirely self inflicted. And not really virus related.

OK, let's indulge you...what would have happened of SC had come to the UK on June 9th? She still had a UK visa?

Here's a clue...she would have been allowed in...but would have had to quarantine...and so would we.

IF she had a tourist visa...She would not have been allowed to leave RU..

When it comes to immigration  stuff, best leave it to someone who REALLY knows...and demonstrably better than you OR many UKBA staff.

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 05:06:48 PM »

My goodness, is it SO hard for you to admit you were simply wrong?

OK, book her a flight next week, use a valid UK visa, when she arrives, I'll send her a bottle of Moet Chandon down with DPD as a welcome to the UK gift from RUA.

That offer is open for one month.

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 07:37:11 PM »

Here's a clue...she would have been allowed in...but would have had to quarantine...and so would we.

So what are you trying to say That even your wife can't handle being around you for 14 days? I guess that's believable!  :chuckle:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »

So what are you trying to say That even your wife can't handle being around you for 14 days? I guess that's believable!  :chuckle:

:canada: :BEER:  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: tiphat

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 12:39:43 AM »

I realise you don't need to pay attention, but I have been sheltering sith my elderly Ma with Alzheimer's..Only came

As of yesterday, her official stay well away from other folks ended and she was going stir crazy to get out and meet friends ( socially distancing, of course)

If SC comes here, Ma would be confined, immediately.

Sis' was due down to take over, but she is from Manchester... folks there are banned from going into other's houses....

Clearer, now.....?)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 12:43:15 AM »

OK, book her a flight next week, use a valid UK visa, when she arrives, I'll send her a bottle of Moet Chandon down with DPD as a welcome to the UK gift from RUA.

Just send it as an apology, anyway.

Repeat after me...

1/SC has only ever been to the UK, legally...

2/ Moby is not UK resident and educated me as to exceptions

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 03:45:55 AM »

Moby attempting to use the quarantine excuse, as a reason why they can’t be together, is one of the most lame I’ve seen even from him. Her ‘free’ visa has expired yet had they applied and paid for a proper one, this wouldn’t even be an issue.

Manny’s description of Moby & his antics is right on the money yet Moby isn’t big enough to admit it.

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 06:05:29 AM »

OK, book her a flight next week, use a valid UK visa, when she arrives, I’ll send her a bottle of Moet Chandon down with DPD as a welcome to the UK gift from RUA.

Repeat after me...

1/SC has only ever been to the UK, legally...

I never suggested her visit here was illegal.

Your claim to be non resident is firstly factually incorrect as you’re here, and a sham in any event. It’s probably to evade you being taxed here. Having a few phone bills and some supporting documents to fabricate the illusion of residency in Cyprus might keep HMRC off your back as you’re small fry. We can all see through you though.

I maintain that the separation from your wife was entirely avoidable by any regular person who goes about things the normal way. Your ducking and diving and obsession with getting everything for free has bit you in the arse.

Get used to it. Now we’re out of the EU, the obscure pathways you use to wriggle around visas, taxes, etc will close.

Online Guile

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »

Manny, not a good idea to send a drunk free champagne.  He won't even let the Miss have a sip knowing mobbie.  he'll chug that straight down.

Moby you ain't a UK resident?  :-X ???  tax dodging at it's worst.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 08:43:59 AM »
He must believe this stuff.
In his mind, his version of reality he:
Has a degree in biology
Fought with the Blue Berets
Has not been in the UK long enough to be considered resident there
Obtained residency for his current wife
Was offered officer training with the Royal Navy
... And more that I don't recall for the time being.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 11:45:47 AM »

I realise you don't need to pay attention, but I have been sheltering sith my elderly Ma with Alzheimer's..Only came

As of yesterday, her official stay well away from other folks ended and she was going stir crazy to get out and meet friends ( socially distancing, of course)

If SC comes here, Ma would be confined, immediately.

Sis' was due down to take over, but she is from Manchester... folks there are banned from going into other's houses....

Clearer, now.....?)

Oh yes, it's very clear... that you are losing track of your lies and excuses and forget what you said. You were talking about if she came before her visa expired, June 9th, not now. The quarantine would be long over and your mom would not be effected today. You can't use her as an excuse this time!

In a way I can see why you are coming up with all these excuses. By your own admission there was a way for SC to come be with you so you could be together. You would think a newly wed wife would jump at the chance to be with her husband, especially after being apart for months. But at the end of the day the fact is she chose not to. That's gotta sting... no wonder you don't want to admit it! I damn near feel sorry for you on that one!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 12:40:08 PM »
Pray tell us why Russia would let a resident of Cyprus fly to the UK?

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 08:43:48 PM »

Don’t be absurd. Your wife is a Russian citizen, there would be no restriction on her flying to the UK since they resumed flights if she had a visa.

But. She. Hasn’t.

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »

Don’t be absurd. Your wife is a Russian citizen, there would be no restriction on her flying to the UK since they resumed flights if she had a visa.

Lol, so pathetic. He gets caught with his pants down with that outright lie and that was the best he could come up with to try to deflect.

But. She. Hasn’t.

She didn't want to. The more I think about it the more it makes sense.  :coffeeread: