The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Dutch Court seizes assests re Yukos shareholders claim  (Read 697 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Dutch Court seizes assests re Yukos shareholders claim
« on: May 19, 2020, 04:24:43 AM »
https://meduza.io/en/news/2020/05/18/dutch-court-seizes-local-rights-to-stolichnaya-and-moskovskaya-vodkas-to-repay-russia-s-debt-to-former-yukos-shareholders

Dutch court seizes local rights to ‘Stolichnaya’ and ‘Moskovskaya’ vodkas to repay Russia’s debt to former Yukos shareholders

I wonder what Dutch firm ( that has done nothing wrong )will suffer for this action ...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
Re: Dutch Court seizes assests re Yukos shareholders claim
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »
Why would a Dutch firm suffer?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »

What did Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya vodkas do wrong except be Russia? 
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:14:36 PM »

Not sure? But I thought both are owned by the Russian government.

The Yukos saga has been going on for a loooooong while. (The first Russian woman I dated worked for Yukos in the States.) While there are clear agreements already in place protecting works of art, I would be concerned about anything at the Hermitage a/d Amstel being attached.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »
I think this is a part of another dispute. The Russian brand owners, as I recall, went to court recently to get the rights back from some European company that had usurped them and was using the brand without rights.

If my memory serves me well, the Russian brand owners won the case. This seems like another round in that fight.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »

Not sure? But I thought both are owned by the Russian government.

The Yukos saga has been going on for a loooooong while. (The first Russian woman I dated worked for Yukos in the States.) While there are clear agreements already in place protecting works of art, I would be concerned about anything at the Hermitage a/d Amstel being attached.

The brands are indeed "Russian Government" owned. The RU-Government fought over 20 years in court to claim rights and last year won the final (hoge raad) appeal in Netherlands. Therefore they are now "seizable" assets in the case of Yukos.

Interestingly, nobody knows their worth and an auction is planned in September 2020. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if the rights are practicly worthless because the Russian government does not recognise the ICC and will make it damn clear to potential buyers that trouble with russia will follow those who claim these rights in the auction.

I don't think the art in Hermitage/Amsterdam is in any seizable-asset claim because they have diplomatic immunity (yes, objects can have that in law as well in Netherlands).
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
Yeah, any buyer would almost certainly be an existing drinks business wanting to grow its portfolio. That means they'd already be trading in the RF. Adding those brands, even if they didn't try to use them in the RF would be a dicey business.

Whether there'd be any effect on European sales of the Russian product or not, I have no idea.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 02:48:29 PM »
Yeah, any buyer would almost certainly be an existing drinks business wanting to grow its portfolio. That means they'd already be trading in the RF. Adding those brands, even if they didn't try to use them in the RF would be a dicey business.

Whether there'd be any effect on European sales of the Russian product or not, I have no idea.

I still remember the case of Putin's daughter married  to some Dutchmen (they lived anonymously near the hague for quite some time).
I forgot his real name, so I will refer to him as Dutchie.

Anyway, Dutchie was driving in his bimmer dutch-plated in Moscow.
Dutchie got in an accident because some as***le didn't give right of way and his bimmer was ruined.
As****le bought off the local police with a stiff bribe.

As****les company then went bankrupt because all his friends suddenly refused to take his business.
Nobody found any evidence of anything, but he still went Bankrupt.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »
I wasn't suggesting anything illegal or underhanded would happen. I can think of legal actions that might take place as the result of having a legal presence in Russia. Analogous to what has been happening inThe Netherlands.

Registration