The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Stocks and Shares  (Read 46655 times)

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Re: Stocks and Shares
« Reply #625 on: February 17, 2024, 07:32:23 PM »
I was too slow to renew my W8 form for US holdings on one of my stock accounts and the bloody platform sold them all, many at a loss.  :D

I haven't done too well on US stocks the last year or so actually, Tex's doom stories may be right. Stalwart stuff like Walgreens, ADM, and some healthcare funds all on the floor over a year. I think I'm staying out of the US now.

I have been doing quite well in tech stocks - once MSFT switched to a subscription model, their stock went 10x, after 13  year of going sideways - and also in selling TSLA covered calls - I am long on TSLA even in the current environment.  I've also done well in Algorithmic Forex Trading, but that's super-secret stuff (my activities, not that it goes on).

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online Texan77

• Trips: 20+
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Turboguy

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #627 on: February 26, 2024, 09:20:00 AM »
Chinese market hits new lows making Chinese stocks worth a new recorder low against USA stocks. It seems investors do not trust the Chinese economy going forward.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/china-selloff-leads-to-record-38-trillion-gap-with-us-stocks/ar-BB1h6dFO?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=26df623615794a3ea86da59e32c3264c&ei=15
I tend to think Chinese stocks are going to stay in the crapper until and unless the relationship between China and the USA improves and I don't see that happening while Biden is president.  Probably not even if Trump comes back into office.   Unfortunately I got into some of those stocks before the relationship went south.   Ten Cent for example, I was up 20K at one point and now am down 4K.  Alibaba has me down 15K.  Nio at 5 and I bought at 20. 

I am not complaining.  I am still way up overall but the Chinese stocks have been a drag along with some of the REITS. 

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #628 on: February 26, 2024, 09:22:14 AM »
Chinese market hits new lows making Chinese stocks worth a new recorder low against USA stocks. It seems investors do not trust the Chinese economy going forward.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/china-selloff-leads-to-record-38-trillion-gap-with-us-stocks/ar-BB1h6dFO?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=26df623615794a3ea86da59e32c3264c&ei=15
I tend to think Chinese stocks are going to stay in the crapper until and unless the relationship between China and the USA improves and I don't see that happening while Biden is president.  Probably not even if Trump comes back into office.   Unfortunately I got into some of those stocks before the relationship went south.   Ten Cent for example, I was up 20K at one point and now am down 4K.  Alibaba has me down 15K.  Nio at 5 and I bought at 20. 

I am not complaining.  I am still way up overall but the Chinese stocks have been a drag along with some of the REITS.

Great to see a post from you!

How's it haning in your neck of the woods?  :)

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #629 on: February 26, 2024, 10:35:02 AM »

Maybe it's time to switch to YANG, the China 3x Bear ETF?

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #630 on: February 26, 2024, 06:59:16 PM »

Great to see a post from you!

How's it hanging in your neck of the woods?  :)
Things are good here. I believe I posted a while back that my wife and I got divorced after 15 years of marriage.  We are still good friends and she still works in my office part time.  I don't have any plans to go back to the FSU with the thoughts of trading her in for 2 that are half her age.  I am just having a good time, doing things with friends, golfing when the weather permits and still working but it's more like playing at work compared to some of the very long hard hours of my past. 

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #631 on: February 26, 2024, 07:06:35 PM »

Maybe it's time to switch to YANG, the China 3x Bear ETF?

B/B

Right now I think I am as invested in China's stocks as I want to be.  I do think there is more upside in the investments there than downside as long as China doesn't invade Taiwan.  If that happens I will wish I had cut my losses. 

No one only buys winners.  You just hope you have more winners than losers or that your losers lose less than your gainers gain.  I have picked a lot of good stocks as well and I am happy with my returns.