The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Oil near zero  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 20+
Oil near zero
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:38:34 AM »
Near-term prices for West Texas Intermediate, the U.S. benchmark, are trading at huge discounts to later-dated contracts on concern the storage hub at Cushing, Oklahoma, will fill to capacity. That has seen prices disconnect from Brent futures in London. Buyers in Texas are offering as little as $2 a barrel for some oil streams, raising the possibility that American producers may soon have to pay customers to take crude off their hands.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/oil-drops-to-21-year-low-with-storage-filling-as-demand-shrivels/ar-BB12Taj9

I read a article about a week ago that Putin was on the phone nearly everyday with Trump trying to head off a disaster in oil as world runs out of oil storage. Not only does he have to sell the oil for less he has to sell much less of it while the rest of his economy is in lock down. Now it is possible the worse is yet to come.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Oil near zero
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »
It was laughable when OPEC +Russia announced a 10% reduction in crude oil output, about two weeks ago.

The reality is there is 30% overproduction presently.

In the what it is worth department a gallon of gas in the NorthEast sells for $1,85 per gallon. Curious what is the price in your neck of the woods presently?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 07:53:13 AM »
The rag heads will just be selling or trying to sell camel shit as fertilizer in a few more years no one will want oil anymore..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Texan77

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 07:54:35 AM »
It was laughable when OPEC +Russia announced a 10% reduction in crude oil output, about two weeks ago.

In the what it is worth department a gallon of gas in the NorthEast sells for $1,85 per gallon. Curious what is the price in your neck of the woods presently?

Including taxes average $1.45 and the lowest place in town $1.18
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »
Curious what is the price in your neck of the woods presently?

Currently @ $2.20/gallon in NW PA.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online AvHdB

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:22:43 AM »
The rag heads will just be selling or trying to sell camel shit as fertilizer in a few more years no one will want oil anymore..

Think Steve of the upside, the inhabitants of Walmart will have a chance against the oil sheiks who now can only offer bags of camel shit to a Smokinhotova.  :-X

Offline Texan77

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
Another big down day for oil. I bet not even Russia can make money in this market.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/too-much-oil-how-a-barrel-came-to-be-worth-less-than-nothing/ar-BB12WpFo?ocid=msn360

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 03:22:44 PM »

Including taxes average $1.45 and the lowest place in town $1.18

If a US gallon at $1.18, that's 94p for 3.78 litres. I was over the moon today to find diesel at £1.09 a litre at Costco. That's $4.99 a US gallon.

Half a tank in a Range Rover at £37 ($45)? I was buzzing.  :chuckle:
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
I was over the moon today to find diesel at £1.09 a litre at Costco.

You paid that much at these oil prices??   :o

You're probably going to hate hearing this but I just ordered 4000 litres of diesel today at .67 Cdn cents/ litre, .38 of your funny money. Although that is with a farm discount which is usually about 12 cents lower than pump price.

Offline Texan77

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 03:46:41 PM »
If you read the article many drillers are having to pay someone to take the oil away. There is no storage for it. For what I could see futures dipped to ten dollars per barrow and closed around 12 but that oil is already in storage. I am expecting a big announcement soon about some major productions cuts.  I did not check to see what gas was selling for today, but we have seen gas down to 99 cents for a short while. We may see that again if this keeps up. Remember there is 34 cents of road tax in the gasoline price here.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »
Perhaps the Mystic one can call to the Kremlin and ask for a £100,000 and supertanker of crude oil?

Offline Texan77

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »
Likely no empty supper Tankers  to put the oil in. You might get the 100,000 pounds and the oil but you have to find the place to put it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »
Texan, Russian producers have some advantages over USAian ones.

Firstly, they can stop pumping!
Most USAian producers can't stop pumping. They need the cash flow to pay down their debts. Even if they make a loss they need the revenue.

Secondly, once a fracking well shuts down it is difficult to restart -can be done, but is very expensive so the profit goes away even if the price per barrel goes up to where it was a few months ago.

I am sure that Russian oil companies do not want to lose money and the government budget kinda likes having the tax revenues but they don't 'need' the money like the Saudis and the Americans do.

The discussions between Putin and Trump will not have been about the oil, except in so far as the oil leads to the bigger problem, the US dollar.

I'll leave it to the hive mind to figure out what that's all about and why Russia was OK with letting the oil price drop but absolutely did not want what happened yesterday happen - and it was, to repeat, not about the oil. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Texan77

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »
Texan, Russian producers have some advantages over USAian ones.

Firstly, they can stop pumping!
Most USAian producers can't stop pumping. They need the cash flow to pay down their debts. Even if they make a loss they need the revenue.

Secondly, once a fracking well shuts down it is difficult to restart -can be done, but is very expensive so the profit goes away even if the price per barrel goes up to where it was a few months ago.

I am sure that Russian oil companies do not want to lose money and the government budget kinda likes having the tax revenues but they don't 'need' the money like the Saudis and the Americans do.

The discussions between Putin and Trump will not have been about the oil, except in so far as the oil leads to the bigger problem, the US dollar.

I'll leave it to the hive mind to figure out what that's all about and why Russia was OK with letting the oil price drop but absolutely did not want what happened yesterday happen - and it was, to repeat, not about the oil. :)

In the USA the producers go broke and the bank sells the assets to someone else with deeper pockets.  They are stopping pumping because if cause to pump. The oil had a negative value. Putin will have that problem too.  Drillers going broke make the value of the dollar go up because it is short position in dollars. Banks going broke makes the dollar go up. Debt private business have drives the dollar higher and debt the government has drives the dollar down. Without understand the long and short position in the dollar it is no wonder you do not have any idea why the dollar keeps going higher.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 10:36:17 PM »
One dollar currently equals 77 rubles. Is anyone buying? 

Sorry my last post got stuck in the middle of someone else's post

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »

It’s all tax here.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 10:47:52 PM »
One dollar currently equals 77 rubles. Is anyone buying? 

Sorry my last post got stuck in the middle of someone else's post

Did before, may do so again: https://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,28729.msg506177.html#msg506177

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 01:43:48 AM »

Almost all of Western Europe does.

Germany = 1.15 / Litre diesel
Netherlands = 1.22 / litre diesel (Down from 1.49 just before covid hit).
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 03:18:40 AM »

It’s all tax here.

Wow. :o You guys are getting raked.  I just tanked up on mid-grade for $1.45/gallon (originally $2.35/gallon, but I had a $0.90/g credit from Stop & Shop), which works out to, what?  31p/litre?  (50p/L before the discount).  And that's before the 5.25% cash back on gas from my BofA card.  So that drops it to 29.4p/L  (or 47.6p/L). otherwise).

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 04:02:16 AM »

Wow. :o You guys are getting raked.  I just tanked up on mid-grade for $1.45/gallon (originally $2.35/gallon, but I had a $0.90/g credit from Stop & Shop), which works out to, what?  31p/litre?  (50p/L before the discount).  And that's before the 5.25% cash back on gas from my BofA card.  So that drops it to 29.4p/L  (or 47.6p/L). otherwise).

B/B

Are you talking about Petrol or Diesel here. In Netherlands, petrol is $0.20 more expensive per litre than Diesel.

Damn taxes.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 06:08:37 AM »

Are you talking about Petrol or Diesel here. In Netherlands, petrol is $0.20 more expensive per litre than Diesel.

Damn taxes.

It's t'other way around in the UK .. Diesel more expensive, normally more so in cold winters
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »

B/B

Damn taxes.

BB mentioned midgrade, so he is talking about petrol/gasoline

It's opposite here, petrol is cheaper than diesel. Yet there is more tax on petrol. Years ago we were like you though, my guess is that it changed because they can't dilute diesel like they can petrol without losing the potency needed to run transport trucks, trains, etc.  Before you use to be able to store a motorcycle over winter and 5 months later fire it up and it would run on the old petrol . Not anymore, you have to drain the old stuff and put new in because it is stale already, the bike wouldn't even start. The km/litre went down on it too, it's a lot lower quality than it use to be.

Offline sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 09:42:47 AM »

$1,37 in Dallas.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 09:54:07 AM »

B/B

Damn taxes.

BB mentioned midgrade, so he is talking about petrol/gasoline

It's opposite here, petrol is cheaper than diesel. Yet there is more tax on petrol. Years ago we were like you though, my guess is that it changed because they can't dilute diesel like they can petrol without losing the potency needed to run transport trucks, trains, etc.  Before you use to be able to store a motorcycle over winter and 5 months later fire it up and it would run on the old petrol . Not anymore, you have to drain the old stuff and put new in because it is stale already, the bike wouldn't even start. The km/litre went down on it too, it's a lot lower quality than it use to be.

Different countries have different regimes for taxing fuel. In the United States the taxing is up to the individual States.

In the Netherlands you pay a higher initial vehicle tax depending on the type of fuel you consume. Thus LPG is cheaper than either Diesel or Gas.

Bear in mind Diesel is far more refined than a generation ago. This is seen in the reality that a Diesel powered vehicle can win the 24 hours of LeMans.

Ethanol is mixed in with gas and this is what is fouling the injection (carboreters or electronic) systems. It is extremely damaging to marine engines. Big oil rules, and the rest pay.

Offline yankee

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »

$1,37 in Dallas.
$1.35/gal in Rockledge, Florida.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Registration