The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Mass Shooting in Canada  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Mass Shooting in Canada
« on: April 19, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »
A mass shooting in Canada? That's impossible! According to some members here, the USA is the only place in the world where a mass shooting could possibly occur. Looks like at least 13 are dead including a RCMP officer.  :GRAVE:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/19/portapique-shooting-nova-scotia-rcmp-canada
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Mass Shooting in Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 06:15:31 PM »
The RCMP officer was married with two children. Strength to those who lost loved ones.

Hopefully NS1 is safe, as is his family. He should be able to give us additional information.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:36:17 AM »
The number is up to 17 now and possibly more
as the search houses he set on fire and other places he went.

He had two mocked up police cars and uniform.
After killing officer he took her car, was pulling people over and shooting them.

Very early in the investigation.
There is nothing permanent except change.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 03:52:07 AM »
The number is up to 17 now and possibly more
as the search houses he set on fire and other places he went.

He had two mocked up police cars and uniform.
After killing officer he took her car, was pulling people over and shooting them.

Very early in the investigation.

Wow, fires too? Sounds like this guy was an exceptional lunatic. Hopefully no more bodies will be discovered.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:14:29 AM »
Only takes one lunatic with a guy with a gun to prove only the police should have them
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »
Only takes one lunatic with a guy with a gun to prove only the police should have them

How would you police the illegal ones then? They'll still be out there.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »

So you are the lunatic with a guy? I suspect you can tell us it is better than with a lamb.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »

Interestingly enough, in this particular case it appears that the perpetrator actually employed the technique of officer-impersonation to fool victims into a false sense of security. And frankly, even some of the actual LEOs aren't exactly upstanding citizens. All the more reason to prepare yourself with the proper knowledge, equipment and recurrent training to adequately defend your life and the lives of your family in this crazy world we live in. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »

How would you police the illegal ones then? They'll still be out there.

Most firearms have a licence  / a permit .. the issue is no will

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 03:06:52 PM »
Update as known for now.
Official 18 dead, 2 injured.
16 active crime scenes over 50km area.
First 911 call Saturday evening at 10:30 pm
ended 11;30 Sunday morning,

He was A Dartmouth Business owner ( Dentures)
but started almost 100km away in small village he owned a home and other properties.

Looks like started as premeditated, he had ex cop car he mocked up to use.
he had all or at least Partial RCMP uniform ( police)
Started in small community of 100 people more in summer as cottage area.
As stories come out you learn, but was considered respected business man who
donated time and money in a few communities.

As we are learning also very jealous, started with killing ex-wife and new boyfriend and child ( not clear who's)
He then lit neighbours house on fire, when they came out shot them, Husband, wife and 17 year old daughter.

First police officer on scene rammed his car, when got out shot and killed her, then stole her police cruiser and gun.
Shot another police officer, he is fine, was released form Hospital today.

Set 2 more houses on fire and and shot a few other people. some people believed to have died in fires,
not confirmed, if so more dead.

Then proceeded out of neighbourhood and randomly killed several people as he went.
Stopping several cars with police cruiser and walked up to window and killed person or persons in vehicle
then would set on fire, went to anther house in another community, ( not sure if know to him at this time)
killed husband and wife.

Pulled over another car, killed this person, set first stolen car on fire and left in SUV.
it ended at very busy gas station, with restaurants, coffees shops etc.
pulled into fuelling up where he shot guy just getting gas for car.

Police caught here, he shot at police, they shot and killed him.

I realize this is snapshot, but enough to understand, with at least 3 houses burnt to ground, area he travelled
still being checked, more deaths could be announced. Police believe started as premeditated and then become random.
Likely will never know all the answers. With so many crime scenes and still so many unanswered questions,
maybe a very long time till anyone has answers. This level of insanity will never have enough answers.

Personally we are fine, I do not at this point know anyone directly affected, but do know at least
3 people who are indirectly affected, meaning I know a few people ( not closely ) who had family killed.

This has now become the largest mass shooting in Canadian history. If you knew Nova Scotia, you would understand this.
If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere. I know we have all heard or maybe even said this before.
What happened in this case, can never be prepared for.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
Update as known for now.
Official 18 dead, 2 injured.
16 active crime scenes over 50km area.
First 911 call Saturday evening at 10:30 pm
ended 11;30 Sunday morning,

He was A Dartmouth Business owner ( Dentures)
but started almost 100km away in small village he owned a home and other properties.

Looks like started as premeditated, he had ex cop car he mocked up to use.
he had all or at least Partial RCMP uniform ( police)
Started in small community of 100 people more in summer as cottage area.
As stories come out you learn, but was considered respected business man who
donated time and money in a few communities.

As we are learning also very jealous, started with killing ex-wife and new boyfriend and child ( not clear who's)
He then lit neighbours house on fire, when they came out shot them, Husband, wife and 17 year old daughter.

First police officer on scene rammed his car, when got out shot and killed her, then stole her police cruiser and gun.
Shot another police officer, he is fine, was released form Hospital today.

Set 2 more houses on fire and and shot a few other people. some people believed to have died in fires,
not confirmed, if so more dead.

Then proceeded out of neighbourhood and randomly killed several people as he went.
Stopping several cars with police cruiser and walked up to window and killed person or persons in vehicle
then would set on fire, went to anther house in another community, ( not sure if know to him at this time)
killed husband and wife.

Pulled over another car, killed this person, set first stolen car on fire and left in SUV.
it ended at very busy gas station, with restaurants, coffees shops etc.
pulled into fuelling up where he shot guy just getting gas for car.

Police caught here, he shot at police, they shot and killed him.

I realize this is snapshot, but enough to understand, with at least 3 houses burnt to ground, area he travelled
still being checked, more deaths could be announced. Police believe started as premeditated and then become random.
Likely will never know all the answers. With so many crime scenes and still so many unanswered questions,
maybe a very long time till anyone has answers. This level of insanity will never have enough answers.

Personally we are fine, I do not at this point know anyone directly affected, but do know at least
3 people who are indirectly affected, meaning I know a few people ( not closely ) who had family killed.

This has now become the largest mass shooting in Canadian history. If you knew Nova Scotia, you would understand this.
If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere. I know we have all heard or maybe even said this before.
What happened in this case, can never be prepared for.

Great report, thanks for the additional information NS1. A true tragedy on Canadian soil. I've never been to Nova Scotia before, but would like to visit someday. Just last month I spent some time in Midland, Ontario on business and the people were friendly to a fault.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 09:19:12 PM »

Canada has laws against murder. The guy didn't obey that law. You think creating more laws would've changed the outcome?
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online Guile

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 01:28:30 AM »
People were murdering each other way before there were guns. think Cain and Abel.  lots of knife murders in the UK, should be ban knives now?

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »
Number at 19 now and
they found to more houses burnt
to the ground, expectations to find more yet.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »
Total count now at 22
this has really shaken the community.
Along with covid 19 which does not help
with family and friends not being allowed
to be together through a very trying time.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 10:26:36 PM »

Glad the shooter got killed.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 06:13:59 AM »
Canada has laws against murder. The guy didn't obey that law. You think creating more laws would've changed the outcome?

I KNOW controlling who has guns stops such wacko killing sprees ..   

Some nations have this 'thang' that it s a 'right' to carry such weapons and wackos, losers, etc., use them ....    Normally the 'response' is to buy more guns in case a wacko, loser etc., appears ...and they can save the day ..  :dh:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 05:22:05 PM »

Some nations have this 'thang' that it s a 'right' to carry such weapons and wackos, losers, etc., use them ....    Normally the 'response' is to buy more guns in case a wacko, loser etc., appears ...and they can save the day ..  :dh:

This man had an assault in 2002 and was banned from owning firearms.
when will people learn, criminals have no issues getting firearms.

Pot became legal in Canada last year, you know before that no one smoked it,
it was illegal  (:)

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 06:11:29 PM »

Exactly! Toronto had 490 shootings in 2019, a new record high. Yet you don't hear much about them because it's mostly done by gangs with illegal firearms, usually smuggled in from the US. After all, you don't want to be showcasing the fact that gun control isn't working to slow them down! And even important, the gang members are from a "diverse" culture, so we don't want to be spotlighting anything bad about them, because diversity is strength after all! Yet when one whack job goes on a spree like this every 20 years or so everyone is up in arms and screaming to ban guns. I can tell you right now that even if they totally banned all guns in Canada there would still be 100's of people shot each year by criminals, they will always be able to get ahold of guns.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 06:57:07 PM »

Some nations have this 'thang' that it s a 'right' to carry such weapons and wackos, losers, etc., use them ....    Normally the 'response' is to buy more guns in case a wacko, loser etc., appears ...and they can save the day ..

Since ms feels strongly about gun ownership, perhaps he can explain to the bears of Canada that firearms are now outlawed?

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »
Exactly! Toronto had 490 shootings in 2019, a new record high. Yet you don't hear much about them because it's mostly done by gangs with illegal firearms, usually smuggled in from the US. After all, you don't want to be showcasing the fact that gun control isn't working to slow them down! And even important, the gang members are from a "diverse" culture, so we don't want to be spotlighting anything bad about them, because diversity is strength after all! Yet when one whack job goes on a spree like this every 20 years or so everyone is up in arms and screaming to ban guns. I can tell you right now that even if they totally banned all guns in Canada there would still be 100's of people shot each year by criminals, they will always be able to get ahold of guns.

+1

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 12:25:40 AM »

I offer the UK as an example of a reaction to mass shootings ..

A wacko went into a school in Scotland and killed 16 school children and a teacher, injuring 15 others... in '96 ...  Andy Murray, future Tennis #1, was at the school that day.

As a result, private ownership of most handguns was outlawed.....   There's not been another shooting massacre, since these laws .

Are you suggesting Canada is 'different' ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
Re: Mass Shooting in Canada - the Paddy's wrong again.....
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 05:16:16 AM »

A wacko went into a school in Scotland and killed 16 school children and a teacher, injuring 15 others... in '96 ...  Andy Murray, future Tennis #1, was at the school that day.

As a result, private ownership of most handguns was outlawed.....   There's not been another shooting massacre, since these laws .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

Wrong again Moby.  :dh:

We had a shooting massacre in 2010 when Derrick Bird killed 12 people with shotguns and rifles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

We can still legally keep rifles and shot guns in the UK and if some idiot wants to commit another mass shooting in the UK, they can. A handgun might be easier to conceal but its not the only way to shoot someone, contrary to what Moby tries to tell us.

It's disingenuous of Moby to suggest that we've stopped mass shootings because of a ban on hand guns, that was a small part of it. Access to all fire arms is much more controlled and licences/guns are handed out on a much tighter suitability basis, for both retailers and consumer. You can still of course buy a military spec firearm in the UK and use it but the penalties are harsh and the likelihood is low.

Just meet up with some Romanian trash and buy an AK-47 if you really want. I for one cant wait for Brexit and these types won't be able to simply rock up with their criminal activity. Moby will of course try to find some obscure EU directive to help the scum out because we're all racists and its against their human rights....or something.  (:)

https://news.sky.com/story/gang-selling-ak-47s-bound-for-western-europe-10526393

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 05:39:44 AM »

Wrong again Moby.  :dh:

'again?' .. a mite disingenuous given your propensity to post tosh , but YES, I forgot this one .. 

We can still legally keep rifles and shot guns in the UK and if some idiot wants to commit another mass shooting in the UK, they can. A handgun might be easier to conceal but its not the only way to shoot someone, contrary to what Moby tries to tell us.

Moby IS telling you that no wacko can easily get hold of a rifle or automatic pistol, either ..

Now this is you being disingenuous in the extreme..'

It's disingenuous of Moby to suggest that we've stopped mass shootings because of a ban on hand guns, that was a small part of it. Access to all fire arms is much more controlled and licences/guns are handed out on a much tighter suitability basis, for both retailers and consumer. You can still of course buy a military spec firearm in the UK and use it but the penalties are harsh and the likelihood is low.

Er, when DID a massacre occur with hand guns or rifles since the legisilation ? ...

Take your time ...

Now rosco 'excels' himself,

Just meet up with some Romanian trash

??  Currently, if you've going to call anyone 'trash', you could label the Irish given some of 'em were behind the mass murder of Vietnamese in a lorry ... Why single out Romanians ? Are they famous illicit gun dealers ?  There was me thinking it was the Irish, Russians, Ukrainians, Chechens,lFolks from former Yugoslavia, Africa....

Here come's the 'Brexit' bollox..

I for one cant wait for Brexit and these types won't be able to simply rock up with their criminal activity.

?? Were Derrick Bird ( Cumbria) , Michael Ryan ( Hungerford) or Thomas Hamilton  ( Dunblane) citizens of was in the current EU ( i.e. non UK ) ? ...  Going by YOUR xenophobic outburst, Scots should be thrown out of Scotland and English out of England, because of wacko mass murderers ? ...

Moby will of course try to find some obscure EU directive to help the scum out because we're all racists and its against their human rights....or something.  (:)

Moby will simply remind you that the biggest suppliers of gus are the US, Russia, UK, ....

BTW, I thought the changing of a thread title was outside ToS ;)

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 09:33:58 AM »

Yes, even the media realizes it

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-illegal-guns-have-become-easy-to-buy-in-toronto

This year, Toronto Police have seized 448 firearms — guns that, according to Const. Victor Kwong, were confirmed through ballistics analysis to be “used in the commission of a crime.”

It’s out of control.

And now, from information revealed by Newstalk 1010 and popular host Yonah Budd, we now know these guns are not just being sold in dark places. Customers and sellers are going to a buy-and-sell zone just as if they were dealing in comic books or car parts.

In the Newstalk 1010 case, it was reported five guns were shown. There are many more out there.

And no handgun ban is going impact the business of criminals in the underground trade