The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: UK Government Business Reliefs  (Read 7795 times)

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
UK Government Business Reliefs
« on: March 23, 2020, 03:35:00 AM »
I'm about to start looking through the info regarding the eligibility of my business, given theres some financial support on the table from the UK government. Just wondering if any of you guys have done likewise?

A bit like the visa application process, there's a fine line between being self employed and a fully paid up Director of my Ltd company when it comes to this process.

I recall having a visa application knocked back any moons ago because the government considered me employed. I do hope that's the same now @ £2.5k/month.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: UK Government Business Reliefs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 04:02:27 AM »
I'm about to start looking through the info regarding the eligibility of my business, given theres some financial support on the table from the UK government. Just wondering if any of you guys have done likewise?

I thought it was just loans for businesses and a poxy £95 a week for others? I didn't look at it as I assumed it had strings. How do they calculate the self employed income, on last accounts?

I'm not terribly concerned if we have to close to the public, we can work behind closed doors selling online and ramp up the Amazon FBA. People with nowt to do and free money will shop online.  :nod:

I'm just looking at air freighting in a pallet of N95 masks. They should be a goer.....
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 05:38:50 AM »

A bit like the visa application process, there's a fine line between being self employed and a fully paid up Director of my Ltd company when it comes to this process.

I recall having a visa application knocked back any moons ago because the government considered me employed. I do hope that's the same now @ £2.5k/month.

Rosco

I have had to go back into work to sort stuff out after taking early retirement last year, but I still own 50% of the main business so need to look after my interests. I am actually classed as Self Emp being a Director of  and Shareholder of a few businesses, but also have employees in the main business, so as of 09.45am this morning, this is the situation as advised by my accountants.

Support for businesses through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, all UK employers will be able to access support to continue paying part of their employees' salary for those employees that would otherwise have been laid off during the crisis.

Eligibility

All UK businesses are eligible.

How to access the scheme

You will need to:
•   designate affected employees as 'furloughed workers', and notify your employees of this change - changing the status of employees remains subject to existing employment law and, depending on the employment contract, may be subject to negotiation.
•   submit information to HMRC about the employees that have been furloughed and their earnings through a new online portal (HMRC will set out further details on the information required)
HMRC will reimburse 80% of furloughed workers wage costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month.

HMRC are working urgently to set up a system for reimbursement. Existing systems are not set up to facilitate payments to employers.

If our business needs short term cash flow support, you may be eligible for a Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the VAT situation, Self Assessment and Income Tax situation,  this applies

Support for businesses through deferring VAT & Income Tax payments

HMRC have announced they will support businesses by deferring Value Added Tax (VAT) payments for 3 months. If you're self-employed, Income Tax payments due in July 2020 under the Self-Assessment system will be deferred to January 2021.

VAT

For VAT, the deferral will apply from 20 March 2020 until 30 June 2020.

Eligibility

All UK businesses are eligible.

How to access the scheme

This is an automatic offer with no applications required. Businesses will not need to make a VAT payment during this period. Taxpayers will be given until the end of 2020 to 2021 tax year to pay any liabilities that have accumulated during the deferral period. VAT refunds and reclaims will be paid by the government as normal.

Income Tax

For Income Tax Self-Assessment, payments due on the 31st July 2020 will be deferred until the 31st January 2021.

Eligibility

If you are self employed you are eligible.

How to access the scheme

This is an automatic offer with no applications required.

No penalties or interest for late payment will be charged in the deferral period.

HMRC have also scaled up their Time to Pay offer to all firms and individuals who are in temporary financial distress as a result of Covid-19 and have outstanding tax liabilities. To access time to pay and thus avoid interest and penalties please call 0800 0159 559.

I am being updated on this quite regularly and things are changing daily,  so will add more information here as and when I receive it.

Chris
Слава Україні

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:02:33 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share Chris. I'm in a reasonably fortunate position at present, with the bank topped up and ready for my April dividend. However, with lots of work literally just completed, I won't get paid unless everything pre-sold gets delivered and paid for from August-October. This is my main concern and it would adversely affect the income H2-Q4, causing issues this time next year.

With what's currently going on, I think its in my interest to see if there are any benefits going my way because nobody knows how bad or how long this will be. Particularly when employed blokes on £30k can sit at home and take £24k without a care in the world.

Most of the above I found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

And unfortunately, my accountant is presently attempting to return from a holiday in New Zealand as we speak.

I've bought premises from where I run the business from and this section interested me;

Support for businesses that pay little or no business rates
The government will provide additional Small Business Grant Scheme funding for local authorities to support small businesses that already pay little or no business rates because of small business rate relief (SBBR), rural rate relief (RRR) and tapered relief. This will provide a one-off grant of £10,000 to eligible businesses to help meet their ongoing business costs.

Eligibility
You are eligible if:

your business is based in England
you are a small business and already receive SBBR and/or RRR
you are a business that occupies property

There VAT situation doesn't bother me because it'll need paid anyway. The cash is in the bank so I'll just get rid.

As I say, right now we're in a pretty decent position but depending on the duration of the crisis and what shape the economy is in once we get back up and running, its all about working out how both the wife and I would be classed, as directors and if there's a cash handout on the small business scheme.

I just made the wife a director rather than an employee last month too!  :'(

I'll add to it here once I get more info from the accountant.  :thumbsup:

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 06:08:42 AM »

I thought it was just loans for businesses and a poxy £95 a week for others? I didn't look at it as I assumed it had strings. How do they calculate the self employed income, on last accounts?

I'm not terribly concerned if we have to close to the public, we can work behind closed doors selling online and ramp up the Amazon FBA. People with nowt to do and free money will shop online.  :nod:

I'm just looking at air freighting in a pallet of N95 masks. They should be a goer.....

I'm fairly certain its a cash handout rather than a loan. I first heard about it and assumed it would be a generous government loan at 2% or some bollocks but it appears to be free money.

As it stands, employed folks sent home to drink wine and watch Netflix get around 80% of their salary. Those with some get up and go, who run their own business get 90 quid a week - at least that's how it seems!!

I think you're in a fortunate position and you'll manage to ride out whatever comes your way. I'm more of a middle man/agent so I'm completely dependent on the brands & the retailers producing, delivering and paying their end of the deal. Most of its clothing so I think its going to be a slow few months. Money time is always winter anyway so I'm hoping this virus jogs on by summer!!

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 07:05:16 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share Chris. I'm in a reasonably fortunate position at present, with the bank topped up and ready for my April dividend. However, with lots of work literally just completed, I won't get paid unless everything pre-sold gets delivered and paid for from August-October. This is my main concern and it would adversely affect the income H2-Q4, causing issues this time next year.

With what's currently going on, I think its in my interest to see if there are any benefits going my way because nobody knows how bad or how long this will be. Particularly when employed blokes on £30k can sit at home and take £24k without a care in the world.

Most of the above I found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

And unfortunately, my accountant is presently attempting to return from a holiday in New Zealand as we speak.

I've bought premises from where I run the business from and this section interested me;

The government will provide additional Small Business Grant Scheme funding for local authorities to support small businesses that already pay little or no business rates because of small business rate relief (SBBR), rural rate relief (RRR) and tapered relief. This will provide a one-off grant of £10,000 to eligible businesses to help meet their ongoing business costs.

Eligibility
You are eligible if:

There VAT situation doesn't bother me because it'll need paid anyway. The cash is in the bank so I'll just get rid.

As I say, right now we're in a pretty decent position but depending on the duration of the crisis and what shape the economy is in once we get back up and running, its all about working out how both the wife and I would be classed, as directors and if there's a cash handout on the small business scheme.

The bit in red and then bold, I know someone who tells me he has already applied for this and received the £10k, I am trying to get hold of him again to confirm either way and if so how he did it.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 07:08:06 AM »

I'm fairly certain its a cash handout rather than a loan. I first heard about it and assumed it would be a generous government loan at 2% or some bollocks but it appears to be free money.

As it stands, employed folks sent home to drink wine and watch Netflix get around 80% of their salary. Those with some get up and go, who run their own business get 90 quid a week - at least that's how it seems!!

I think you're in a fortunate position and you'll manage to ride out whatever comes your way. I'm more of a middle man/agent so I'm completely dependent on the brands & the retailers producing, delivering and paying their end of the deal. Most of its clothing so I think its going to be a slow few months. Money time is always winter anyway so I'm hoping this virus jogs on by summer!!

As far as I know it is a cash handout, however, there are also Business Interruption loans for those who need short term cash flow support.

With regards the Employment and Wage subsidies and looking at packages introduced by other countries, I expect there will be strict criteria to be met.
Слава Україні

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 07:26:10 AM »

Eligibility
You are eligible if:

The bit in red and then bold, I know someone who tells me he has already applied for this and received the £10k, I am trying to get hold of him again to confirm either way and if so how he did it.

Thanks mate. I'd like to think I'm eligible but it seems too good to be true!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
Here's a generic update from my accountant, for those who may be interested.

From what I understand, we'll be entitled to 80% of our monthly PAYE, which is better than nothing but we pay ourselves minimum wage and top up via dividend. So that's about £1200 a month between us. I now need to investigate the £10k grant for our business.

"Dear Client

We want to let you know that we intend to carry on being able to provide you with the services you require and keep you up to date. We are able to do this whilst adhering to all the Government advice, and will be here to help guide you through the Government financial assistance measures very recently announced. We are sure you will have been following the announcements and we fully understand your worry and concern as this will affect your business. We have adapted our office working practices on a temporary basis and, following Government advice, we are asking clients to phone us rather than come into the office personally. If you have physical records you wish to hand in, we can make arrangement for this to happen.

The Government have announced assistance through the PAYE tax system to help pay employees if there is no work. This is expected to be in place by the end of April and will be backdated to the beginning of March.

Currently the Government have some assistance for the self employed. VAT payments are to be postponed for 3 months at this stage (until June 2020), along with the delayed payment of the July Payment on Account for self assessment tax until January 2021. We understand the returns themselves should be submitted within the usual deadlines however, so we will be asking for your records where appropriate.

The current advice is found at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

Scottish specific information regarding the Rates Relief and Grant Funding here:  https://www.mygov.scot/non-domestic-rates-coronavirus/

We will keep up to date on the implementation of these measures and how you can access this help. Links to Government help will be posted on our website. You can also phone the office on

Kind regards

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 10:12:21 AM »

Eligibility
You are eligible if:

I heard about this today. I've one place with an RV of over £15k so it looks like there is £25k forthcoming.

grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000

I've also another place that might qualify for the £10k as the RV is under £15k.

It does seem to be free money: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses

A free £35k sounds nice. I'd book a holiday if there was anywhere to go. :chuckle:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 10:29:28 AM »
Here's a generic update from my accountant, for those who may be interested.

From what I understand, we'll be entitled to 80% of our monthly PAYE, which is better than nothing but we pay ourselves minimum wage and top up via dividend. So that's about £1200 a month between us. I now need to investigate the £10k grant for our business.

Yes that's what we all do, have done for years, bit of a bugger now though isn't it, will work against us :(  I will be seeking clarification from my accountants as and when things start moving on this.

Still waiting for my contact to get back to me re the £10k grant.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 11:56:41 AM »

Eligibility
You are eligible if:

Thanks mate. I'd like to think I'm eligible but it seems too good to be true!

I've just spoken to someone else about this, he tells me it's available, (his is in the system) but it really depends on your LA, apparently, some LA's are on the ball and have the forms ready, others do not yet. I have checked with the LA where my office is and yep, they are not ready for it yet, need to keep checking back with them or on their website.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 06:27:28 AM »
Just a short update on some of the above for UK Co Directors

I was looking through the parliament.co.uk site today under Parliamentary Business, Publications and Records and came across this:-

Committee of the whole House: 23 March 2020   

Coronavirus Bill, continued

“Statutory self-employment pay

(1)   

The Secretary of State must, by regulations, introduce a scheme of Statutory Self- Employment Pay.

(2)   

The scheme must make provision for payments to be made out of public funds to individuals who are

(a)   

self-employed, or

(b)   

freelancers.

(3)   

The payments to be made in subsection (2) are to be set so that the net monthly earnings of an individual specified in subsection (2) do not fall below—

(i)   

80 per cent of their monthly net earnings, averaged over the last three years, or

(ii)   

£2,917 whichever is lower.

(4)   

No payment to be made under subsection (2) shall exceed £2,917 per month.

(5)   

A statutory instrument containing regulations under this section is subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.

Member’s explanatory statement

The purpose of this amendment is to make the Government ‘top up’ self-employed workers’ earnings to the lower of 80% of their net monthly earnings averaged over three years, or £2,917 a month.

--------------------------------

So I wasn't really sure how things stand with this, so I asked my accountant how we stand (my wife and I ) as Directors and Shareholders, are we classed as employed or self-employed?

This is his response, not that helpful and seems like accountants are in the same boat as us, waiting for the Government to get things together and make their minds up:-

Hi Chris

At the moment we don’t know. Directors are technically employees of the company, so should in theory be able to be furloughed (unless the government decide to specifically block this) but as in most cases will take a small salary, this is unlikely to be much help.

Regarding the self-employed, which normally you would not be classified as, we have not yet received any guidance at all. It may be that dividend income is allowed to be classed as salary for these purposes, but this is only speculation and doubtful. It could also mean that Directors are able to take increased salaries, but again this could also be blocked in the legislation.

Other than that, grants are available through the local authorities (in some circumstances) and government backed loans through your bank.

I will keep you posted as soon as I have more information.

He will update me when he knows more.
Слава Україні

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 08:15:20 AM »

Thanks Chris.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the self employed/directors thing. Last night after BJ's speech, we got Sturgeon on Scottish. I'm no fan but she spoke very well and mentioned that the self employed will be looked after.

Yesterday, my accountant participated on an online seminar and she felt that the current legislation was pretty ambiguous and it needed ironed out. In fact, as it was yesterday, employees would be covered but company directors wouldn't. It made no sense.

Today I completed the application form for the one off £10k grant. It's now available and can be claimed during the course of the next year.

There is a one off grant (not loan) available to businesses who receive small business rate relief.
It is claimed by a form and there is a year to claim it from now.

https://www.mygov.scot/non-domestic-rates-coronavirus/

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »

Thanks Chris.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the self employed/directors thing. Last night after BJ's speech, we got Sturgeon on Scottish. I'm no fan but she spoke very well and mentioned that the self employed will be looked after.

Yesterday, my accountant participated on an online seminar and she felt that the current legislation was pretty ambiguous and it needed ironed out. In fact, as it was yesterday, employees would be covered but company directors wouldn't. It made no sense.

Today I completed the application form for the one off £10k grant. It's now available and can be claimed during the course of the next year.

There is a one off grant (not loan) available to businesses who receive small business rate relief.
It is claimed by a form and there is a year to claim it from now.

https://www.mygov.scot/non-domestic-rates-coronavirus/

Yes it will be interesting, they will have to do something, I agree.  Good luck with the £10k grant, the LA where my office is based are still catching up, forms not ready yet.
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
Good luck with the £10k grant, the LA where my office is based are still catching up, forms not ready yet.

The government site said the LA will be writing to all business rate payers who qualify, so you dont claim it.

Guys the UK is officially on lockdown!! anyone affected? 

Doesn't impact us too much as online sellers aren't included. I am happy to work indoors. I am not fussed about no retail. Roads are nice and quiet.

Sorry, Manny

I should print that and frame it.

Offline Chris

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 11:15:54 AM »
Good luck with the £10k grant, the LA where my office is based are still catching up, forms not ready yet.

The government site said the LA will be writing to all business rate payers who qualify, so you dont claim it.

I know one LA who had the forms on their website, someone I know downloaded them and submitted them, not sure if that was online or manually though. They may well be writing also to businesses, they probably will do when you think about it.  How did Rosco get his?
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »

I know one LA who had the forms on their website, someone I know downloaded them and submitted them, not sure if that was online or manually though. They may well be writing also to businesses, they probably will do when you think about it.  How did Rosco get his?

Scotland may be different.

Ours says:

How to access the scheme
You do not need to do anything. Your local authority will write to you if you are eligible for this grant.

See >>here<<.

As it goes, I am in discussion with our LA about a business rates issue and I have asked that question of them too. I'll know more in a few days.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »

Scotland may be different.

Ours says:

How to access the scheme
You do not need to do anything. Your local authority will write to you if you are eligible for this grant.

See >>here<<.

As it goes, I am in discussion with our LA about a business rates issue and I have asked that question of them too. I'll know more in a few days.

What is an LA over there?

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 11:29:26 AM »
Local Authority, like City Hall.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »

The LA's are supposedly going to contact all business eligible but I don't trust them to fill in a pot hole. Here's the link I used to get the application form. You'll be able to see what's involved, at least via my LA;

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/downloads/file/7148/scottish_governments_coronavirus_business_support_fund_application_form_for_scottish_borders_editable_pdf

Offline Chris

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »

The LA's are supposedly going to contact all business eligible but I don't trust them to fill in a pot hole. Here's the link I used to get the application form. You'll be able to see what's involved, at least via my LA;

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/downloads/file/7148/scottish_governments_coronavirus_business_support_fund_application_form_for_scottish_borders_editable_pdf

So on their website as I stated, need the others to catch up now then. The form seems pretty straight forward.
Слава Україні

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 11:59:56 AM »
Thankfully the document is fairly manageable for government and quick to fill out, although they've still managed to slip in some council speak!!

It's like asking someone, are you not hungry, tick yes or no, rather than are you hungry?  :hidechair:

Offline Chris

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
Thankfully the document is fairly manageable for government and quick to fill out, although they've still managed to slip in some council speak!!

It's like asking someone, are you not hungry, tick yes or no, rather than are you hungry?  :hidechair:

:laugh: for the Goverment its not a bad first attempt  ;D
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 01:57:46 PM »
I'll know more in a few days.

Looks like if you pay rates by DD they'll pay you automatically via that method. If you dont, some LAs have a form on their site (Stockport and Trafford do) and some will be writing to confirm bank and other details next week (Manchester are doing that).

Looks like I *might* cop for £25k for one place that has a £16k RV and £10k for another that has a lower one. Which is nice. Also the self employed are getting something now, but its a percentage of declared income from the last tax year or something, which won't be a lot as most people dont declare that much as drawings. But owt is better than nowt. It's all basically free money whatever comes.

It's just a fast way to do quantitative easing if you ask me. But I'm not complaining. But I'm not counting the doh till its in the bank. They may attach some strings yet...