The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Has the Coronavirus Affected Your Travel Plans?  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Has the Coronavirus Affected Your Travel Plans?
« on: March 13, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »
We got back from a jolly in Spain, Gibraltar and Morocco a few weeks ago, just before the Coronavirus swept across Spain and Italy. I wouldnt book that trip today.

Wifeys folks have declined our invitation to visit us in April. They dont want to travel. The Russian media is pumping out lots of content advising people to stay in Russia.

I was hoping to have a business trip and jolly to North Korea, Taiwan and China in April. Not now. Taiwan isnt so badly affected, but North Korea have closed their borders to foreigners and we all know about China.....

Wifeys annual month long jolly in Russia in August is still up in the air. We need to see what the situation is nearer the time.

I’ve got staff who are already cancelling cruises and holidays for later in the year.

Are you changing your travel plans or are you happy just to take sensible precautions and travel anyway? Some people are gleefully booking flights from the UK to Italy for £45 return.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Re: Has the Coronavirus Affected Your Travel Plans?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
Our trip to crimea is in June. Not too worried yet 
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
I am planning a trip home to the UK in a few days but estonia has declared a state of emergency. They are putting people from 'outbreak areas' into quarantine when they arrive in Estonia. If the UK goes on the list then I will not go.

I think that people who are planning vacations at the moment are being foolish.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »

Wife and I was planning a road trip to an another State when she got a break from college classes. College was cancelled so now she's got a big break but we decided against the trip. I live in the county with the most infections and deaths in America. We have more deaths from the virus in our county than the rest of America combined but we aren't as bad off as Italy so we're not under lock down yet.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 10:15:57 PM »
Cancelled a trip to Italy,8 days ago, thank God..

SC is in Thailand and we are debating where she'll meet me .. plan WAS I'd meet her in France and I'd accompany her back to blighty - after last time ..

THEN I thought, F'it.. I'd go to Thailand for a week-10 days .. but she has to leave Thailand ( visiting Laos to renew her Thai visa for 60 days )  and now the Thai  govt  SEEMS to be ( temporarily) insisting RU nationals arrive with a visa - not being issued on entry (?!)

Don't want her flying into Moscow - as she MIGHT face 14 days self-isolation, by then..even though Thailand is FAR more switched on than the UK .. and numbers ( officially) way down on UK/Russia ..Temps taken and hands must be sanitised before entering shops, malls, etc.

Every day the rules change.. How to plan a trip, at all?

Friends in France hire Gites and all March / April cancelled ...UK and Ireland - most foreigners cancelling ( even UK folk)  breaks in March/ April and even May ..Thailand .. places closing due to lack of tourists ...  large sporting events cancelled ...NOT a good time to be in the tourist industry ..((

Even if one wants to travel ..it's near impossible..

PS It seems that the Thais are at pains to quash the 'news' that Russians need to have a Visa before arrival ..Not sure why this rule's been brought in ... applies to nations like Cyprus, Rep.Georgia and Mexico

http://www.thaiembassy.org/moscow/en/bulletin/6918/114891-Latest-news:-Russians-can-still-visit-Thailand-for.html

The latest news on the Thai Government’s decision to temporarily suspend visa on arrival (VoA) for 18 countries DOES NOT affect holders of Russian passports. Russians can still visit Thailand for 30 days without visa.

This is a prime example of the minefield of travelling at the moment

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Guile

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:07 PM »
Billy B how are things down there?  K County was hit bad, I wonder if people aren't taking precautions.  Here everyone is wearing masks and stuff.  Seattle is closing all schools.

I was in Burlington at the start of the year just before everything hit.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 01:36:02 AM »
We got back from a jolly in Spain, Gibraltar and Morocco a few weeks ago, just before the Coronavirus swept across Spain and Italy. I wouldnt book that trip today.

Wifeys folks have declined our invitation to visit us in April. They dont want to travel. The Russian media is pumping out lots of content advising people to stay in Russia.

I was hoping to have a business trip and jolly to North Korea, Taiwan and China in April. Not now. Taiwan isnt so badly affected, but North Korea have closed their borders to foreigners and we all know about China.....

Wifeys annual month long jolly in Russia in August is still up in the air. We need to see what the situation is nearer the time.

I’ve got staff who are already cancelling cruises and holidays for later in the year.

Are you changing your travel plans or are you happy just to take sensible precautions and travel anyway? Some people are gleefully booking flights from the UK to Italy for £45 return.

I’ve got staff who are already cancelling cruises   How much are you paying your staff!!!!

Im not cancelling anything.. In Moscow at the mo..not much virus around here.. July we have a concert to go to in Estonia I hope that is not going to be cancelled !!

I think Russia is the safest bet at the moment..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 01:58:00 AM »
My wife came back from Ukraine about 3 weeks ago, just prior to things starting to get worse, we were due to fly to Austria in about 10 days time, we cancelled that early this week, we have two foreign trips booked for May and June and I think those will have to be cancelled now, one was to Cyprus which is also affected, even though the FCO don't advise not to travel there yet, the Cypriot authorities are restricting flights etc there, TUi and Jet2 etc have cancelled lots of flights as of yesterday and for the coming weeks, so looks unlikely that one will go ahead anyway.
Слава Україні

Online Wiz

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 02:56:59 AM »
We visited Cyprus on teh 29 Jan for a week and it was very nice.... sunshine, good Greek food, fresh fruits from the trees.... etc.

We were planning to go to Corfu for Easter in April..... but not sure EasyJet will fly there or TUI.

Wife is booked an August flight to see mama....and family, (I am not going) .... but hope to visit Kos sometime in October.........

Not sure about anything anymore have to wait for later.

:(
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 02:57:51 AM »
I had a trip on a Cruise booked, that has been put off.
I then was going to use flights to spend a week in  Florida.
Not going, I just need to rearrange flights.

Not looking forward to that, all travel companies are getting
overloaded with calls. Funny you can book trips right now for about 20%
of normal cost lol.

Basically to limit this, don't go where you don't need to go.
The more people who travel, the faster it spreads.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 03:15:50 AM »

The more people who travel, the faster it spreads.

Not sure that applies anymore ...   Most infections in the UK are 'local' ...

BUT..

The Chinese are claiming the majority of new cases are sourced from returning folk from ...Europe / Iran ..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 06:57:16 AM »
Mystic, both cases can be true.
The UK government reckon that travellers now account for about 5% of the possible infections given the large amount of community infection in the UK.

In China where community infection is now very low again, the effect of travellers becomes relatively high.

Its a context thing.

----
I am kicking myself. The ticket I bought to come to the UK went from its normal €70 to €320. That was almost certainly due to the reduced service from other carriers. Because of that I bought at the high price - I didn't want to hang on and find that the flight sold out.

A few minutes ago the flight tracker I set told me the price had gone down to €65. I went to the site to confirm and the current price is €56.

While I am happy to have the flight and seat I wanted, I am fuming with myself for not hanging on!

I might try and csncel/rebook but I am pretty sure that their system will not allow that to happen.

Bugger, bugger, bugger!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 07:10:38 AM »
New Zealand has now stated that ALL incoming passengers will be forced to quarantine for 14 days...too bad if you only had a 2 week holiday planned, not so bad if you're a returning Kiwi.

Australian Prime Minister has "suggested" that Aussies reconsider non essential travel. The Australian Smart Traveller website only has level 4's (ie: do NOT travel) on China, Iran, Italy and South Korea. Europe is level 3

I have business tickets on Emirates booked for the son and I to travel to Dubai April 7, leaving April 17 for Bangkok, where we were planning to jump across to Siem Reap, Cambodia to see my youngest sponsor child before she graduates year 12. April is Australian school holiday time. The only schools currently closed in Australia have confirmed contacts.

I have a yearly travel insurance plan, but had not bought my son's travel insurance before the Pandemic was declared. My insurance will not payout unless Dubai and Bangkok are declared Level 4, currently level 3. His will not pay at all if we cancel. His next school holidays are early July.

The girlfriend who was flying in to join us from Kiev states Ukraine is locked down from March 17 for 3 weeks.
Timeline is looking fragile.

I guess I will wait until the week before to cancel, hoping that western infection rates will start declining as they now are in China and South Korea. Chances are my employer might ban me from travelling anyways, since I'm a frontline health provider. The son is urging me to continue the trip since he's hoping for a further 14 day holiday for self isolation from school :-)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
Billy B how are things down there?  K County was hit bad, I wonder if people aren't taking precautions.  Here everyone is wearing masks and stuff.  Seattle is closing all schools.

Most people don't wear masks when going out. People have limited their activities except when it comes to shopping for food. Lines are long especially after news reports bad news. I've prepared long ago. Other than sports being cancelled and laws to prevent large gatherings of over 250 people, life is normal but we are all worried it will get worse.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 10:26:42 AM »

Most people don't wear masks when going out. People have limited their activities except when it comes to shopping for food. Lines are long especially after news reports bad news. I've prepared long ago. Other than sports being cancelled and laws to prevent large gatherings of over 250 people, life is normal but we are all worried it will get worse.

Life is about the same in lower New England as depicted above.

All public schools are closed in Fairfield County. The church I attend has gone over to online services only, but this has existed for the congregation for 5 or so years. Traffic is lighter. Not much of a restaurant person so no idea on that front. The grocery stores and such are stocked, though certain items disappear quickly or are no longer available. Does anyone have any Grey Poupon?

It seems the majority have a wait and see approach. But I suspect and fear it is a very thin veneer
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »
My wife came back from Ukraine about 3 weeks ago, just prior to things starting to get worse, we were due to fly to Austria in about 10 days time, we cancelled that early this week, we have two foreign trips booked for May and June and I think those will have to be cancelled now, one was to Cyprus which is also affected, even though the FCO don't advise not to travel there yet, the Cypriot authorities are restricting flights etc there, TUi and Jet2 etc have cancelled lots of flights as of yesterday and for the coming weeks, so looks unlikely that one will go ahead anyway.

Cyprus ( Hellenic part )  has put up the shutters ...

Only Cypriots and folks with CY residency can enter - but must self-isolate for 14 days on arrival   ( plus a v.few exceptions - e.g, diplomats / UN  )

The UN designated crossing points are closed to all but Cypriots and legal residents ( plus a v.few exceptions - e.g, diplomats / UN  )

I'm 'on a break from caring for Ma - but I'm buggered if I'm going back to 14 days being locked up !   

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »

Cyprus ( Hellenic part )  has put up the shutters ...

Only Cypriots and folks with CY residency can enter - but must self-isolate for 14 days on arrival   ( plus a v.few exceptions - e.g, diplomats / UN  )

The UN designated crossing points are closed to all but Cypriots and legal residents ( plus a v.few exceptions - e.g, diplomats / UN  )

I'm 'on a break from caring for Ma - but I'm buggered if I'm going back to 14 days being locked up !

I thought that would happen, we will have to see if it's still the same in a month or so, but this could last for a while yet?

What you doing then, staying put in the UK?
Слава Україні

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »
We were thinking of a week in Phuket in May and then a summer vacation in Spain in July but impossible to plan anything now with all the travel restrictions in place and more to come, no doubt.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 01:55:45 PM »

I thought that would happen, we will have to see if it's still the same in a month or so, but this could last for a while yet?

What you doing then, staying put in the UK?

Really don't know WHAT to do ..

SC wants to come back to the UK, but I'm buggered if I'm going to let her try to enter the UK, without me - after last time ;)

I thought of meeting her in BE or FR ...  but things are looking dodgy and in FR despite Macron refusing to close borders - the govt is asking ppl to stay at home and Restaurants, bars and cafes will be closed ..

We are thinking that she'll either stay in Thailand ( complaining 'too hot' !) or I'll get her back into mother Russia and she can sit it out in Sochi ...not good to be apart .. but what to do ?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 01:59:44 PM »
We were thinking of a week in Phuket in May and then a summer vacation in Spain in July but impossible to plan anything now with all the travel restrictions in place and more to come, no doubt.

Strangely enough, there's never been a better time to go to Thailand ! It's 34 C - but feels hotter ..

There's no 2000 Bhat visa on entry fee for Brits ( temporarily suspended ) and as long as you've not been on the mainland of Europe - you'll be welcome .. 

They've had v.few new cases after the Chinese left .... 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 02:10:20 PM »
It'll certain screw up poor old Estonians as Latvia plans to close its borders on the 17th ..

https://estonianworld.com/security/latvia-is-closing-its-borders-amid-coronavirus-fears/

Poland is closing it's borders to foreigners - other than those with residency starting tomorrow, Sunday ....

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/coronavirus-poland-to-close-borders-to-foreigners-quarantine-returnees

Poor 'ol Estonians can still get in/ out via Russia and Finland ..... for now .

Freight will still be allowed to cross the borders

Offline Texan77

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »
The United States will be banning travel from the United Kingdom and Ireland beginning Monday at midnight, Vice President Pence announced Saturday afternoon, bringing the total number travel-restricted countries in Europe to 28.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »

We are thinking that she'll either stay in Thailand ( complaining 'too hot' !) or I'll get her back into mother Russia and she can sit it out in Sochi ...not good to be apart .. but what to do ?

You seem pretty mobile. Why not just both go to Russia for a while? Cases are not very high there and this is probably as good a place as any to spend some time in.

I suppose it depends how portable whatever you do for work is.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Guile

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »

You seem pretty mobile. Why not just both go to Russia for a while? Cases are not very high there and this is probably as good a place as any to spend some time in.

I suppose it depends how portable whatever you do for work is.

His Russian "visa" probably has expired.  And anyone entering Russia from certain countries need 14 day quarantine...for Moby that would be great time to self reflect. he should do a 14 day forum quarantine too  :ROFL: :ROFL:

Offline BillyB

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 05:40:10 PM »

The new norm will be short distance travelling. I just came home after eating at a restaurant I normally go to once a month. Across the street is a hotel that is shut down. I ask the waitress about it. She says it's been closed for two weeks and was to be turned into a hospital. The fact that it's still not being used after two weeks gives me hope we got decent control over the virus. If mass people are infected, they would be sick within two weeks and we would be using that hotel by now. This is in King County, WA which is currently the worst hit area in America.

I know guy who knows a woman that went in for a test a few days ago. Test results are instant and she went home right after.

Registration