The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: New Home..  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
New Home..
« on: October 11, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
We just bought a new home here business apartment right on the river , completion January 2021 though this building firm always complete the project 3/4 months ahead of schedule and we have already been told we should have the keys October next year..
Paid a big deposit and took three years credit on the balance directly with the building company, so we will only have 24 months payments left when we move in.
We bought the apartment just as a shell so around May next year as soon as we get access we will be sending in contractors to fit the floors, bathrooms and plastering that , that is all very easy..

The only real thing I miss from living by the sea in Dorset some years back was boating, this place will have boat parking outside eventually , and there is a marina just down the road.. so finally Im going to get myself a big boat soon enough:)
Will post some pictures next summer..

https://etalon-na-neve.ru

:travel:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: New Home..
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »
Congratulations on this big step onward and upward!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »
Congratulations on this big step onward and upward!

Onwards for sure.. Russia becomes visa free pretty well very soon, St Petersburg is this month I think there was 4000 online applications in the first day for the new e-visa.. I have been checking out the boating situation in the last year , there are few top end boat trips for tourists and what there are are not marketed very well I plan to fill some of that gap within a few months of moving.. trip down the Neva .. out to the Gulf of Finland then down to the new tower marina .. lets see.. :travel:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 02:24:36 PM »
Congrats, good luck with the venture.
Nice looking property when done.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 11:09:51 PM »
Congratulations!
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline justadude

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
Congrats! I have wondered about buying an unfinished shell. It seems to be a very popular concept in Ukraine, both for houses and apartments. How much do you think you would save going this route as opposed to buying a unit that is turnkey and ready to move in?

It seems like a great way to go for you but I think as someone who has little grasp of the language I would be better off buying a finished unit. Or no unit at all... :(
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
I would be better off buying a finished unit. Or no unit at all... :(

My advice is to live in a new place at least a year before buying
and that's in the USA. In Ukraine or other foreign country that is
doubly important. Until you know if you can even stand the place,
learn the language and live with the BS it makes far more sense
to rent.

After living in a place for a year or two you will know if you can
hack it, you will know your day to day living routine and what
places would be best to live based on that experience.

Even when you rent, you will find that you wished that you chose
a place closer to this or closer to that. It's far easier to correct a
decision when you rent

Udachi!

Bill

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »
Absolutely agree with that Bill.
As for buying, given that buying the shell is pretty much normal in this part of the world, as a foreigner, I'd be very much inclined to buy a place that I liked that was completed.

A friend of mine bought a house as a shell and it was a nightmare. The first purchase fell through before he even got to the fitting out stage and the second took forever and that was with a savvy wife well tied into the local ecosystem. It was much harder because neither of them had any experience with buying and fitting out a property. Also, of course, experience from the U.S will not help much when dealing with local requirements.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »
Construction work has come to a halt in Moscow ... for a month at least Im hoping it will not come here depending on the zombie virus!

We only got around 5 months till we move in to our new home now.. wife is alrady shopping online for stuff..

Offline Twinky

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »
Congratulation! I think it would very nice to live there :)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 03:23:38 AM »
We are finally on the last 3 months before we officially get the keys to our new place, it has been two years since we purchased the place.. We got Bob the builder and a few others finally ready to fit it all out  :)

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 03:37:05 AM »
We are finally on the last 3 months before we officially get the keys to our new place, it has been two years since we purchased the place.. We got Bob the builder and a few others finally ready to fit it all out  :)

You got one of the topish floor places, or much lower down...
Overlooking the river, or at the other flats...
Hope that it dosen't turn into a ghetto for you..
Well done...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 03:52:08 AM »

You got one of the topish floor places, or much lower down...
Overlooking the river, or at the other flats...
Hope that it dosen't turn into a ghetto for you..
Well done...

We are on the forth floor exactly on the corner of the front of the building ..next to the river..will put some photos up in a couple of months..

It will only be short stay wife already looking for another bigger place we plan to rent it out end of next year :laugh:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »
Got the keys to our new place a few weeks ago.. so were busy with Bob the builder at the moment sorting out fitting the place out.. made a nice profit on the place over 2 years. Wife already scouting around for the next project probably will live here 12/18 months then rent it out on Air&B if all goes to plan..

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 01:51:27 PM »
Congratulations Steve!! Looks fit for a king!  :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 02:25:54 PM »
Steve, how big is it?
It does not look like a shoebox!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 02:57:18 PM »
Steve, how big is it?
It does not look like a shoebox!

About 95 Square meters not to bad size but still not big enough really ..nearly all the apartments there are about 18-40,million roubles, so not a bad place, no riff raff. If all works out were planning to buy a place 130 square meters next not long after Christmas we have a place in mind ready 2023.  ;D

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 03:03:48 PM »

About 95 Square meters not to bad size but still not big enough really ..nearly all the apartments there are about 18-40,million roubles, so not a bad place, no riff raff. If all works out were planning to buy a place 130 square meters next not long after Christmas we have a place in mind ready 2023.  ;D

That's strange! Yours is a tad smaller than mine but it looks mahoosive! Is it pretty much an open-plan layout? I really like the internal finishing on these modern places, makes mine look like a hovel!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 05:23:19 PM »

That's strange! Yours is a tad smaller than mine but it looks mahoosive! Is it pretty much an open-plan layout? I really like the internal finishing on these modern places, makes mine look like a hovel!

Yes its like open plan for the sitting room and kitchen ..trying to find some good builders to do the work at the moment. Not easy they charge stupid prices like 1000 quid to render and plaster a small bedroom ready to paint, we had a few in last week and got a few more coming this week..everyone I know has had problems with builders  ;D

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 10:53:49 PM »

Yes its like open plan for the sitting room and kitchen ..trying to find some good builders to do the work at the moment. Not easy they charge stupid prices like 1000 quid to render and plaster a small bedroom ready to paint, we had a few in last week and got a few more coming this week..everyone I know has had problems with builders  ;D

Lovely Steve,
You may wish to consider covering the walls with plaster board (Gips karton), its much easier, faster, (should be cheaper) cleaner and straighter...
Also easier to finish with either/both paint and wallpaper..
It also adds a further level of warmth to the place...
HTH
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 02:00:46 AM »
Looks good Steve  :thumbsup:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 03:48:43 AM »

Lovely Steve,
You may wish to consider covering the walls with plaster board (Gips karton), its much easier, faster, (should be cheaper) cleaner and straighter...
Also easier to finish with either/both paint and wallpaper..
It also adds a further level of warmth to the place...
HTH

Probably rendering the walls ... We got heating under the floor also throughout..

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 02:45:02 AM »
Blimmey that time shot on by!! During that period there has been a Global Pandemic, a war in Europe ups and downs on the exchange rates like a bloody yo yo.. we never even got to finishing the renovations JUST incase some other shit happens..  :laugh:

But finally apartment is paid off .. dust has settled luckily not radioactive dust, and we can finally move on to finishing things off.

Good news is were onto our next project which is just 500 meters away from us, completion for the end of next year a studio apartment for rentals ..   https://setlgroup.ru/projects/astra-marine

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 05:35:03 AM »
Can you buy easily as a foreigner or do you have to have them in your wife's name?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2023, 02:04:17 PM »
Can you buy easily as a foreigner or do you have to have them in your wife's name?

No you can buy as a foreigner but not as easy as a few years back there are some temporary restrictions for unfriendly countries a few small hurdles. But if you have cash it's usually no problem as far as I know. Our last place wife bought in her name we only recently transferred to both of us, same for the next place.

Plenty of foreigners in this city still buying though.