The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: aircash @ sheremetyevo airport (Moscow)  (Read 2535 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
aircash @ sheremetyevo airport (Moscow)
« on: May 05, 2019, 03:22:11 PM »
An Aeroflot plane caught fire and emergency landed @ sheremetyevo airport.

13 Confirmed dead.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: aircash @ sheremetyevo airport (Moscow)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
To the families who lost loved ones, condolences.

The latest reports put the death toll at 48. It appears the plane was in flames before landing.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
A Sukhoi plane it says on Twitter. Apparently it circled twice and landed with the back end in flames I read. I think it said 78 on board. Some got off via the emergency slides.

An unusual thing about planes today. Wifey is quite tuned in to ‘the world around us’, shall we say. She was due to fly to Brussels this morning to meet her friend. She had been flip-flopping for several days and had kept deciding she wasn’t going, and then deciding she was; which is quite unlike her. This morning, she got the SMS that her flight was cancelled so she didn’t go. She was quite relieved to have a valid excuse to stay at home for reasons we didn’t understand. Then we heard about the plane crash, probably on some level, her flip-flopping was her picking up on that event happening today, even though 1000 miles away.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: AirCrash @ sheremetyevo airport (Moscow)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »
A Sukhoi plane it says on Twitter. Apparently it circled twice and landed with the back end in flames I read. I think it said 78 on board. Some got off via the emergency slides.

An unusual thing about planes today. Wifey is quite tuned in to ‘the world around us’, shall we say. She was due to fly to Brussels this morning to meet her friend. She had been flip-flopping for several days and had kept deciding she wasn’t going, and then deciding she was; which is quite unlike her. This morning, she got the SMS that her flight was cancelled so she didn’t go. She was quite relieved to have a valid excuse to stay at home for reasons we didn’t understand. Then we heard about the plane crash, probably on some level, her flip-flopping was her picking up on that event happening today, even though 1000 miles away.

I definitely believe this. Some people have a very highly developed sense of potential danger, shall we call it premonitions of potential danger associated with certain activities as they approach in time and in relation to their own plans.

Condolences to the friends and families of those who passed.

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:23:31 AM »
Around 40 dead it is reported. A short video is on RT here: https://www.rt.com/russia/458445-plane-fire-moscow-people-jumping/
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 07:05:39 AM »
Sad News when an aircraft goes down.....and people die!

My Condolences to their families.

:(
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »

News in America been saying 41 dead and now there's a report it was hit by lightning.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »

News in America been saying 41 dead and now there's a report it was hit by lightning.
Yes, according to the pilots they lost communication with the tower at a crucial time during landing because of their already big problems due to a lightning strike.

When communications were restored, all they could do is tell the tower to send out the firetrucks and other emergency personell.

If it hadn't failed they could have used SVO's landing instruments (ALS) instead of putting down by hand. This might have softened the blow and get more people out.

According to Dutch news, may Russians are outraged at some of the front-people who took their handluggage and trollies delaying the exits of people in the burning part.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »

Yes, according to the pilots they lost communication with the tower at a crucial time during landing because of their already big problems due to a lightning strike.

When communications were restored, all they could do is tell the tower to send out the firetrucks and other emergency personell.

If it hadn't failed they could have used SVO's landing instruments (ALS) instead of putting down by hand. This might have softened the blow and get more people out.

According to Dutch news, may Russians are outraged at some of the front-people who took their handluggage and trollies delaying the exits of people in the burning part.

Mark.

It seems a contributing issue was the aircraft was fully loaded with fuel. This could have contributed to the 'bounce' that has been reported.

On one of the videos you can see people with carry on luggage running from the burning aircraft.  :sick0012:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot