The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia Passes Legislation Banning 'Disrespect' of Authorities and 'Fake News'  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/03/07/russia-passes-legislation-banning-disrespect-of-authorities-and-fake-news-a64742

Moby  ;D

A bit slow there, Steveboy

I mentioned this new law about two weeks ago...

If you show some positivity...all is good, apparently.

Even you must now realise the lunatics are running the asylum...but it is for the good of the people...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

If you show some positivity...all is good, apparently.

You better start posting some positive stuff to counter your Kremlinphobia and fake news in the linked topic in your signature.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
New Russian bill introduces punishment for insulting the state
Critics see the legislation as part of Kremlin efforts to stifle criticism and tighten control.

During Thursday’s debates, Communist lawmaker Alexei Kurinnyi warned that the authorities
could use the “fake news” bill to punish critics.

Valery Gartung of the Just Russia faction also criticized the legislation, saying its vagueness
will open the way for selective interpretation.

https://apnews.com/deee15f58b824168b9491ad068821605
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

You better start posting some positive stuff to counter your Kremlinphobia and fake news in the linked topic in your signature.

Let's be honest... not too much to be 'positive' about  such legislation and how it will be used ..

However, a sycophant might highlight his support for such laws by behaving EXACTLY like you...

You post v.little positive about life in the UK and no one will care... 

Your response raised a smile this end...given tbe irony you miss...

Offline Manny

Your response raised a smile this end...

I am very sure you were sat with at least a dozen fluent English Russian guys who were on the floor laughing at my comment.....

I’d be disappointed if it least two of them were not peers of the realm....
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

I am very sure you were sat with at least a dozen fluent English Russian guys who were on the floor laughing at my comment.....

I’d be disappointed if it least two of them were not peers of the realm....

As ever, you seek to deflect from my point.

Peers of the realm have v.little influence in the Kremlin, but a good friend of mine  was with Prime Michael in Sochi ..just before the Skripal incident and he ( the Prince) speaks perfect English....

I was in the company of Georgians...I am in Batumi.. GEORGIA..

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Bill to route internet through Russian servers spurs protest
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
The sanctioned rally on Sunday was organized in response to a bill in parliament that
would route all internet traffic through servers in Russia, making virtual private
networks (VPNs) ineffective.

Advocates say the bill is intended to address concerns that Russia could be cut off
if the United States applies a new cybersecurity doctrine in an offensive maneuver.

Read all about it here
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/bill-route-internet-russian-servers-spurs-protest-61591279

There is a very similar story here from the Associated Press
https://www.apnews.com/4fca3b6e7f884d07bc77806a88147cf0

There is another similar story from the Japan Times, note how all three
stories have nearly the same title. It's almost as if they were coordinating their reporting
Neutralizing VPNs: Bill to route internet through Russian servers spurs protests
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/03/11/business/tech/neutralizing-vpns-bill-route-internet-russian-servers-spurs-protests/#.XIaiuShKhdg
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Bill, there have been quite a few cases of this happening in the past year or so.

However, there might be a simple and innocent explanation. If the original story came from a news agency then it will have been written as a finished story and then sub-editors would rewrite headlines and possibly body copy.

These days there are far fewer copy editors as a result of budget cuts at most newsdesks and so it is more common to see stories that have had only the most cursory rewriting work performed meaning that stories are tending toward the uniform.

Here, we can see that both articles are wire stories and so this is quite likely given that the second is from AP which is a press/wire agency.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Re: Bill to route internet through Russian servers spurs protest
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
The sanctioned rally on Sunday was organized in response to a bill in parliament that
would route all internet traffic through servers in Russia, making virtual private
networks (VPNs) ineffective.
Scare-news, VPN's will continue to operate no matter what routers lie in between.
Thats the whole concept of a VPN. The "in between" routers cannot listen to the encrypted traffic.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
The VPN 'intercept' is pure bollox as Markje points out.

As is ANYONE  who writes that this is to stop the USA cutting off RU access to the internet...

Those marching understand the REAL reason...CONTROL of those within..

Effectively, The Kremlin seeks to create an intranet and chose how to route traffic.

If it prevents DNS traffic from serves outside its control then using a VPN will make not diiference....the traffic will not leave Russia.

This will effect most normal phone calls ..as they are routed by IP meaning a call from the US only become a TELEPHONE call when it has arrived in Russia.

Excuse the lay terminology..but some of ojr readers do not even have an Editor to check the veracity of their IT deficient ramblings..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Hands hp who knows how the internet came about ?

The US probably DID try to cut off Iran from the internet and the very reason ARPANET came into being was proven.

Internet 101..lesson endeth.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
Hands hp who knows how the internet came about ?

The US probably DID try to cut off Iran from the internet and the very reason ARPANET came into being was proven.

The original intent for the creation of the internet was to allow for continued connection between computers located at distant locations during a nuclear war.  You could continue to plan strategy as the situation at the other locations are communicated to you.  It was not created to be used as a social gathering site nor an e-commerce hub.  Nor to discuss how to successfully date other people.   ??? :chuckle:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

Hands up who knows how the internet came about ?

quote author=dcguyusa link=topic=27848.msg491179#msg491179 date=1552692400]

The original intent for the creation of the internet was to allow for continued connection between computers located at distant locations during a nuclear war.  You could continue to plan strategy as the situation at the other locations are communicated to you.  It was not created to be used as a social gathering site nor an e-commerce hub.  Nor to discuss how to successfully date other people.   ??? :chuckle:
[/quote]

Yup. You got what ARPANET was and why what evolved....the internet..is hard to disconnect a nation from...unless that nation wants to be disconnected...

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
The VPN 'intercept' is pure bollox as Markje points out.

As is ANYONE  who writes that this is to stop the USA cutting off RU access to the internet...

Those marching understand the REAL reason...CONTROL of those within..

Effectively, The Kremlin seeks to create an intranet and chose how to route traffic.

If it prevents DNS traffic from serves outside its control then using a VPN will make not diiference....the traffic will not leave Russia.

This will effect most normal phone calls ..as they are routed by IP meaning a call from the US only become a TELEPHONE call when it has arrived in Russia.

Excuse the lay terminology..but some of ojr readers do not even have an Editor to check the veracity of their IT deficient ramblings..

Is that possible for them to switch the internet off for a whole country? If so who the *** gave them the god dam right to do that!
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages

Is that possible for them to switch the internet off for a whole country? If so who the *** gave them the god dam right to do that!
The government can't prevent internet-routing, unless every other country agrees. If there is only 1 country with a direct line to Russia that allows russia, the internet allows it. but american websites can be ordered (or voulentary) refuse to serve Russian ip-addresses.

Of course, Russians can also use VPN's to mask their IP.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
It is absolutely possible to disconnect the TLD .ru from the Internet and it is this concern that has led to Russia seeking a solution that would enable Russian Internet functionality in such a case.

Given that control over TLDs is handled by a Californian non-profit corporation, subject to U.S. and California law it is certainly a possibility and, in the case of war an inevitability.

Russia has taken the not unreasonable decision to enable duplication of the entire Russian namespace so that, if needed, Russian Internet connectivity would still function. From the article linked below it seems that doing so would also enable access to other TLDs but that Russian users could not access both the Russian Internet and the Global Internet at the same time.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/could-russia-really-build-its-own-alternate-internet

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
It is absolutely possible to disconnect the TLD .ru from the Internet and it is this concern that has led to Russia seeking a solution that would enable Russian Internet functionality in such a case.

Given that control over TLDs is handled by a Californian non-profit corporation, subject to U.S. and California law it is certainly a possibility and, in the case of war an inevitability.
Right now it is, but the master-root-servers are spread around the globe and not all of them in 'america-friendly' internet spots.

If the ICANN is suddenly dropping .ru , i am sure many of the RU-friendly ones will not obey and simply keep serving .ru. Default configured DNS servers such as linux-bind will simply find .ru from another root-server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_name_server#/media/File:Root-current.svg

Here's a nice picture , so Moscow itself already has a root-DNS server.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
Mark, I agree with what you are saying but for the Russians, given that so much of what we all do relies upon Internet connectivity, what they are doing is, for them, a reasonable precaution. Even when the system is resistant, as Russia's is, due to its level of connectivity, the disruption would be significant - and in this regard, Olga and Igor not being able to access Facebook is not the level of consideration. This is about military connectivity; transport, financial and commercial connectivity and disruption avoidance.

Russia has conducted tests to ascertain how well connectivity within the Russian Federation functions in the case of a TLD shutdown and they continue the work.

This is not about creating a Great Firewall of Russia, but about maintaining essential services in case of attack.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

This is not about creating a Great Firewall of Russia, but about maintaining essential services in case of attack.

'Sure'...all those protests (  by Russians throughout Russia)
 were 'ignorant people and trouble makers'...

At least now I see who is posting fake news..AND proving ignorance of how the internet works..

Fact...this about cutting Russians off from the outside world..if the Kremlin decides it is in the 'public interest'

The Kremlin have a history of trying to control Comms and the Telegram banning debacle must still smart...

That can be done.. N.Korea have done it..