The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: De-Dollarisation.  (Read 108220 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: De-Dollarisation.
« Reply #1300 on: July 10, 2022, 01:21:41 PM »

I think it best not to use the 'hitler' comparison as it is a distraction and doesn't address the actual facts in this case.  This situation is not analogous to Nazi Germany.   

Jonas!

We use the Hitler comparison because everyone knows who he was and what he did.  Many people would not know who Joseph Stalin and Robert Mugabe were or the extent of their crimes.

Doesn't really matter. Putin is most certainly not Mugabe. Jury here is still out on the Stalin comparison.

Stalin overall did not care one bit about his troops, as long as the battle was won. He also was comfortable delegating stuff to his subordinates when they did not disappoint them (unlike hitler, if he had listened to his generals the war would be far longer and costlier for the Allies).
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #1301 on: July 10, 2022, 01:29:03 PM »
BOT ... Dollar is quite strong currently and Gold and Silver the traditional safe havens especially compared to stocks, bonds and cryptos, have dropped rather dramatically.  Keeping my powder dry till all asset classes bottom...  Been investing in Concealed Carry 2A sidearms and long range target rifles with scopes if the SHTF and need to hunt for meats, fowl birds and deer etc... not to proud to eat hillbilly varmints and small game as well if it gets bad enough.

2:15 PM PDT gold price for July 08, 2022:
Gold $1743.12/oz

2:15 PM PDT silver price for July 08, 2022:
Silver $19.34/oz

Courtesy: Zerohedge.com, Bloomberg

Think about what's really happening here. For the first time since central banks changed the rules of the game in 2008 by becoming major buyers of bonds and mortgages and deliberately lowering interest rates to artificially-low ZIRP and NIRP policies, we have no central banker in the world that is dovish.

Inflation is out of the bag, and Wall Street understands that it would be politically impossible to be dovish in today's world.

Therefore, the dollar's strength projects the notion that we are moving from hyperinflation (in American standards) to disinflation.

The money supply will contract, less mortgages will be originated, and less corporate debt will be issued.

Gold is falling because the dollar is becoming scarcer.

We believe this process will end within 90-120 days, with gold puking one final time before forming its bottom.

LOL "Gold Puking" is a new technical analysis term to me!

Offline Jonas!

• Spouses Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #1302 on: July 10, 2022, 01:35:35 PM »

I think it best not to use the 'hitler' comparison as it is a distraction and doesn't address the actual facts in this case.  This situation is not analogous to Nazi Germany.   

Jonas!

We use the Hitler comparison because everyone knows who he was and what he did.  Many people would not know who Joseph Stalin and Robert Mugabe were or the extent of their crimes.

Harkening back to  "Hitler" or 'Stalin' doesn't actually address a specific issue in 2022.   
I don't believe Putin was looking to 'conquer the world' in any way....but Ukraine wasn't going to go into Western orbit without a serious fight.   

Jonas! 

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #1303 on: July 10, 2022, 03:35:28 PM »

Jonas!

Harkening back to  "Hitler" or 'Stalin' doesn't actually address a specific issue in 2022.   
I don't believe Putin was looking to 'conquer the world' in any way....but Ukraine wasn't going to go into Western orbit without a serious fight.   

Jonas!

I agree I doubt even Putin would be dumb enough to think he could conquer the world. Of course I also doubt Hitler thought he could conquer the world and have a 1K year Reich. This was simply Nazi propaganda.

OTOH Putin probably believed before his disastrous war in Ukraine he could have stymied and even prevented the expansion of the EU and NATO on his borders.

If conquering Ukraine had been the catwalk Putin believed it to be, IMO he could have then moved on to take Moldova. If Ukraine had been a catwalk, Moldova with its limited military would have been even easier to conquer. While finishing conquering Ukraine, Putin could have been moving troops and supplies into Transnistria ready to take Moldova. The ethnic Russians in Transnistria would be happy to be part of Russia and would have flocked to join  the Russian military

After taking Moldova IMO Putin would have moved on to the country of Georgia. The 2008 Russo-Georgian War left Russia with two self proclaimed republics of South Ossetia and Abkhazia that want to be part of Russia. If Putin conquered Georgia and folded it into Russia Putin would be a hero in Russia.

Putin would also have regained territory lose when the USSR collapsed and even more important he would have prevented the three countries from joining the EU and NATO. Plus he would have shown the world Russia is a super power. All major wins for Putin.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Jonas!

« Reply #1304 on: July 10, 2022, 04:14:06 PM »

Jonas!

Jonas!

I agree I doubt even Putin would be dumb enough to think he could conquer the world. Of course I also doubt Hitler thought he could conquer the world and have a 1K year Reich. This was simply Nazi propaganda.

OTOH Putin probably believed before his disastrous war in Ukraine he could have stymied and even prevented the expansion of the EU and NATO on his borders.

If conquering Ukraine had been the catwalk Putin believed it to be, IMO he could have then moved on to take Moldova. If Ukraine had been a catwalk, Moldova with its limited military would have been even easier to conquer. While finishing conquering Ukraine, Putin could have been moving troops and supplies into Transnistria ready to take Moldova. The ethnic Russians in Transnistria would be happy to be part of Russia and would have flocked to join  the Russian military

After taking Moldova IMO Putin would have moved on to the country of Georgia. The 2008 Russo-Georgian War left Russia with two self proclaimed republics of South Ossetia and Abkhazia that want to be part of Russia. If Putin conquered Georgia and folded it into Russia Putin would be a hero in Russia.

Putin would also have regained territory lose when the USSR collapsed and even more important he would have prevented the three countries from joining the EU and NATO. Plus he would have shown the world Russia is a super power. All major wins for Putin.
I believe all this conjecture isn't accurate about attacking other countries.   I actually think the odds are higher now that Putin would go for more territory given the dust up the West has helped foment.   

Jonas! 

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #1305 on: July 10, 2022, 04:30:19 PM »

Jonas!

Jonas!

I believe all this conjecture isn't accurate about attacking other countries.   I actually think the odds are higher now that Putin would go for more territory given the dust up the West has helped foment.   

Jonas!

Jonas you just said "Ukraine wasn't going to go into Western orbit without a serious fight." The same reasons for invading Ukraine also apply to Moldova and Georgia. Georgia is on Russia's southern border and very much wants to join the EU and NATO.

Moldova accepting that Transnistria is Russian territory, is also on the Russian border and also wants very much to be a member of the EU and NATO.

IOW the same reasons that Putin invaded Ukraine also apply to Moldova and Georgia. Are you saying Putin would invade and conquer Ukraine but allow Moldova and Georgia to join the EU and NATO?

As for Russia and NATO clashing on the battlefield just imagine a Russian tank battalion driving across a battlefield and running into a NATO tank battalion.

The Russian battalion tank commander would take one look at the NATO tank battalion and say to his men "Boys we f*cked up badly. Let's do a 180 and hit the gas." then he'd get on his cell phone call his mother and say "Mom I'm coming home. Open the garage door so I can hide the tank."   
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline Jonas!

« Reply #1306 on: July 10, 2022, 04:45:02 PM »

IOW the same reasons that Putin invaded Ukraine also apply to Moldova and Georgia. Are you saying Putin would invade and conquer Ukraine but allow Moldova and Georgia to join the EU and NATO?

maybe the west learned not to bother with certain states...and leave things as they are.

Jonas!

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #1307 on: July 10, 2022, 05:08:24 PM »

maybe the west learned not to bother with certain states...and leave things as they are.

Jonas!

Georgia is still actively involved in getting EU and NATO membership. Moldova just applied for EU membership. Although neutrality is enshrined in Moldova's constitution some analysts says there are ways to reverse that and allow Moldova to apply for NATO membership or at a minimum much closer ties with NATO.

https://www.rferl.org/a/moldova-russian-threat-neutrality-invasion-ukraine/31868367.html

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1308 on: July 11, 2022, 02:28:36 AM »

Jonas!

Georgia is still actively involved in getting EU and NATO membership. Moldova just applied for EU membership. Although neutrality is enshrined in Moldova's constitution some analysts says there are ways to reverse that and allow Moldova to apply for NATO membership or at a minimum much closer ties with NATO.

https://www.rferl.org/a/moldova-russian-threat-neutrality-invasion-ukraine/31868367.html

I can’t see either of them getting into the EU any time soon but if that’s true, thank god the UK left. More spongers needing my tax to make their lives better.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #1309 on: July 11, 2022, 09:51:08 AM »

Jonas!

I can’t see either of them getting into the EU any time soon but if that’s true, thank god the UK left. More spongers needing my tax to make their lives better.

Rosco you really think you're out of the EU? The ECHR is still making it next to impossible for the UK to deport anyone in the UK illegally. The illegals are still racing across the channel sometimes at the rate of hundreds per day and the UK is accepting them all.

The EU is demanding tens of billions of dollars as part of the final settlement for Brexit. If Labour gets in it's a given that the UK will be on the road back to membership in the EU or much closer ties to the EU that will eventually lead to membership in the EU if Labour manages to stay in power for a couple of elections.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1310 on: July 11, 2022, 10:13:25 AM »

Jonas!

Rosco you really think you're out of the EU? The ECHR is still making it next to impossible for the UK to deport anyone in the UK illegally. The illegals are still racing across the channel sometimes at the rate of hundreds per day and the UK is accepting them all.

The EU is demanding tens of billions of dollars as part of the final settlement for Brexit.

WestCoast, do you really think that the ECHR is the same as the EU? If you're going to bring up stuff like this, google first to avoid looking silly. The ECHR is a completely different legal system to the EU. The ECHR and its court are part of the Council of Europe, which has 47 member states, including Russia and the UK. The EU, on the other hand, consists of 27 Member States.

You might want to take a seat here because here's more big news for you. The UK is still in Europe too!!

If Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia become EU members over the coming 3-5 years, billions will be getting poured into these 3rd world places to bring them up to standard. Business and employment from hard working EU countries will get bogged down with bureaucracy and red tape so the transfer of industry and GDP is sent to the crap places. It's what the EU does.

What's your point about illegals? I dont recall mentioning them and they certainly wont be allowed to walk into the UK and start receiving benefits anymore. Brexit stopped that. So whats your point other than seeking a silly argument?

And whilst we are still tangled/de-tangling from the decades of membership, we will no longer be NET contributors funding the EU. So no, we wont be getting shafted for any new 3rd world countries and it'll be down to the 5 or so current contributors to cough up more.....hence my original point.

That's why I said;

Keep up please, this gets really boring.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #1311 on: July 11, 2022, 01:45:54 PM »

Jonas!

The EU is demanding tens of billions of dollars as part of the final settlement for Brexit.

WestCoast, do you really think that the ECHR is the same as the EU? If you're going to bring up stuff like this, google first to avoid looking silly. The ECHR is a completely different legal system to the EU. The ECHR and its court are part of the Council of Europe, which has 47 member states, including Russia and the UK. The EU, on the other hand, consists of 27 Member States.

You might want to take a seat here because here's more big news for you. The UK is still in Europe too!!

If Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia become EU members over the coming 3-5 years, billions will be getting poured into these 3rd world places to bring them up to standard. Business and employment from hard working EU countries will get bogged down with bureaucracy and red tape so the transfer of industry and GDP is sent to the crap places. It's what the EU does.

What's your point about illegals? I dont recall mentioning them and they certainly wont be allowed to walk into the UK and start receiving benefits anymore. Brexit stopped that. So whats your point other than seeking a silly argument?

And whilst we are still tangled/de-tangling from the decades of membership, we will no longer be NET contributors funding the EU. So no, we wont be getting shafted for any new 3rd world countries and it'll be down to the 5 or so current contributors to cough up more.....hence my original point.

That's why I said;

Keep up please, this gets really boring.

The cost of divorce from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/51110096

UK still trying to get out of the ECHR but not yet succeeding
https://www.dw.com/en/uk-unveils-bill-to-overrule-european-human-rights-decisions/a-62224093

Benefits being paid to asylum seekers and failed asylum seekers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/report-on-review-of-cash-allowance-paid-to-asylum-seekers/report-on-review-of-weekly-allowances-paid-to-asylum-seekers-and-failed-asylum-seekers-2021

Rosco do you actually read the news in the UK or are you like Andy and just make stuff up and think it's true?

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1312 on: July 11, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
That’s got zip to do with the original comment or the discussion that followed. Are you that pathetic that you’ll try and bait an argument with anyone willing to give you some of their time?

I’m glad we’re out the EU because if more 3rd world countries join it’ll cost the NET contributors big £££.

The ECHR is not the EU.

Asylum seekers landing landing in the UK isn’t because we left the EU.

WasteCoat is brain dead and may be related to Moby.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #1313 on: July 11, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »
That’s got zip to do with the original comment or the discussion that followed. Are you that pathetic that you’ll try and bait an argument with anyone willing to give you some of their time?

I’m glad we’re out the EU because if more 3rd world countries join it’ll cost the NET contributors big £££.

The ECHR is not the EU.

Rosco one of the main reasons the UK wanted to leave the EU was because then the UK would have control over their immigration.

Has that happened? No. The asylum seekers keep crossing the Channel sometimes by the hundreds in a week. You can't deport the asylum seekers crossing the Channel because the ECHR says so. The UK wants out of the ECHR but according to most reports that won't happen which means any idea of the UK controlling its own immigration is an illusion.

The UK will be paying billions for decades to come to finalize Brexit although if Labour is in power for a few elections the UK will probably be back in the EU before the UK finishes paying.

Was Brexit for nothing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #1314 on: July 11, 2022, 08:19:12 PM »
This Fed Will Be Behind The Inflation Curve
For "At Least A Decade"
: Mark Spiegel

Mark sounds off in his latest letter about the state of the Fed trying to catch up to inflation and his neverending Tesla short.

Friend of Fringe Finance Mark B. Spiegel of Stanphyl Capital released his most recent investor letter last week, with his updated take on the market’s valuation and Tesla.

Mark is a recurring guest on my podcast and definitely one of Wall Street’s iconoclasts. I read every letter he publishes and only recently thought it would be a great idea to share them with my readers.

Like many of my friends/guests, he’s the type of voice that gets little coverage in the mainstream media, which, in my opinion, makes him someone worth listening to twice as closely.

Friend of Fringe Finance Mark B. Spiegel of Stanphyl Capital released his most recent investor letter last week, with his updated take on the market’s valuation and Tesla.

Mark is a recurring guest on my podcast and definitely one of Wall Street’s iconoclasts. I read every letter he publishes and only recently thought it would be a great idea to share them with my readers.

Like many of my friends/guests, he’s the type of voice that gets little coverage in the mainstream media, which, in my opinion, makes him someone worth listening to twice as closely.

This Fed Will Be Behind The Inflation Curve
For "At Least A Decade": Mark Spiegel
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1315 on: July 12, 2022, 03:15:50 AM »

The ECHR is not the EU.

Rosco one of the main reasons the UK wanted to leave the EU was because then the UK would have control over their immigration.

Has that happened? No. The asylum seekers keep crossing the Channel sometimes by the hundreds in a week. You can't deport the asylum seekers crossing the Channel because the ECHR says so. The UK wants out of the ECHR but according to most reports that won't happen which means any idea of the UK controlling its own immigration is an illusion.

The UK will be paying billions for decades to come to finalize Brexit although if Labour is in power for a few elections the UK will probably be back in the EU before the UK finishes paying.

Was Brexit for nothing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit

You’re trolling me right? You can’t be this retarded or when you told us you were a banker, did you misspell what you really meant?

Google asylum seekers and read about brown people from Africa & Asia making channel crossings to enter the uk illegally. Then google EU freedom of movement and how people from within the EU can no longer leave their broke arse country and move to the UK and work for nothing, driving down wages for everyone else.

It is of course more complex than that but at this point, you’ll have discovered that you’re talking garbage yet again and there are two separate discussion being rolled into one by you.

However you’ll be one step closer to having an informed discussion with an adult.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1316 on: July 12, 2022, 03:32:33 AM »
Was Brexit for nothing?

Do you seriously believe that we left the European Union, to stop people from Africa and Asia claiming asylum?  :prophead:

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #1317 on: July 12, 2022, 05:49:45 AM »

Must be all the 'vaccinations' they force on them in Canada. One every 9 months forever now.  :chuckle:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline WestCoast

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1319 on: July 12, 2022, 08:53:02 AM »
Was Brexit for nothing?

Do you seriously believe that we left the European Union, to stop people from Africa and Asia claiming asylum?  :prophead:

At the time regaining control of immigration was certainly one of the reasons given for Brexit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/immigration-worries-drove-the-brexit-vote-then-attitudes-changed/2018/11/16/c216b6a2-bcdb-11e8-8243-f3ae9c99658a_story.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/25/brexit-is-only-way-to-control-immigration-campaigners-claim

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/europe/brexit-britain-immigration-referendum/index.html

Yet again you didn't read your own links or google what I asked!!  :'(

From one of your own sources and I quote -

“Free movement will end,” May said. “That is one of the key elements, I believe, of the vote in the referendum that we need to ensure we deliver for the British people.”

Freedom of movement is completely different to dealing with African asylum seekers, as I've already told you.

Anyhow, you are doing the Moby yet again. This has nothing to do with de-dollarisation or my original comments regarding being happy out of the EU, should Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia join any time soon. You need kept on a leash.

Offline dorbradavid

• Professor and Sailor
  • Spouses Country: United States
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #1320 on: July 12, 2022, 09:57:36 AM »
Was Brexit for nothing?

WADR, that was one of the reason's for the "leave" vote.  tiphat
Dobra David

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1321 on: July 12, 2022, 10:06:23 AM »
Was Brexit for nothing?

WADR, that was one of the reason's for the "leave" vote.  tiphat

It might have been part of the many discussions but it was the freedom of movement that hit hard, when the immigration debates were had. As I'm sure you know, the UK could do very little when it came to EU citizens moving to the UK or claiming state welfare once eligible.

The rubber dinghies from France have been happening for decades and its more about the French than the EU. I still cant fathom how anyone can take an asylum application seriously, when the candidate comes from Africa or Asia, whilst currently safe in France or any of the other many safe countries they passed through to get to the channel.

Offline Jonas!

« Reply #1322 on: August 07, 2022, 08:29:39 AM »
Slowly countries are moving away from the dollar.  Turkey 82 million people is now paying for some Russian gas in rubles.   We (The US) have opened up a can of worms. We had money for nothing, yet wanted more free money...greed. 

Turkey to pay for some Russian gas in rubles: Erdogan

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has confirmed that Turkey will start paying for some of its Russian natural gas imports in rubles.

The announcement was initially made by Moscow late Friday after more than four hours of talks between Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Sochi.

The United States is leading international efforts to impose economic sanctions on Russia in response to its February invasion of Ukraine....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/turkey-pay-russian-gas-rubles-114952870.html 

Jonas!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #1323 on: August 07, 2022, 08:48:51 AM »
Rosco, yeah, the dinghy diver situation is due to a very, very, lax interpretation of international law.

As I understand it, asylum should be claimed at the first border where safe haven is available. This means that in almost all cases the only valid claims should be from people flying to the UK from the country from which the asylum seeker wants to leave.

Jonas, having the largest reserve currency is not a universal benefit to the country issuing the currency. It pretty much forces the economy to run on a deficit basis.

As I understand it, this is one reason why China does not want the renminbi to replace the dollar. A synthetic currency of some sort is the 'best' option in most respects. This is what China and Russia, among others are working toward.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Jonas!

« Reply #1324 on: August 07, 2022, 09:03:49 AM »
Jonas, having the largest reserve currency is not a universal benefit to the country issuing the currency. It pretty much forces the economy to run on a deficit basis.

As I understand it, this is one reason why China does not want the renminbi to replace the dollar. A synthetic currency of some sort is the 'best' option in most respects. This is what China and Russia, among others are working toward.
Well, we definitely run a deficit which seems to be destructive in the longer term.  I may need a bit of an explanation if you don't mind.  Why is critical for the US to run a deficit?    My VERY basic understanding is we have been printing the dollars, making a percentage, and let others buy/use them.   
Thanks,
Jonas!