The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: De-Dollarisation.  (Read 108229 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: De-Dollarisation.
« Reply #675 on: February 12, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
New middle class in China purchase Buick's etc.

From several visits to China among the middle class I can tell you that Buick and US cars generally is something they are not buying. They are buying German and Japanese just like Americans. If you have less money you buy local, Trumpchi etc.

They do buy iPhones, bizarrely exported from China and then reimported as "genuine". But Huawei is gaining ground very fast so that won't last long. And the copy iPhones are now good enough to rival the originals. But cost only $100 or so.

They like brands, and genuine stuff at that, but US stuff generally isnt too far up the desirable list. Italian and French stuff tops the charts.

Same here in the UK and the EU, not that many American brands (that are not fast food or sugary drinks) are mainstream. Weber barbecues and Snap On tools are niche, clothing like J Crew and Gant are not huge, Shark vacuums are trying but they will never beat Dyson, Sebo and Miele, iPhones are of course everywhere but they are American only in design rights; they are made in China. "Made in the USA" isnt something we (or the Chinese) often see.

Not that American stuff is crap, far from it. But local stuff is often comparable in quality and cheaper. To enter the market, American brands would need a USP, and outside of America that is a hard sell if you can think of one. At $2/£1 it was different, but at $1.20/£1 American stuff isnt good value.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #676 on: February 12, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
confederate, actually, while he was trying very hard to do otherwise, bb was, in fact agreeing with what I wrote. He does have a rather one eyed view of the world, hence his rather silly claims. In the end, sometimes, the facts is just the facts.

China DOES manipulate its currency, in order to remain within a close range of rates to the dollar. It is axiomatic that if one currency falls, in rate against another then the other will rise.

The US is probably the largest manipulator of currencies. This, again, is axiomatic, given the volume of dollars created and traded. Manipulation is required for many reasons, not the least of which being to keep as many dollars as possible out of the US domestic economy.

Thus, Trump's claim is true and is, for anyone who knows ANYTHING about money, a message from Captain Obvious but which is shocking news to many USAians. At the same time, his words are, as can be seen from my words above, intentionally misleading in order to pander to the fears and prejudices of the great unwashed.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #677 on: February 12, 2017, 07:03:58 PM »
confederate, actually, while he was trying very hard to do otherwise, bb was, in fact agreeing with what I wrote. He does have a rather one eyed view of the world, hence his rather silly claims.

Shhh.  Nobody cares.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #678 on: April 25, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
Why a Russia-China currency swap agreement turned out to be a damp squib

http://rbth.com/business/2017/04/25/why-russia-china-currency-swap-agreement-turned-damp-squib-750321
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #679 on: April 25, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
confederate, actually, while he was trying very hard to do otherwise, bb was, in fact agreeing with what I wrote. He does have a rather one eyed view of the world, hence his rather silly claims.

Shhh.  Nobody cares.

B/B

And yet you cared enough to write.
Nice to see that somebody cares!

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #680 on: April 25, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »

Shhh.  Nobody cares.

B/B

And yet you cared enough to write.
Nice to see that somebody cares!

It took you more than two months to come up with that?   :chuckle:

B/B
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #681 on: April 27, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #682 on: April 27, 2017, 11:08:59 PM »
Will China Force the Saudis to Dump the Dollar?

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/will-china-force-saudis-dump-dollar/ri19697

I always chortle at these anti-American wank fests. 

Here's the bottom line: There is No Substitute for Hard Power.

The EU found that out.  When your world turns tho shit, what help is the Hôtel de Brienne - and I'll wait for everyone to go look that up - going to be?  Sure, they might loan you a few white flags and teach you how to surrender, and what hairstyles are most suitable for the occupation, but that's about it.

The House of Saud is entirely dependent on the US for its security, and they will quickly find out how lonely they will be without Big Daddy.  Similarly, were the US to cut SA adrift, it would inevitably be replaced by something *worse*.  It's the M/E.  That's how it goes there.  I'd be perfectly happy letting Assad and Russia run Syria, if they could stay in their lane. 

The Saudis may, as I have written here before, move to a "basket" of currencies, but they will hardly be abandoning dollars.  Indeed, with the EU teetering on the brink of dissolution, and subject to invasion by from the Dirt World, there are going to be two primary currencies that people trust in the near to medium term: Gold and the Greenback.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled hysterias....

B/B

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #683 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:53 AM »
Indeed, with the EU teetering on the brink of dissolution, and subject to invasion by from the Dirt World
B/B
And good riddance! That anti-democratic bureaucratic moloch shouldve been disbanded YEARS ago.

Hopefully it will soon , and we will go back to the EEG or something which was much more profitable to its members!.

Shengen is dead, because of the same sand-people. Just like the open-internet is now dead because of hackers, but the IT crowded learned quickly and now we have mail-filters, antivirus tools and firewalls to protect us from the malversants.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #684 on: April 28, 2017, 03:15:03 AM »

It took you more than two months to come up with that?   :chuckle:

B/B

Nope, I did not even notice your silly little post until I wrote the reply.
Some people no matter how beardy they might be are not the centre of anyone's universe. However, the point I made was true. You cared enough to post a pointless riposte. You still care.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #685 on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
The Euro seems pretty stable v the Greenback and the EU will survive - as long as they realse defeating the far-right in FR and NL should not be celebrated and forgotten .....  many people got 'racist' and 'nationalistic'  because they felt they were 'losing control' of immigration....

In the case of the UK - to the point of lunacy .... Thank GOD the Dutch and French are smarter

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #686 on: April 29, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »
The Euro seems pretty stable v the Greenback and the EU will survive - as long as they realse defeating the far-right in FR and NL should not be celebrated and forgotten .....  many people got 'racist' and 'nationalistic'  because they felt they were 'losing control' of immigration....

In the case of the UK - to the point of lunacy .... Thank GOD the Dutch and French are smarter

Propaganda alert.  :smileysherlock:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Wiz

« Reply #687 on: April 29, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »
The Euro seems pretty stable v the Greenback and the EU will survive - as long as they realse defeating the far-right in FR and NL should not be celebrated and forgotten.....  many people got 'racist' and 'nationalistic'  because they felt they were 'losing control' of immigration....

You maybe interested reading this article:

What Exactly Did the French Vote for?  The European Union against the French Nation!

tiphat
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #688 on: April 29, 2017, 08:41:16 AM »

You maybe interested reading this article:

tiphat

No, Wiz, I lived and worked in France ... I was quite confident in how they would vote months ago .... short of some serious scandal - made up or true ... The French are voting for the person who they best feel can improve their lot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #689 on: April 29, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »

I now return you to your regularly scheduled hysterias....

From your suitably 'padded cell' ? ! ..

Whilst I totally agree about the BS written about 'de-dollarisation', I don't recognise YOUR hysteria, either ...

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
Thank GOD the Dutch and French are smarter
What are you talking about. The 'anti-EU' parties ALL won seats. Each and every one of them.

ANTI-EU parties:
PVV won from 12 seats to 20 seats.. increase of nearly 100%.
FvD went from 0 to 2, which is a huge accomplishment for a newcomer, 6 months old.
DeNK (Turkish party) from 2 seats to 3 seats.
50Plus : From 1 seat to 5. They view the EU with mostly skepticism and on some fronts hostile, but are not openly anti-EU, I will count em as such though as it is a big reason why they won.

So the ANTI-EU parties all together won 15 seats this election and now have 29 total, which almost doubles them (from 15 to 29).

Rulers over the past 4 year:
VVD: Lost 10 seats, barely remain in power. Right wing oriented. They're for the rich people.
PVDA: Lefties, slaughtered, went from 38 seats to only 9, that's 75% lost!!

New cabinet likely VVD + CDA + D66 + (GL or CU) , personally I hope CU.

PVV: Now the number 2 biggest party, but shunned by all others so will be in opposition
Groen Links: (Climate / green party) won hugely, 4 to 14 seats. They absorbed the largest chunk from PvdA's losses. Considering that most points are the same, thats no surprise. They have no opinion on the EU.
CDA: Christen Democrats won hugely, they are the only pro-EU party that won seats.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »

What are you talking about.

Mark.

Is the NL going to be run by a pro EU coalition Markje ?

Yes..

Thank you.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #692 on: April 29, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »
Indeed, with the EU teetering on the brink of dissolution, and subject to invasion by from the Dirt World
B/B
And good riddance! That anti-democratic bureaucratic moloch shouldve been disbanded YEARS ago.

Hopefully it will soon , and we will go back to the EEG or something which was much more profitable to its members!.

Shengen is dead, because of the same sand-people. Just like the open-internet is now dead because of hackers, but the IT crowded learned quickly and now we have mail-filters, antivirus tools and firewalls to protect us from the malversants.

The European Union lost its vision and the very reason that it became an entity. So for different reason I share the pessimism of Mark, I do not see it being viable in the long term. With out doubt though it has been for many business entities and industries very profitable. Both European and foreign.

But the over reaching attempts to create a harmonious single entity have been as a great a failure as say the Khmer Rouge or the African National Union. Odd that they both received massive support from Russia during the Communist regime.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #693 on: April 30, 2017, 01:27:43 AM »

From several visits to China among the middle class I can tell you that Buick and US cars generally is something they are not buying. They are buying German and Japanese just like Americans. If you have less money you buy local, Trumpchi etc.

They do buy iPhones, bizarrely exported from China and then reimported as "genuine". But Huawei is gaining ground very fast so that won't last long. And the copy iPhones are now good enough to rival the originals. But cost only $100 or so.

They like brands, and genuine stuff at that, but US stuff generally isnt too far up the desirable list. Italian and French stuff tops the charts.

Same here in the UK and the EU, not that many American brands (that are not fast food or sugary drinks) are mainstream. Weber barbecues and Snap On tools are niche, clothing like J Crew and Gant are not huge, Shark vacuums are trying but they will never beat Dyson, Sebo and Miele, iPhones are of course everywhere but they are American only in design rights; they are made in China. "Made in the USA" isnt something we (or the Chinese) often see.

Not that American stuff is crap, far from it. But local stuff is often comparable in quality and cheaper. To enter the market, American brands would need a USP, and outside of America that is a hard sell if you can think of one. At $2/£1 it was different, but at $1.20/£1 American stuff isnt good value.

What does France currently manufacture besides overpriced pens and perfume?  A lot of the designer brands are made elsewhere.  Almost all the items one purchases anywhere in the world are made in Asia. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #694 on: April 30, 2017, 03:24:43 AM »

What does France currently manufacture besides overpriced pens and perfume?  A lot of the designer brands are made elsewhere.  Almost all the items one purchases anywhere in the world are made in Asia.

Trains, planes, automobiles ? ...    How often do you visit and see the plants ..never flown on an Airbus ?:)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #695 on: April 30, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

French are big in aerospace. Have you not heard of Airbus? And they make decent cars for someone living in France or western Europe. They make decent military ships. Do you not recall they cancelled the sale of a couple of ships to Russia?

Offline Manny

« Reply #696 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
And they make decent cars for someone living in France or western Europe.

Well they make cars, Citroen, Renault and Peugeot. None of which I'd call decent, but they do make them.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #697 on: April 30, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »

Well they make cars, Citroen, Renault and Peugeot. None of which I'd call decent, but they do make them.

We have a different definition of decent. Unless I were living in France I would not consider one and they would still not be a top choice. So decent but not great.

I was only answering his question as to whether the French make anything.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #698 on: April 30, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »

Don't forget Dacia ... the B-game of one of those 3 :D
OO===[][]===OO

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #699 on: April 30, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »

The French have managed to maintain building there own cars. Something the UK can not claim, remind RUA who owns, Rover, Jaguar and Rolls Royce. The French have constructed some of the most iconic cars ever, rivaling any other countries vehicles. If one drives a Renault; Espace or Safrane or a Citroën C5 one can only complain if you hold a bias.

Renault gets browny points for weening itself from government ownership and more or less holding its head above water as an automobile manufacturer in France.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot