The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: A return ticket. Does it help your visa application?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Sous01

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
A return ticket. Does it help your visa application?
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:56:33 PM »
What is everyone's opinion on whether having purchased a return ticket influences your chances of a successful application?

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
Re: A return ticket. Does it help your visa application?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
Probably not as much as ties to one's home country such as a job, real estate ownership and a left-behind child.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 06:46:53 PM »
Probably not as much as ties to one's home country such as a job, real estate ownership and a left-behind child.

With out a round trip ticket I suspect who ever is applying will have a short visit to the said country, and at least in Amsterdam will not be allowed to board flight.

Further I agree with TomT  tiphat.

While I do not know Canada rules and regulations, a prior history of visa's from Schengen or the UK also is seen in a positive light by the powers to be in Europe and America.

Perhaps you can find specific information if you search for a forum that is dedicated to Visa Journey's.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 01:31:54 AM »
Assuming this is in respect of a visa then check the appropriate Web page, Google is your friend. In general though, I have never seen a visa application that told the applicant to buy tickets in advance of a successful visa issuance.

It would seem odd to pay money for something that quite possibly can not be used.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:55:02 AM »
Im sure most Visa sites say something like "Do not purchase your tickets until you have your visa"

And as already stated the most important point is to show she has ties to her country and compelling reasons for her to return after her visit.
So if she lives in a wooden hut in Siberia with no family and no job she's going to need lots of supporting documents and in any case that will probably not be enough.

I know thats the story for the UK anyway.

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Jeffery

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
In general though, I have never seen a visa application that told the applicant to buy tickets in advance of a successful visa issuance.

It would seem odd to pay money for something that quite possibly can not be used.

In certain circumstances Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) does ask for a return ticket:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5484E.PDF

...towards the bottom of the above link, in the list.

Offline Sous01

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
it's so confusing. Out of three forums I posted this question only one person said to buy a ticket. Yet the forms mentioned above state "a photocopy of your ticket if applicable" well what the heck does if applicable mean?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »
The words 'if applicable' can be translated into English as 'if you are daft enough to have already bought them' it is quite clearly NOT a requirement.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline cdnexpat

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
For my wife, because she had less travel experience, French Embassy in Tash required her to have a tour arranged by an agency. That was 2 years ago. This year, to get the Japanese visa, the same was required. Ticket in and out, and hotel bookings done by the travel agency.
But Canada did not require it. They ask for an itinerary, when you apply for a tourist visa.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
The most important thing is supporting documents to cover everything. However hard it maybe to gain a tourist visa to Canada they still have to stick to some form of criteria.

You need piles of documents receipts, copies every thing possible . The most important question they will look at is the probabilities of her not not returning. A return ticket really means nothing.

As long as you have plenty of supporting documents they will not refuse you. You also need to write a long essay about your relationship with her and all previous trips together. It seems you have been together a long time and travelled often. I know for sure that would pass for a UK visa.

Just prove you she has plenty of reason to return and all will be fine :) And maybe write a letter to your government to lay off pestering Russia :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
The most important thing is supporting documents to cover everything. However hard it maybe to gain a tourist visa to Canada they still have to stick to some form of criteria.

You need piles of documents receipts, copies every thing possible . The most important question they will look at is the probabilities of her not not returning. A return ticket really means nothing.

As long as you have plenty of supporting documents they will not refuse you.
You also need to write a long essay about your relationship with her and all previous trips together. It seems you have been together a long time and travelled often. I know for sure that would pass for a UK visa.

Just prove you she has plenty of reason to return and all will be fine :) And maybe write a letter to your government to lay off pestering Russia :)

The general rule of thumb with all these applications, is give them exactly what they ask for and whole lot more, make it very hard for them to refuse you.
Слава Україні

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
it's so confusing. Out of three forums I posted this question only one person said to buy a ticket. Yet the forms mentioned above state "a photocopy of your ticket if applicable" well what the heck does if applicable mean?

Sorry perhaps I was not clear.

There are two separate issues, though some what related.

Every embassy/consulate wants when they issue a visa that the applicant will return home per the terms of the visa. The embassy or consulate is looking for markers that said applicant will return to there homeland. When I say markers, they own real estate, have a viable business, a child that remains in the 'homeland'. The applicant should have a viable reason why she is traveling to what ever country she (and you) have selected.

Having a prepaid ticket in hand will pressure the embassy/consulate to grant the request PERHAPS more quickly and in some cases favourably.

If said person tries to board the flight with out a round trip they might be stopped by the airline itself. They are in fact often responsible for the costs of returning passengers to country of origin with out a valid . I would suggest a refundable ticket before application. You might be out a non-refundable portion perhaps $250 CDN.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Jerash

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 10:14:18 PM »
It won't hurt your chances and helps contribute to a strong application package.  As I suggested to you earlier, get cancellation insurance for $100 so if things don't work out, you are only out the insurance money.

Registration