The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Brits: Suggestions for changes to visa system for Russia?  (Read 15559 times)

Offline cdnexpat

• Trips: 20+
Re: Brits: Suggestions for changes to visa system for Russia?
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
On my first visa request for a trip to China, they gave me an 8 year multiple! Now, they are talking. :thumbsup:

My first hoik out to China I only got a 30 day one. Getting my next one next month. At least I can do those through the mail; unlike Russia. Any secrets on Chinese visas to share?

When I went to the embassy here in Tash, the young assistant looked at me with a smile, and said: "Oh! Canadian? You get a 10 year visa." But the passport was only valid for 8, so I got 8. Very easy. I think a few countries also get them.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
On my first visa request for a trip to China, they gave me an 8 year multiple! Now, they are talking. :thumbsup:

My first hoik out to China I only got a 30 day one. Getting my next one next month. At least I can do those through the mail; unlike Russia. Any secrets on Chinese visas to share?

When I went to the embassy here in Tash, the young assistant looked at me with a smile, and said: "Oh! Canadian? You get a 10 year visa." But the passport was only valid for 8, so I got 8. Very easy. I think a few countries also get them.

Perhaps your nationality in that location and personal attendance swung it. I guess I'll get another 30 day by mail one.  ;D
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2015, 05:53:35 AM »
I don't think much will change with the Russian visa system which is the biggest headache for anyone who wishes to visit Russia either for family or as a tourist.

A few years back I invited several girls from Moscow to the UK .The visa application was very easy with little supporting documents and all were successful . Recently I made invitations for two Russian friends to visit the UK , first time the applications were declined and it took a considerable amount of supporting documents to finally get the visas.
Im 100% sure the UK are making it more difficult or at least being more picky to find any excuse to decline visas.

http://rbth.co.uk/international/2015/08/06/russian_ambassador_in_london_accuses_britain_of_failing_to_fulf_48325.html

Only two years ago I thought things may change, EasyJet were talking about flying into St Petersburg, RyanAir were planning to fly to St Petersburg and there was talk about a visa free period of ten days for tourists. All seems to of gone "Tits Up" now.
Its a shame really Russia could have a big tourist industry:(

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2015, 07:01:34 AM »
Fair do's Steve, it ain't as though Russia is exactly bereft of tourists, just not so many from the UK on stag weekends. As an inhabitant of one of the destinations for such Easyjet/Ryanair trippers I have to say that their lack would not be a disadvantage for most of us!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2015, 07:18:30 AM »
Fair do's Steve, it ain't as though Russia is exactly bereft of tourists, just not so many from the UK on stag weekends. As an inhabitant of one of the destinations for such Easyjet/Ryanair trippers I have to say that their lack would not be a disadvantage for most of us!

Probably correct there!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »

Only two years ago I thought things may change, EasyJet were talking about flying into St Petersburg, RyanAir were planning to fly to St Petersburg and there was talk about a visa free period of ten days for tourists. All seems to of gone "Tits Up" now.

Exactly, steveboy

Most Brits will never sample the delights of Peterhof, The Hermitage, Tsarskoye Selo ....

SPb - esp at this time of year - could and should have a lot more tourists

Sochi could be experiencing a boom in non-Russian speaking tourists - there's certainly the capacity

The best way to promote a country is tourists returning home with glowing reports. 

PS if you plan ahead and have no  hold luggage then the EASYJETS nd RYANAIRS of the world are cheap ... but if you add the luggage that sensible tourists bring they are often more expensive that 'normal' scheduled airlines
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2015, 07:38:09 AM »

Exactly, steveboy

Most Brits will never sample the delights of Peterhof, The Hermitage, Tsarskoye Selo ....

Sochi could be experiencing a boom in non-Russian speaking tourists - there's certainly the capacity

The best way to promote a country is tourists returning home with glowing reports. 

PS if you plan ahead and have no  hold luggage then the EASYJETS nd RYANAIRS of the world are cheap ... but if you add the luggage that sensible tourists bring they are often more expensive that 'normal' scheduled airlines

Easyjet was great for us - MAN to DME, two bags in the hold, two each in the cabin, priority boarding (actually a boon on EasyJet, never was on Ryanair) could change travel dates/times anytime, £425 return two adults.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2015, 07:46:40 AM »

Easyjet was great for us - MAN to DME, two bags in the hold, two each in the cabin, priority boarding (actually a boon on EasyJet, never was on Ryanair) could change travel dates/times anytime, £425 return two adults.

I paid half that in Feb / March '14 for a return - 115 / pax on that route, inc luggage - seat booked - no need to get on quick -  and am looking at gbp 220 return from Sochi - London - Scheduled with Aeroflot ..you was robbed  :chuckle:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2015, 08:00:14 AM »

Exactly, steveboy

I just recently flew Ryanair Gothenburg Sweden to London £9.95 each plus £15.00 for one hold bag:) I don't think you could beat that.
I travel a lot so always look for the best deal :)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2015, 08:03:06 AM »
.95 each plus £15.00 for one hold bag:) I don't think you could beat that.
I travel a lot so always look for the best deal :)

How about 50p each way to / from Malmo -  Stansted - incl. luggage ... ? OK, that was in 2000

Offline Manny

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
I heard a rumour today that it was on Russian radio that foreigners arriving at KUF (Samara airport, Russia) will be exempt from visas if the trip is three days or less. Moscow airports were mentioned too.

I am going to try to find out more, does anyone know anything about this?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline sparky114

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »
I heard a rumour today that it was on Russian radio that foreigners arriving at KUF (Samara airport, Russia) will be exempt from visas if the trip is three days or less. Moscow airports were mentioned too.

I am going to try to find out more, does anyone know anything about this?

Not heard anything about that, arriving at DME next Thursday though
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2015, 12:36:47 AM »
Manny, gave Mum and a friend to a Golf Club do. My love life in Russia came up, then SPb and the Hermitage...which I said she MUST see.

Ha she said, a group of us planned a trip up the Volga from Moscow to SPb, but when we found we now needed to go up to London to get our fingers scanned, we abandonned the idea....

I asked her if I couldn't mention it, thinking of your report.

She is willing to be contacted.

Offline Manny

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2015, 02:10:17 AM »
Looks like they are planning to drop visa requirements for the BRICS: http://www.rt.com/business/316179-putin-russia-visa-brics/

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2015, 02:29:19 AM »
Looks like they are planning to drop visa requirements for the BRICS: http://www.rt.com/business/316179-putin-russia-visa-brics/

:offtopic:

this thread was about Brits - not BRICS

:chuckle:

Offline Manny

« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »
I am not going to visit Russia except if they drop the visa requirement. I have communicated with the President and asked him to change the instruction Rules allowing us, married to Russian women, to have at least a 5 year multy entry visa, like they do for some special categories…… but no joy! Don’t forget that we have family, an old baboushka, there and it would be very convenient if something happen to her to be able to buy a ticket and be there next morning!

Wiz, can you elaborate on what communication you had and with whom please?

Its a subject I plan to chew the ear of Ambassador Yakovenko about when we get our Diplomatic Club invite this year.  :8)

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 10:08:10 AM »
I am not going to visit Russia except if they drop the visa requirement. I have communicated with the President and asked him to change the instruction Rules allowing us, married to Russian women, to have at least a 5 year multy entry visa, like they do for some special categories…… but no joy! Don’t forget that we have family, an old baboushka, there and it would be very convenient if something happen to her to be able to buy a ticket and be there next morning!

Its a subject I plan to chew the ear of Ambassador Yakovenko about when we get our Diplomatic Club invite this year.  :8)

http://ambru.nl/en/page.php?a=24

I have heard of said 5 year ME visa, and also that several were in fact issued to Dutch citizens, but that was a few years ago, and cannot say if such visa's are available today.
The above is the only paper that I have seen so far on the subject.
HTH.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Wiz

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »

Corr blimey ....I see, my friend Manny is mingling with the Diplomatic corps.

You have not become a  diplomatic correspondent? Have you?

I started a long thread after my marriage, in 2008 and now it's 11 pages as I post there anything relevant info. that I come across.  Take a read.......as you know the url.

PS: Manny the United Kingdom is not part of the Agreement signed between the EU Shegen Countries and Russia......  even if you re a Journalist!

>:(

QUOTE:

g) journalists

Requested documents - open the list ►

h) participants in official exchange programmes organised by twin cities

Requested documents - open the list ►

Please note that the above mentioned paragraphs of the Agreement are applicable to the citizens of the following states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

:'(
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »

http://ambru.nl/en/page.php?a=24

I have heard of said 5 year ME visa, and also that several were in fact issued to Dutch citizens, but that was a few years ago, and cannot say if such visa's are available today.
The above is the only paper that I have seen so far on the subject.
HTH.

I think this will be worthwhile for me to try, it is hairsplitting but it might work.

Requirements:
1    A written request (original or copy) from the host citizen of the European Union (in accordance with subparagraph «j» of paragraph 1 of Article 4 of the Agreement). The signature of the host person shall be legalized by a notary according to Russian legislation in force;
2    Proof of relationship documents;
3   A document showing that the EU citizen legally resides in the territory of the Russian Federation (permit for temporary residence, study or work visa for a period exceeding 90 days);
4    A filled in and signed personally by the applicant visa application form with one passport photo;
5    Passport or travel document that is valid at least 6 months after the expiry date of the visa;
6    Proof of health insurance (copy) that is valid in the Russian Federation during the validity period of the visa.

1) My wife through marriage
2) Marriage registered in Netherlands
3) My wife has Russian residency, she can stay however long she'd like in Russia.
4) That won't be too hard.
5) Valid until 2024
6) No problemo, just a quick email to my health insurance and it will be provided free of charge.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Wiz

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:38 PM »

AGREEMENT
Signed in Sochi - Russia on the 25 May2006

Between the Russian Federation and the European Community
on the facilitation of the issuance of visas
to the citizens of the Russian Federation and the European Union

Article 3- Definitions

For the purpose of this Agreement:

a) "Member State" shall mean any Member State of the European Union, with the exception of the Kingdom of Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;

j) for close relatives - spouses, children (including adopted), parents (including custodians), grandparents and grandchildren - visiting citizens of the Russian Federation or the European Union legally residing in the territory of the Member States or the Russian Federation.

Markje said: on 26 January 2016

I think this will be worthwhile for me to try, it is hairsplitting but it might work.

Requirements:

1    A written request (original or copy) from the host citizen of the European Union (in accordance with subparagraph «j» of paragraph 1 of Article 4 of the Agreement). The signature of the host person shall be legalized by a notary according to Russian legislation in force;

2    Proof of relationship documents;

3   A document showing that the EU citizen legally resides in the territory of the Russian Federation (permit for temporary residence, study or work visa for a period exceeding 90 days);

4    A filled in and signed personally by the applicant visa application form with one passport photo;

5    Passport or travel document that is valid at least 6 months after the expiry date of the visa;
6    Proof of health insurance (copy) that is valid in the Russian Federation during the validity period of the visa.

1) My wife through marriage
2) Marriage registered in Netherlands
3) My wife has Russian residency, she can stay however long she'd like in Russia.
4) That won't be too hard.
5) Valid until 2024
6) No problemo, just a quick email to my health insurance and it will be provided free of charge.

NOTE: Mark, sorry using your text in a such way but I think, it may help other people, for all information to be in one post! I added the part of the agreement so to give complete picture of your case, a possible scenario, where if successful, others can copy!

:smokin: :reading:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2016, 01:59:48 AM »
Of course, being totally Russian red-tape compliant, there is another requirement listed on another page:

- You must have 2 valid 1-year multiple entry visa's in the last 2 years.
- The reasons behind the visa's must not have changed meanwhile.

So, i am off first to ask a multi-entry 1-year Russian visa.

Might come in handy, then i can goto Crimea in new years as well without extra visa hassle.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2016, 06:05:54 PM »
Of course, being totally Russian red-tape compliant, there is another requirement listed on another page:

- You must have 2 valid 1-year multiple entry visa's in the last 2 years.
- The reasons behind the visa's must not have changed meanwhile.

So, i am off first to ask a multi-entry 1-year Russian visa.

Might come in handy, then i can goto Crimea in new years as well without extra visa hassle.

Markje, if it's the same for Brits - you'll need a BUSINESS VISA - as this is the only way to be able to enter on a M/E basis without a work / residency permit.

It costs.. Invitation - which must be the original invitation from a Russian business - plus the fee..

If you want help with this - you know how to get  me - I found a GREAT company in Moscow - that were far cheaper than local offerings

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Maybe there will be some easing of Russian visa regulations soon  :)

Probably not for the UK though!

http://rbth.com/international/troika/2016/03/17/tight-security-or-tourist-dollars-russias-visa-dilemma_576681

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »
Maybe there will be some easing of Russian visa regulations soon  :)

Probably not for the UK though!

http://rbth.com/international/troika/2016/03/17/tight-security-or-tourist-dollars-russias-visa-dilemma_576681

Steve,

Much as I'm sorry to shock you ...but whilst I would [ personally ] find a less arduous visa process welcome - I don't think relaxing it would bring in the tourists...even though they are missing out..

Offline Manny

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
I don't think relaxing it would bring in the tourists...even though they are missing out..

You would be wrong.

Read the article and see what happened with tourists from Korea.