The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: McDonalds to open lots of restaurants in Kazakhstan and Siberia  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
McDonalds to open lots of restaurants in Kazakhstan and Siberia
« on: November 15, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
McDonald’s Bets Big on … Kazakhstan and Siberia

Kazakhs seeking a hearty dinner hour involving "iconic favorites such as the Big Mac" and free Wi-Fi, which admittedly cinches the deal, will soon reach the end of their search: McDonald's is set to invade Kazakhstan and roll out an unspecified number of locations there in 2015, with help from a Quarter Pounder-loving billionaire oil tycoon, of course. In another head-scratcher, the chain also just announced that 40 new stores are headed to Siberia, of all places.

... About half of the chain's 424 locations in Russia have warranted investigation so far by Rospotrebnadzor, the Russian government's consumer protection agency. There's something of a Kremlin–Big Mac armistice right now, so expect this expansion strategy to work. It may at least be easy for McDonald's to compete: Authorities suspended some of Burger King Siberia's operations over summer after electrical bills.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/11/mcdonalds-opening-kazakhstan-siberia.html

Interestingly, a poll done recently shows that 62% of Russians want to ban McDonald's restaurants in the country:

Sixty-two percent of respondents support the closure of all McDonald's in Russia, according to a survey conducted by SuperJob's Research Center ... SuperJob said that respondents' explanations for their choices were often rooted in patriotism, with many saying that U.S. fast-food franchises should be replaced by cafes serving domestic cuisine.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/most-russians-want-mcdonalds-closed-poll-says/497989.html

They could just boycott McDonald's.  I don't like the food so I don't eat there.

Offline WestCoast

Re: McDonalds to open lots of restaurants in Kazakhstan and Siberia
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »
I've eaten at McDonald's in every country I've been to. Tastes different everywhere. Even between the US and Canada. Go to a McDonald's in Vancouver and one in Seattle, Washington and order a Big Mac, Fries (large of course) and Coke in both places and there's a noticeable taste difference, at least to me.

In Europe between countries the taste difference is even more extreme. Same recipe but different sources for meat and potatoes means different taste. The taste difference in Asia is again noticeable. Korea, Japan and China all taste quite a bit different for the same meal.

Just an off topic note on McDonald's. The restrooms in McDonald's in Japan are exceptionally clean and surprisingly large. Don't have to order a meal to use the restrooms as some restaurants in the US require. Another note on restrooms in Japan. Some restrooms in Japan (never seen it in McDonald's) not only have squat toilets but some don't supply toilet paper or make you pay for toilet paper.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Re: McDonalds to open lots of restaurants in Kazakhstan and Siberia
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:07:14 PM »
Just an off topic note on McDonald's. The restrooms in McDonald's in Japan are exceptionally clean and surprisingly large. Don't have to order a meal to use the restrooms as some restaurants in the US require.

The only McDonald's I've ever visited abroad was in Odessa, and that was because my girlfriend wanted to have a drink there. I think it was on Deribasovskaya street in the city center.  I think I ordered a coffee. The bathroom was very nice and clean.