The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What do you drink in FSU?  (Read 6638 times)

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
What do you drink in FSU?
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »
Something PBRstreet wrote in another thread caused me to start this thread asking what do you drink when in FSU.  I'd like to focus this thread on non-alcoholic beverages.  I think there have already been threads on wine, beer, and liquor.

I drink the water happily in the FSU

I'll start.  I have never had tap water in FSU (for that matter, I don't drink tap water here either). My drink of choice is bottled water.  I drink more water with gas than without gas.  Most of the time I drink Morshinska water, but I sometimes drink Bon Aqua.  On my first trip to FSU I tried Borjomi, the famous mineral water from Georgia, but I didn't  like it at all.

Here is Morshinska:

At first glance you might not notice a bottle of water in this photo.  Wrench your gaze off the girl and direct it to the top right of the photo.

How about the rest of you?

Tap water, bottled water, fruit juices, soft drinks?

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
Re: What do you drink in FSU?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:42:43 PM »
I drank tap water in Odessa and it was quite rancid. I suppose it depends on the building you are in as well. I had no choice and my wife looked at me like I was crazy. She said you would normally boil it and make tea to disguise the taste.

During the summer months I do enjoy kompot and I have had kvas right from a keg on the beach. That is a bit of an acquired taste, but not too bad if cold and you are familiar with malt type drinks. I use the kompot as a substitute for Iced T which I drink in massive quantities. The only Iced T I have had in Ukraine is the sweet garbage in a bottle.

Offline PBRstreetg

• Spouses Country: Беларусь
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:16:42 PM »
Okay maybe I was dumb or just maybe lucky. I dislike the water here but it's well water so in SoFla bad idea to drink it.

But that said I usually give tap water a chance. Especially if it comes out cold.

Bon Aqua sans gas
I can't chug carbonated water so I drink the regular one there. It's popular with the locals unless you want it ice cold. Then you get a funny look  :chuckle: . Not quit the stink eye look, but similar.
Разрушить всегда легче, чем построить. Обидеть проще,чем простить. И врать всегда удобней , чем поверить. А оттолкнуть намного проще, чем любить

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
  Borjomi    is a king amongst mineral waters. I prefer mineral waters with gas and it is natuarlly carbonated .It is Georgian  product and generally widely available.
Currently in Ukraine many imported products like this brand-and imported beers are in short supply as establishments struggle with cash flow.
The cheaper Bon Aqua that PBR mentions is also ok-- and readily available at supermarkets at bargain price-in both small and very large bottles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borjomi_(water)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »

Before I get to that, I'd like to ask a question of a comment of yours, Larry..

I don't drink tap water here either

"Here" being America? I am genuinely curious about that. And if US tap water is unsafe or not nice, why that is? I have been to America many times, and have drunk the water. Sure, it doesn't taste like ours, but it seemed OK. We assume it doesn't make people sick? One assumes in a first world country, what comes out of the tap is OK to drink? If the locals are eschewing it, one wonders why?

But onto the question of the FSU. In Estonia (at least where our place is) the local water is from a local reservoir and tastes excellent. But it does calc up appliances.

On my trips to Russia, the local water looks OK, but our family don't drink it neat. They either boil it (as in with tea) or buy it bottled. More recently the folks installed some kind of water filter system in their apartment. Now they think the apartment water is OK to drink.

At the dacha by the Volga, the residents clubbed together a while back to put in some kind of deep ground well. Now they all get water from that. They think its super. I am not convinced, as the well is right by the heavily polluted Volga river. But I am not a geologist, so my opinion is only 'feeling'.

I am from the north of England, we supposedly have the best tap water in the UK. Indeed they bottle and sell water from Derbyshire, and I can see that county from my window. We live in the same group of hills where all the reservoirs are. We have no appliance calc issues at all, the same places feed Greater Manchester. So maybe what I think is normal tap water is bottled water for everyone else? That said, what comes out of our filtered fridge seems to taste nicer.

My wife fills her water bottles from the fridge usually. But she also buys French spring water.  (:)

In the heavily-populated south of England they apparently use recycled (but cleansed) sewage water and desalinated seawater, which is why the water doesn't taste very nice down there probably.

In Russia I drink generally bottled water. For fruit juice I choose what looks like a premium brand; usually 'Я'. I seldom drink manufactured fizzy drinks (sodas) anywhere. Too many e numbers, chemicals and sugar.  :sick0012:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »
When I was in the US (close to LA & Washington) I tried the tap water in both places and didn't like it. Smelled and tasted too much like chlorid (then again I'm spoiled being from NL where we flip coins with FI about "world's best tap water"). In the FSU I only use the water for brushing teeth. For the rest bottled.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Offline Larry

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »
When I was in the US (close to LA & Washington) I tried the tap water in both places and didn't like it. Smelled and tasted too much like chlorid (then again I'm spoiled being from NL where we flip coins with FI about "world's best tap water"). In the FSU I only use the water for brushing teeth. For the rest bottled.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

That's why I don't drink tap water here. I've lived in a number of places in the US and disliked the tap water in every one of them.  There is only one place here where I drink the tap water: New York City.  You wouldn't think it would have good-tasting water but it does.  I understand it's because of the source of the water, in a mountain range not far from the city.  Many people say the great water is one secret behind the good pizza dough and baked goods in NYC.

Offline Larry

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »

Before I get to that, I'd like to ask a question of a comment of yours, Larry..

I don't drink tap water here either

"Here" being America? I am genuinely curious about that. And if US tap water is unsafe or not nice, why that is? I have been to America many times, and have drunk the water. Sure, it doesn't taste like ours, but it seemed OK. We assume it doesn't make people sick? One assumes in a first world country, what comes out of the tap is OK to drink? If the locals are eschewing it, one wonders why?

But onto the question of the FSU. In Estonia (at least where our place is) the local water is from a local reservoir and tastes excellent. But it does calc up appliances.

On my trips to Russia, the local water looks OK, but our family don't drink it neat. They either boil it (as in with tea) or buy it bottled. More recently the folks installed some kind of water filter system in their apartment. Now they think the apartment water is OK to drink.

At the dacha by the Volga, the residents clubbed together a while back to put in some kind of deep ground well. Now they all get water from that. They think its super. I am not convinced, as the well is right by the heavily polluted Volga river. But I am not a geologist, so my opinion is only 'feeling'.

I am from the north of England, we supposedly have the best tap water in the UK. Indeed they bottle and sell water from Derbyshire, and I can see that county from my window. We live in the same group of hills where all the reservoirs are. We have no appliance calc issues at all, the same places feed Greater Manchester. So maybe what I think is normal tap water is bottled water for everyone else? That said, what comes out of our filtered fridge seems to taste nicer.

My wife fills her water bottles from the fridge usually. But she also buys French spring water.  (:)

In the heavily-populated south of England they apparently use recycled (but cleansed) sewage water and desalinated seawater, which is why the water doesn't taste very nice down there probably.

In Russia I drink generally bottled water. For fruit juice I choose what looks like a premium brand; usually 'Я'. I seldom drink manufactured fizzy drinks (sodas) anywhere. Too many e numbers, chemicals and sugar.  :sick0012:

Yes, I meant here in the US.  The water is perfectly safe to drink here.  I just don't like the taste of it, except, as I posted just above, the New York City tap water. I'm sure there are a number of other places here who have great tasting water.  I don't know why most tap water  I've had here tastes bad. 

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:11 AM »
In FSU:

- Water (bottled 95% of the time)  I drank tap every once in a while in Sumy and Moscow but bottled only in St. Pete and Kazan
- Coffee
- Tea
- Milk

The water is safe in the US but like mentioned above, it will vary in taste depending on where you are.

The water in the Tahoe area was the best I have had.

Colorado Springs was a close second (always cold and tasty)

Dallas, Houston, Austin, Virginia Beach and Tulsa water is ok but not great.

Pascagoula Mississippi was like St. Pete - Stinky and awful.

San Diego was ok, but Novato in the North Bay Area was not good.

Location plays a big role I imagine.  Close to the coast or swamps, not so good.  Mountains and natural filters in the ground work out well it seems.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 02:42:47 AM »
Great topic, Larry!

For home use, Nestle Pure life: Nestle pure life: https://www.nestle-purelife.ru/ We sometimes buy the big 5L jugs for home drinking at a market just around the corner if waiting for a delivery.

At the office there is King water: http://www.kingwater.ru/catalog/equipment/

At the dacha there is a well and I'm convinced that we're all going to die from it.  ;D

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »
The water in the Tahoe area was the best I have had.
Agree. Tahoe was basically my home away from home from 1986-1996, and I almost made the move to live there. They love to claim that the water is 99.9% pure, and the environmentalists put up quite a resistance to any building that could negatively affect the eco balance in the area. I love Tahoe.

The tap water has gotten much better over the years here in Moscow (according to the locals), but I would never drink it. I never drank the water in Houston either. I do wash my fruit and veggies with it here and feel safe in that regard, but still let the water run for a while first. It does at times come in different flavors with "rust color" being my favorite. :)

I drink bottled drinking water "без газа" in Moscow and have it delivered to my home a la Ozarka in America. I can't remember exactly what the company's name is, I'm thinking Chernobyl waters, straight from the springs :P. At 500 rubles for 10 gallons you can beat it. :chuckle:

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
With Danchik on the "без газа" variant. This "without gas" as many folk seem to like carbonated water for some reason. My stomach just doesn't seem to appreciate the carbonation so "без газа" is my favourite.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
Premium juice, or in restaurants, fresh made, love they make, when you order.
Water( non gas) Coffee, only tap water is on my tooth brush.
I don't bother to take the risk. I am there for 10-14 days most times,
I prefer to enjoy it, rather than seeing if it will make me sick or not.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »
I have taken to drinking water from the kettle as my wife has done since childhood.

Most people we know use water filter jugs (like Brita) and then boil the water. Some folks use the 19 litre water buts like we used in Turkey but they are expensive in Ukraine.

As a family we don't do fizzy drinks.  Tea (no milk) is favorite and of course fresh ground coffee but not for the kids.

We both like Kvass and my wife likes piva.  I tend to stick to wine (Moldovan) or Nemirov  ;D

Offline yankee

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »
when my wife lived in Kirov she boiled the water to drink, When I am there I do the sames.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Annushka

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
Vodka and lots of it, last trip I came across a brand called Mamont from Siberia which I'd say is now in my #5 Russian ones to drink. Aside from the vodka, I tend to drink bottled water, wouldn't drink out of a tap in Moscow, I'd literally die :chuckle:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
You wouldn't die.  :)  I drink Moscow tap water often. However my wife insists on bottled water in the office, and she and MIL inside on it at home.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »
And if US tap water is unsafe or not nice, why that is? I have been to America many times, and have drunk the water. Sure, it doesn't taste like ours, but it seemed OK. We assume it doesn't make people sick? One assumes in a first world country, what comes out of the tap is OK to drink? If the locals are eschewing it, one wonders why?

Generally speaking there is nothing wrong with US tap water.  The taste may not be great if you're in Florida (too much sulfur) of if they over-treat it with chlorine (b/c Germs are BAD!!!).  Also, the bottle water folks have done a great job at convincing people to BUY water, instead of drinking the free stuff that comes out of the tap.  "French" water is somehow better.  If you ask me, the fact that "Evian" is just "Naive" spelled backwards is NOT a coinkydink. *shrugs* 

If the FSU, I drink bottled water, without gas, b/c I don't like having the shits.  Especially when I would much rather be dancing, romancing and de-pantsing attractive young ladies.  Simples.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 05:59:38 AM »
You wouldn't die.  :)  I drink Moscow tap water often. However my wife insists on bottled water in the office, and she and MIL inside on it at home.
I don't like the water in the UK or US so Moscow would indeed kill me :chuckle:

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 06:47:48 AM »
Vodka and lots of it, last trip I came across a brand called Mamont from Siberia which I'd say is now in my #5 Russian ones to drink. Aside from the vodka, I tend to drink bottled water, wouldn't drink out of a tap in Moscow, I'd literally die :chuckle:

Finally a real man.

VODKA - my favorites in order of preference, 1) Imperia, 2) Kauffman, 3) Russian Standard, 4) Beluga

COGNAC - Russian style from Dagastan

When out in the clubs, Long Island Tea is my usual choice - especially during the countdown evenings.

I will drink Coke lite and Pepsi lite during the day and with meals.  I will drink juice in the morning.

No problem with drinking water from the tap anywhere in Russia except in Peter.  Must be careful of Giardia. 
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 06:51:32 AM »
Generally speaking there is nothing wrong with US tap water. 

I agree. 

When I graduated from high school in 1972 I wish I would have been smart enought to figure out that people would pay more for supposedly "pure" water in a bottle than they would for gasoline.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline AJ

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »
Generally speaking there is nothing wrong with US tap water. 

I agree. 

When I graduated from high school in 1972 I wish I would have been smart enought to figure out that people would pay more for supposedly "pure" water in a bottle than they would for gasoline.
:offtopic:
As a prior state licensed water operator class 1A , (populations exceeding 2 million)I can assure you public drinking /tap water is by far more regulated and safe than bottled water.
USEPA and State EPA regulates and creates the guidelines and standards for potable /tap water,zero tolerance for indicator organisms much less actually pathogens or carriers, -zero.The ppm that can be present of various natural ammonia,fluoride(yes its natural,yet sometimes added) or minerals is considerably more strict than bottled water as well.
The quickest way for a public water supply while routinely testing their customers water to fail ,,is to take the sample from a customers tap that has a add on filter,,the best breeding ground in the system  for the vary pathogen  organisms you do not want to drink.
Bottled water in the huge percentage of cases is simple local tap water bottled ..for $1.00 per 16 oz vs $1.00 per thousand gallons.
Some is filtered,,is its labeled as such ,or distilled,most are simple packaged with some minerals added for taste,,so thats a reason to purchase if taste is the issue,not safety.
Bottled water is regulated by the USFDA which has far higher tolerances for all kinds of chemical additives,naturally occurring carcinogens,and pathogens.
Similar to jacks line in "A Few Good Men" most folks dont want to know the truth.lol
The typical wastewater plant (yes sewage treatment effluent) regulations is almost  strict than the food and drug administrations on bottled water.Requiring it to meet the *approximate* safety standard of a 9 year old drinking approximately 2 liters at a sitting, and having no ill effect.
While The FDA on bottled water allows a given amount of fecal coli-form.
Drink up bottled water lovers :)
Hey i drink the stuff too ,as its often convenient,but if there is a tap around,i'm drinking tap water.

The taste factor in local public water supplies is source water indicated- surface or deep aquifer which  changes langeliers index and various minerals present.
Trust me you would absolutely hate truly purified water to drink,, the lab uses such and  no way would you routinely drink it.

If you don't like your local tap water because of a chlorinated taste.Put it in a open pitcher and leave it in the fridge over night,, the small 0.8 to 1.4 ppm is gone over night to the atmosphere.
Your bottled water places in the vast majority are doing just that, which while increasing the chance of pathogens reentering the water, it does rid it of the chlorine ,and associated tastes.
Filters like briti work as well..but to me are not as safe ,,as they are again a place i would have NEVER have any crew take a sample, as its is sure to fail the routine public water saefty tests.(while yes passing FDA standard)
 Larry i havnt looked into it about NYC,, odds are the source water either suits your particular tastes, or they are using ultraviolet or ozone as a disinfection process vs chlorination.
Anymore of Europe uses ozone or ultra violet as their disinfection process. it's becoming more popular in the west the last couple decades.There are numerous positives and negatives of all disinfection processes.

More than you wanted to know i'm sure lol

In the FSU i drink the same things i drink here..
Although I dont mess around with the tap water if on a short trip.
This has little to do with fear of pathogens..the human body accustomed to certain water can easily be hit with diarrhea or other symptoms simply by a water with a different mineral  content if drinking in any volume and i like to stay hydrated especially during air travel ,airports etc..
Travelers experiencing that kind of discomfort blaming it on local tap water are often correct at the root,, but not about the why,,its likely quite safe,after all locals arnt experiencing any issue and neither would the traveler when his body adjusted,but who wants their trip to be a bowel  adjustment period?
 :o

Offline Larry

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
Larry i havnt looked into it about NYC,, odds are the source water either suits your particular tastes, or they are using ultraviolet or ozone as a disinfection process vs chlorination.
Anymore of Europe uses ozone or ultra violet as their disinfection process. it's becoming more popular in the west the last couple decades.

Years ago I read a Consumer Report evaluation of various waters, mostly bottled but also New York City tap water.  The latter did extemely well in the blind taste-tests.  I heard the theory that this was because of the source, which is in the Catskills.  I just tried to find that write-up.  I couldn't find it online but while I was searching for it I came across another thing you mentioned.  NYC uses ultra-violet disinfection.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »
In the FSU I drink, bottled water, black tea, juice and only occasionally
a piva or vina.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls