The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Another Newbie Checks In  (Read 1697 times)

Offline virgo1

Another Newbie Checks In
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »
Hi Guys
I have been lurking for a while soaking up info and generally enjoying reading all the great info available.
Well, Im from Ireland! I have just kind of finished a relationship with a very attractive vibrant and wonderful girl from Kherson, so I have some experience. I dont want to go in to all the details, but I have recently become a grand father (rocked me to the core!) and I think the thought of it was too much for her!
Any way, upwards and onwards :) Back in the saddle!! I had already booked a flight to Odessa, so, for a small fee, I managed to get it changed to Kiev and in 8 days I am heading to Sumy to see a lady that I had been corresponding with before Miss Kherson cast the spell! No!! Im not on the rebound, I kinda still had this lady from Sumy in my mind, and I guess I want to see if any thing develops before I make the decision on wether to continue trawling the FSU for a life partner, or return to the world  of middle aged, slightly overweight, western women etc, etc!
I will try and contribute positively in any way I can to this forum, meanwhile, any tips on how to spend cold days in Sumy, and wether the Maruska (spelling) bus leaves from the airport or bus station (Her agency want $214 each way for a pick up >:() will be greatfully appreciated.

Offline DonA

Re: Another Newbie Checks In
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 01:00:55 PM »
Welcome Virgo,

We do need some more of my fellow Irishmen here. We are overrun with limeys and Aussies  ;D

I know I'm gonna get hit on the head for that remark  :sick0002:

All the Best,

DonAz

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 01:06:42 PM »
"Virgo,"

Welcome to RUA, I hope you enjoy the board and post abit more about your experiences.
ECR844

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:30:02 PM »
Welcome Virgo:

Also read your question.  for starters Borispol (airport) is about 40 kilometres outside of Kiev.  There is a local bus from there approximately every hour to the main train station in Kiev.  From there you can get a train to Sumy.  I expect the cost of this will be far less than the agency quote for pickup and delivery.

Also there are many taxis at the airport you may be able to get one to drive you to Sumy at a cheeper rate, but need to know someone you can trust to work with you on this as you do not want to get in with the wrong crowd etc.  This would work well for example if your lady arrives to meet you at the airport. (The cost for her tain to Kiev and bus to the airport will be quite small compared to what was quoted to you as well.)  You could even arrange for the 2 of you to spend a couple of days in Kiev before returning to Sumy to give yourselves some breathing room to get to know more about each other too.

There is also at least one thread from someone else travelling to Sumy that may give you some answers too.  Of course you can always PM some of the guys that know that city too so as to get some first hand knowledge and experience from them ahead of time too.

Again welcome.  Wes.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
Warm welcome to Virgo1 from another Virgo, born on the 13  :P !

This world would definitely turn into a mess, if we wouldn't be bringing some order and our "down to earth" attitude into it  :chuckle:

BTW, one of the moderators, Jooky, is also a 9/13 Virgo  :-X

Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 02:03:22 PM »
Welcome Virgo1,,

Get a bus into Kiev or a a taxi into Kiev from the airport is only $35 then as Wes says you can get the train, or do as I did, meet your lady in Kiev, spend a few days there and then travel together, much nicer.

Chris
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 02:15:43 PM »
Welcome Virgo, can we call you a UKer or are you from the South?  ;D

Either way, close enough, we need to dilute the yanks a bit.  :laugh:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline virgo1

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
Warm welcome to Virgo1 from another Virgo, born on the 13  :P !

BTW, one of the moderators, Jooky, is also a 9/13 Virgo  :-X

This is getting spooky!!! I was also born on 9/13!!! could this be a sign of some kind :)
Thanks for all the positive comments and good advice, mucho appreciated

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »
 Hey Virgo1,

First of all, welcome!   My g/f living with me in the states is from Sumy, and there is another member here 'BGreed'  who recently married a woman from Sumy, so if you have any questions we would be the guys to ask about that.

MBS01 gave the best advice about transportation. Just take a bus or taxi from Borispol to Kiev, and take the train to Sumy from there. I think it's about an 8 hour trip, I'll have to ask Nataly.

I would also reccomend staying in Kiev a few days, it's a beautiful city and plenty to do. I will ask Nataly about some fun things you can do in Sumy to kill time. Her Mom has helped foreigners before, so if you need anything just send me a PM, and I'm sure we can help you out. 

Have a great time, and post any questions or comments you have, we look forward to hearing from you. :)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »
Welcome to the board Virgo1..

Becoming a grand father was one of the happy moments in my life and I found no problem been accepted as a Dedouska from the ladies I have dated.

If you need any help and contacts for transportation and apartments in Kiev please PM and will let you have the contact details of some reliable people.

Anyway regards from a Grandfather now having face time in Russia with my young woman......

Welcome
Wiz

OK here is - 30C today.......so here a couple of photos today.

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 02:52:26 AM »

This is getting spooky!!! I was also born on 9/13!!!

could this be a sign of some kind :)

This definitely IS a sign, but of what kind? Who knows... Both Jooky and me happened to meet a lot of completely crazy people during this adventure - hope your fate would be somehow more "sane"  ::)

Anyway, we can spare reading & posting time of other RUAdventure users next September, as there can be just one "happy birthday" thread for 3 of us  :-*
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Late Takeoff

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:38:54 PM »
Welcome Virgo,

You know my Grandpap McConoughey had the same problem when I was born. Really cut into his romance prospects. Of course his staying married to Grandma McConoughey (formerly McHusker) probably had a lot to do with that, too.

Good approach for you to keep several irons in the fire - what I call "back-ups." This is especially important because of all the extra uncertainties associated with Western men pursuing Russian women.

You ought to be able to find a very nice Russian woman who is not a Grandma, but still-hot mother of a fully grown child (hence an independent child who won't be a burden to you or your budding relationship with the hot Russian mom.)

My Russian wife both surprised and delighted me picking a name for our daughter from a list of Celtic names I showed her ("Alana,' which she then shortened to "Lana"). I thought for sure we'd end up with Tanya or something like that.

(Yes, I'm related to actor Matthew M. It's all on my Mom's side.)

In any case, welcome and good luck. Just keep working those back-ups.

DS
DS

Registration