The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Thrill of the hunt? Pursuing Perfection? Why does it take so long in some cases?  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
You seem like a good guy, although I have always questioned (from your previous posts) your ability to understand the differences in cultures and mentality. Matter of fact, you seem to know almost nothing about the culture you are marrying into. I am just saying.

All I can say is "Time will tell"  I understand your point.

LoneDrake could you please try to quote in a manner so that the audience knows who you are quoting?  Thanks.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline doc holiday

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: None Yet
For what it is worth, I think people confuse fortune and luck often.  Luck simply means if the game repeated itself a number of times would the outcome be the same as it was or different?  If you were put in the same scenario 100 times and the outcome turned out as it did more than 50 times you were not lucky, it is simple probability.

I believe I have had a lot of good fortune in my life, but very little of the good or bad things that have happened have been good or bad luck.  Most of the things that have happened to me were more likely than not to have happened given the decisions that individuals involved made.

My wife is the first FSUW I met in this manner.  I had dated an FSUW before, but not in this context.  We might one summer and spent the entire summer together.  We corresponded a great deal before we met and put in a lot of effort in getting to know each other.  We spent 3 months together during her visit and got to know each other quite well.  The following summer she returned and we spent almost 15 months together before we were engaged.  Some might call it lucky to get married to the first FSUW woman you meet.  I would say that spending 18 months together in total before proposing is probably much more time than the average couple in this pairing spends together before an engagement takes place.  And it makes it more likely that you will succeed.  There were a number of women I corresponded with who seemed like high quality women, but for one reason or another I knew were not right for me (or perhaps I was not right for them!).

Knowing who you are, what you want, what you can offer someone, and being willing to put in all the work to make something special work before you ever meet a woman increases your odds for success I think. 

In general, people who attribute the success of others to luck rarely ever achieve any success themselves.

All of that said, I do consider myself blessed to have met my wife.  I cherish every day we have together.  But, to attribute it to luck is foolish and belittles what we have together.
I'm your huckleberry

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
In general, people who attribute the success of others to luck rarely ever achieve any success themselves.

Absolutely true,
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
And then there's some of us who thoroughly appreciate his avatar. Don't change a thing, Bill  :thumbsup:

This from a guy who would rather go on Safari in Africa than date a real woman in the FSU... :sick0012:

Oooooooh. Good dig. Yeah, that one hurt  (:)

Not sure I would want to take an FSUW (or any) on a safari so this makes sense to knock it out now.  I went on a photo safari in  1986 while spending a week in Mombasa.  One of the greatest adventures I have experienced.  FSU dating takes more preparation so why not get the easier trips done now...FSUW aren't going anywhere...

Thanks Mike. I'm sure Africa will be an absolutely amazing experience. Besides, Anteros wasn't being serious anyway. Were you Anteros?

Just an observation that your priorities are different than most of the men who post here, which you confirmed and that's fine.  IMO most who post here are at a point where they would rather spend time and money going to Russia or Ukraine for the possibility of getting busy with a beautiful woman with a sexy accent and body and the possibility of meeting their other half.

I got my travel bug out in my 20's so would rather be with someone on a trip than by myself; don't like to travel long distances anymore TBH unless it's for what I mentioned above.

My goal is much the same as most of the men that post on here. More specifically that is to find a compatible Slavic beauty that I'm crazy about and that feels the same about me. My TIMELINE is probably different than a lot of men that post on this forum. I have a very compartmentalized personality. As much as it pains me on a daily basis to deal with being alone and the local dating scene, there are simply certain bucket list items and personal goals that I want to have met before pursuing something as serious and time, money, and emotionally intensive as finding a life partner/wife on practically the other side of the world.

Of course I could start now, but I just have that personality that any major life decision, purchase or pursuit I tend to research the hell out of and only commit to when I'm very ready to do so. Call it anal, meticulous, or whatever, but it's served me well in life so I think I'll continue to employ this approach to any serious steps in life.

Translation: I'm VERY serious about marrying a FSUW and will start when I'm God damned good and ready. It's not like I traveled all the way to Kharkov to meet Michael Mordinson just to have dinner with him. He's a hell of a nice and professional guy, but I also hope to use his services in the future (as well as EM).

Offline lonedrake

Bill,

I love the new avatar. It always amazes me when a fox can dive down into three feet of snow and pinpoint exactly where that mouse is. :thumbsup:

Offline lonedrake

LoneDrake could you please try to quote in a manner so that the audience knows who you are quoting?  Thanks.

I honestly do not know how to.

If the only way to do it is to end up with a post like this

Posted by: GuppyCaptain
« on: Today at 01:33:20 AM » Insert Quote
Quote from: Anteros on Yesterday at 08:10:33 PM
Quote from: GuppyCaptain on December 27, 2013, 06:06:25 PM
Quote from: Mikeav8r on December 27, 2013, 04:35:54 PM
Quote from: GuppyCaptain on December 27, 2013, 03:50:31 PM
Quote from: Anteros on December 16, 2013, 05:43:14 PM
Quote from: GuppyCaptain on December 16, 2013, 05:32:55 PM
And then there's some of us who thoroughly appreciate his avatar. Don't change a thing, Bill 

This from a guy who would rather go on Safari in Africa than date a real woman in the FSU...

Oooooooh. Good dig. Yeah, that one hurt 

Not sure I would want to take an FSUW (or any) on a safari so this makes sense to knock it out now.  I went on a photo safari in  1986 while spending a week in Mombasa.  One of the greatest adventures I have experienced.  FSU dating takes more preparation so why not get the easier trips done now...FSUW aren't going anywhere...

Thanks Mike. I'm sure Africa will be an absolutely amazing experience. Besides, Anteros wasn't being serious anyway. Were you Anteros?

Just an observation that your priorities are different than most of the men who post here, which you confirmed and that's fine.  IMO most who post here are at a point where they would rather spend time and money going to Russia or Ukraine for the possibility of getting busy with a beautiful woman with a sexy accent and body and the possibility of meeting their other half.

I got my travel bug out in my 20's so would rather be with someone on a trip than by myself; don't like to travel long distances anymore TBH unless it's for what I mentioned above.

I will just pass. that to annoying for me.

The thing is if you read the thread and all posts you will know who said what

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+

Learn here: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5068.msg124781#msg124781
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline AJ

All of that said, I do consider myself blessed to have met my wife.  I cherish every day we have together.  But, to attribute it to luck is foolish and belittles what we have together.

Just a different view.
The rather random act of contacting each other , random complete strangers on a planet of billions, then later flying over to meet my wife as a person of romantic interest, in another country , that THEN resulted in marriage,  versus all the other possible out comes of a first date- is not some natural conclusion to pre- vetting , pre- planning , etc. it was luck ,blessed, fortune , destiny.. whatever anyone wants to label it.

Granted ,certainly our time spent getting to know each other, prior to marriage isn't luck or fortune.

To say I was lucky to meet her , I was lucky she happened to contact me , and me her,
simply takes nothing away from each of our investments into the future of the relationship after meeting.

I don't see it as belittling the relationship to simply admit it was a pretty haphazard and random occurrence that brought us together at its root,as that's most always the case.

Further while i do read people well, I'll take no credit for being able to *see* any compatibility ,just from a random internet profile or photos, that were merely interesting enough for me to respond.
Yes, after that initial contact- us both being able to read people well I do think helped increase the odds we would be compatible. A lot of communication, a lot of time spent together helped establish that.

Vetting prior to a trip should naturally increase a couples odds, as well as more time spent together.
 Choices to do so are not luck.
Still I can't tell those people who communicated long and thoroughly,seemed to be in-tune which each other,  yet upon meeting felt no spark at all, that they could have made choices that would have helped them ultimately find someone more quickly in this venture.

I just do not think there is some magic formula or a vetting process or skill that combats the randomness of love in human relationships?
Are certain skills , or actions helpful? Absolutely!
 yet if anyone  could bottle it up, and it was as easy as do this, not that.
this forum wouldn't exist,past a couple of posts,  and it could be be nailed down to one trip , every time, period!  As long as you just followed steps 1,2 and 3.
:)

So back to the original question of the thread, are those looking long, making mistakes or simply not
fortunate in the game of contacting random strangers , which would work out to be compatible?

My guess it's a big mix of simply poor luck in contacts,poor choices in means of  contacting or  reading people, not inherently compatibly personality types, which greatly narrows the field for them..
(which gets back as well to those they contact perhaps being this way as well)
as many reasons as there are individual traits and personality types.

Offline BelleZeBoob

Great post AJ  :thumbsup:
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Anteros

Quote from: Anteros

Learn here: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5068.msg124781#msg124781

Spasibo! 

Offline doc holiday

Just a different view.
The rather random act of contacting each other , random complete strangers on a planet of billions, then later flying over to meet my wife as a person of romantic interest, in another country , that THEN resulted in marriage,  versus all the other possible out comes of a first date- is not some natural conclusion to pre- vetting , pre- planning , etc. it was luck ,blessed, fortune , destiny.. whatever anyone wants to label it.

Granted ,certainly our time spent getting to know each other, prior to marriage isn't luck or fortune.

To say I was lucky to meet her , I was lucky she happened to contact me , and me her,
simply takes nothing away from each of our investments into the future of the relationship after meeting.

I don't see it as belittling the relationship to simply admit it was a pretty haphazard and random occurrence that brought us together at its root,as that's most always the case.

Further while i do read people well, I'll take no credit for being able to *see* any compatibility ,just from a random internet profile or photos, that were merely interesting enough for me to respond.
Yes, after that initial contact- us both being able to read people well I do think helped increase the odds we would be compatible. A lot of communication, a lot of time spent together helped establish that.

Vetting prior to a trip should naturally increase a couples odds, as well as more time spent together.
 Choices to do so are not luck.
Still I can't tell those people who communicated long and thoroughly,seemed to be in-tune which each other,  yet upon meeting felt no spark at all, that they could have made choices that would have helped them ultimately find someone more quickly in this venture.

I just do not think there is some magic formula or a vetting process or skill that combats the randomness of love in human relationships?
Are certain skills , or actions helpful? Absolutely!
 yet if anyone  could bottle it up, and it was as easy as do this, not that.
this forum wouldn't exist,past a couple of posts,  and it could be be nailed down to one trip , every time, period!  As long as you just followed steps 1,2 and 3.
:)

So back to the original question of the thread, are those looking long, making mistakes or simply not
fortunate in the game of contacting random strangers , which would work out to be compatible?

My guess it's a big mix of simply poor luck in contacts,poor choices in means of  contacting or  reading people, not inherently compatibly personality types, which greatly narrows the field for them..
(which gets back as well to those they contact perhaps being this way as well)
as many reasons as there are individual traits and personality types.

If you (or anyone) wants to think of it in these terms, then I do not disagree.  Sure, in the scheme of life the amount of specific, random things that had to take place for ANYTHING in life to have happened is unlikely.  If you took 200 events that were each going to happen 99% of the time, the likelihood of them all happening is about 13%.  A low probability event.  But, that outcome is still FAR more likely than any other specific outcome.  Are you lucky that something good happened that only had a 13% chance of happening or was it not luck at all in that the outcome that was most likely to happen actually did happen?  I understand both viewpoints.

I mean that in most cases when someone makes a decision the outcome of that decision was the one most likely to occur.  This is tautological.  If someone only made 2 or 3 choices in life then sure, they could have been unlucky.  But given the mass number of things you pointed out had to take place for two people to meet the laws of probability eventually take hold as N gets large and the most likely outcome will generally take place.
I'm your huckleberry

Offline doc holiday

More specifically, I think there are a lot of reasons it takes some people a long time and many of them have been mentioned.

One of them is our concept of time.  A guy in the US who has limited vacation/travel time might only be able to make two trips a year.  If it takes that guy 5 years before finding a woman to marry did it really take so long?  That guy honestly might have been far more efficient than a guy who looked locally, was able to date every week and meet new women every week and eventually got married in 2 years.  The first guy might have only met 7 or 8 women and the second guy might have dated 20.  Given the nature of this endeavor, it is not surprising that it takes a long time for a lot of people.

I'm your huckleberry

Offline Anteros

And then there's some of us who thoroughly appreciate his avatar. Don't change a thing, Bill  :thumbsup:

This from a guy who would rather go on Safari in Africa than date a real woman in the FSU... :sick0012:

Call it anal, meticulous, or whatever, but it's served me well in life so I think I'll continue to employ this approach to any serious steps in life.

Translation: I'm VERY serious about marrying a FSUW and will start when I'm God damned good and ready. It's not like I traveled all the way to Kharkov to meet Michael Mordinson just to have dinner with him. He's a hell of a nice and professional guy, but I also hope to use his services in the future (as well as EM).

So, you travelled all the way from the USA to Kharkov, Ukraine, but only met with the male owner of an agency (Michael Mordinson) but did not meet with any ladies?   :smokin:

Something is seriously wrong with that picture, but maybe it's just my opinion. 

Perhaps if you had met with 5 or 6 ladies, you would have met one who wanted to join you on Safari in Africa.  But if you prefer to watch the ass-end of a pack of Zebra's as they run away from your Land Rover by yourself, by all means to each his own.   :chuckle:

Offline Manny

So, you travelled all the way from the USA to Kharkov, Ukraine, but only met with the male owner of an agency (Michael Mordinson) but did not meet with any ladies?   :smokin:

Perhaps if you had met with 5 or 6 ladies, you would have met one who wanted to join you on Safari in Africa.  But if you prefer to watch the ass-end of a pack of Zebra's as they run away from your Land Rover by yourself, by all means to each his own.   :chuckle:

Why are you so concerned with his technique? Do you want to date Guppy?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Anteros

Why are you so concerned with his technique? Do you want to date Guppy?

Touche.  No, I was just pulling his leg a bit.  Sorry Guppy.

Here's wishing everyone success in the New Year.  For me I've resolved to line up a date with a local FSUW.   :-X

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search

Call it anal, meticulous, or whatever, but it's served me well in life so I think I'll continue to employ this approach to any serious steps in life.

Read the last seven words of your post, rinse and repeat.

tiphat

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
But if you prefer to watch the ass-end of a pack of Zebra's as they run away...
Gosh, that sounds hot!  :laugh: But I have to agree with Guppy, to each his own!