The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: what are the chances of Victorias Secret bra/panties making it ti Lugansk intact  (Read 13930 times)

Offline JL

• Trips: Semi-Resident
by intact I mean still usable. :) Will something so small draw attention and prying fingers or is it safe to mail
relativly inexpensive? Is DHL or FED EX or another carrier preferred?
thanks,
Jim

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Daft question maybe but is that not the kind of gift best given in person?
Or are you dressing her up for her boyfriend?  :8)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Zachris

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
  • Trips: 5-10
What do you mean by "inexpensive?"

Sending a package, even a small one, can cost upwards of $100.

Numquam tribuere ad malitia quod sufficienter explicatur stultitia.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Никогда не приписывать злобы, которое может быть адекватно объяснено глупостью.

Offline JL

inexpensive = approx $45. She has been asking for some VC stuff for months. Not sure whether to trust a carrier or just bring it myself.

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
A question purely out of curiosity JL - is the intended recipient of this gift the lady discussed below?

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=18874.msg313180#msg313180
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
If, as it appears, this is a first visit, the one where you will be astounded at just how fast her English improves, I'd take the panties with me,if I were you. You have a good reason to do so and, well, if you are meeting very shortly anyway, then it will be nice for you to enjoy your gift together.

I am sure a successful lawyer can manage some nice foundation garments to amaze and surprise you without you having to send some ahead of you. ;)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline ashbyclarke

• Trips: 20+
by intact I mean still usable. :) Will something so small draw attention and prying fingers or is it safe to mail
relativly inexpensive? Is DHL or FED EX or another carrier preferred?
thanks,
Jim

Dhl is bad for some unknown reason, I mean really bad or was last year, I guess they're not liked.

Use another carrier, but as mentioned maybe cheaper to take them with you.

Carriage to Ukraine isn't cheap, costs more than the item itself!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline mobob

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
When are you going? If it's really soon, just take it with you. If not, mail it, USPS.

I've sent countless packages. In the course of my journeys, only had three not arrive. On the customs tags I usually wrote 'socks, $3.00, candy, $2.00 '. If it's a nominal value AND < 4 pounds, it won't draw much attention. And of course, there were socks and candy inside, I just didn't list everything. And yes, no matter what carrier you use, even the good ole USPS, you're gonna pay. Four pounds runs about $28. Postage is usually much more than the cost of the items inside. However, the value is what makes it worthwhile - the time you spend getting it, the effort you went to sending it there, etc etc etc, and the recipient's desire to get it. Most packages I've sent take about three weeks to get there. Sometimes < 10 days, once in a great while a month. If you do use USPS, do not use the express mail boxes. They draw too much attention. Get a plain box and wrap it in plain brown paper. For the labels, I put the TO label in cyrillic, including UKRAINE at the very bottom, and the return label in english. Some clerks would have a fit with it being Russian, some not. Having that bottom part - UKRAINE - in english seems to help. If they argue, just go to another post office. As long as the return address is ok, they've got nothing to complain about. And, you write the customs tag in english, so just ignore them.

Undergarments are a rather personal item to give a UA woman. That said, if that's what she's requested, and it's not too crazy ($), as it sounds it isn't, why not involve her in the process? ie: send her to VS website so she can pick out something she likes. She might be blown away with the variety of choices. If you're in a hurry to send something, visit the store. Just be aware that what's online isn't always available at the store.

BTW, I usually did put socks and chocolate in the package. Both were always well received. And with the weather there, the socks get utilized much more than I imagined.

If this is prior to a first visit, keep in mind that sending stuff gives no entitlements. What you're doing is a nice gesture, nothing more. Ok, that part of my lecture is done.

Good luck.

Offline Krassie

• Treat people the way you want to be treated
  • Trips: None Yet
JL:    better bring yourself ( from experience).

Offline Vinnvinny

Unfortunately I cannot offer you any more guidance to what you already have been furnished with as typically the gifts I present are in the form of cash donations, and on the odd occasion an infestation that requires ointment.

However, I would like to ask if the recipient of your generous gifts will be posing for photos in her newly acquired garments and, will you be prepared to share these with the good and honourable members of this forum?

Thank you most kindly in advance. :thumbsup:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
Unfortunately I cannot offer you any more guidance to what you already have been furnished with as typically the gifts I present are in the form of cash donations, and on the odd occasion an infestation that requires ointment.

However, I would like to ask if the recipient of your generous gifts will be posing for photos in her newly acquired garments and, will you be prepared to share these with the good and honourable members of this forum?

:laugh:   tiphat 
Слава Україні

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
$11.40 will get one pound to Ukraine in a large, first-class envelope. If you want to improve the chances that it will arrive, you will have to make a redundant mailing. (This is what I did with important documents.)

Offline ashbyclarke

My guess, this will be the cheapest part of the relationship, you wait for boris to collect you from the airport !

Underwear before meeting, you're being had my friend.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Manny

I took the underwear with me (we probably all do). No sense sending it ahead for Boris to enjoy. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline JL

well I'm doing as you guys suggested. Carrying it in my bag....after all VC stuff isn't  exactly bulky. I told her to go to the site and pick out what she wanted.....lord knows I don't know what she wants.....I know what I might like but ??????. Anyway She is a good friend and has done me a lot of favors, translating things and answering questions and helping me with other things. She is a very cute 28 year old....has a Ukrainian boyfriend. She got so excited about VC stuff I couldn't believe it. My girlfriend says most girls love it. I didn't know it was only available in the US....at least they only list US locations on their site. I'm surprised it isn't available in Europe if it is indeed not. had to postpone my trip a little while but I'm finally booked for Saturday.
Thanks all

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
Why did I just hear the unmistakable sound of a needle scratching across a record?
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
well I'm doing as you guys suggested. Carrying it in my bag....after all VC stuff isn't  exactly bulky. I told her to go to the site and pick out what she wanted.....lord knows I don't know what she wants.....I know what I might like but ??????. Anyway She is a good friend and has done me a lot of favors, translating things and answering questions and helping me with other things. She is a very cute 28 year old....has a Ukrainian boyfriend. She got so excited about VC stuff I couldn't believe it. My girlfriend says most girls love it. I didn't know it was only available in the US....at least they only list US locations on their site. I'm surprised it isn't available in Europe if it is indeed not. had to postpone my trip a little while but I'm finally booked for Saturday.
Thanks all

Did I understood correctly: you are buying underwear to a friend and your girlfriend knows about it?
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member

When reading this response, I'm reminded of the C-Span show "Questions To The Prime Minister".  i can picture our man Vinny as a conservative member of the house and poising such a question.   :P
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Muzh_1

well I'm doing as you guys suggested. Carrying it in my bag....after all VC stuff isn't  exactly bulky. I told her to go to the site and pick out what she wanted.....lord knows I don't know what she wants.....I know what I might like but ??????.

This is where you can blow it big time. Get what you want her to wear. Be the man.  :evilgrin0002:

Offline Barbossa

My girlfriend would be upset if I bought VS panties and bras for anyone other than her.  Even if it were for my sisters.  IF you know her well enough, then your girlfriend should also know her well enough.   The gift should be from your girlfriend to her friend.

If that is not the case, then you shouldn't be taking underwear and bras to a woman who is not your girlfriend.  If that is too hard for you to understand, you will never be able to keep an FSUW.

Offline ashbyclarke

My girlfriend would be upset if I bought VS panties and bras for anyone other than her.  Even if it were for my sisters.  IF you know her well enough, then your girlfriend should also know her well enough.   The gift should be from your girlfriend to her friend.

If that is not the case, then you shouldn't be taking underwear and bras to a woman who is not your girlfriend.  If that is too hard for you to understand, you will never be able to keep an FSUW.

Could be a cunning plan to bed her mate as well ;)

Let me think on it :)

Offline Manny

Thanks all

Did I understood correctly: you are buying underwear to a friend and your girlfriend knows about it?

I can imagine the reaction of afore mentioned Yuri when he finds out some foreign bloke is buying his squeeze undies. Said septic might get a rather different welcome to Ukraine than he imagined.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Boris

I took the underwear with me (we probably all do). No sense sending it ahead for Boris to enjoy.

Damn... ;D

Offline BubbaGump

• Commercial Member
FWIW:  We now  have a "Victoria's Secret" shop in Nikolayev --- it's in the "City Center" mall.  :king:

Offline Barbossa

FWIW:  We now  have a "Victoria's Secret" shop in Nikolayev --- it's in the "City Center" mall.  :king:

Thank you, Bubba.  That is very, very, valuable information.