The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: RU UA KZ Moscow Trade Shows and Biz Opps Thread  (Read 12722 times)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
RU UA KZ Moscow Trade Shows and Biz Opps Thread
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
As it is now the first month of the New Year 2013 and after 5 years of Pent Up USA demand lots of positive info coming out of the USA and also amazing quite a bit of Trade in the BRICS as commodity prices stopped dropping and very smart folks on PBS's Consuelo Mack WealthTrack indicating even though EU and BRICS markets were basically down in 2012 US markets were a surprising good investment in 2012 and trending upward in 2013 as housing has bottomed out and rebounding and even China growth in Q4 2012 was still a red hot 8% GDP growth rate.  Even Sovereign Society saying the defensive "risk off" currency plays USD Swiss Franc and Japan Yen are now all bottoming in demand cycle indicating a shift to Risk On investments in commodities stocks and bonds meaning the business cycle is turning positive - warning flag is at lot of this demand is due to Central Bank monetary easing so should proceed with caution...

These are the interesting links to the many trade shows in RU & Moscow and you can select any country/city really...

My modus operandi is simply BAOP - business and or pleasure - with a focus on business you would be surprised how many very interesting Trade Shows are all over Russia and the CIS states.... following are fairly good international Trade Shows and Conferences focused web site directories and if you are interested in a particular city you can also find the local on line newspaper - translate it via Google if no Eng button and search for local trade shows calender and events in that city as well.

http://www.biztradeshows.com/russia/

http://www.biztradeshows.com/russia/moscow/conferences.html

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: RU UA KZ Moscow Trade Shows and Biz Opps Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 05:54:55 PM »
Cuffers, good post, maybe worth while posting the pro's and cons of such a venture?

How business in these countries differs to that of our comfort zones?

Before you think I'm taking a pot shot, maybe anyone with knowledge would like to chip in with their experience? I'm willing to do the same, if it'd add value :)
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »
Cuffers, good post, maybe worth while posting the pro's and cons of such a venture?

Before you think I'm taking a pot shot, maybe anyone with knowledge would like to chip in with their experience? I'm willing to do the same, if it'd add value :)

AC - not even remotely considered a Pot Shot - only rules for this thread positive constructive and realistic info about the realities of Biz pros and cons in RU UA KZ Stans etc... or anywhereelse in BRICSA for that matter - No personal disrespecting or politics or other off topic sludge - lets keep it positive and about BIZ.

Nothing wrong with a good old Dutch Uncle reality check if necessary....

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »

AC - not even remotely considered a Pot Shot - only rules for this thread positive constructive and realistic info about the realities of Biz pros and cons in RU UA KZ Stans etc... or anywhereelse in BRICSA for that matter - No personal disrespecting or politics or other off topic sludge - lets keep it positive and about BIZ.

Nothing wrong with a good old Dutch Uncle reality check if necessary....

I like the dutchy  ;D    reminds me of a story!

Perhaps then we could do a piece on finance, i know I'd find that interesting....

My experience of Ukraine hasn't been positive, i think you'd find the trade show's there a shock to the system, if they're anything to go by I'd assume the stan's will be a lot worse, i.e none productive.

Maybe GDP might be a good indicator?
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
Just sent a PM to Danchik to post his Moscow Biz/Apts/Concierge services here as well:

Dan:

Feel free to post your contact info and services in this thread both Manny and I and others interested...

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=18586.msg304572#msg304572

Cheers,

Mike

Also anyone else like Uncle Pasha feel free too post contact info...

Note Airbnb very popular world wide now including Moscow and the rest of the known world ;)

Find a place to stay.
Rent from people in 34,812 cities and 192 countries.

https://www.airbnb.com/

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Moscow  927 listings - welcome to the new global FREE MARKET!

Better than Angies list photos of rooms/apts/homes and ratings of both Providers and Renters to keep everyone safe!

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
Is this a thread of business links then? Didn't know that was allowed?  :hidechair:

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 06:32:14 PM »
And considering you've not been to Russia, or that's my impression, I'm surprised you're pushing a site for apartments Cuffers, am I missing something here?

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
And considering you've not been to Russia, or that's my impression, I'm surprised you're pushing a site for apartments Cuffers, am I missing something here?

AC do I have to post my Visa to Moscow and Travel Tickets stubs for my BIZ trip in March 2010 - LOL I even posted here on RUA so Manny and Co could verify the Moscow IP adx from my APT wifi near the Lotte Center on Arbat...   Since then have perhaps 600+ days of biz work on various RU/Intl/USA biz...

Yes I have been to Moscow on business. And have worked multiple deals and am looking at at few trade shows in Moscow and elsewhere as BRICS biz picks up again.

LOL - it is not 100% necessary to travel every time you want to do business as we have progressed past quill pens and clipper ships - amazing what you can get done by Broadband - that said service providers were always welcome to post here on RUA from day one as long as they made it clear the services they were providing and introduced themselves and willing to contribute and help members at reasonable rates.  Even have a service providers section courtesy of Manny and Co.

Why trade shows?

All businesses need to be successful at sales and marketing to thrive.  Cold calling is basically completely ineffective in the modern inet social media age and LinkedIn is full of spam and scams and worse scammers...  and most people HATE spam unsolicited email...

http://www.nevercoldcall.com/blog/baylor-university-study-destroys-cold-calling/

So turns out good old Trade Shows where you can meet a lot of companies suppliers buyers in one place at one time is the old tried and true and still works biz networking tool.

Lots of folks pushing inbound marketing and Facebook bending over backwards to roll out new services to compete with Google and Bing PPC ads and Yahoo still trying to get reorganized and some folks experimenting with Twitter, Pinterest and a slew of other Web 2.0 sites...  Google has the PPC biz as 97% of Goog revs from ads (Search, YouTube, local-mobile-gps, and Zagats)... whereas FB has the demographics and much better targeting - both very dynamic and challenging to anyone trying to make sales and build their business.

Of course all intl biz you need to follow incoterms to minimize risks and insure positive outcomes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterms  (incoterms / incoterms 2010)

ila_rendered

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
You know the downfalls of trade shows right?

Generally they're for failing companies or the start ups in life? Successful companies don't need to advertise, trade shows are an expensive form of advertisement and full of small time wanna bees.

Just my thought of course, sorry cuffers.

You're never going to meet with the larger successful business but more the up and coming if they make it type.

Of course that's my opinion and relative to my trade.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »
Cuffy, what's your experience then of Russian deals? I asked chris and he answered honestly, perhaps you'd do the same?

I'm not point scoring I've a genuine interest in knowing, any help is always welcome :)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »

Generally they're for failing companies or the start ups in life? Successful companies don't need to advertise, trade shows are an expensive form of advertisement and full of small time wanna bees.

You're never going to meet with the larger successful business but more the up and coming if they make it type.

You are kidding right?  Have you ever been to Boston, NYC or Vegas or CES, industrial equipment medical equipment or home shows car shows exim shows etc etc?

IMHO Trade Shows now more powerful than ever in the age of Goog FB Twitting Web 2.0 etc...

Without getting into specifics I was just invited and attended a conference sponsored by EMC and Cisco for C Level decision makers and recommenders with a cocktail reception at the new hotels by the mega new Convention Center (3 football fields of space) and Word Trade Center complex financed by Fidelity Investments - not really small time wannabees if you ask me - but I read your "message" loud and clear....

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
Cuffy, what's your experience then of Russian deals? I asked chris and he answered honestly, perhaps you'd do the same?

I'm not point scoring I've a genuine interest in knowing, any help is always welcome :)

What do you specifically want to know?

Keep in mind I never discuss any specifics of my biz without an NDA and then only on a need to know basis as we all know in business success is secrecy and secrecy is success.

Not being an arse here mind you but setting parameters for any open public forum discussion to keep things friendly, professional and mutually beneficial.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »

Keep in mind I never discuss any specifics of my biz without an NDA and then only on a need to know basis as we all know in business success is secrecy and secrecy is success.

Not being an arse here mind you but setting parameters for any open public forum discussion to keep things friendly, professional and mutually beneficial.

You been paid on time? Honesty? How'd you conduct business? Insured? Credit? Issues thereof? Need I ask more?

Cuffers, I'm an honest chappy, I'd tell you anything, I've no secrets, not like your going to steal my trade, I'm here to share  :thumbsup:

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »

You been paid on time? Honesty? How'd you conduct business? Insured? Credit? Issues thereof? Need I ask more?

Cuffers, I'm an honest chappy, I'd tell you anything, I've no secrets, not like your going to steal my trade, I'm here to share  :thumbsup:

Refer to incoterms above - they work - most USA states Biz Dev agencies offer low cost courses and a lot of free online info... Google it.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »

Refer to incoterms above - they work - most USA states Biz Dev agencies offer low cost courses and a lot of free online info... Google it.

Perhaps you can help with buyers credit? or something? Or an LC or BG? It'll be surely helpful for me.

I can see you have a wealth of knowledge, I'd like to learn from you.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

You are kidding right?  Have you ever been to Boston, NYC or Vegas or CES, industrial equipment medical equipment or home shows car shows exim shows etc etc?

IMHO Trade Shows now more powerful than ever in the age of Goog FB Twitting Web 2.0 etc...

Without getting into specifics I was just invited and attended a conference sponsored by EMC and Cisco for C Level decision makers and recommenders with a cocktail reception at the new hotels by the mega new Convention Center (3 football fields of space) and Word Trade Center complex financed by Fidelity Investments - not really small time wannabees if you ask me - but I read your "message" loud and clear....

Sorry Cuffers, I'm not on a witch hunt here, but it's a forum, and we need to be honest.

If you look at the stats, I've not, but trade shows are in decline, not thriving, both US and UK, it's a fact, you only need to visit them to know that, I don't need anyone to tell me otherwise, unless your industry is not the norm, I don't know.

It's a good idea to enjoy yourself and meet like minded folk, but for a business model it's totally flawed.

Prove me wrong, I hope you can, it's such a shame of the modern world.

I exclude Russia from this, Ukraine, well it's not quantifiable.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

All failing businesses Cuffy, read all about it, car shows are an easy one, look it up.

Sorry buddy, as I said I hope you prove me wrong, but it's just an expensive way to advertise, I know that to well, the motorsport show became so expensive that nobody could afford it.

Why do i know that? because I've done it.

Spring fair (NEC Birmingham) - again became to expensive

List goes on, it's not the modern world, there the good old days, shamefully done.

As I said no witch hunt, I was asking your experience, I think we both know the answer, still maybe mileage in Russia but time is ticking my friend, and it is as I said in my previous post, major business don't need them any longer.

Shame.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
Curious that the USA and UK in the 5th year of an anemic recovery due to a UK/USA inspired global economic crisis based upon ballooned real estate and funky mortgage securities of dubious value backed by worthless CDS CDO derivatives - but that would eventually recover nicely if renegotiated i.e. loan modifications which is in fact happening right now in the USA with about $8.5 billion in fines paid by all the major mortgage securities pirates underwriters.  No criminal prosecutions or jail for the major executives in charge though.  Obama is in fact willing to negotiate!

So perhaps a more Global BRICS focus needs to be entertained...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Shows

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »

All failing businesses Cuffy, read all about it, car shows are an easy one, look it up.

Sorry buddy, as I said I hope you prove me wrong, but it's just an expensive way to advertise, I know that to well, the motorsport show became so expensive that nobody could afford it.

Why do i know that? because I've done it.

Spring fair (NEC Birmingham) - again became to expensive

List goes on, it's not the modern world, there the good old days, shamefully done.

As I said no witch hunt, I was asking your experience, I think we both know the answer, still maybe mileage in Russia but time is ticking my friend, and it is as I said in my previous post, major business don't need them any longer.

Shame.

One thing I do know when you have a FAIL mentality you fail...  so good luck with that.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »
Cuffers - I'm hardly fail mentality, i'm just trying to wake you up to the real world.

Trade shows are pants, full of new wanna bees, it's a fact.

You show me a successful trade show with an international company, or a thriving trade show?

They're a thing of the past, it's a shame.

Motor shows are even feeling the pinch, and they waist money on that type of thing, because they could, but not now.

I'm no expert, but I know first hand walking round these places they've shrunk, not a little, but massively.

Share your experience, I'll sign whatever you need signing, NDA whatever, not that it'll hold any weight in court, scary! But why would anyone want to steal your idea's?

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
Cuffers - I'm hardly fail mentality, i'm just trying to wake you up to the real world.

You show me a successful trade show with an international company, or a thriving trade show?

Motor shows are even feeling the pinch, and they waist money on that type of thing, because they could, but not now.

I'm no expert, but I know first hand walking round these places they've shrunk, not a little, but massively.

Share your experience, I'll sign whatever you need signing, NDA whatever, not that it'll hold any weight in court, scary! But why would anyone want to steal your idea's?

LOL AC it only took a few posts to flush out your hostile agenda and superior attitude - we will therefore never do any business of any kind and I will never post any of the Trade Shows I attend nor any of my business here that is a fact. Lesson learned thank you very much.

To say that trade shows are only for wannabees and are dead is a fairly rigid attitude imnsho.

As I said if anything the level of spamming and scamming on the internet just increases the value of meeting multiple vendors or customers/clients face to face at trade shows yet they are just part of an overall marketing and sales program.

As I tend to be a friendly and gregarious sort I sometimes even have to remind myself success is secrecy and secrecy is success. 

I learned a long time ago attitude is everything.  It is what it is.

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »
My in-country business experience is limited to small time retail/service stuff, a laundromat in Russia, a cafe and a beauty salon in Kharkov.

I am a big fan of Las Vegas trade shows as they always have the newest of the new ideas. I have attended many trade shows over the years in Ukraine. They used to be big though it was my experience that much of the traffic was public curiosity and retail to the general population. I looked for new ideas in the beauty salon area but anything I found I always researched to look for lower prices on the net. Other things I bought on the net I thought about replicating in China. Of course dealing with China is a nasty subject all its own and importing new items into Ukraine is a total bitch. Anyway, the last few trade shows I attended seemed totally empty and with the economy down as it is I think people got to be crazy to invest at this time still.

I did always like the idea of being on the other side of the counter and you can cut your expenses in a pyramid way by getting the kiosk owner to buy everything and invest their own money to do the shows. you only need the warehousing and inventory. It's a bit like Amway except you can start at the top. Overall, I look at this kind of business as for the corporate mindset and I do not much like that mindset.

As for giving credit to anyone in Ukraine or Russia, I think it is not all that necessary if the amount is small (under $10,000) I have done some black market loans and generally they pay on time for at least 4-6 months before that falls apart. I wouldn't trust the paper any loan was written on.

Now a decent investment is buying a van full of scooters from China and selling them from the van in the states.

It has been a little bit difficult to follow all this secret stuff so if I am on the wrong subject then.... never mind.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »

LOL AC it only took a few posts to flush out your hostile agenda and superior attitude - we will therefore never do any business of any kind and I will never post any of the Trade Shows I attend nor any of my business here that is a fact. Lesson learned thank you very much.

To say that trade shows are only for wannabees and are dead is a fairly rigid attitude imnsho.

As I said if anything the level of spamming and scamming on the internet just increases the value of meeting multiple vendors or customers/clients face to face at trade shows yet they are just part of an overall marketing and sales program.

As I tend to be a friendly and gregarious sort I sometimes even have to remind myself success is secrecy and secrecy is success. 

I learned a long time ago attitude is everything.  It is what it is.

Yep heard that before, still not buying into it.

As I said, no witch hunt, just facts. I like you would like them to succeed, unfortunately the likes of ebay have closed these places down, no longer are they profitable.

Did I say Russia still has a future? Think about it.

As a way to meet people? fine, just remember they're unlikely to be there the following year, harsh fact of life.

Maybe i'm wrong, but you're not giving me hope here.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
. Of course dealing with China is a nasty subject all its own and importing new items into Ukraine is a total bitch.

I really don't think it's for you. It's really nasty, and you've not a clue about exporting let alone importing into the Ukraine, save your money.

Besides who you going to sell to?

Think china want small orders? Think again.

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »
. Of course dealing with China is a nasty subject all its own and importing new items into Ukraine is a total bitch.

I really don't think it's for you. It's really nasty, and you've not a clue about exporting let alone importing into the Ukraine, save your money.

Besides who you going to sell to?

Think china want small orders? Think again.

Well, I have done it which is why I said its a bitch. Small orders yes, only for myself. I bought the latest for the beauty salon and the bitch started with the paperwork for sending the money from Ukraine, waiting 2 months past the due date for it to arrive, terrible customer service and then if the product is new to Ukraine it must be tested and more paperwork for a couple months. In that regard it is better to buy from the trade show but the prices were 50% cheaper by going direct to the source.

Now the 40' van of scooters to America was a different problem in that you had to be there 100% of the time overseeing or they would screw up the specs but in the end you park the van in a lot, advertise for a week and the van is empty in one day with a very nice profit.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.