The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: ГОСПОДА! Help please!  (Read 6937 times)

Offline gd777

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
ГОСПОДА! Help please!
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:23:48 AM »
Hi, I'm just wondering about ambiguity with this word: ГОСПОДА

Google translates it sometimes as "Lord", sometimes as "Gentlemen"... obviously the correct translation depends on the context.

My question is, an announcement on a facebook status update that begins with "ГОСПОДА!!"
Does this specifically mean "Gentlemen" (as in males), or can it ever be gender neutral? Like when people say "guys", sometimes it could mean males and females. Can ГОСПОДА be used the same way, or does it specifically address men?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: ГОСПОДА! Help please!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:34:26 AM »
Hi, I'm just wondering about ambiguity with this word: ГОСПОДА

Google translates it sometimes as "Lord", sometimes as "Gentlemen"... obviously the correct translation depends on the context.

My question is, an announcement on a facebook status update that begins with "ГОСПОДА!!"
Does this specifically mean "Gentlemen" (as in males), or can it ever be gender neutral? Like when people say "guys", sometimes it could mean males and females. Can ГОСПОДА be used the same way, or does it specifically address men?

Thanks for your help!

It's "Gentlemen".

"Guys" is way more informal and парни can be used for that.

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:46:08 AM »

Guys" is way more informal and парни can be used for that.

You answered my question. Can you( as in-is it appropriate) to use "guys' as we might in English is addressing  a group  eg  to say--'hi guys" instead of saying hello to each person specifically  as you arrive and respond to many "hello J's ?

Offline gd777

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:53:59 AM »

It's "Gentlemen".

Thanks Ade, just to be a bit more specific, ignore what I said about "guys". When the potential audience is men and women, does ГОСПОДА specifically address ONLY the men?

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:00:36 AM »

It's "Gentlemen".

Thanks Ade, just to be a bit more specific, ignore what I said about "guys". When the potential audience is men and women, does ГОСПОДА specifically address ONLY the men?

Gospozha is kind of 'Gentlewoman' or 'Madame' don't know the plural, I think it is Gospada, the same as above...

Remember is pronounced 'gaspaDA'.....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Ade

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 03:07:36 AM »

It's "Gentlemen".

Okay, wifey says that it's sometimes used when it's a mixed audience but she thinks it's a bit impolite to do so. The proper way would be to say, дамы и господа.

Gospozha is kind of 'Gentlewoman' or 'Madame' don't know the plural, I think it is Gospada, the same as above...

Remember is pronounced 'gaspaDA'.....

Nope, Gospada is male. Gospozha is female, singular. дамы is usually used to address many women.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:11:10 AM »
Gospadin is male singular I'm fairly sure....

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:11:21 AM »

It's "Gentlemen".

It depends. What context? People you know well? People who are of an equal status?
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 03:16:55 AM »

And I meant Gospozha os plural for both (possibly!)

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:23 AM »

Correct:

Господин is male and singular with the last syllable stressed while господа is the plural in the accusative with the last syllable also stressed. The female equivalents are госпожа/госпожи. All of these must not be confused with the word Господь which is used in the send of Lord/God.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 03:21:18 AM »

And I meant Gospozha os plural for both (possibly!)

No that's wrong, I think this now but asking the missus....

Gospodin - Masc. sing.

Gospozha - Fem. sing.

Gospoda - plural for both.

My brain hurts.....

Offline gd777

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 03:40:33 AM »

It depends. What context? People you know well? People who are of an equal status?

It is a facebook status update, addressing people on her fb friends list, which is made up of close friends, acquaintances, work colleagues and associates/customers.

The nature of the rest of the rest of the status update suggests she's addressing only those who would be interested in what she has to say (those involved in her line of work). I'm curious as to whether she is specifically addressing males.

In other words, could an announcement beginning with "ГОСПОДА" ever translate to "Ladies and Gentlemen" (or whatever non-gender-specific form of address), or would it always only mean "Gentlemen" (males, hear this!)?

I hope this clarifies the question a bit better??

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:46:36 AM »

I hope this clarifies the question a bit better??

What is clear is that it is a very good question and not a simple answer!

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 04:49:30 AM »
... an announcement beginning with "ГОСПОДА" ever translate to "Ladies and Gentlemen" (or whatever non-gender-specific form of address)?

Yes. An announcement beginning with "ГОСПОДА" always should be translated as "Ladies and Gentlemen". Господин translates as gentleman.

As per gramota.ru correct way in russian language to address is Господа!
Дамы и господа! came to russian language as copy from english of Ladies and Gentlemen!

http://www.gramota.ru/spravka/letters/?rub=rubric_94
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 05:36:33 AM »
Zemfira has a song called Gospoda, here's a linky, u tube never work for für mich....

Offline Ade

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 06:00:49 AM »
... an announcement beginning with "ГОСПОДА" ever translate to "Ladies and Gentlemen" (or whatever non-gender-specific form of address)?

Yes. An announcement beginning with "ГОСПОДА" always should be translated as "Ladies and Gentlemen". Господин translates as gentleman.

Дамы и господа! came to russian language as copy from english of Ladies and Gentlemen!

My wife admits she didn't know that. But she still thinks "ГОСПОДА" relates to gentlemen. So I guess it really depends on the person using it and what they think is correct usage rather than what the book says. ;)

Also, the very same site says here; http://www.gramota.ru/slovari/dic/?word=%E4%E0%EC%E0&all=x that;

2. Книжн.
Женщина вообще. Подать даме стул, руку. Пропустить даму вперёд. Не при дамах будет сказано. Дамы и господа!
(вежливое обращение к собравшимся).

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 06:06:54 AM »

My wife admits she didn't know that. But she still thinks "ГОСПОДА" relates to gentlemen. So I guess it really depends on the person using it and what they think is correct usage rather than what the book says. ;)

If it was used in the same context >>> Господа!Помогите!... it should be translated as Ladies and Gentlemen considering both genders.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline gd777

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »

Yes. An announcement beginning with "ГОСПОДА" always should be translated as "Ladies and Gentlemen".....

Thanks missAmeno, sounds like this is a good final answer I'll accept, and an interesting new source of learning for me!

So I guess it really depends on the person using it and what they think is correct usage rather than what the book says. ;)

She actually is quite a literary person and also very good with english grammar, so I presume russian grammar too. I reckon she'd be going by the book...

If it was used in the same context >>> Господа!Помогите!... it should be translated as Ladies and Gentlemen considering both genders.

Very similar context to how it was used, that is awesome information for me! thanks!

missAmeno and all the others! Thank you so much!!!

Goes to show Google translate can't fully take the place of a native speaker. A lesson for us all, if I was to put all my faith in the online translation, it would have given me serious (unwarranted) concerns about my little lady!

Ste, interesting piece of trivia about the song, I'll check it out!

:loving:

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 06:37:28 AM »
I could be wrong but I get the feeling the Gospoda stuff is from pre-revolutionary days I think derived from the word for Citizen, Gorozhanin etc....

It's been 'bought back' and usage changed somewhat...

Let's not get into 'Gosudar'! It's all flooding back!!

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 09:07:13 AM »

Also, the very same site says here; http://www.gramota.ru/slovari/dic/?word=%E4%E0%EC%E0&all=x that;

2. Книжн.
Женщина вообще. Подать даме стул, руку. Пропустить даму вперёд. Не при дамах будет сказано. Дамы и господа!
(вежливое обращение к собравшимся).

Ade, I had no idea that Дамы и господа! came from english language till I googled it today. Both Господа! and Дамы и господа! commonly used and I knew that Господа! addresses both genders. The only reason I decided to google it was that I had feeling Дамы и господа! more used nowadays while Господа! for me associated with literature and movies about pre-revolutionary Russia.

Ste, you are correct that its coming from pre-revolutionary days but it was used to address grandees/noblemen/magnates/landlords/etc and of course during soviet union such term was inappropriate to use as everyone became comrades. Now its coming back but used generally to address everyone regardless of social status and ranking. Nevertheless it will be always possible to use господа sarcastically in order to address those who are rich these days.
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
Reading about this now, about russian naming culture, seems the Name, Patronym, Surname wasn't always the norm, seems this was ok at one time (for female for example)

'MissAmeno MrArmenova Doch'. Interesting....

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
And presumably;

MrArmeno MrArmenovich Syn' - I dunno - have got that far in research yet.....

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
Ade, I had no idea that Дамы и господа! came from english language till I googled it today.

Technically, the concept of "дамы" certainly came from the from the French language as in French we would say "mesdames et messieurs" or "мои дамы и мои господа"
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »
Ade, I had no idea that Дамы и господа! came from english language till I googled it today.

Technically, the concept of "дамы" certainly came from the from the French language as in French we would say "mesdames et messieurs" or "мои дамы и мои господа"

Edited - wrong but moyikh in accusative - am I right - long time since I spake po-russkiy....Had to look it up...

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »

Edited - wrong

Why? Russia has a long history francophiles  :coffeeread:
"So do I" - Molly35ru