The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Anastasia.com scam or real?  (Read 101612 times)

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Anastasia.com scam or real?
« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
Not to my knowledge Brass.

Back in the early 2000's I know one guy who tried to file a class-action suit against Anastasia on behalf of any and all men who felt the company swindled them.  He had obtained about 75 hundred dissatisfied customer complaints as his evidence package.  I testified as a witness at the class action hearing.  He was successful in getting the class certified. After court, in his excitement of winning that first step, he told me he didn't really care about the other men and was only filing this suit to get Anastasia to pay him $100,000 to go away.

I got notice some months later that the case had been dismissed and I never heard from him or the court again so I assume he was successful. 

So in effect Anastasia got scammed... ;D

There is a huge difference between an unsatisfied customer and a swindle, of course. I can't help but think if Anastasia had "swindled" 7,500-/+ customers, a criminal investigation would have been launched much along the lines of the on line pharmacies or get rich quick schemes that you routinely hear and read about in the news and possibly even shut down. They still seem to be running a have a successful business?

I know in the "early days", many men were successful in getting "chargebacks" from their credit cards; claiming they never received the services they paid for.  This really pissed Elena off to no end.  She always figured once she had the customer's money it was hers whether she provided satisfactory service or not; and she would throw public fits about how those that did get these chargebacks were now basically stealing money from her.  Predictably perverted Russian perspective on the whole thing if you ask me. 

I understand she has since hired lawyers and drafted her contracts in such a way to make successfully obtaining a chargeback from a credit card virtually impossible.

On the other hand we give a generous percentage of 5% here at the forum of men who actually get on a plane and somewhere around 2-3% of men who actually finish the race (marriage).

You gotta ask yourself, if say even 10% of the clients catch on after getting their feet wet or are unsuccessful, "Hey, this isn't for me how do I get my money back?" then figure out a charge back on the generic excuse - unsatisfactory service or failure to deliver same - I could see a business owner getting a little peeved.

This isn't to say a customer shouldn't be able to get his money back for unsatisfactory service, however, those that enter into a contract with a marriage broker should probably be aware before they plug in the plastic that this endeavor isn't the same as buying a collectible on ebay (imo).

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »
On the other hand we give a generous percentage of 5% here at the forum of men who actually get on a plane and somewhere around 2-3% of men who actually finish the race (marriage).

You gotta ask yourself, if say even 10% of the clients catch on after getting their feet wet or are unsuccessful, "Hey, this isn't for me how do I get my money back?" then figure out a charge back on the generic excuse - unsatisfactory service or failure to deliver same - I could see a business owner getting a little peeved.

This isn't to say a customer shouldn't be able to get his money back for unsatisfactory service, however, those that enter into a contract with a marriage broker should probably be aware before they plug in the plastic that this endeavor isn't the same as buying a collectible on ebay (imo). 

OK Brass, do these guys deserve a refund?

Back in the days when "snail mail" was the only way to communicate with the FSU, Anastasia advertised an "Express Letter Service" to their male customers.  They claimed they send a DAILY DHL package to their Moscow office and for a small fee ($4) they would include your letter in that package.  Once in Moscow their staff would put it in a Russian-size envelope, readdress the letter in Cyrillic and mail it with Russian stamps.  They claimed this would speed delivery by 2-3 weeks and would increase reliability of delivery since it would not look like a foreign letter and was less likely to be riffled by curious postal workers looking to augment their pitiful government salary.

Sounds like a great deal, right?  Literally THOUSANDS of letters came in requesting this service.

What actually happened?  There was no DAILY DHL package.  Somebody slapped a $0.50 international airmail stamp on them and dropped them in the mailbox at the Winchester post office.  Saw it with my own eyes.  Nice 700% profit margin. 

The basic dishonesty at the core of the owners of this agency came through with every transaction they processed.       
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #277 on: August 09, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
OK Brass, do these guys deserve a refund?

Back in the days when "snail mail" was the only way to communicate with the FSU, Anastasia advertised an "Express Letter Service" to their male customers.  They claimed they send a DAILY DHL package to their Moscow office and for a small fee ($4) they would include your letter in that package.  Once in Moscow their staff would put it in a Russian-size envelope, readdress the letter in Cyrillic and mail it with Russian stamps.  They claimed this would speed delivery by 2-3 weeks and would increase reliability of delivery since it would not look like a foreign letter and was less likely to be riffled by curious postal workers looking to augment their pitiful government salary.

Sounds like a great deal, right?  Literally THOUSANDS of letters came in requesting this service.

What actually happened?  There was no DAILY DHL package.  Somebody slapped a $0.50 international airmail stamp on them and dropped them in the mailbox at the Winchester post office.  Saw it with my own eyes.  Nice 700% profit margin. 

The basic dishonesty at the core of the owners of this agency came through with every transaction they processed.     

Shakey, I'm simply going to state that if these people (the original owners then the second husband) were perpetrating such silly, amaturish hijinks that could be so easily uncovered and traced (not to mention the original envelope with the affixed air mail stamp and postal station identifier being recoverable as evidence) these people wouldn't be in business now. Anastasia would be long gone or maybe remembered as a footnote to the dumbest, most traceble scam in the history of the MOB industry.

Yet, this isn't the case, Dan Sykes, not running, not hiding, not ducking and dodging the civil suits and law...he's buying heritage buildings at public auctions:

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/07/21/news/bangor/whig-and-courier-sells-at-auction-for-355000/

Paneling at international trade shows...

http://img.idate2010.com/2010/LA/photos800/Internet-Dating-Conference-iDate2010-Regulatory-Panel-Los-Angeles-2.jpg

That's Anastasia's Dan Sykes speaking on Regulation of Online Dating

http://idate2010.com/speakers-la-2010.php

... right above the Deputy Director for Public Diplomacy's government emblem speaking on how the State Department Uses Social Networking to Engage U.S. Citizens and Foreigners on Items Related to the U.S. Government, Security & Access

Why isn't any of this stuff sticking?

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #278 on: August 09, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »
Shakey, I'm simply going to state that if these people (the original owners then the second husband) were perpetrating such silly, amaturish hijinks that could be so easily uncovered and traced (not to mention the original envelope with the affixed air mail stamp and postal station identifier being recoverable as evidence) these people wouldn't be in business now. Anastasia would be a long gone or maybe remembered as a footnote to the dumbest, most traceble scam in the history of the MOB industry.

Yet, this isn't the case, Dan Sykes, not running, not hiding, not ducking and dodging the civil suits and law...he's buying heritage buildings at public auctions:

Why isn't any of this stuff sticking?

My wife tells me Anastasia is set up so there are two independent corps. The US based corp does nothing technically illegal these days and all blame is put on the Moscow corp. I am not versed in international law but would think it hard to sue a Russian company from overseas. Maybe shakespear has more detailed info as he mentioned he worked for them previously.

It is similar to the relationship between advertisers and ad agencies. Anastasia is aware that there is fraud from the agencies and looks the other way. Anastasia will even shut down agencies for fraud and abuse if someone catches them. They have an incentive to do so in fact as they can then fine the agency and keep commissions for itself making even more money. The agency will just reapply or reopen under a different name and is up and running again right away. This can go on for years and years without repercussions in marketing even here in the US.

My wife explained all this to me as she worked for an agency. Fraud was rampant. At one point Anastasia withheld 40k from the agency when they were caught red handed. Blame is shifted to those evil agencies in Ukraine, Anastasia pockets 40k and the agency owner just starts over.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #279 on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
Shakey, I'm simply going to state that if these people (the original owners then the second husband) were perpetrating such silly, amateurish hijinks's that could be so easily uncovered and traced (not to mention the original envelope with the affixed air mail stamp and postal station identifier being recoverable as evidence) these people wouldn't be in business now. Anastasia would be long gone or maybe remembered as a footnote to the dumbest, most traceable scam in the history of the MOB industry. 

Let's not mix words.  Basically you're calling me a liar.

I'm telling you I saw it with my own eyes.  I saw them do it HUNDREDS of TIMES.  On occasion, I actually deposited the mail in the post box at the Winchester KY post office with my own two hands.

They DIDN'T care if they were discovered.  Between them and European Connections they were the only game in town.  They were getting hundreds of inquiries from new male customers every week. Lose one, gain 12 more.  Screw the new 12, get 144 more.  It was a numbers game that involved getting as much money as possible as quickly as possible from each customer.  It's the same game they're playing now.

Let's talk about their Gentleman's Catalog.  They would charge men $100 to be included in a Gentleman's Catalog that would be distributed to women who attended their socials or were customers of their FSU feeder agencies.  The men would have a chance to write a profile and submit a picture.  The women would write to Anastasia's Winchester Office with the man's catalog number on the outside of the envelope and Anastasia was supposed to forward the letters on to the man.

Well, most of those reply letters ended up in the trash can.  I saw both Elena and David Besuden throw handfulls of them there.  Every once in a while a secretary who felt guilty would fish them out and send them on to the gentleman, but not often.  When I asked Elena about this she replied, "Why waste the postage?  We already have their money".

Something else I witnessed with my own two eyes.  Gonna call me a liar again?

Offline chelseaboy

• Watched
« Reply #280 on: August 09, 2012, 08:22:03 PM »
It always seems strange to me when someone who has actually worked for Anastasia comes forward and tells people what actually goes on there now,or in the past,that people who have never worked for the company express doubts about what they're being told.

Large companies that are corrupt do survive and prosper,and don't get closed down,because that is the way of the world.

One only has to look at some of the large banks.

Crime pays in the modern world.
"I find it hard to believe that Russia would target civilians on purpose " Manny 28/2/22

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #281 on: August 09, 2012, 08:37:29 PM »
My wife tells me Anastasia is set up so there are two independent corps. The US based corp does nothing technically illegal these days and all blame is put on the Moscow corp. I am not versed in international law but would think it hard to sue a Russian company from overseas. Maybe shakespear has more detailed info as he mentioned he worked for them previously.

But they're not two independent 'corps'. The Moscow office is part of the company not a separate corporate entity so this doesn't hold water.

It is similar to the relationship between advertisers and ad agencies. Anastasia is aware that there is fraud from the agencies and looks the other way. Anastasia will even shut down agencies for fraud and abuse if someone catches them. They have an incentive to do so in fact as they can then fine the agency and keep commissions for itself making even more money. The agency will just reapply or reopen under a different name and is up and running again right away. This can go on for years and years without repercussions in marketing even here in the US.

You do realize how preposterous this reads, don't you? :chuckle: Do you believe a feeder or affiliate agency would just stand for being 'shut down' or Anastasia keeping commissions? How long do you think Anastasia would have any affiliate agencies dealing with them for?

My wife explained all this to me as she worked for an agency. Fraud was rampant. At one point Anastasia withheld 40k from the agency when they were caught red handed. Blame is shifted to those evil agencies in Ukraine, Anastasia pockets 40k and the agency owner just starts over.

Well, let's run with this scenario for a moment then; How is Anastasia to blame if they're withholding funds from an affiliate who is caught 'red handed' being fraudulant.  Seems like good business practice to withhold paying a company you've found being fraudulant, doesn't it?

Anastasia is not a government or police agency. They can't stop someone from restarting or going back into the same business if that person so chooses.

Sasha, these stories abound on the internet as well. They're urban legends. Half truths boiled in a large pot of gossip,sprinkled with a dash of internet crazy and served up on a big plate of forum debate with a side of disgrunteled employee or client.

It's like Shakey's class action lawsuit. I've no doubt he was there and testified but class action lawsuits don't mysteriously go away after a go ahead by a court. They're either dropped or settled.

Do you think that Anastasia's lawyers would be so stupid as to release 7500 some odd petitionors to file their own lawsuits or resubmit for another class action because they paid out just one guy who publically admitted he was doing it to blackmail Anastasia Inc.? Of course not. A court appointed litigation settlement administrator would have ensured that the persons who filed claims were contacted and the entitlement (their portion of the settlement) would have been transferred. Probably with some sort of legal document releasing the respondent from any further civil exposure.

Brass

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #282 on: August 09, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »
Let's not mix words.  Basically you're calling me a liar.

I'm telling you I saw it with my own eyes.  I saw them do it HUNDREDS of TIMES.  On occasion, I actually deposited the mail in the post box at the Winchester KY post office with my own two hands.

They DIDN'T care if they were discovered.  Between them and European Connections they were the only game in town.  They were getting hundreds of inquiries from new male customers every week. Lose one, gain 12 more.  Screw the new 12, get 144 more.  It was a numbers game that involved getting as much money as possible as quickly as possible from each customer.  It's the same game they're playing now.

Let's talk about their Gentleman's Catalog.  They would charge men $100 to be included in a Gentleman's Catalog that would be distributed to women who attended their socials or were customers of their FSU feeder agencies.  The men would have a chance to write a profile and submit a picture.  The women would write to Anastasia's Winchester Office with the man's catalog number on the outside of the envelope and Anastasia was supposed to forward the letters on to the man.

Well, most of those reply letters ended up in the trash can.  I saw both Elena and David Besuden throw handfulls of them there.  Every once in a while a secretary who felt guilty would fish them out and send them on to the gentleman, but not often.  When I asked Elena about this she replied, "Why waste the postage?  We already have their money".

Something else I witnessed with my own two eyes.  Gonna call me a liar again?

Ok, let's not mince words. I wasn't calling you a liar but I will call you a low life scum if you were complicit in these acts as you've related them.

And at the end of the day, why didn't you do something about it then or it's back to my original point why was this never brought forward by clients or staff to the proper authorities/agencies at the time?

Brass

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #283 on: August 09, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
It always seems strange to me when someone who has actually worked for Anastasia comes forward and tells people what actually goes on there now,or in the past,that people who have never worked for the company express doubts about what they're being told.

Large companies that are corrupt do survive and prosper,and don't get closed down,because that is the way of the world.

One only has to look at some of the large banks.

Crime pays in the modern world.

At the time all this was supposed to be going on it was nowhere near the size it is now. More like a mom and pop small business.

Brass

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #284 on: August 09, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »
But they're not two independent 'corps'. The Moscow office is part of the company not a separate corporate entity so this doesn't hold water.

You may be correct, this is only what I was told.

You do realize how preposterous this reads, don't you? :chuckle: Do you believe a feeder or affiliate agency would just stand for being 'shut down' or Anastasia keeping commissions? How long do you think Anastasia would have any affiliate agencies dealing with them for?

This happens all the time in marketing and the affiliate world. Anastasia has a monopoly and has positioned themselves very well. I am sure they have the largest payouts. Would you rather make dollars or pennies per letter? If they shut you down do you go to the competition and make 5% of your previous income or sign up under a new name and make the big money again? You are arguing with someone who is very familiar with online marketing and is married to a woman that worked for an agency. She was offered manager position at a new branch in Kiev. But what do I know?  ;)

Well, let's run with this scenario for a moment then; How is Anastasia to blame if they're withholding funds from an affiliate who is caught 'red handed' being fraudulant.  Seems like good business practice to withhold paying a company you've found being fraudulant, doesn't it?

Anastasia is not a government or police agency. They can't stop someone from restarting or going back into the same business if that person so chooses.

Huh? Not sure you understood my post. Anastasia withholds commissions if the TOS if broken.
Of course the agency can go back into business. And what do you do if you are that agency? Do you send random letters do idiots overseas or do you signup with a company who controls the adwords, glossy pics, and brand recognition all over the web?

Sasha, these stories abound on the internet as well. They're urban legends. Half truths boiled in a large pot of gossip,sprinkled with a dash of internet crazy and served up on a big plate of forum debate with a side of disgrunteled employee or client.

Urban legends? HAHAHHA. Did you not read my post? My wife worked for an agency that fed into Anastasia for five years. She was offered a job as manager of a new location in Kiev. She was part reason the agency lost 40k. She and all the girls lost two months salary. She feared for her life. People do not walk away from 40k in Ukraine easily. I don't want to keep arguing but think man, think.

It's like Shakey's class action lawsuit. I've no doubt he was there and testified but class action lawsuits don't mysteriously go away after a go ahead by a court. They're either dropped or settled.

Do you think that Anastasia's lawyers would be so stupid as to release 7500 some odd petitionors to file their own lawsuits or resubmit for another class action because they paid out just one guy who publically admitted he was doing it to blackmail Anastasia Inc.? Of course not. A court appointed litigation settlement administrator would have ensured that the persons who filed claims were contacted and the entitlement (their portion of the settlement) would have been transferred. Probably with some sort of legal document releasing the respondent from any further civil exposure.

No idea about the class action and I am not an attorney. I am sure it could be done if some inside people came forward and a case was built over time but would probably be difficult.

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »

My misunderstanding. I was excited  :)

Sure, I suppose it is good practice for Anastasia to keep the funds if there is fraud involved. They sure as hell do not return them to the customers though. Anastasia knows what is occurring. The top reps fly to Odessa and buddy up with the agency owners at events. They know these girls are married. They know many girls personally from parties, etc. "Can you ask so and so to participate in the bikini competition?"

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #286 on: August 09, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »
This happens all the time in marketing and the affiliate world. Anastasia has a monopoly and has positioned themselves very well. I am sure they have the largest payouts. Would you rather make dollars or pennies per letter? If they shut you down do you go to the competition and make 5% of your previous income or sign up under a new name and make the big money again? You are arguing with someone who is very familiar with online marketing and is married to a woman that worked for an agency. She was offered manager position at a new branch in Kiev. But what do I know?  ;)

Would someone show me where Anastasia has shut down or even cut loose a feeder or affiliate agency for fraud or any nefarious activity then rehired them under a different name?

Huh? Not sure you understood my post. Anastasia withholds commissions if the TOS if broken.
Of course the agency can go back into business. And what do you do if you are that agency? Do you send random letters do idiots overseas or do you signup with a company who controls the adwords, glossy pics, and brand recognition all over the web?

Yes, I got it. My question was how does Anastasia end up being the bad guy if they've taken action like shutdown or stopped paying an affiliate/feeder for violation of their TOS? I note in your post above you've answered this.

Urban legends? HAHAHHA. Did you not read my post? My wife worked for an agency that fed into Anastasia for five years. She was offered a job as manager of a new location in Kiev. She was part reason the agency lost 40k. She and all the girls lost two months salary. She feared for her life. People do not walk away from 40k in Ukraine easily. I don't want to keep arguing but think man, think.

But again, how does your wife's actions or (I'm assuming) illegal activities at this agency equate to Anastasia being the bad guy? Was Anastasia part and parcel of the illegal activities or did they hold back the 40K as a result of the illegal activities?

Who or what made your wife fear for her life - Was it Anastasia Inc or something else?

Brass

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #287 on: August 09, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
Sure, I suppose it is good practice for Anastasia to keep the funds if there is fraud involved. They sure as hell do not return them to the customers though. Anastasia knows what is occurring. The top reps fly to Odessa and buddy up with the agency owners at events. They know these girls are married. They know many girls personally from parties, etc. "Can you ask so and so to participate in the bikini competition?"

Well, if they're not refunding their clients that is a different matter. I'm assuming the fraud is a married or otherwise insincere woman. Is that part of the customer agreement with Anastasia though - Meaning it should be but if it's not does this constitute Anastasia swindling it's clients or just bad customer service?

Brass

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »
Would someone show me where Anastasia has shut down or even cut loose a feeder or affiliate agency for fraud or any nefarious activity then rehired them?

I dont have the letter from Anastasia, but my wife does. I don't really want to ask her to forward it to me and stir things up again but trust me it happened. The agency owner lost the 40k.
He was only fined in this case and not shut down. He has several companies setup to spread the risks. He loses one every now and then. Anastasia may not knowingly payout a rogue agency that signs up again but it happens. In my wife's agencies case I am sure it is overlooked. They are very large and have gorgeous women.

Yes, I got it. My question was how does Anastasia end up being the bad guy if they've taken action like shutdown or stopped paying an affiliate/feeder for violation of their TOS? I note in your post above you've answered this.

Good cop, bad cop.

But again, how does your wife's actions or (I'm assuming) illegal activities at this agency equate to Anastasia being the bad guy? Was Anastasia part and parcel of the illegal activities or did they hold back the 40K as a result of the illegal activities?

Who or what made your wife fear for her life - Was it Anastasia Inc or something else?

Anastasia held back the funds because the agency owner in this case was defrauding people. He was chatting with men while signed into different women's accounts. He screwed up a setting in the control panel and was caught. My wife's profile was one of the women.

Anastasia is aware of what is occurring. Like I said in my post above they know certain women, etc. They are in the middle of a menage a trois screwing both ends. They play the game and screw the agencies and terps. A letter has a small error and they fine the woman $10 when she is making half that translating it.

She feared the owner and his buddies. She is Ukrainian and tough as nails though.

By the way, her profile is up once again on one of the sister sites. Anastasia must have just missed that one, huh?

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #289 on: August 09, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »
I dont have the letter from Anastasia, but my wife does. I don't really want to ask her to forward it to me and stir things up again but trust me it happened. The agency owner lost the 40k.
He was only fined in this case and not shut down. He has several companies setup to spread the risks. He loses one every now and then. Anastasia may not knowingly payout a rogue agency that signs up again but it happens. In my wife's agencies case I am sure it is overlooked. They are very large and have gorgeous women.

No, I wouldn't bother, I believe you that the letter exists, anyways. However, I think you've hit the nail on the head with this aspect of the argument in that they (being Anastasia) may not knowingly pay out a rogue agency that signs up again. I suspect this is accurate, it makes no sense to do otherwise.

Anastasia held back the funds because the agency owner in this case was defrauding people. He was chatting with men while signed into different women's accounts. He screwed up a setting in the control panel and was caught. My wife's profile was one of the women.

Anastasia is aware of what is occurring. Like I said in my post above they know certain women, etc. They are in the middle of a menage a trois screwing both ends. They play the game and screw the agencies and terps. A letter has a small error and they fine the woman $10 when she is making half that translating it.

She feared the owner and his buddies. She is Ukrainian and tough as nails though.

By the way, her profile is up once again on one of the sister sites. Anastasia must have just missed that one, huh?

Have you or your wife contacted the agency to have it removed?

Well at least we've clarified it wasn't Anastasia Inc. or their actions she feared.

Sasha, one day (not now of course) when your wife is with you permenantly and safely settled I hope you can share the name of that agency with us. I'd like to know who it is. :)

Brass

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38:01 PM »
It really is a great business idea if you don't mind screwing people.
I have seen smaller operations in Latin America using the same model. I could not do it.

No, I wouldn't bother, I believe you that the letter exists, anyways. However, I think you've hit the nail on the head with this aspect of the argument in that they (being Anastasia) may not knowingly pay out a rogue agency that signs up again. I suspect this is accurate, it makes no sense to do otherwise.

I would think that Anastasia would not let certain small agencies signup again if they were aware.
In the case of my wife's agency it is a symbiotic relationship. One has the women the other the high commissions. Sometimes a girl is cut loose when they are caught and the owner is chatting. The girl was scamming goes the story...

Have you or your wife contacted the agency to have it removed?

Well at least we've clarified it wasn't Anastasia Inc. or their actions she feared.

Sasha, one day (not now of course) when your wife is with you permenantly and safely settled I hope you can share the name of that agency with us. I'd like to know who it is. :)

Brass

We have not. I had it removed from the site several times already. We cannot keep playing whack-a mole.

My wife has been here in the US since late last year.  :)

A forum member asked me to share the name of the agency upthread. I asked my wife and she gave me a curious look. Women from the FSU do not like private details discussed...
She mentioned he had several companies. I will find a way to weasel it out. 

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #291 on: August 09, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »
I just asked her. She says two of the companies are called Dream Brides and Best Brides in Odessa.
Neither has a web page. They are just local companies setup in order for Anastasia to cut checks.

I showed her the profile of herself and she freaked out. I wonder what my wife will tell me from Odessa?

We already had her profile removed twice. It keeps popping up. Strange huh? Maybe just a sloppy vetting process on Anastasia's end. We cannot fault them if they are running a million dollar business and cannot keep unavailable women out of the database. Simple mistake I am sure.  :)

This is what you are up against if you use them guys.

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »
It really is a great business idea if you don't mind screwing people.
I have seen smaller operations in Latin America using the same model. I could not do it.

Well after page after page after page of wild and wacky narratives on this thread I thought someone had better step in and start asking for a little substantiation here. Some of these allegations/Anastasia war story's by some members are getting a little outlandish. :chuckle:

We have not. I had it removed from the site several times already. We cannot keep playing whack-a mole.

My wife has been here in the US since late last year.  :)

A forum member asked me to share the name of the agency upthread. I asked my wife and she gave me a curious look. Women from the FSU do not like private details discussed...
She mentioned he had several companies. I will find a way to weasel it out.

Congratulations and good luck with the weaseling. ;D

Brass

Offline chelseaboy

• Watched
« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2012, 03:35:13 AM »
The vast majority of these Ukrainian affiliate agencies,that are linked to the large western facing dating/marriage websites, don't have websites.

They don't want to get tracked down,as they don't want to risk irate foreign guys finding them.
So,apart from the enhanced earning potential they enjoy by being part of the Anastasia etc set-up,they can remain anonymous to foreign men/customers.

I've recently been informed there are 81 agencies in Poltava alone.

The sheer scale of the "marriage " agency corruption in Ukraine defies belief.

Anastasia,Dream-marriage,Hot Russian Brides/Russian Love match etc etc facilitate this large-scale deception/scam.
"I find it hard to believe that Russia would target civilians on purpose " Manny 28/2/22

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #294 on: August 10, 2012, 07:48:29 AM »
And one more to avoid. It is either owned by her former employer or is one of many Anastasia sites.

edenlady.com

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »
I just asked her. She says two of the companies are called Dream Brides and Best Brides in Odessa.
Neither has a web page. They are just local companies setup in order for Anastasia to cut checks.

I showed her the profile of herself and she freaked out. I wonder what my wife will tell me from Odessa?

We already had her profile removed twice. It keeps popping up. Strange huh? Maybe just a sloppy vetting process on Anastasia's end. We cannot fault them if they are running a million dollar business and cannot keep unavailable women out of the database. Simple mistake I am sure.  :)

This is what you are up against if you use them guys.

Well not quite, Sasha. Both DreamBrides and Best Brides are found on the internet. Granted Best Brides is found on a website amongst a number of other affiliated agencies called 'Letter Order Brides' but it's there (11th company on the list) with an address and phone number...

http://www.letter-order-brides.com/our_affiliates.html

http://www.dreambrides.net/

However, you have a legitimate complaint regarding your wife's profile popping up on whatever agency it is popping up on and should continue to pursue having it removed. I know some members here have had similar problems with agencies being slow or failing to remove their loved one's profiles. Maybe start a topic asking how/if they got them removed.

And one more to avoid. It is either owned by her former employer or is one of many Anastasia sites.

edenlady.com

Again, posting an agency website and advising it needs to be avoided isn't good enough. You need to substantiate the warning, Sasha.

So far a lot of what you've posted is not accurate or it's subjective. In otherwords you just plain don't like Anatasia Inc. It's OK to post an opinion but it's not substantive information.

Brass

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
OK, let's not mince words. I wasn't calling you a liar but I will call you a low life scum if you were complicit in these acts as you've related them.

And at the end of the day, why didn't you do something about it then or it's back to my original point why was this never brought forward by clients or staff to the proper authorities/agencies at the time? 

Yes, I guess you could say I was complicit by association.  But I did do something.  I quit and became one of the most vocal and outspoken opponents of Anastasia on the internet.

Report to government authorities?  Winchester KY is a pretty small town.  At the time Anastasia was one of the three biggest sources of tax revenue for the city.  They had hired all the right attorneys and made friends with all the right people. 

Check the archives of some of the old groups on yahoo or the old St John's group.  Elena Besuden threatened to sue me dozens of times because as she claimed, I was spreading lies.  Lawsuit never came.  Hard to sue somebody you know is telling the truth.

To this day she'll claim she's never heard of me and that I never worked for the company.  But the collection of W-9 tax forms I still have in my possession prove otherwise.     

I know these people Brass.  I've been around them for hundreds of hours.  I've stayed as a guest in their homes.  I've heard them speak of the disdain they have for their customers.  That might have changed in the past 10+ years, but I don't think so . . . . . . . .

Here you go Brass.  From one of their Fall 1997 catalogs.  How much to you think publicity like this was worth to Anastasia?  I spoke with a couple hundred guys who were on the bubble about taking one of their tours about how great everything was.  For every one that signed up, I got a financial bonus.  I'm a pretty successful salesman. 

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #297 on: August 10, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »
Well not quite, Sasha. Both DreamBrides and Best Brides are found on the internet. Granted Best Brides is found on a website amongst a number of other affiliated agencies called 'Letter Order Brides' but it's there (11th company on the list) with an address and phone number...

http://www.letter-order-brides.com/our_affiliates.html

http://www.dreambrides.net/

Number eleven in the first link may be the one the the companies.

I do not believe the second link is related in any way. I am sure there is a number of variations and multiple use of that name in Ukraine.

Again, posting an agency website and advising it needs to be avoided isn't good enough. You need to substantiate the warning, Sasha.

So far a lot of what you've posted is not accurate or it's subjective. In otherwords you just plain don't like Anatasia Inc. It's OK to post an opinion but it's not substantive information.

My wife's profile is on the site as well as several of her friends who signed up at one point. They are married or have boyfriends or were never looking. Looks like the top women are used to drive traffic to Anastasia.

I am indifferent to Anastasia, not going to waste my time trying to take them down. Feel free to think what you want. I am married so does not matter to me what agency guys use.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »
At the time all this was supposed to be going on it was nowhere near the size it is now. More like a mom and pop small business.

Brass

In the two years I worked there, this "mom & pop" business had NET profit of over $500 thousand each year.  That was after paying each Besuden $10,000 per month salary.  That would be in 1997 and 1998.  Not bad for 15 years ago.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »

Who does a criminal who has become a victim of crime by another criminal report that crime to?  The police?

I'm not dealing in firsthand knowledge about Anastasia on this topic, but I have been told by several different local agency owners that often times the large international agencies hold their subordinate agencies hostage by their commission checks.  The payment is always made several weeks or even months in arrears.  It is not an uncommon event for the subordinate agency to get paid much less than what they expected.  What do you do?  Go to the police?  Heck no.  You call the person up and try to find out what is going on.  Once he tells you, how you were paid and that's all the money you are going to receive, you have two choices, accept it and continue to make money or refuse and get zero money. 

What option do you think post agencies choose?  The civil court system in the FSU is without question one of the most corrupt in the world.