The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 16 killed in fire at Ukrainian home for elderly  (Read 940 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
16 killed in fire at Ukrainian home for elderly
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
Ukrainian officials say a fire at a home for the elderly has killed 16 people and injured 11 others.

A statement from the Emergencies Ministry says the fire broke out early Sunday in the one-story wood-and-brick building in the village of Bile in the Dubrovitskogo region, about 300 kilometers (180 miles) west of the capital Kiev.

Firefighters battled the blazed for about five hours before it was extinguished. There were 25 residents and two staff members in the building when the fire started, the ministry said.

All the injured suffered carbon-monoxide poisoning, and three are in serious condition, according to the ministry.

The cause of the fire has not been determined.

Source
Слава Україні

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: 16 killed in fire at Ukrainian home for elderly
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
I feel bad for the families and the wounded .... those who have gone on to meet the maker are there already, but the families and the injured will live with their scars.

They are in my prayers.