The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cost of living in Ukraine  (Read 150128 times)

Offline Luftmeister

• I have abandoned my search.
  • Spouses Country: n/a
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: How good are internet connections in Ukraine?
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »
I'm in Knarkov right now in a rented apartment. 20 down 20 up.
Do not try to convince your mind of something which your heart knows is a lie.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
I never had issues with internet there. Direct cable is the most reliable.
but much slower than you will be used to. I did buy a wireless gig at computer shop.
Worked everywhere train, car etc. Weather can affect things at times.
But Skype with good set up works well, so if you don't need rocket speeds,
you should be fine.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Ladine

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
Herrie is correct. Mobile data as backup is the way to go. I can't speak for Ukraine but here one could easily use mobile data as one's primary connection and many people do just that. I understand though that mobile data is not ideal for all purposes which is why I don't use it in that way.

If you are there for some time you might be well served to buy one of the routers that, as well as handling a normal cable/phone connection have a USB socket for a 3/4g dongle, the router providing automatic rollover to the dongle if the normal connection dies. In Estonia these things cost about €30 and are no bigger than a paperback book.

In Ukraine, I sometimes use mobile communication. but it is very slow internet. can only be used for correspondence and Skype Connect. MTS (unlimited) now share gives it the first 3 months for $ 4. The following is a connection $ 3 a month. very convenient for communication. But no more. Internet is very fast, only the first 100 MB. then it drops to 32 MB \ s. But in this regard, a more than sufficient. In Ukraine, we have enough choice for internet packages.
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
Do you not get 3G mobile data where you are?

Here it is a viable replacement for a cable connection but I don't use it that way because of how mobile data works  - and also because I have a triple package of tv, phone and internet at a good price.
We also have 4G across most of the population now but the cost is too high for normal use with unlimited data. 3G unlimited data is just €12 per month.

Those dual function routers are very useful though!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »
3g, depends where you are, In kiev, I could even use my I phone and google maps, to find things.
But at times disconnected. only 100% reliable I had, was when plugged in.
SOme restaurants had good wifi, could do all there, including videos.
I would suspect, much will have to do, with where you are.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Ladine

« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
3G is used by many people. Planshet IPhone,android, mobile, I have not learned now my mobile Internet. 3G is not very expensive for us already. There is WiFi but not always free because people encode wifi for personal use. But there are places where you can find it for free. 4G I rarely meet.
my LAN (unlimited) internet is 13-15 dollars a month. it is more expensive than mobile Internet.

mobile Internet even support Chinese (copy) phones. only need to enter data manually. (It's my job now)

Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
You'll be fine in Odessa, most apartments have internet speeds that will be plenty good enough, those close to the main centre that advertise WIFI included would be the way to go.

Additionally all of the main high street in Odessa has free WIFI available with good connection speeds, I was able to use Skype for both video and voice calls whilst having a bite to eat.

Same goes for Kiev, not sure about other cities.

As an aside, I wouldn't suggest Odessa in winter months, my experience is Kiev is much better during this period, then Odessa has an edge on summer.

Enjoy!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
I am very happy to hear this information, and I did find the 3G sticks useful when I was in Russia, though they weren't perfect.  To have reasonably reliable DSL or cable connections would be excellent.
Anchors Rewoven

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
I am very happy to hear this information, and I did find the 3G sticks useful when I was in Russia, though they weren't perfect.  To have reasonably reliable DSL or cable connections would be excellent.

Slumba, if you are considering a visit to Ukraine I can safely say it's a dam sight cheaper than a night out in Russia!! And it's a dam sight better, IMO of course.

Free wifi pretty much everywhere is just an added bonus.

But I'm dating a lady from Russia, go figure!!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline CC3

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »
I know this has been touched on before, but the most recent post on it I could find was from 2011. I am a pharmacist, and considering taking a 90 day trip to see what life is like in the Ukraine. I could work online for a mail order pharmacy, but I would have to have a reliable internet connection (as in no dropping offline) to do so. Anyone have up to date info on this, and if so...what cities would you suggest...Odesa looks really nice! At least from pictures.

I appreciate any info...thanks.

L'viv has the most European history, culture (great coffee houses!), architecture, and attitude of any city in Ukraine. The populace has a very independent, but pro-western, attitude. Odesa is a WM trap, especially for the inexperienced newbies to Ukraine. The cities most experienced with fleecing naive WM's are the large cities which receive the greatest amount of WM attention, i.e., Kiev, Kharkov, and Odesa (Ukrainian names for those cities). The two large cities that receive less WM attention, that I have spent time in, are L'viv and Donets'k. In them, you would be less likely to encounter the scammers and prodaters. L'viv is European and a wonderful place to visit; Donets'k is Russo-soviet yearning, but still a fairly pleasant city in which to spend time.

To indicate the geographic dimensions of Ukraine, Europe's largest self-contained country, disregarding the Euro-Asiatic Russia's size, L'viv is only an hour and a half flight time from my usual connection city, Munchen (Munich); Donetsk, all the way across the breadth of Ukraine from L'viv, is three hours flight time from MUC. 
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2013, 11:01:15 PM »
I know this has been touched on before, but the most recent post on it I could find was from 2011. I am a pharmacist, and considering taking a 90 day trip to see what life is like in the Ukraine. I could work online for a mail order pharmacy, but I would have to have a reliable internet connection (as in no dropping offline) to do so. Anyone have up to date info on this, and if so...what cities would you suggest...Odesa looks really nice! At least from pictures.

I appreciate any info...thanks.

You better have REALLY good security .....

Microsoft computers can be hacked fast in Ukraine ....

Internet is cheap, but you will have occasional outages.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2013, 03:20:24 AM »
. . . I am a pharmacist, and considering taking a 90 day trip to see what life is like in the Ukraine. I could work online for a mail order pharmacy, but I would have to have a reliable internet connection (as in no dropping offline) to do so. Anyone have up to date info on this, and if so...what cities would you suggest...Odesa looks really nice!

Odessa is like the old screen saver from MicroSoft looks good until you get to know the OS.

If you are planning on spending in the next couple months in Odessa you are in for something of a surprise, those bottles on the conveyors will look interesting after a few days/nights in Odessa. Simply said winter in Odessa is grim. If you are in Odessa during the summer it is another matter.

As has been suggested L'viv is a better option in the winter. Kivy is an amusing city but for an expat things will be more expensieve generally. There are some cities further south from L'viv that are interesting according to some. I would find any city with at least a population of 500,000 and most likely you will be fine.

As for the question regarding internet connections I have only rarely had a problem and I tend to down load a lot of stuff viewing/trolling auction sites. Though once in a while I will get a notice that I can not view a certain firms site from Ukraine, quite odd really.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Ladine

« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2013, 04:06:15 AM »
As for the question regarding internet connections I have only rarely had a problem and I tend to down load a lot of stuff viewing/trolling auction sites. Though once in a while I will get a notice that I can not view a certain firms site from Ukraine, quite odd really.

because some sites  FSU do not have mobile version of the site. (If viewing comes via mobile internet)

Offline RichyRich

« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »
Slumba, if you are considering a visit to Ukraine I can safely say it's a dam sight cheaper than a night out in Russia!! And it's a dam sight better, IMO of course.
Ukraine is not better than Russia, it's just easier to get into, fiscally :censored: so it's too cheap, yeah Odessa is nice but I wouldn't run back there in a hurry, sooner go to Jūrmala in Latvia than anywhere in Ukraine :P

Offline Haventhrow

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I will have to look into these other cities you guys (and girls) recommended. I have been using Elanas Models, since most people say it is the only reputable site out there. There don't seem to be many women posting from the cities you guys mentioned....I was hoping to acheive contact through the website with a few women and then pick two or three to meet when I get there. Are there  other websites more geared towards these cities....or is this a topic best started in a new thread.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.

Offline CC3

« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »

You better have REALLY good security .....

Microsoft computers can be hacked fast in Ukraine ....

Internet is cheap, but you will have occasional outages.

I always use a VPN in Ukraine, actually, anywhere in the world on public wifi; currently I use Hide My Ass...funny name, but one of the best VPN providers in the world. Very inexpensive compared to extant security threats.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline el_guero

« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
a VPN might help .... but you are still connected to your wire.

I saw routine hack attempt while in Ukraine.  More than on US cable.

And yes, HMA is rated as one of the best.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »
I will have to look into these other cities you guys (and girls) recommended. I have been using Elanas Models, since most people say it is the only reputable site out there. There don't seem to be many women posting from the cities you guys mentioned....I was hoping to acheive contact through the website with a few women and then pick two or three to meet when I get there. Are there  other websites more geared towards these cities....or is this a topic best started in a new thread.

Welcome to RUA - you can find good women and bad women in your own city. Or a state/province just over an hours drive away. You can spend six plus hours as well and find a good woman.

I would suggest starting a new thread in introductions and listen to the widely differing opinions and thoughts. Some will be negative, others will espouse that there way is the best way. Anyways before you invest time and money listen to the opinions and move forward from there.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
An update on inet pricing in Ukraine as we just ran fiber to my FIL's house on the outskirts of Odessa (by the airport). The run including labor and material was $150 and the monthly fee is around 8-10 bucks for what they tout as a 50 meg line. The speeds as tested are moreso in the 3.5 meg range, but not bad considering and the skype quality is quite good.

Offline CC3

Cost of living in Ukraine
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2013, 07:06:34 PM »

Oh, and don't compare Moscow to Bugtussle, Ukraine. Of course it's more expensive in Moscow, just like it's more expensive to live in New York as opposed to Des Moines, Iowa.

Tremendously more expensive than Ukraine!
The average salary in Kiev is about $600usd and about $250 nationwide in Ukraine, in Moscow it's about $1800, and just under $1000 nationwide. While it is less expensive to live in Ukraine, let's try to keep things in perspective.

How many times have you been to Russia, how long were you here, and when was the last time you were here? It's just 3 simple questions that require simple answers so that we can verify the credibility of your statements. Yes, I'll ask anyone making posts in this thread these questions, so no hissy fits please.

You slay me, Danchik. Your loyalty to the Russian Empire is unquestionable! One of the reasons Ukraine appeals to me is that the people, at least the western Ukrainians, are not mindless automatons, used to kowtowing to authoritarian leaders since the invasion of the Mongols followed by the rise of the Duchy of Muscovy, morphing into the centuries long fascistic-style rule of Tsars and soviet commissars and Putin.

I never claimed to have ever been to RF. I was simply commenting on cost of living numbers provided by another forum member. I can understand high living costs in desirable locales, such as Zurich, Hong Kong, Singapore, Aspen, San Francisco Bay area, NYC, London, Paris (all of which I have been to or lived in)...but Moscow? Give me a break. When energy BTU prices take their inevitable plunge the Russian economy will collapse like the house of cards that it is.
George S. Patton

Offline Net_Lenka

Re: Re: Cost of living in Russia
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »
One of the reasons Ukraine appeals to me is that the people, at least the western Ukrainians, are not mindless automatons, used to kowtowing to authoritarian leaders since the invasion of the Mongols followed by the rise of the Duchy of Muscovy, morphing into the centuries long fascistic-style rule of Tsars and soviet commissars and Putin.
How funny ! In other thread there is now  lot of posts about history of western Ukraina wich shows those "not mindless automatons" never managed to keep own independence and always were somebodies  lackeys
 And present days proov the same - they are going to sign anything just to get a new master who would feed them and solve their problems

PS Pardone for off topic I just can't pass alone such funny defenition of western Ukrainians

As for expensive life in Moscow then the main issue is the cost of rent. Other day-after-day things could be find by low prices ( of course if visits to restaurants - boo-tics and museums are not included in your everydays needs )
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Offline el_guero

« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:26 PM »
One of the reasons Ukraine appeals to me is that the people, at least the western Ukrainians, are not mindless automatons, used to kowtowing to authoritarian leaders since the invasion of the Mongols followed by the rise of the Duchy of Muscovy, morphing into the centuries long fascistic-style rule of Tsars and soviet commissars and Putin.

Bravo, CC3. Insulting the population of the whole country?  Good job! :thumbsup: Almost made me speechless.

A speechless Russian?

After being insulted?

:ROFL:

Molly, you are TOO nice ....

Offline el_guero

« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:40 AM »

Is it a practice in the FSU to charge foreigners more for certain things? I did not notice this while in Ukraine, but was only there for brief periods. For example in Latin America they have the gringo tax at certain eateries where the prices are not advertised and locals pay one price while gringos pay 30% more.

G@$#@-tax is different over there. 

It is expected you pay extra for some government services, since 'you do not pay taxes here.'  My visit to the hospital was an extra $20.

Some businessmen charge the 'extra' foreigner fee.  But, only two have over charged me. Turks? or at least turkish looking.  Maybe Chechen?  Not Iranian looking .... The third who tried was also Turkish looking, and at the airport.  And all three were taxi drivers in Odesa.

Surprisingly, I saw none of that in Kiev .... there as a tourist, and knew nothing of the city.

BUT, I can say, there are HUGE local benefits, and foreigner TAXES .... But, that is across the board.  There is a favoritism scheme, I do not quite understand it, yet.  You have a 'preferred' rate from businesses because ....

And this is what I DO NOT get yet, because you have their 'special' phone line - taxis are HUGE on this, especially in Kiev, but also in the smaller cities.  Some Ukrainians seem to understand this, some do not.

Stores have 'discount' cards.  Usually 5%, but several times, I got much larger discounts, 'because,' I was becoming a preferred customer ....

Sometimes that was 'because' I was 'with' a native speaker .... sometimes it was because they recognized me.  Sometimes it was because I tried to speak Russian.  Sometimes, I was a friend of a friend.

Even in Lvov .... where I had terrible service and great service - I expect great service almost everywhere in Ukraine.

So, it is very different (but, similar in strange ways) to the G@#$%#-tax .....

I guess the short answer is let the SO deal with the cultural tax issues .... ?

Wayne

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »

Just curious what is the reason of RUA russophobia splash in the last few days?  :smokin:
I want to remind that as independant state Ukraine arose not in so distant past, and who knows how long it will be able to exist. According to recent events - not for a long.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Anteros

« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »

Just curious what is the reason of RUA russophobia splash in the last few days?  :smokin:
I want to remind that as independant state Ukraine arose not in so distant past, and who knows how long it will be able to exist. According to recent events - not for a long.

Don't worry about Ukraine remaining independent, worry about what's going to happen in Siberia and farther East when 100 million or more Chinese invade!   :nod:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Registration