The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cost of living in Ukraine  (Read 149992 times)

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Cost of living in Moscow
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »
Since Kiev is cheaper than Moscow, I am paying too much ....

:(

But, not for too long.

Wayne

Offline el_guero

« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2014, 01:55:42 AM »
I went to a mega, I think in Odessa, but it might have been Kiev.  My usual store is TavriaB (V).

Nice video, wish I had that before my first trip.

I have a market across the street from me.  Robin Bobin.  Somehow they have markets and restaurants, not sure if they are the same chain or not.

Wayne

Offline TomT

« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
How's the wife, Wayne?

Offline Herry

• Do not take life too seriously. You will never get
  • Spouses Country: Netherlands
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Best way to send money to Ukraine
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »
And anybody find the way to send money to Ukrain, which is cheaper and safe?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »

One possibility is MoneyGram (www.moneygram.com). Easy and safe for both parties and cheaper than WU.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:29 AM »

One possibility is MoneyGram (www.moneygram.com). Easy and safe for both parties and cheaper than WU.

That's what I use.  It is to Russia but I can't imagine much difference.  There are countless locations to pick up the money as well and it can be there in a few minutes for pickup.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
There are various ways with different logistics and costs. If you can tell how often you need to transfer and what kind of amounts we might be able to give you proper suggestions :-) My way costed me EUR 2,25 each time but it really depends on the specific situation :-)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Cost of living in Ukraine
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
I've merged many posts and split others to put them into the proper category. When writing about the cost of living in Ukraine this is the correct thread.

If you are writing about the cost of living in Russia or Moscow, this is not the right thread.  :)

Offline Art

« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
MoneyGram charges about 2% fee, which is always cheaper than Western Union. If you are sending a large amount of money, a wire transfer might have a fixed fee and be cheaper.

MoneyGram and Western Union are not currently working in Crimea.

Offline pycut

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2016, 05:41:23 AM »
I used to send with MG because it was cheaper, but two months ago I sent money with WU, since it was cheaper than MG.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2016, 06:25:37 AM »
I used to send with MG because it was cheaper, but two months ago I sent money with WU, since it was cheaper than MG.

Its even cheaper NOT to send any.. :chuckle:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline el_guero

Re: The Cost Of Living In Ukraine 2010
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »
gas etc is up by at least 200% if not more compared to this time last year.

Isn't that because Ukraine was stealing gas from Russia's pipelines last year and now it is paying it back via a price increase?

No, I think it was because they were getting a cut-rate deal from Russia before, but gas & oil are now moving up to market prices.

Ukraine ALWAYS paid more for gas than did Germany, even though that same gas travelled through Ukraine.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2017, 08:15:16 PM »
Has the cost of living in Ukraine gotten out of control.

Nat has been there for 6 weeks now and she says the cost of everything has now gotten ridiculous bread, milk, potatoes, bus fares, taxis, electricity, gas etc is up by at least 200% if not more compared to this time last year.
She says many people in her town just can not afford to pay the un-stopable price hikes on everything that are currently going on overthere especially on basic food items she says familys that live in the cities and dont grow there own food are really struggling at the moment.

I think the perspective from locals will be that prices have gotten out of control. Now, I haven't been back in almost 18 months.

But, at current exchange rates, I found prices reasonable.

In Grivnia, I found a 25% to 50% increase over 3 years. Even though the exchange rate went up 300%.

Unlike Russian, Ukraine paid dearly after the LGM vacationing in Ukraine.

I'll try to post some items this next trip over. I won't remember what they used to be.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »
Has the cost of living in Ukraine gotten out of control.

Nat has been there for 6 weeks now and she says the cost of everything has now gotten ridiculous bread, milk, potatoes, bus fares, taxis, electricity, gas etc is up by at least 200% if not more compared to this time last year.
She says many people in her town just can not afford to pay the un-stopable price hikes on everything that are currently going on overthere especially on basic food items she says familys that live in the cities and dont grow there own food are really struggling at the moment.

I think the perspective from locals will be that prices have gotten out of control. Now, I haven't been back in almost 18 months.

But, at current exchange rates, I found prices reasonable.

In Grivnia, I found a 25% to 50% increase over 3 years. Even though the exchange rate went up 300%.

Unlike Russian, Ukraine paid dearly after the LGM vacationing in Ukraine.

I'll try to post some items this next trip over. I won't remember what they used to be.

Bumping this Ukraine travel/expat CoL thread to share the following:

U.S. Embassy is looking for new Wardens:

Dear Friends:

The American Citizen Services unit is in the process of rebuilding our network of Wardens to ensure that we are able to communicate as effectively as possible with U.S. citizens in the event of an emergency. We are looking for volunteers to serve as Wardens in various regions of Ukraine. If you think you or someone you know may be interested, or you just want to learn more - let us know!

Wardens are private citizens who help the Embassy help U.S. citizens in need.  They assist travelers in distress, help us track down missing U.S. citizens, and, in the event of a natural disaster or other emergency, help us locate other American citizens so we can help get them to safety.  Most often, however, Wardens are called on to be our ‘eyes and ears’ in the community, providing valuable feedback on what life is like for ordinary U.S. citizens in every corner of Ukraine. Wardens are usually American citizens who are longer-term residents of Ukraine and, ideally, speak some Ukrainian or Russian. Please note that this is a voluntary position that does not imply financial reimbursement.

We need wardens in major cities like Chernivtsi, Dnipropetrovsk, Ivano-Frankivsk, Cherkasy, Kherson, Khmelnytsky, Lvov, Kropyvnytskyi, Nikolayev, Poltava, Rivne, Sumy, Ternopil, Uzhgorod, Vinnytsya, Zaporizhzhya, Zhytomyr, Volyn, and Odesa. Wardens in smaller cities and rural areas are also uniquely important because those can be the hardest places for us to reach in an emergency.

If you would like to be our Warden, please provide us with your full name, DOB, passport number and your contact details via email at  KievACS@.... Once you notify us of your interest, we’ll get back to you with further instructions.

Best regards,

American Citizen Services | Consular Section

U.S. Embassy | 4 Igor Sikorsky St., Kiev 04112, Ukraine

Tel (380-44) 521 – 5566 | Fax (380-44) 521 – 5544

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
I notice that even the U.S consular department in Ukraine consider Crimea and a large part of the east of the country as no longer being part of Ukraine.

Things that make you go hmmm...
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »
I notice that even the U.S consular department in Ukraine consider Crimea and a large part of the east of the country as no longer being part of Ukraine.

Things that make you go hmmm...

Andrew - an astute observation you may be on to something - they did throw in a bit of a teaser:

Wardens in smaller cities and rural areas are also uniquely important because those can be the hardest places for us to reach in an emergency.

Could apply to Crimea and Donbass without being overtly political.  Trump is, after all, trying to improve relations with Ukraine and Russia as a way to contain as much as possible the Chinese Communist Party goals of Global Expansion and Domination of all agricultural and natural Resources.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »
I am sure that there is a significant disconnect between what is said officially and what is thought in reality. The words we use tend to reflect what we think.

While it might be tough, for practical reasons, to appoint wardens in those areas, if the writer thought of them as being part of Ukraine then she, or he, would have included them, even if there were no intent to appoint anybody in those areas.

Also, the message would, almost certainly, have been reviewed by at least one person more senior than the writer which suggests that the implied attitude is not a single person but represents a more general point of view.

And, lest anyone say that I am just nit-picking, the inference that I took from reading the words is exactly why such documents are carefully reviewed before publication.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2019, 10:12:28 AM »
I am sure that there is a significant disconnect between what is said officially and what is thought in reality. The words we use tend to reflect what we think.

While it might be tough, for practical reasons, to appoint wardens in those areas, if the writer thought of them as being part of Ukraine then she, or he, would have included them, even if there were no intent to appoint anybody in those areas.

Also, the message would, almost certainly, have been reviewed by at least one person more senior than the writer which suggests that the implied attitude is not a single person but represents a more general point of view.

And, lest anyone say that I am just nit-picking, the inference that I took from reading the words is exactly why such documents are carefully reviewed before publication.

Lord Afi, I hate to admit that when you rise above your Curmudgeonly Ascerbic nature your analytical skills are quite insightful and prescient.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
The same skills are always in use. Your perception of any emotional load in what I write does not have any effect on the thinking and analysis that go into the preparation and writing of those words.

It might be interesting to see other documents of a similar nature to see if there is some kind of a pattern, however, I rather doubt that the opportunity will present itself again any time soon.

Now to concentrate upon the, possible, attempted shooting down of a Russian airliner over Estonia a few days ago. :)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2019, 02:35:54 PM »
The same skills are always in use. Your perception of any emotional load in what I write does not have any effect on the thinking and analysis that go into the preparation and writing of those words.

It might be interesting to see other documents of a similar nature to see if there is some kind of a pattern, however, I rather doubt that the opportunity will present itself again any time soon.

Now to concentrate upon the, possible, attempted shooting down of a Russian airliner over Estonia a few days ago. :)

Curious what your MI6 sources have to say  :-X

Our lot is totally silent over on this side of the pond... Go figure.

Registration