The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cheapest one-way airline ticket from Tashkent UZ to New York City?  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
    • Official art website of qi peng
Hi guys,

What is the cheapest one-way airline flight from Tashkent, UZ to NYC? It seems that a one-way is going to cost $1100? I can't really tell but it looks like it isn't cheap... or is that simply online pricing?

Apparently it could be cheaper through other methods?
Justice? - You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law. -William Gaddis

Offline Shadow

• Ochag - Family fireplace
Re: Cheapest one-way airline ticket from Tashkent UZ to New York City?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:00:57 AM »
Don't tell us that someone wants to come from Tzhkent to you on a one-way ticket that you will pay for.
I would guess that you should be way past believing sucj a story. ;D
2 know more than 1 but 100 know less

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:52:26 AM »
Don't tell us that someone wants to come from Tzhkent to you on a one-way ticket that you will pay for.
I would guess that you should be way past believing sucj a story. ;D

Nope, I need to get a good connection or internet website for her to buy her ticket to the US. She already won the visa lottery :)
Justice? - You get justice in the next world, in this world you have the law. -William Gaddis

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »
Has she checked out prices herself in Tashkent?

Almost 2 years ago I booked a trip (flights and hotel) to Egypt through a travel agent in Kiev. The bill would have been a lot more if I booked the same trip from Canada, Italy or UK. They had one price for UA residents and another for foreigners.

I was recently checking out some prices on flights to bring my sweetheart to Mexico for a visit. I suspect I would get the best pricing by booking the flights in Ukraine.

Has anyone found it cheaper to book tickets in Uzbekistan/Russia/Ukraine as opposed to booking in Canada/US?

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 07:17:50 AM »
Has she checked out prices herself in Tashkent?

Almost 2 years ago I booked a trip (flights and hotel) to Egypt through a travel agent in Kiev. The bill would have been a lot more if I booked the same trip from Canada, Italy or UK. They had one price for UA residents and another for foreigners.

I was recently checking out some prices on flights to bring my sweetheart to Mexico for a visit. I suspect I would get the best pricing by booking the flights in Ukraine.

Has anyone found it cheaper to book tickets in Uzbekistan/Russia/Ukraine as opposed to booking in Canada/US?

Interesting, interesting. I wonder what the percentage differential is between ordering the tickets as a native of that country versus the foreigner price. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 2-3 times more. But can anyone else surmise about what it is?

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »
Interesting, interesting. I wonder what the percentage differential is between ordering the tickets as a native of that country versus the foreigner price. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 2-3 times more. But can anyone else surmise about what it is?

I can tell you that buying a couple of internal flight tickets within the Ukraine rather than me buying them from the UK has just saved me around $75 on tickets worth around $220 total, so about a 34% saving.
Слава Україні

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:44:11 AM »
I can tell you that buying a couple of internal flight tickets within the Ukraine rather than me buying them from the UK has just saved me around $75 on tickets worth around $220 total, so about a 34% saving.

I am impressed a 33% savings is very admirable.

Offline BCKev

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:00:48 AM »
I wonder what the percentage differential is between ordering the tickets as a native of that country versus the foreigner price.

To clarify my earlier post, the price I paid in Ukraine at the "foreigner's rate" was still much better than what I would have paid in Canada. It was a package deal, flights and hotel, so I can't say if there was much (if any) discount on the flights alone. It has been a while, but I think the difference between the residents rate and foreigners rate was about 10%.

Thanks for the info Chris. I would be very surprised if there was as large a difference on international flights.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:52 AM »
To clarify my earlier post, the price I paid in Ukraine at the "foreigner's rate" was still much better than what I would have paid in Canada. It was a package deal, flights and hotel, so I can't say if there was much (if any) discount on the flights alone. It has been a while, but I think the difference between the residents rate and foreigners rate was about 10%.

Thanks for the info Chris. I would be very surprised if there was as large a difference on international flights.

Actually BCKEV

I have done that a few times also and there was a saving from Ukraine to the UK and return of about 10% I seem to remember, but that was 2 years ago, not sure now, but there was no saving doing it the other way - UK to Ukraine. I had my then UW book a couple of times and it could only be done her way, not for me to visit her because the internet sites automatically knew where you were booking from and redirected me back from the .UA site to the .co.uk site, but she managed to save by booking at a travel agent within the Ukraine.

I think that is the only way to save to be honest, get your RW/UW to book offline at a travel agents.
Слава Україні

Offline BCKev

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:35:26 AM »
I think that is the only way to save to be honest, get your RW/UW to book offline at a travel agents.

That's what my thoughts were, but I was guessing. I'll be back in Ukraine in a month or so and we'll pay a visit to a local travel agent then.

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:37:39 AM »
That's what my thoughts were, but I was guessing. I'll be back in Ukraine in a month or so and we'll pay a visit to a local travel agent then.

As far as I can tell booking with local travel agents is the way to go?

Offline Shadow

• Ochag - Family fireplace
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:09:07 AM »
Expedia offers for $ 1014 in August. Price my vary with season so try a smart search.
2 know more than 1 but 100 know less

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
 Alfie,

You're scaring me a bit, she won the GC lottery..ok, so did my girlfriend Nataly, as you probably know, but is she asking you to pay for her flight? That's a big no no my friend, I'm sure you know that.

Anybody know if Uzbekistan even offers the GC Lottery?

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »
Alfie,

You're scaring me a bit, she won the GC lottery..ok, so did my girlfriend Nataly, as you probably know, but is she asking you to pay for her flight? That's a big no no my friend, I'm sure you know that.

Anybody know if Uzbekistan even offers the GC Lottery?

Nope, she needed information about ticket prices, that's it...
Just to make sure that she wasn't getting ripped off and what not.

Actually, UZ is on the list for qualified GC lottery tickets.

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 01:54:15 PM »
 Ok, cool...sounds good, I hope she is a good match for you. Any phone conversation, or just e-mails?  How is her English? Your in Utah though right? She is going to New York?

The cool thing about what happened with nataly and I is that when she won the GC lottery, she came to California, to my home city of San Jose...she lived 5 minutes from my sister  :)

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »
Ok, cool...sounds good, I hope she is a good match for you. Any phone conversation, or just e-mails?  How is her English? Your in Utah though right? She is going to New York?

The cool thing about what happened with nataly and I is that when she won the GC lottery, she came to California, to my home city of San Jose...she lived 5 minutes from my sister  :)

I hope that she's a good match. e-mails, phone conversation so far... her english is very weak... I'm in Utah yes and she plans to fly straight here from Tashkent.

I just hope that she doesn't act so jealous or bad-tempered however. I seriously would like to take cautious steps before finalizing anything. After all, any relationship is going to be dealing with the good and the bad.

Offline BCKev

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 06:34:29 PM »
As far as I can tell booking with local travel agents is the way to go?

Can't say if a local travel agent is the way to go or not, but it is a good option to check out.

I did some checking for Tashkent to NYC flights and also found the best pricing on Expedia.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 10:26:31 PM »

Kev glad to read your on your back to the Zinx's   Incase you wondering about the city of Dnepropetrovsk, you can drop in to this travel agency. It's about a block from the Beer House where we rang in that SRM's B-day ! ;D   I have used them to book before.
 the website is :www.aviatour.dp.ua 
They have English speaking staff,and Arina can even call them if needed at
 (056)744 04 04

For booking tickets guys , I have always gotten the best price by heading to my local travel agent.  One trip over I booked locally after comparing the price at a online expedia My local agenct saved me $1000.00 ! :o   It was the exact same flights there and back.  So don't leave them out when you are looking to book.

Offline gjv1956

• Oct. 4th 2008
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 04:24:50 AM »
My fianc`e Yulia just ordered tickets from a travel agency in Minsk Belarus for $618 to Cleveland. My best price I could find was $872 either online or locally. Just wired the money and saved about $750 on 3 tickets....  The tickets are even refundable if her visa is not granted next week. ( At least Minsk to Chicago, Chi. to Cle. isn't).    Good luck to you....
Jerry

Offline Qi Peng

• Byebye Kitty!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 08:27:55 AM »
My fianc`e Yulia just ordered tickets from a travel agency in Minsk Belarus for $618 to Cleveland. My best price I could find was $872 either online or locally. Just wired the money and saved about $750 on 3 tickets....  The tickets are even refundable if her visa is not granted next week. ( At least Minsk to Chicago, Chi. to Cle. isn't).    Good luck to you....
Jerry

congrats! I hope that everything goes well, sir :)

Registration